Are flux, redshift, etc. a meme? Do this apps that allegedly filter blue light work, or are they just placebo?

Are flux, redshift, etc. a meme? Do this apps that allegedly filter blue light work, or are they just placebo?

Attached: apps.17900.13535643415372754.50de13c9-fdf0-49f0-baf6-2bed60ff6f18.788b25b3-1b6e-4e14-9404-9207ad4d52 (310x310, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/wingdi/nf-wingdi-setdevicegammaramp
tannerhelland.com/4435/convert-temperature-rgb-algorithm-code/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

kinda works for me

Don't know.
Waiting for the Jow Forums experts now.

I never noticed a difference.

>Do this apps that allegedly filter blue light work
turn off the lights in the room and use them
is the light coming off the screen and reflecting off the surfaces opposite, still predominately identifiable as blue light?

there's your answer

when I used it at night I never had to strain my eyes but the orange is just too annoying imo

You can just decrease the brightness if you are working at night.

It's not the same though.

i don't know but when i get a headache setting it for about 2700K (or lower) makes using the computer a bit more bearable

doesn't really matter desu
if you want it to be a meme, just enable vignette and emerald city under "effects and extra colors"
otherwise, just switch it to halogen when you feel some eye strain or leave it on auto

Yeah, it's better.

my phone dosnt rape my eyes in the middle of night with a blue light filter on is my experience

Attached: wallpaper.jpg (2027x1140, 3.07M)

turn it on, wait for night to come and then turn it off again
you'll notice that it makes a difference

My eye doctor sister uses them so I use them too

it 100% works, I've been using it on every screen for years including setting my TVs to warmer settings. I would never want to go back to colder color temps at night, shit burns.

>a) ask Jow Forums shitposters
>b) look online for peer reviewed scientific research

what a dilemma

It burns especially when you are on the screen for more than an hour.

Flux is botnet
Redshift is FOSS right
Most phones have a comfort view or you can download night mode / screen filter / night shift app
they do actually help, i fall asleep using my phone or pc all the time though now.

been using it for a couple years now, i barely have any those eye strain headaches now. i used to constantly get them

Write your own.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/wingdi/nf-wingdi-setdevicegammaramp

tannerhelland.com/4435/convert-temperature-rgb-algorithm-code/

>People with settings outside of 2300K-2700K range
plebs

>Are flux, redshift, etc. a meme?
no

>Are flux, redshift, etc. a meme?
yeah because Win10 has a better one built in.

Attached: 1547895535500.png (501x828, 21K)

It cured my severe insomnia, it works 100% (for me at least, but no human being is immune to light)

I've been using them both for years, my preference is Redshift. I can't work without it, screen looks horrible otherwise. I don't notice the change in colour really.

so does gnome :^)

Also this, i use built in win10 one and motorola factory one. Before that i was using redshift on linux, sunset on windows before the update with night light, and twilight on android. Both of these built in ones that i use now have fixed temp tho (yellowish on moto and orange on win)

No. I legitimately fall asleep faster when using them.
I turn them to like 2400K an hour or so before going to bed and watch some YouTube and I fall asleep in a couple of minutes compared to 20 minutes

Gnome you have to edit the dconf to change the temp tho

my eyes literally burn when i turn off redshift

>yellow diffuse lightning near the monitor
>black theme
>blue light filtering
do this and see for yourself
It won't make you a better man but it can help with sleep or simply reduce eyes strain at night.
Don't fall for the rgb lightning in your room, the human is ok with yellow light at night and NOTHING else especially before sleep.

Of course, i don't know how people can live without Flux, once you realise how fucking great it's to have an orange light at night you won't turn back, you will realize how much you have been damaging your eyes without it.

I haven't used gnome in ages but I do remember it having an option to change the temp right in the settings. sad but typical if they removed that recently

I used to have an iphone and one of the things that annoyed me the most was the fact that the build in "flux" it had it was pure shit, the color spectrum wasn't even that orange, fuck iphone, FUCK IPHONE I FUCKING HATE YOU PIECE OF TRASH.

Ive noticed that if I disable it at night after it being on for a few hours the screen makes my eyes hurt, no clue if it actually works regarding sleep though

It's easy to get by without it.
Steps are:

1) calibrate to 6500k @ 120cd/m2
2) be a functioning member of society by having a job
3) get to bed at a proper time

If you follow these 3 steps you will have no issue falling asleep and as a bonus you will not have to stare at a piss-colored screen

No it's not
I've sometimes had to disable the filter after am hour of using it and the screen really hurt my eyes for the brief time I had it disabled

Mate you HAVE TO use Night Light+Pangobright for your desktop
I use PB at 70 or 80 and NL whenever it's dark enough

Definitely not a meme. For me it's a godsent. I use to have sore eyes and random headaches frequently. Ever since using f.lux on my computer and phone though I almost never get either of those anymore. Why don't you just try it out for yourself?

I dunno whether or not they make me sleep better, but it's comfy af for my eyes.

nope. i use lightbulb (on github) and it has more options than the built in one.

what more options do you even need?

iirc the built in one switches the colors instantly or pretty fast. you can change that in lightbulb. i have it set to 1h 30m so that i don't even notice when it switches the colors in the morning or evening

Only works well on non-TN screens

I just set mine to 2700K from the 3400K default, 2700K is comfy as fuck lol

does anyone else have a problem, not with eye strain, but with your eyelashes getting weirdly itchy and your eye bags feeling heavier when staring at monitors?

>built in one switches the colors instantly or pretty fast.
no it doesn't

I can only give my own anecdote. After using "Night Light" in W10 I noticed I was getting more tired at night compared to when I wasn't using it.
I typically go to bed between 10-11PM now instead of like 1-2AM. Could be coincidental but who knows.

It very well could be that I think it makes everything look like shit and am thus less interested to be on the computer.
It might also be straining my eyes.

It works.
From experience, the blue light strains the eyes and keeps the brain producing cortisol, it makes night work a nightmare and kills the eyes. Orange light is better since it lets the brain keep producing serotonin and doesn;t hurt to look at,

orange light AND natural screen dimming is based though.

the reason you feel tired is because you're brains natural clock isn't disrupted by the blue light that would otherwise tell it that it is day rn.

I know that's the claim, but I can't guarantee that's legitimately the cause.

>can't guarantee thats the cause
fuckin wat m8?

I really don't know how to simplify it any more than that. I'm not convinced that's the reason when there are other possibilities that are potentially inducing induce fatigue or decreasing desire for stimulation from the device, rather than something that's supposed to influence the circadian rhythm.
Basically, I'm not automatically affirming the consequent because I have no basis with which to do so.

For those of you that use f.lux, what setting do you change it too when you watch videos? I usually change it to 5000K but I kinda feel like this is too high?

I just disable it until I'm done with videos.

oh, ok.

Never tried this.

No it's not, you fucking moron.

Disable

It's pretty obvious that it works. Just turn on the app, and browse your computer late into the night. Now turn off the app and watch as your eyes are blinded by the light.
Probably still better to avoid all screens though.

Holy shit, THANK YOU. This one works perfectly, lets me set my own fucking times, it's free and not a botnet (probably)

They work.

T. User since launch

You know nothing about human physiology so please talk accordingly. Blue has nothing to do with cortisol, nor does orange with serotonin. Blue raises histamine

Dont know about the circadian rhythm bullshit but it is 110% nicer than regular light when it is night
and you are on a device. No more eyestrain for me. (My eyes are kinda fucked anyway.) YMMV

Attached: 7c40353.jpg (583x767, 87K)