Did anyone actually enjoy their experience in college while getting their CS or CE or EE degree...

Did anyone actually enjoy their experience in college while getting their CS or CE or EE degree? I think about dropping out all the fucking time. I feel like I could learn almost all of this shit on my own and the math courses are so ridiculous, I go to one of those schools that make the math classes artificially harder than they actually are and need to be. It makes me hate math now. What were you experiences like though?

Attached: 1147390_1.jpg (630x630, 38K)

I feel you user. But what makes me want to dropout are the pointless projects and works we have nothing to do with the real world

Oh yeah I know what you mean. I don't really mind it all that much because I enjoy programming and doing challenges/projects, but I'm not gonna lie either some of the shit they make us do is fucking stupid. I feel like just skipping all of this but I really want to have a degree. Shit sucks big time.

I fucking hate it, the worst part is being forced to work in groups.

I loved university. Also love math.

nope that's why i dropped out and got a good job instead

>I think about dropping out all the fucking time.
Did consider this option the first three semester quite a lot. Now I´m 25 and in the fourth semester.
Will propaply just push through somehow, even though I hate it.

>It makes me hate math now
Same here. I somehow started to like solving problems. But there are exercises, where I also could jump out of the windows. Especially calculus.
Fucking hell. That is so depressing.
I am propaply a brainlet as well.

And I hate the rest as well. I am outgoing and everything. But jesus christ. I would love to do something worthwhile finally.

Same, I‘m basically doing the same at the moment.
Started worling part-time beside studying, within the next 2 month I switch to the central IT of the company and stay there without degree.
It‘s not even that hard, you just learn stuff you‘ll never need in real life.

Imagine paying for college and not getting a degree out of it. What a waste
>math is artificially hard
Are you sure? Or was every class you had in grade school just artificially easy

I really enjoyed math in high school even when the material was difficult. I didn't mind it at first but then I started to notice that the math department literally piles on work and exercises and makes the HW hard as fuck on purpose, and half of it isn't on the exam. I really don't like that at all, you're just making it hard for the sake of it instead of letting the class be hard on it's own. It makes me hate math so much now it pisses me off.

Yeah it fucking sucks and I dropped out after two years. I stayed in long enough to pass Data Structures and Algorithms and fucked off to get a job, if you know what you're doing and just act like a likeable human being you can get a pretty comfy job without a degree.

Hey bros I’m in a unique situation where I need to finish my CS degree online. I can probably scrape together credits for the first two years but are there any reliable options to finish up the meatier part of it?

Honesty I think about doing this more and more. I'm 5 classes short of a AS in CS and Math, and I really don't wanna do this bullshit anymore. But at the same time I think to myself I may as well get this done now while I have the opportunity. Not gonna be able to leech off my parents forever.

>literally piles on work and exercises and makes the HW hard as fuck on purpose
yeah same here

But that´s what they call normal, since you need to understand it blablabla
The exams then are doable if you´ve been able to solve all the HW on your own.
But since that is nearly impossible, you need to be somehow gifted or work 3 times as hard for a good grade.

Wait untill you get Algorithms and Data structure. Things won´t get easier. But it´s all doable. It just fucking sucks and is depressing as fuck. I never was so down like I´m in college. And to set this in perspective: I lost already my mum.
College just feels like a never ending fucking hell. Accept it and push trough it. I know it´s hard.

Other option: Drop out when you know what you´re doing.

no, school sucks but it is just an endurance test. Life after is 100x better

> assuming you are actually at a good school

>Wait untill you get Algorithms and Data structure
Are you talking about the one you take sophomore year or senior year? Because I already took the sophomore one and I found that class to be insanely easy, and I'm not saying that in a bragging way either. The only thing that really confused me was AVL trees, the rest was pretty straight forward.

senior year. It is propaply different in my university.
I know from people who have it in the sophmore year, that it is quite easy.
But here you need the basics of programming and calculus all together.
One of the few subject, where even Autists need to put in some work here

Dude, where the fuck did you get the idea that you're gonna learn anything in college?

Remember that, college is just to get a degree and that's it, so you'll be a step ahead when a job opportunity requires a degree.

>Did anyone actually enjoy their experience in college while getting their CS or CE or EE degree?
yeah but it really had nothing to do with the classes themselves. It was more hanging out with friends, and "the grind" with colleagues before midterms/finals was, while stressful, a lot of fun.

