Chrome OS

Can someone here tell me about the current state of ChromeOS? Does anyone here use it? What is it like when you have no internet connection?

I'm considering getting one for my little brother for his homework but I don't know if he'll always have internet access.

Attached: 1534869424647.jpg (2560x1440, 697K)

Other urls found in this thread:

statista.com/statistics/276623/number-of-apps-available-in-leading-app-stores/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Put GNU/Linux on it

Chrome OS is GNU/Linux.

It's shit, please don't buy it. Its only upside is that it supports apps from the google play store. An iPad or Normal computer would be much better.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 17.33.32.png (1365x766, 232K)

>It's shit
because? I can get an HP Chromebook 14 G5 for 115euros.

Shouldn't it be fine for homework tho? He'd just need a google account and could use google docs which is more than enough for some homework and power points.
Now if he'd like to do more and play games. then obviously it's not good enough unless you install Linux on it

>buy
what about chromium os?

If you're only looking for a web browser it's acceptable, but a chromebooks functionality ends there. Want to use any software not in the web store or play store? Fuck you.

you can install linux apps.

I'm not sure why people here hate it so much. Perhaps it is youth. When I was in college, I would have killed for a cheap machine that backed everything up online, and got 12 hours of battery life doing it. I also tire of the "what if it doesn't have internet?" argument. What if you're non-chromebook didn't have internet? What would the difference between the two be?I have one I keep laying on my bed for shitposting and browsing when I wake up and before I go to sleep. Falls off the bed? Who cares. I roll over on it? Who cares. The battery actually dies after like two weeks? Oh well. My only advice is to get one with a 1080 screen. I can't fucking stand 1366x768 garbage.

>netbook that's only capable of running a browser for the price of a fully functional thinkpad

>for the price of a fully functional thinkpad
with an ancient type screen, shit battery life, 5x the weight, and used for many years by some nerd*

There is more software in the play store than the entire existence of PC software, just saying I don't think you are knowledgeable enough to speak on this subject

I'd like a source on that claim. How do they even count every single pc program in existence?

I just need to do more with my computer than use the web browser, even as a student. My grandma uses it for an HTPC and loves it, but she has another laptop she keeps in her study that she uses for paperwork and taxes and things like that

ChromeOS is hands down the best OS you can give to a kid/old people. Being based on Gentoo Linux, it's inherently secure. Constant updates from Google with a guaranteed 5 year update schedule for your device. Battery life is top notch and the device itself is pretty much foolproof unless you're little brother is a drooling retard. As far as offline use, you'd just have to set Google Docs to save files for offline use. Without internet, you won't be doing much. There's also out of the box and did app/play store support.
Well then ChromeOS isn't for you.
The 768p screens aren't bad if you're getting the smaller 11.6" devices. Anything beyond that sucks.

For reference I have a Toshiba CB2 (2015). Gets 10+ hours of battery life. More if I keep the screen brightness down to 50%
>Intel Celeron 3215U dual core
>4GB DDR3
>16GB internal storage (2242 type m.2 SSD, replaceable)
>13.3" 1080p IPS panel
>MicroSD slot
>3 cell battery

>netbook that's only capable of running a browser
>and Linux apps
>and Android apps

Retard

It literally is just Gentoo for retards

The only version of Gentoo that got beyond 0.00002% of market share*
Ftfy

Not talking about the quantity of apps on the play store, the quality. Everything on the play store is dumbed down for phones.

Docs is fucking awful and Slides is worse. Just wait until he has a teacher who's strict about formatting. He will get a worse grade than his MS Word-using peers.

statista.com/statistics/276623/number-of-apps-available-in-leading-app-stores/

You just assume the programs are dumbed down? There are MANY software solutions available for this platform Android is after all the most WIDELY USED operating system in world history. Don't get it twisted Im not shilling I just think your comments are loaded with assumptions

brutal but based

Thanks but it's behind a paywall and it seems to be only about apps. Obviously Google and Apple would know how many apps they host on their stores but keeping track of every single pc program ever is clearly not possible

UwU I want to drive down that road

>Install Gentoo
>Install chrome
>Profit

it's already gentoo

Not enough

it's the most useful gentoo has ever been

Sucks major cock. Google Chrome with a keyboard and screen strapped to it.

chromium os is fucking retarded or i'm too retarded to get the right version of it, i have a piece of shit lenovo 11.6" laptop that my little sister got for xmas and it runs bloated windows 10 like absolute ass and i want to make it a little better as i feel sorry for her. linux isn't an option as she wants an app store, win 7 runs good but doesn't have app store, win 8/8.1 only slightly runs better than 10. chrome os would be perfect for it as theres play store support but apparently with the chromium os nextcloud? one it doesn't fucking support running apks. so what the fuck is even point? a fucking os that literally only runs a web browser.

if you're using a chromebook and have not installed galliumOS (or pretty much any other distro) on it, then you are a cuck, plain and simple.

It can also run linux apps you retard

sell shitty laptop, get shitty smartphone
app store all day long