/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: rms.jpg (960x716, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=151315
google.com/?gws_rd=ssl
mozilla.org/-en-US/firefox/new/?redirect_source=firefox.com
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?redirect_source=firefox.com
musl-libc.org/
invidio.us
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Full/Networking
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/File_Picker_meme
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, I mean user-friendly, not friendly just to beginners.

Does /fglt/ use Pleroma, Mastodon and the like? Where you're at?

Attached: 1552623056462.png (1920x1080, 1.84M)

Hi friendly linux folks,

Why does my external monitor for KDE neon only work if I turn off secure boot?

Also what is secure boot? I've been out of the game for a long time and am used to the old days when there was only grub...

besides using pkgtool and reading little descriptions, how can I read about what packages I have installed and what they are even for.

I'm using Slackware 14.2

I've tried but I can never get into it.
It's not just those sites though, it was essentially the same experience with every other social media site I've ever tried to get into. It really makes me wonder if there's literally something about some people's brains that just aren't wired for social media.
I just don't "grock" what I'm supposed to do there. Talk about myself I guess? But who wants to read that shit?

how do u bind a key to a bash alias if possible

have joined an instance and hosted one for myself too.
Followed more bots than people, so ended up closing them. Don't really care for social media I guess.

Compiled Wine 4.4 the for the first time. Needed some OpenCL patches and before that I usually only installed the binaries, please excuse my ignorance.
Works already but how do I make the compiled version that is in my /opt folder the standard for the whole system? I think the standard currently is the old 3.x version that is lurking somewhere.
Here, a fruitbat for you for reading this and considering a reply.

Attached: 56847878.jpg (250x333, 13K)

Put /opt first in your $PATH

In bash:$ bind '"\eu": "uptime\n"' would bind ESC + u to run 'uptime'.
Make sure not to overwrite already bound keys. Run $ bind -p to get a list of current keybinds.

bind '"^]]]B": "red"' & bind '"^]]]B": "red\n"' dont work :\\\

This is my third time posting this today because I'm shit out of ideas and patience.
How do I configure input devices on kwin+wayland from cli?
I found this
forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=151315
which seems like it's relevant, but I can't figure out how to configure dbus from a tty, and even if I could it just seems like there has to be a simpler way...

how do i fucking format a partition as raw

Make partition, then don't mkfs. What is it for?

i'm retarded
at least i'm still at the process of installing and i haven't really lost anything
i did dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 and for some reason it fucked my partition table, created 64 fake partitions
i was trying to remove formatting so grub could write to it in MBR

for some reason i always go full retard mode on grub step

grub installation is just
grub-install /dev/sda

, mbr is not a partition

MBR is a partition table type
GPT is a partition table type
I accidentally did everything under MBR because I was using fdisk and I'm used to parted.
Pacstrapped and finished the whole process, then realized at installing grub that I didn't do GPT.
So, I tried to run with it, and I had formatted /dev/sda1 (efi) as fat16, but then it was throwing an error about "fat" and "ext" not supporting embedding.
I try writing it with zeroes, hoping it will wipe any formatting on that particular partition.

Today, I learn a valuable lesson, and that lesson is to not do any experimentation with Linux unless I look shit up beforehand.

just finished installing gentoo, set up my user account and installed sudo but still have to configure a desktop of which i have not decided on yet.
anything i should do before attempting that?

The partition scheme is called msdos, the first 512b is the mbr where the bootloader (grub, ntldr, or lilo if you're an oldfag) lives. Grub has no surprises on bios/legacy boot mode, and lots of surprises on GPT.

Right, however, my laptop supports efivars, so I don't see why not to use GPT. Other than your 'surprises' mentioned with it
One day, I'll get good at installing without getting distracted constantly

About to install Ubuntu, boot SSD storage on HDD. I've already installed windows and partitioned the drives 50/50. From what I read googling around these are how I should organize my partitions:

SSD: /boot: 1GB. /: 15GB

HDD: /usr: 10GB /home: 100+GB. /tmp: 2GB. SWAP: 8GB

What should I change or is this good?

Attached: dark-snail.png (500x334, 63K)

>Description: Debian GNU/Linux 7.11 (wheezy)
What do?

should be fine

Nah
ssd: 20gb /
hdd: rest /home
tmpfs /tmp

just gonna repost my query from the old thread since this just became live:

beginner trying to set up a remote ssh server for non-local connections on my box, but not too sure what I'm doing wrong. I've forwarded my ports and used canyouseeme .org to check if they were being blocked, but they're not by my ISP. using netcat to scan suggests that the ports are open too, but using putty to connect to my public IP either hangs or just says connection refused. I've edited my sshd config to open gateway ports, and still no dice. I don't want to believe I'd have to do something different on Void compared to other distros either.

any anons been in a similar situation? Not really sure what the next steps are or how to proceed.

What's CRUX like? I use Slackware and I heard that it's pretty similar. Would there be any incentive to switch?

so don't worry about /usr? and I want to put tmp and swap 8gb at the end of partition right? I only have 8gb ram atm so I want to have a swap in case I run out of space

No. /boot, /home and / are the only partitions you need. /tmp optionally if you want to do something like tmpfs.

