Buy Raspberry Pi for emulation

>Buy Raspberry Pi for emulation
>It's worse than using a Wii
>Try using it for PiHole
>It's worse than just running an adblocker on my router
>Try using it to watch anime on TV that isn't hooked up to a computer
>Can't play back 1080p 10-bit
What the fuck am I supposed to do with this now?

Attached: raspberry_pi_sucks1-702x336.jpg (702x336, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/l4n9th4n9/4459997
youtube.com/watch?v=5OFnqLuYZy8
piratebox.cc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Setup a pirate box at your uni / library / coffee shop with free wifi
Use it as a intranet host
Small seedbox
Fucked if I know.

So it's basically useless. Welp.
Maybe I can use it to see if the mail was delivered. Fuck my life.

Attached: 1553367661002.jpg (500x625, 41K)

problem is reliably supplying power to it
i've been thinking about dropping some orange pi's at public hotspots around my town but i cant figure out how to supply them with power without them sticking out like a sore thumb

I've got one too OP. it just sits in a drawer. occasionally bust it out for emulation but that's handled better on my vita or PC. it also sucked as a pihole.

>So it's basically useless
Pretty much. There are way better boards if you are into embedded or low power SBCs, RaspPi is just the most known one so people buy it without a plan and then end up with a very light small brick.
I did the same. It's now at my uni and I sometime load random shit onto it for people to find, movies, books, etc.

Heavily depends on your environment. I hid mine in the ceiling in one of the rooms at uni. Easily accessible if you know it's there with power just as easily available, but basically no chance anyone will find it till long after I am done with uni. But I got lucky with that cause yeah power is a real concern.

I bought it because I wanted something that could do RGB on my PVM, but it can't even do NES emulation right without stuttering, not to mention the timing is all fucked up when you use GPIO to output RGB, so I gave up.

you're a lucky guy then
i graduated from uni quite a few years ago so i cant just go back and ravage through the ceiling to find where i can connect power and directly to internet (because of eduroam)

Turn it back into a Pihole you fuckin' moron.

Seriously, if you think adblocking on your router is better, you don't belong anywhere near a computer.

Why would I want a DNS server that decides to stop resolving 2-3 times a week? Get a grip.

>pi
>emulation
The only saving grace for the pi is community support, other than that it’s just an underpowered arm sbc outclassed by damn near anything else

>a shitty sbc with memehole is better than a real router
(you)

Old vidya on a CRT. It's annoying trying to get a normal computer to connect to a CRT TV without having input lag or needing an old video card.

As I said, the RaspPi is pretty shite. Had to learn that lesson too sadly.

>eduroam
Oh fuck me. A friend of mine is at a uni that also has it. Pretty much fucked in that case power or not.
You could look into public libraries if you are serious about it. Those usually have some hidden power strips or outlets that can be used.
And yeah I am pretty lucky ngl. Basically no surveillance, and if I want to access it I can just come in some time around 8 or 9 pm when no one but the cleaning crew and some students are around and fiddle with it when needed.
Otherwise if wifi is a concern using a USB antenna is a relatively cheap option to set up your own (possibly hidden) wifi.

>buy shitty weak pc
>surprised it's weak as shit
What exactly were you expecting?

Even for an ARM SBC it's seriously underpowered.

>decides to stop resolving 2-3 times a week
My uptime is over a month. Last time I rebooted was to backup my Pi's microSD. You must have installed something incorrectly.

Feel free to list a few reason's why adblocking from your router is better than using a Pihole. I'll wait

yeah.. i mainly just want to set them up for vpn/reverse ssh or tor/i2p/freenet/etc.

>even for a midget it's short
Sure, but still. Dunno what anyone expects from that garbage.

To be honest I’d rather deal with getting an old video card if it means having S Video or YPbPr

Marketing and it being the most mainstream option with the most exposure and support makes people expect them to be some kind of end all be all.

If you have a Dreamcast, set up DreamPi so you can play Dreamcast games online.

