Why yes, I'm an emacs user

>why yes, I'm an emacs user
>what gave it away?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1080x720, 218K)

In the ongoing vim/emacs war, why am I the only one in nano's corner?

Your sausage fingers sir

nano is even worse than emacs...

Give me an awesome handjob and rip my dick off

What disease is this?

That horrid disfigurement going on in your face and on your arms.

Ed is for those with a 140+ IQ

Who /evil mode/ here?

-t. 157 IQ

i've been on this piece of shit website for 3 years now and still don't know if this is a meme.

The editor war dates back to the 70s

It isn't a part of POSIX. It may be crucial when you have to work with various servers through ssh. In the vast majority of cases vim or vi is pre-installed even on minimal distributions.

In the case of a personal use, you can use whatever you like.

the thought of somebody maintaining a huge codebase in nano makes my head hurt.

The user friendliness of nano makes it appealing to anyone who just wants to edit a config file once a blue moon.

>t. free online iq test

.t joined Mensa in fifth grade

>Mensa

Attached: 1519580183571.png (600x724, 420K)

Emac's camp say: use meta keys alongside letters makes it easier to muscle memory certain tasks.
Vim's camp say: change mode, then use letters to perform an action. This way, you don't do weird hand movements.
The Esc Alt Meta Ctrl meme is that is where the name emacs come from.

Saying you use nano like a dumb child is not adding to that debate any more than posting a furry avatar or eating foot fungus.
If you want to use nano, fine. It is basically emacs crippled down to better compete with notepad on Windows.
It also have a gui by default which made it popular.
Vim is basically a gui to ed, but nobody proudly yells out ed as their favorite editor when discussing vim vs emacs.

>It isn't a part of POSIX
And that's a good thing.

There’s always that one guy who uses ed in a vi vs emacs debate. Always. Because ed will never die.

I really don't want to do that in vim either.
Maybe I am in the minority, but I love vim for small edits, but I don't want to spend hours researching how to make it good enough for actual work. There are already editors I can pull from the repository, why write my own?

I wouldn't use the default vim to maintain a small hobby projekt.

But ed only makes sense when you are literally printing out the screen.
Any system with a graphical interface is better off with a gui.
I don't think you can find many systems that can run a Linux kernel and ed which can't run vim.
ed does not make sense as anything other than a history lessons to 12 year old boomers who are learning about editors.

Vim works in the terminal too and terminal editors are always superior to GUI because you never know when Xorg will die on you.

Vim is a graphical program that doesn't need Xorg as it can be run inside a terminal.
By graphical, I mean you can see the document while you edit it.
I was very clear that the opposite to this was ed. That application prints out 1 line at a time and (using the same structure as vim) allow you edit the document.
You cannot effectively use vim if you are using a continuous printer.

As to which graphical interface is better: a terminal or a Xorg application, that is a different debate.
But vim uses a graphical interface.

>I like half assed implementations that leave me in the middle of nowhere
type 10@q

Ed can display a range of lines that you request. Pressing enter goes to the next line. 1,10p prints lines 1-10. And 1,$p prints the entire document.

>be me
>decide I want to learn emacs or vim
>pick vim
>use it throughout uni
>get pretty good at it
>get job doing shit on linux servers
>knowing vim ends up being a huge asset
>$ emacs
>emacs : command not found
>later virgins

Attached: 1548109920985.jpg (334x334, 34K)

>what is TRAMP
why are vimlets so unaware?

We ssh from windows machines.

Yeah, I know nano is crippled down as fuck, but is that really a bad thing? If all I want to do is edit text, I don't see why I should have all this bloat.

emacs exposure

There's Emacs for Windows.

Why do people still pretend like it's 2004 and the X server craps out every other day? I think I average one forced X restart a month. When I was a winlet, the windowing system bugged out every other day.

What a bullshit argument.

Anything can happen. It’s better to be comfortable with terminal editors like vi than panicking like some dumbass because you only know to use a GUI.

if it suits your use case, keep at it. All I have to say is it's vim vs emacs; no mention of nano because the design philosophy is that different.
I will never not support this viewpoint, but not everyone can be like that. Technology is stronger than ever, yet the average user will always prefer a touchscreen system with just one giant GO button.

emacs is the best ide

basic vi is not hard to learn. emacs is better for daily use

Should I switch to emacs?

t. Vim user that doesnt want to donate to Nigerians

Just use spacemacs, best of both with a better meta key.

I started with emacs, went to vim, then came to spacemacs. It's the natural progression.

You look dumb

>Esc Alt Meta Ctrl meme is that is where the name emacs come from.
"editor macros"

Attached: bbkLR28gm-YmftbEVCSBzqKbY9fzjL4T-_HFMJYgTEo.jpg (640x898, 88K)

I spent way too long on this shitpost.

Attached: acmegang.png (376x235, 5K)

Are there any cli editors with a GUI like say, fucking msdos had back in 1990?

My cousin swears by nano
He's on the retard spectrum of autism.

Attached: 1512333295907.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

I use atom