Reposting from the previous thread with slightly more information :

>Try to bind my GPU to the vfio-pci driver for a VM
>Onboard HDA soundcard with a completely unrelated vendor ID and IOMMU group stops working
>Unbind GPU from the vfio-pci driver
>Sound card works fine again

I can see a small difference in dmesg before it succeeds/fails :

When it doesn't work :
>iommu: Adding device [pci device id] to group 21
>iommu: Using direct mapping for device [pci device id]
>snd_hda_intel: probe of [pci device id] failed with error -2

When it does :

>iommu: Adding device [pci device id] to group 21
>snd_hda_intel [pci device id]: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)

There's this "Using direct mapping" line that pops up when my GPU is on the vfio-pci driver and precedes the error, but that didn't lead me to any further information.

what do I use now that trannies have ruined debian?

I am trying to get webkit based browsers to work like surf or vimb, but I am having some trouble.

surf was giving an error saying error writting TLS data or something like that on sites like firefox.com, after googling around for a bit, I managed to fix that after updating gnutls, libsoup, and glib-networking, not sure which fixed it, but it went away.
However it still crashes on some other sites like google.com or firefox.com after loading the initial layout.

vimb gives me the message Webview Crashed for example on google.com/?gws_rd=ssl andon mozilla.org/-en-US/firefox/new/?redirect_source=firefox.com

I tried updating webkit-gtk and gtk+, but it's still happening.

>/-en-US/
/en-US/*

I am trying to get webkit based browsers to work like surf or vimb, but I am having some trouble.

surf was giving an error saying error writting TLS data or something like that on sites like firefox.com, after googling around for a bit, I managed to fix that after updating gnutls, libsoup, and glib-networking, not sure which fixed it, but it went away.
However it still crashes on some other sites like google.com or firefox.com after loading the initial layout.

vimb gives me the message Webview Crashed for example on google.com/?gws_rd=ssl andon mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?redirect_source=firefox.com

I tried updating webkit-gtk and gtk+, but it's still happening.

Bump

Attached: 755B179D-BBBE-45E7-850C-D705FB1C25DA.jpg (1020x520, 61K)

Hey friends, I'm a fairly basic linux user and I'd like a lightweight IDE for lubuntu, running on my T60, any ideas which might not cripple the computer?

what the fuck??? so i installed pulseaudio on debian and then it got stuck on this? i already checked the config and reinstalled it

Attached: Captura de pantalla_2019-03-23_19-37-17.png (504x430, 9K)

the volume doesnt even work

pulseaudio -k
pulseaudio -v

Something that runs on terminal, you could try emacs or vim with some plugins

Gentoo

I have a samba share in /tmp/samba to use it as an "wireless pendrive" in my home network. Which is pretty cool. My /tmp is mounted on a ramdisk, so nothing is persistent - even the samba/ directory. Here goes my question - how should I approach creating it at boot?
As a temporary solution I edited the smb.service file to include:
ExecStartPre=su -c "mkdir -p /tmp/samba" sambauser

So, what's the proper approach of doing that?

I would do it with a tmpfs on /srv/smb.

thanks, note taken

Trying to pick out a Void Linux ISO... what's the difference between void-x86 and void-x86-musl?

Welcome to /faglit/

musl is an alternative to gnu libc
musl-libc.org/

The Void ISO comes with 2 different C libraries, glibc (GNU C library, the standard one a lot of distros use) and musl, another lightweight one.

The different ISOs refer to installs with those different libraries prepackaged iirc. the regular void-x86 is with glibc; I'd recommend it if you don't care which C library you're using,

musl is like glibc but with more compatibility problems and no multilib

Thanks anons

Just use Arch you contrarian faggot

Bump

Attached: C114C594-34BC-45AC-9D89-6B4FC36B3718.jpg (400x400, 39K)

You're the only Slackware installation here.

There's definitely at least a few who've used slackware that lurk here. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one to show up.

I've managed to find the culprit : the GPU's integrated sound card.

>Pass it through, motherboard sound card breaks
>Don't pass it through (but pass through the other parts of the GPU), sound card works

It still makes no fucking sense, and nothing is fixed because I HAVE to pass through that fucking GPU sound card because of IOMMU, but it's something.

I suppose one solution would be to use the ACS override patch and see where that leads me, but apparently the >Arch build that integrates it is not up to date.

Is gnome on wayland ready? or would you run xorg?
Fedora 29 seems to think it is.

since idk when pulseaudio won't stat automatically when you first start something that requires it and needs to be explicitly started.
idk why your DE won't start it.

You can fix this by:
-autorunning "pulseaudio -D"
-go to etc/pulseaudio and enable autostart in the config files.

What are good reasons to use a terminal multiplexer?

My dad started using Ubuntu MATE. I don't get it. He started using Linux back in the 90s with Slackware, so he isn't a noob at all.
How do I get him to change to a redpilled distro?

it's gentoo without package manager but easier to install

Since Mediatomb is dead, what is a DLNA solution that isn't?