Which Pi did you get?

i purchased one for the express purpose of deploying a low power secondary DNS server in my house. the primary is my server, so figured it would be good to have a second one.
>tfw caching, internal domain, and forward lookups to root servers
need faster forwarders but i don't want botnets.

>10-bit
Nice meme
It plays full HD perfectly fine using ffmpeg and mpv

Yes, there's plenty of anime releases in 10-bit format. If it can't even do that, then it fails at playing anime. Simple.

3B+

I guess that'd be useful, but I can't remember the last time I had DNS issues just using my router alone.

Neat. Thanks user.

Doing S-Video or YPbPr with a Pi is harder than doing RGB.

>You must have installed something incorrectly.
I don't see how I could have fucked anything up when all I did was flash a premade image, did the setup, and had my router point the DNS to the Pi.

Use it as a dashcam. The camera can capture 720p60.

>plenty of anime releases in 10-bit
>Literal fucking cartoons
So, a meme?
And that's even besides the point most monitors and TV's don't even have 10-bit depth

Buy a bunch of sensors from aliexpress, play a bit with it, realize it's still useless and put it away.

Or better yet buy arduinos too because you'll have more fun with that.

>Doesn't understand why you'd want to encode cartoons in a 10-bpc colorspace
Do you also wonder why we use huffman coding?

No. The Pi is a bad dashcam.

Anime website.
And just because not everyone has 10bit it's totally okay that the rasppi is completely useless for his usage scenario? Okay kiddo.

Would it work as some kind of car computer for a 2002 shitter with manual crank windows?

>flash a premade image
Oh shit nigga, you should have installed it yourself. No wonder it stopped working for you. You downloaded some botnet level shit that was probably too busy calling home to perform dns resolution.

I like anime, I just think it's stupid to watch it in 10-bit
>Take multipurpose mainstream tool
>"Why doesn't it do this specialized and niche function??"

I flashed Raspbian. Not a premade pihole image.
There's not much to fuck up when installing pihole. It's two commands.

The source anime in a 10bit encode Isn’t 10bit either, encoding in 10bit supposedly allows for more efficient compression and introduces less color banding when going from Blu-ray to a much more lossy encode

I don't know how you did it either. It boggles the mind

Then again my old router died yesterday, so maybe it was fucking up back then too.
I don't really see what else could have been causing so many issues.
What Pi do you have PiHole user?

Attached: 1521913021530.png (935x717, 1011K)

You could use it for its intended purpose of programming on it yourself.

I have two. Pihole1 is on a RaspPi 3B+ and Pihole2 is a 3B. I had no problem back when I was using a 2B. I believe you that it didn't work, but something really weird must have been going on.

>use GPIO to output RGB
lol wut
why did you expect that to work well

If you have the first version you can easily turn it into a really illegal radio station

Because it actually works somewhat decent when it does work. SNES worked without any issues (other than having to oversample the resolution horizontally) but NES had stuttering no matter what I did to the timings.
What do you suggest? HDMI to VGA? I didn't want input lag.

Have you ever had SD card issues that weren't catastrophic. Maybe that's it.

This is pretty accurate from my experience as well. Pihole is unstable crap

Can you turn it into an SDR?

Only if you buy one of those USB DVB-T sticks. But those work on any PC anyway so there's no real point to use a pi for that

>>Can't play back 1080p 10-bit
Why in the hell is your anime encoded in 10-bit color? Are scene encoders really that stupid, or is this bit of brain-damage your doing?

Takes more information to describe a dithered gradient in 8-bits per channel than it does to describe an undithered gradient in 10-bits per channel.
gist.github.com/l4n9th4n9/4459997

Because some people pause their anime and examine the color gradients for banding instead of watching it.

I work in commercial construction, there are so many places to hide these things

Attached: daiz.png (400x1900, 167K)

>MC and best girl get into a fight
>Best girl slaps him
>Camera pans up to the sky as he's slapped
>Sits on the sky for 10 seconds as she keeps yelling "BAAAAKAAAAAA HENTAI"

Attached: draw-anything-in-japanese-animation-manga-style.jpg (680x383, 31K)

My RasPi 1 does a fine job running PiHole and UPS management.