If you had no friends I could see why you'd have a horrible time lol. Just talk to people OP.

I'm currently a CS grad student teaching a course in automata theory to CS undergrads. I loved underrad CS and continue to make decent income as a grad student due to a stipend and high paying internships. AMA

how do I go from zero to 150k hero in CS?

I'm going to a okay state university. I'd consider grad school.

Grad school isn't necessary but if you can get a master's in under 2 years it's a massive pay bump.

Second, don't accept any low paying internships just because it's with a famous startup. As an undergrad it's totally fine to work at IBM or w/e for $24 an hour (provided you're somewhere cheap to live), however that's nothing compared to what you get paid by places like google or nvidia. Basically don't sell yourself short when applying for internships is my best advice. Always apply for the places at the top even if you don't think you're qualified yet.

Building on this, don't be afraid to apply to big companies - it's free after all. My friend convinced me to apply to a Google internship randomly and to my surprise, I got it.

Ye and I dropped and went with MIS, turns out I can talk to people and that's just as valuable in the eyes of many businesses. I basically just dictate tickets to other people if I can't solve them myself and am scraping together more and more knowledge. Maybe I'm just a brainlet but I'm happy.

I'm not too sure how the upper level CS classes work, but I think they're gonna require discrete math a lot more than calculus. In fact I'm not even sure why calculus is required in the first place you don't even need it. MAYBE trig for some programs if that.

>I'm not even sure why calculus is required in the first place you don't even need it.
Image processing, machine learning, telecommunications are a few applications I can think of.

machine learning is a meme

Math is legitimately shit in many colleges lmao. I’ve had maybe 2 good professors in my full math minor at my college and even then 1 of those good professors gave homework that was way harder than the coursework for no reason other than “If you can do the homework you’ll be fine in the course!!”

>Imagine paying for college and not getting a degree out of it. What a waste
That's pretty much the only reason I haven't dropped out by now. I was curious though if most people secretly feel this way and hate it.

>Are you sure? Or was every class you had in grade school just artificially easy
I'm almost positive that's what happening, in that the math department purposely makes the math classes way harder than they really are. I understand you don't want to give out easy grades, but this is ridiculous. Then you throw in the fact no class gets curved on top of it.
That's the same thing they say to me. It's fucking stupid though because if you get stuck and can't figure it out you're basically fucked. The whole part of HW is to give you practice, so if it's too hard to the point where you can't do it on your own then why bother? Then we wonder why everyone hates math so much.

Half of it isn't in the exam because they have to make it easier, not because that stuff is not important.

HW was optional in my uni though, but I did it anyway.

In my case, those Business and Social Science classes are ones that annoy the shit out of me. They are fucking pointless and waste of time. They are trivial classes which teach me almost nothing but the profs in charge those always try to make them super important.

It must not be that important if they're not testing you on it, now is it?
The worst are the ones that make the class way more tedious than necessary, like assigning a shit load of reading or requiring a short paper every week, or docking points because you're not "participating in the class discussion"

same, my EE classes were based as fuck but now I'm a code monkey. if it makes you feel better OP your job will likely be incredibly boring and make use of

feels like the professors are just churning you out like its a business. and most of them seem so fucking bored

I felt like it was a gigantic waste of money except for the part where I got a piece of paper in the end. Thankfully, I had the good sense to pick a relatively cheap in-state school, and my advice is to do the same, spending as little as you realistically can to get that piece of paper.
I kept expecting for the classes to impart some sort of grand enlightenment and they never did. I graduated with very little practical real-world experience. Only when the post-graduation boredom set in did I actually bother to try and get a more complete understanding of programming in practice, and that's what I was missing - practice and self-driven research.
I probably couldn't tell you what a monad is or what the meaningful difference between NFA and DFA is, but I have enough practical experience to do a decent job at work and enjoy programming as a hobby too, and that's what counts.

>Tfw all of my professors had their doctorates and they had a hard time dumbing down the material
It was rough, but I made it out. Got a job in my field [spoiler]even though it took me six years after graduation.[/spoiler]

I hated uni, but worked really hard and got good marks. I think I may have anxiety or autism though, so take that as you will.