Was thinking about putting express vpn on my local media server laptop that has mx linux on it. Basically have the laptop be an access point so I can get a Japanese vpn simply by connecting to it. How do you make wifi hotspots on Linux?

Does running games under Xwayland affect performance?

It works, but there is still stuff that will run under Xwalyand.

How do I get bottom rounded corners in GNOME? Can I just make some simple edit to Adwaita CSS?

is there any way to run youtube 1080p videos on atom cpu? cherry trail
already tried chrome hw acceleration flags on chrome

So I have an X220 coming from eBay that I'm going to use as a dedicated Linux Machine to help me learn more about it. Most experience is in heavily Debian based distros, and I'm going to start using Fedora once I get that shit set up - mainly because I eventually want to get some Linux certs and using a Red Hat distro would probably be wise considering what I want.

My question: Outside of the package manager, how is this different? What would I have to learn in a red hat environment? It seems like Linux is Linux is Linux, except for package managers? I'm definitely overlooking some things.

mpv with appropriate flags.
Check the mpv general for their resources or ask them what they recommend.

Debian has always been shit
install centOS

Anyone?

i hoped for in-browser solution

Try invidio.us
It's like hooktube when it was good.
If not even that works, you are out of luck.

sorry if this is obvious
is there a way to bind cmus play/pause next etc to obkey bindings, i'd like to eventually have now playing in tint2 but i wanna sort this out first. ty for your time

Retard

Attached: fbadvibes.jpg (500x346, 43K)

I'm running debian stretch with xfce-4 and I've encountered a problem when I use two monitors
I can't drag windows from one monitor to the other, it seems to get stuck at the border between the monitors. I can almost drag it all the way across, but the last bit stays one the first monitor and won't budge.
does anyone have a clue on how to solve this? it used to work on jessie.

>invidio.us
interesting.....

CentOS
>poor man's rhel
>used by euphoric tippers
Debian
>one of the first distros
>largest active community
>base for dozens of other distros
>used by the fucking nasa on their thinkpads

stop using windows

how do I use console mode with two monitors? when I just press crtl-alt-f1 it's mirrored, but I'd want it to be extended

Debian
>trannie's first choice
>everyone involved fuckin dies
CentOS
>Chad's distro
>Prefers professional development of Redhat, steals their work anyway, showing dominance
>Used by people that get shit done unlike gay ass star gazers

Debian.

Attached: consider the following meteora.png (1000x700, 357K)

me again
i figured it out and have a very kinda works way of doing it, can explain if you want
now i'd like to minimise cmus to the systray, or hide it in some way, does anyone know how to do that?

"OK gang, today we steal the DMCA from Congress"

what is a good and lightweight netctl alternative for openrc? is it worth it to use a network manager to cut off a few seconds of boot time?

Linux newfag here.
Do these clowns regularly fuck up their mirrors so everything brek.
If so I don't want to use this any more, I already know jack shit so every single fucking security update failing and locking the system up is not really what I need.

Attached: meme_logo-broken shit.png (282x179, 5K)

opensuse is by far the shittiest distro ever made
fucken manjaro is more stable
if you're a newfag stick to any *buntu, elementaryOS is best for begginners.

openrc has its own network scripts. It's called "net.lo"
If you symlink it to "net.X" it will start the device it was renamed to.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Full/Networking

In addition it managed networkmanager well: after starting nm it put network requiring services on hold until nm reports it managed to set up network and continues to start services which don't depend on network.

>is it worth it to use a network manager to cut off a few seconds of boot time?
I find it peak autism.
>opinions

Is there any solution for this?

wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/File_Picker_meme

Since shitposting on various chans is my main hobby, I'm running into this problem all the time when I use Linux. Btw I'm using Mint.

Just by looking at the window I knew this photo was taken in Brazil, even before I saw the Unicamp logo.

Thanks user, I really thought that 1/10 review by that Dec guy was out of line, but obviously not. I just don't get how their own default update servers can give wrong checksums and fuck up their own security updates. I'm out.

Drag-and-drop from file manager to the upload button. I've also seen some patches that change retarded GTK filepicker to the Qt one which has nice previews and stuff.

i have a wifi and eth connected, how do i select one or the other?

the solution is not that great, i have tried the patch; what you should do is learn to use gtk and DnD from FM when you need gallery view
otherwise, Recent, sort by Modified, type to search

>Drag-and-drop from file manager to the upload button.
>it actually works on Windows too

What the fuck. Anyway, it's still pretty annoying to do, especially when 10+ years of muscle memory tell me to browse and pick files. Can you tell me more about these patches? I googled for yours and couldn't find any solution for LM.

>10+ years of muscle memory tell me to
Don't be like this.

don't use google, its botnet

Don't use Windows also.

>tfw compiling kernel on a Sundary afternoon
Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Attached: 1497751166459.jpg (478x398, 21K)

i think it's a non issue on kde with chromium

shortcut mpv (xsel -b)

mouse pointer was limited to the window last i know
for games there's no reason to not use xorg with i3

leave him alone

mostly , there were/are 1 or 2 little things that annoyed me, minor stutter in video, laggy feeling

xubuntu
get xfwm413

there's no beginners guide