If the original is 8 bpp, why not preserve whatever is there and do whatever fancy 10 bpp upsample, filter and dither as a filter in the player, not as extra encode steps? That way we'd get the same enhancement on all files, not just fancy color-upsampled ones.

>Have you ever had SD card issues that weren't catastrophic
Nah. I backup my microsd cards like twice a year and then switch out like every second year. You very well might be right though. Bad SD is more likely than anything else.

people with real routers that can run pihole don't buy shitty $35 sbcs with 100mbit ethernet that shares bandwidth with the usb ports expecting it to do a better job of running pihole

the better boards are either more expensive, don't have their drivers in mainline kernel, came way after everybody else did the innovating, target a different audience or niche, lack some features, have not very well documented quirks, or a combination of all of the above
with the pi you know you're getting a mediocre board but you'll still be getting support for it when you pull it out of the drawer for the first time 10 years from now, some chinese boards are practically dead on arrival due to proprietary drivers

If you're getting 100Mbps worth of DNS queries on a network, you really fucking shouldn't even consider running a DNS server on any SBC and not even on your router. Then again, the vast majority of home users and home networks won't get anywhere close to that.

Oh wow. This is the kind of stupid thing you do as a proof of concept to show off to your hacker buddies for a laugh, not something you use to actually distribute video files that you expect people to be able to actually watch.
I guess back in my day, I never had the expectation that the videos I used to pirate were decent quality, they were meant to be disposable and if I actually enjoyed the show enough to want a decent quality I'd just buy or import the real thing.

You don't understand the anime scene then. The mindset is basically "Can't play our weird files? Buy a better PC lol".

>Fuck my life.
the struggle of wasting $30.

I don't really see why you're moaning this much about 10b H264. My C2D laptop from 2009 can decode it at 1920x1080, 24FPS just fine, it's not some impossible hurdle to overcome. Should be fine on anything except the most ancient of computers and I guess SBCs which were never meant to be media center devices in the first place. It's basically a trivial task nowadays. If this results in smaller files at the same quality for whatever use case, I don't see why it shouldn't be used.

Fuck off, it's used for panty pixel hunting.

pihole works great on my PI. maybe try being less retarded?

> not something you use to actually distribute video files that you expect people to be able to actually watch.
Most people who decide to consume pirated anime are using PCs which have no issue with software decoding of 10bit h264, it’s only people using armshit that can’t play it properly

>Successful assassination of Steve Jobs

Attached: IbK9OXL.png (570x634, 340K)

no amount of tech will cure your stupidity

just die in a fire

Just it as a torrentbox with a vpn at a library. I have one as well and I nothing to do with it. You can set up a bot on it but it runs shit on the pi.
Also if anybody wants a real alternative get Arduino boards. Cheap as shit and works better.

Forcing people to download codec packs is user-hostile. If you want to encode a video that you want people to actually watch, you use the most compatible video and audio codecs you can find, encoded in a way that will play on the vast majority of media playing devices. Anything else is pointless wankery and you're bad at your job.

Also you can mine cryptocurrency with it. It's shit but it works.

And at the very least, if you're going to use a cute codec for dumb reasons, at least make sure it works out of the box in VLC. That way, you just limit the badness to a single program, and you don't force them to install codec packs and potentially fuck up playing video content across their entire machine.

Can you elaborate on setting it up as a pirate box? Like a seedbox (or in this case a leechbox)?

You can make it a seedbox or you can make it ssh so you can torrent it at the wifi and then send it to you.