>Tfw all of my professors had their doctorates and they had a hard time dumbing down the material
It was rough, but I made it out. Got a job in my field, even though it took me six years after graduation.

i did a physics degree so math was pretty sink-or-swim for me
you can learn everything you need for a software job in good depth in a couple of months on your own if you aren't retarded

If they tested it most of the class would fail. They simply understand that many people aren't good at math but at the same time the better students can learn the more advanced things.

>Went to school for CS, information systems track
>Had to take to take two levels of accounting
>These were "Foundation Courses" which were required to graduate
For what purpose?

All of the math was such a waste of time. So many hours dedicated to shit that will be forgotten in a few months because those maths aren't even applied until grad level.

And even then, you don't really use it in the field unless you become an engineer.

This. Based bloomer

CS is not a webdev bootcamp.

>Have to learn some meme program
>It's literally a glorified graphing calculator but costs the uni hundreds per license
>Have to pass 3 "live tests" in it to be allowed to write maths exam
>live tests are basically mini exams
>Maths exam itself has literally nothing to do with that shit program

>first semester
>first lecture
>Professor starts talking about CPU architecture
>People start asking "Whats a CPU?"
>theyareserious.exe
>instantly lose all motivation and never go to the lectures
>pass all exams with near perfect score

>one girl fails all three programming tests needed to be allowed to write the exam for the course
>one of them was literally (in C) creating an array with some random numbers of your choice then sorting them from smallest to largest and then copying them reversed into array2
>still allowed to write the exam
>gets literally 0 points

By the end of the first semester we were literally 18 people left out of 50. We are even less now. They are all retards that have no idea about maths, programming or IT in general. I want to fucking die, I thought uni would be fun, but not only are they retards with the professors trying to make shit as easy as possible so they have any chance to follow, they are also horrid people that are no fun to hang out with.

I decided to get out with just an associates degree. This is my 4th year, I wasted my first year pretty much and then I transferred to a uni that had strict CIS requirements. I passed all my CIS classes except one (I had an A in the class but got a D+ on my lab final which automatically failed the course for me). After that happened I decided to gtfo and get in the workforce. I never did enjoy college; I commuted to both uni's and I didn't make friends at all. I start my job hunting next month.

CS is not meand for people who only want to put a few buttons on a website, you won't even learn most of that stuff at all.

It is for people who will build the compilers, machine learning algorithms, maybe create their own language.
It's for people who will be the next generation of actual computer scientists, writing papers and advancing the field. If all you want is to be a webdev sure you won't need CS.

t.pajeet

you can learn all that without having to take classes from math departments that get a boner from weeding out non math majors

Have you ever even seen the average CS student? Cause judging by that comment you obviously haven't.

>especially calculus
tfw straight A math boi
currently doing calc 5B in accelerated program
the demotivation is too fucking real, and thats already with the fore knowledge that I know I'm a brainlet

I have, but at least the better students have a chance to learn those things.

Exams are often easier than the homework, because the professors understand that many people simply want to be coders and the CS degree is simply something many companies want to see.

And I don't see how you can become an actual computer scientists if you can not pass the math exams. If you only want to code, there are other paths.

This is the perfect example of what I'm talking about. Academia faggots that are completely detached from reality, trying to lecture everyone else on why you have to revolve your entire academia career around math you'll never use outside of school. This is why people hate math because it's not taught in a useful and practical way, and then you have professors that make the courses insanely hard for no reason.

Of course there are better paths to be a code monkey. But a CS degree directly translates to a way higher pay which is why people flock to it. What I don't get is why standards get lowered (which they definitely did) so more people can get a CS degree which have negative knowledge about maths and then end up as overpayed code monkeys.

Because the vast majority of jobs outside of school will not require that deep level of math knowledge. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? If anything they should make the CS classes harder, then at least you'll get something useful out of it.

>If anything they should make the CS classes harder
That is exactly my fucking point? Can you read user?

You brought up this point
>so more people can get a CS degree which have negative knowledge about maths
when, again, almost no one outside of school gives a shit how much math you know or can do

>Out of touch pajeets are out of touch
Big surprise.

Yea that sucks. At least in my uni I still feel like it was hard enough though, only the exams were sometimes easy, but if you did all the homework you definitelly learnt some advanced stuff.

There probably should be a separate programming degree and companies that only need normal coders should start accepting people with that degree.

