Ledger cli

Who here /plain text accounting/

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-24 ledger, a powerful command-line accounting system.png (956x740, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cjoCNRpLanY
ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#index-pre_002ddeclare-account
github.com/ledger/ledger-mode/issues/141
github.com/ledger/ledger-mode/commit/904660f822036d449f3a35983ac3d7b047a78b54
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>BSD license
Dropped

there's hledger for you if you want.
GNU GPL and written in haskell.
What are you using anyway?

sounds cool. bumping for interest

How is this even more useful than Excel? And with all the dependencies I don't see it being bloat free.

Why would anyone choose haskell over C++?

>How is this even more useful than Excel?
For one, it is plain text. So you don't rely on excel formulae.
For second, excel is not double entry accounting.
Third, excel is more bloat than a cli ledger (but this can be countered by saying you use excel for other purposes as well).

Personally, I never liked excel for finances. I used gnucash instead, but gnucash is too "professional" for me (it takes non trivial manipulations to do basic stuff), and the documentation isn't that great.
Also, by using plain text don't put all my eggs in the same basket. I can use ledger to take track of my spending, use emacs to enter transactions easily. I can convert from gnucash xml to legder format easily so I can use my phone to track my expenses.
I haven't finished this yet but I could also import all my spending in python pandas and do further analysis and pretty plots, or use skit learn to do clustering and find patterns. Level of coarseness can be chosen by either importing the "raw" journal or weekly/monthly/annually reports.
The goal is to model my energy bills from the month of the year and see how much more I spend due to heating in winter.

I won't argue over haskell over cpp but hledger has UI, either with curses or GUI. The autismo user was sperging over software license so I showed some project under GPL to sooth the butthurt and bump the thread. But again, plain text makes it easy to go from one tool to another.

youtube.com/watch?v=cjoCNRpLanY

Excuse me, are you gay?

I just pirate Quickbooks like a big boy.

Attached: Lr3OoOM2_400x400.jpg (300x300, 10K)

I've been using it for a while. It's documentation is SHIT.
I really really want to write functions to automate basic stuff like being able to calculate income tax withholding from my gross pay without entering everything like a sucker, but there's no way to do that from what I can tell.

I laughed at this way more than I should have.

Attached: image:95140.gif (500x344, 350K)

>command line
No thanks. I stick with spreadsheets and a gui.

>For second, excel is not double entry accounting.
1. Double entry accounting doesn't exist, its called double entry bookkeeping and its not special.
2. Excel could easily be set up for double entry bookkeeping. Literally search "excel double entry bookkeeping" or drop excel from the search and still get mostly excel links.

What is that image from?

huh, so it's pretty much the digital equivalent of balancing a checkbook for like, a debit card or two, super simple stuff.

>Lr3OoOM2_400x400.jpg
I found the image by searching the filename, but something seems fishy with the twitter account it's from.

I use ledger-mode for emacs with this... Which is broken and is still broken after months so I am using and older version.

Attached: 1533175081002.jpg (425x403, 18K)

I use some proprietary andorid app that probably mines the shit out of my data
But it's convenient and has lots of features

what is broken about the emacs mode?
I am currently logging on my android phone and exporting the logs to legder file but was considering using the emacs mode instead in the near future.

The gnucash for android is pretty neat.
It does basic reports including graphical reports (crashes on my phone for very long journals tho), and it can export to gnucash xml (non compressed). It can also export to csv and although I was hyped about this feature, it takes ages to process the data and the csv file is so convoluted it's easier to work with the xml anyway.

>what is broken about the emacs mode?
The tab completion for accounts is sporadically broken. There is a work around which would be pretty simple if you're just setting it up (but I am too lazy to do that myself, for now).

Workaround: Pre-declare all your accounts and the tab completion on entries will work fine.
ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#index-pre_002ddeclare-account
Github issue for this debacle: github.com/ledger/ledger-mode/issues/141
Commit that killed it for me: github.com/ledger/ledger-mode/commit/904660f822036d449f3a35983ac3d7b047a78b54

You can build it on the commit before that one and everything will be fine. Building it is really straight-forward, but not really future proof since I'm sure something will break someday. If it gets to that point and this is still isn't fixed I'd probably just monkey patch it or take an hour and pre-declare all my accounts. Before this issue it worked great so don't let it scare you off.

i've used ynab4 for the last five years and will continue to do so until the wheels fall off

my budget file is one of the few pieces of data that i would actually call irreplaceable, priceless even haha

does this connect to OFX servers?

this is just a ledger. It takes a plain text journal file, and it generates reports.

bump

last bump

You can handle an unlimited number of accounts, I've just been using search and replace whenever I wanna add more detail by retroactively naming older accounts.

You can also take CSV files generated by your online banking and define fields so ledger-cli can generate entries, but there's no way to do it automatically, so I don't bother with it.