I use mine to run syncthing, apache, an ftp server, openvpn and a shitty twitter bot.

youtube.com/watch?v=5OFnqLuYZy8
Also if you plan on putting this somewhere else then use a vpn to access it and some encryption on it

> I guess SBCs which were never meant to be media center devices
Most media devices (streaming boxes, smart TVs, Android TVs) use some of the same ARM CPUs used in SBCs but those devices where never meant to decode video with the ARM cores and instead use hardware decoders. 10bit H264 is a special case as no one ever implemented HW decoders for it, only 8bit h264 got HW decoders so attempting to play 10bit means using software and the resources just are not there

>codec packs
>VLC
You can just install MPC-HC or MPV and play 10bit without fucking with codecs or VLC

>Forcing people to download codec packs is user-hostile
All the players I use (MPC-HC, mpv, Kodi, Emby server's web player) work with 10b H264 out of the box, no extra user intervention required.
>Anything else is pointless wankery and you're bad at your job.
This is an incredibly stupid statement. Not every release is intended for every use case. Hi10p releases are obviously intended to maintain quality while minimizing file size. Should everything be downscaled to 360p as well, because a 25 year old toaster may not be able to play 720p or 1080p? It's not like there's a hi10p monopoly on pirated video file distribution, just download whatever the fuck you need.

>dumb reasons
>lower file size at the same quality
The literal purpose of video compression is to reduce file size.

Are ARM CPUs still so shit that they can't match the performance of a low-power, mobile C2D CPU from 10 years ago? This shit even plays on my Atom tablet which is like 4 years old, software decoding of course. Is ARM really that garbage?

Like what, 0.000000000001 BTC / year?

Raspberry Pi is useless because it doesn't fit your very special use case. Totally. Give it to someone who is less pathetic than you and maybe spend some time reading up on the things you buy next time.

>Are ARM CPUs still so shit that they can't match the performance of a low-power, mobile C2D CPU from 10 years ago? This shit even plays on my Atom tablet which is like 4 years old, software decoding of course. Is ARM really that garbage?
Pretty much. There's a reason everyone is obsessed with hardware accelerated video decode on ARM devices.

>Are ARM CPUs still so shit that they can't match the performance of a low-power, mobile C2D CPU from 10 years ago?
From a passive observation it sure does seem that way and I find it funny ARM gets shilled when it demonstrates it can’t do what a 10 year old PC can

A pirate box is different to a seedbox.

Install vlc, play videos. It just works, nothing else necessary.

That's rather pathetic, I assumed by now they would have at least caught up to C2D running at a blistering 2GHz.

Unfortunately, VLC eats from the fruit of the poison open sores video codec tree that most codec packs do. It's like having the awfulness of a codec pack contained in one single program. It should be a program of last resort, and video creators should be creating videos that people can actually watch without downloading a terrible traffic cone video player.

Then use MPC-HC or mpv.

That's why I asked poster to elaborate, but can you elaborate on the difference? Is it just using it as a VPN?

>Buy a computer that openly advertises itself as low-spec
>Expect it to be powerful
This is basically your fault

>Try using it for PiHole
>It's worse than just running an adblocker on my router
works for me.

piratebox.cc/

MPC-HC is good without the codec pack.
If you're using MPV that probably means you're also using Linux, which means you probably super duper triple screwed and have no good options like real operating systems do. Raspberry Pi is actually in the minority here because they have on-chip h264 decoding and a well-documented happy path of how to make sure you're using it, but for everybody else, good luck debugging hardware decoding, missing vsync, improper aspect ratio conversion, improper colorspace conversion, improper framerate or broken handling of 3:2 pulldown, and so on.
The people working on open sores are programmers first and generally have very little experience in video editing, so you're almost guaranteed to hit one of the above problems. It's actually a good explanation of why Linux is so shitty as a whole. But hey, at least your terminal windows don't have borders!

>powerful
No one expects it to be Ryzen or i7 powerful but come the fuck on it can’t even match in capability what a decade+ old PC could do

Use it for firewall.

So you follow the crowd without thinking for yourself? Pi's are useful for a ton of reasons, low power usage, small footprint, relatively cheap, runs linux and has software available, has a huge following and as such documented bugs and fixes available for whatever you want to do chances are someone already done it and fixed whatever issues you will find. This device is better than a decade old PC because of all of this, specially the power consumption aspect of it. If you didn't have a clear need for it then why would you buy it to begin with?

Attached: what what.gif (540x304, 1.12M)

Based wii

Install Gentoo on to it and put it into laptop in closure and start talking about how much better it is than any ThinkPad or laptop on the market