>What I don't get is why standards get lowered (which they definitely did) so more people can get a CS degree which have negative knowledge about maths and then end up as overpayed code monkeys.
And what is so hard about that to understand?
You don't need CS to be a code monkey so why lower the standards to a point that everyone runs around with a meaningless degree?
Do you need a CS level understanding to be a code monkey? No. Then you don't need a CS degree.

I enjoy mathematics when I am working on a practical application that makes me appreciate the theory.
I am so bored of my current IT job, I am not doing anything technically challenging or exciting.
I feel like I am stagnating.

I enjoy flight simulators and want to try my hand at making a mech simulator in my free time or at the very least create a model of bipedal locomotion.
Currently digging through some material from university primarily dynamic, calculus, control systems, and numerical methods.
I'm so rusty and bad at mathematics, but the end goal keeps me going even if at a snails pace.

My starting point is a research paper on the synthetic wheel which might be one of the simplest models to start with.
I have to have an understanding of the simple pendulum and an inverted one to be able to model it.
Found a very good lecture on elliptic integrals that covers pendulums very well.

Because most employees won't even call you the fuck back unless you have a degree. Like it or not the vast majority of the people that go to college, do so because they want a higher paying job. I don't agree with making it easier but the flip side of it is just as bad, forcing people to take classes they have no interest in and then forcing them to work incredibly hard in those classes, what purpose does that serve? Because it's a rite of passage, or because you want to make students "work"? It makes no sense.

9 classmates tried to expel me over a joke because they didn't like my work ethic

Than that's the fault of the employers. And why do they want someone with a CS degree? Because they know they had to pass math, even if you won't need most of the math, good math skills are definitelöly correlated with a higher IQ, which is always a good thing.

Now if you make the degree super easy, it will no longer have any value. Basically at that point an employer should look at someone with a CS degree and someone who only passed a few bootcamps the same way.

>9
how

LIE ABOUT HAVING A DEGREE

Lie on your CV about having a degree. That's how I got hired. Most employers don't ask for proof and you can always just say you've taken a job elsewhere if they start asking for transcripts or something.

Attached: 1552008729064.jpg (2048x1365, 155K)

It was a clique of friends that didn't like me.

I get it that employers want to see a degree, but it's a losing game. Because if you lower standards because employers want it soon those same employers will realise that a degree is worth nothing anymore and poof that degree got devalued for literally nothing. Academia should not be concerned with employer trends.
And if people want a high paying job they should work for it easy as that. Cause the way things are going right now (and that is not exclusive to IT it just hasn't reached our field yet) degrees will soon literally not be worth the paper they are printed on because standards got lowered till everyone and their dog had a degree in a field that previously had very few but extremely qualified people.

>And why do they want someone with a CS degree? Because they know they had to pass math
You are fucking deluded if you really believe that

It's not only math, you learn many useful things, many are based on the math you learn in the first few semesters. How will you understand machine learning without basic math skills?

You do relativelly little coding for a CS degree, so it can't be that they only want coding skills, otherwise they would not care about the degree.

either they were uptight assholes or you were the deadweight. Either way, that's a poor response and they're fucking retarded. Just don't work together, simple. Takes infinitely less energy to just ignore, christ.

Lecturers and Associates are the ones who put tripping you to get your degree. Think about it.

We're already at that point right now. Employers demand everyone and their mother go to college, get 4 year degrees or masters/phds and then when they get hired they want you to hit the ground running. The whole thing is a shit show and the system is beyond broken, and everyone knows it.

I'm in my first programming class ever, so far it's a 90% failure rate for the class (teacher lets us see everyone's marks anonymously)

>90% failure rate to program hello world and hangman over 3 months
wtf

he's lying, unless he goes to MIT no school fails that many students in the intro class

i'm self taught and can't really afford to go to school at this point but it sounds kind of comfy.
that being said I did about a year of college and failed calc 2, english and "multicultural history", so I have a bad taste in my mouth

How did you fail English and the "show up and tell shaniqwa she's okay in this 30 minute assignment class"

i wrote an essay about koreans eating dogs. I was 19 at the time.
I'm not very good with abstract goals like getting a degree.

You are the perfect candidate for lying about having a degree. Our society betrayed us. The social contract is like any other contract: when one party breaks the terms of the agreement, the other party is released of their obligations. Credentialism, grade inflation, rising cost of education, student loans, and rampant political correctness has made college worthless for most people. Yet society still requires it for success.

REBEL. You should put a college degree on your CV and claim, without guilt or embarrassment that you fulfilled your end of the social contract. You are one of our society's forgotten, but you do not have to suffer pointlessly for mistakes made by others.

Claim a college degree, and give a big FUCK YOU to credentialism and academia which no longer serves a purpose

Attached: 1550264663112.png (1920x1200, 34K)

I'm not lying, the teacher and department are incompetent.

They're actually proud of having a 50%+ failure rate in their programming classes. It's like a kitchen where the chefs boast about how many meals they burn.

I absolutely hated my first two years. I mean I hated them. They were the worst of the worst classes. My junior year and now (I am a senior doing my capstone) I love it. It makes the first two years worth it. Especially the math. The early courses are weed out courses. They exist and they’re there because 1) when you’re at the university, they already made their money off of you, and 2) if you can’t do the hard hard stuff (or work through it) then you’ll give your UNI a bad name when you graduate.

The sentiment is good. But he will fail the ”it says here you received a degree in computer science, but where did you go to school?” Part of an interview if he rambles about academia and creditials in society.

University was a gigantic waste of time.
But of course all the boomers are like go to uni blah blah blah.

It’s all about the piece of paper unless it’s math based.

That's why you pick a respectable but small state school. This is easy here in California where the CSU and UC system are state-operated and also well respected. But it doesn't take much research to learn a bit about the school you claim to have graduated from.

This strategy is best for drop-outs because they can just claim to have graduated from schools they actually went to. So they will know all the details. That's what I did.

BTW it is illegal for schools to release information about students. So employers cannot check by themselves, they can only request information from you or possibly do a background check which are notoriously incomplete and unreliable.

We all should be lying about our degrees to accelerate the collapse of this corrupt system

Attached: 1516159854063.jpg (480x431, 36K)

I don't have enough orthodox knowledge about CS like canonical algorithms and what they are called. I pretty much do trial and error for optimization but if I get to an interview and claim I have a CS degree they'll grill me on what a 'wumbotree' is and I'll spill my spagetti.
Also my work experience starts and goes through when I should have been in school, so if I moved it up to accommodate the 4 years then my employer can't verify it. I guess I could lie about my age too since it doesn't come up often.

I never worked with them in a group which was the funny part

Your individual circumstances might make this a hard tactic to employ. But remember, you don't have to limit yourself to claiming a CS degree. Any BS degree is valuable to many employers. Even BA degrees are worth faking. At the very least you should be claiming a BA in English, Political Science, or maybe Biology if you are a science nerd.

This is about broadening your options and maximizing your future earnings. Sadly, CS might be out of reach but that doesn't mean you have to suffer from our society's unconscionable prejudice against non-degree holders.

Claim SOME degree, it almost doesn't matter which

No, I absolutely hated school. Work is cool though.

DELET THIS, I'M PAYING $6,000 A YEAR FOR COMMUNITY COLLEGE CLASSES OUT OF POCKET

Funny because I absolutely hated work; school is cool though.

You should stop doing that, work on building a portfolio of useful/interesting open source projects, and then lie about having a degree when applying for jobs

Benja?

Britbong here, uni was terrible, only final year was engaging.
Work experience was the single most beneficial and enjoyable part of my degree.
At least it only cost like £10K for 4 years.

This is the absolute worst advice I’ve seen in any thread.
>“Drop out of school and lie about your credentials.”
In a job, an actual one, you will be fucking railed and blacklisted if you’re caught- which you most likely will be.

How many credits? That's a lot for community college

This is such garbage.
They cut out all the math because so many people failed and they wouln't get as much gobermint bucks anymore. Now with all the math gone half of the people still get btfo. I really don't get it. What are these dumbfucks doing? Courses are a fucking joke. Do a bit of work with program a and a bit with program b. Instead of exams we have projects now which is basically just
>open a new project in this program
>import data
>write 500 words on which button you clicked when
>done
In the first few semesters I very rarely attended any lectures at all and only came once at the end to do write my exam. I learned everything at home from books. Now I can't even do this anymore because there is nothing to learn. The lectures are a circlejerk. Nothing gets teached. NOTHING. The exam mostly consists of open ended questions to check if you attended the lectures. This is fucking gender studies. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhheofihrvubrvlkjr
I should have gone for applied math or smth.

Got aerospace engineering degree was fun all 4 years because made friends and did other stuff while I was there.