I have a theory that goes the reason why people on Jow Forums

I have a theory that goes the reason why people on Jow Forums
>meme linux and terminals so much
>meme gentoo
>mugh leightweight vi and opera
>suckless applications gimme gimme

Is because any technology zealot who uses 4kun is a luddite. I mean look at the website you are browsing for the moment. It looks and works like a website from the 90s, and that's because it is. The code is copied from the 90s and barely maintained. Only enough so that it still runs. So naturally any tech guru who uses such an old looking website is a luddite.

Attached: 2000px-Suckless_logo.svg.png (2000x1304, 13K)

>implying its not just because i can't afford a computer with more that 256M RAM

Cool story, bro.

technolody made people outrageously stupid.

i have a better theory: suck a cock

I wouldn't call me a Luddite, mostly because everyone has their own interpretation about what that actually means now (disregarding the historical actual Luddites). But otherwise you're roughly correct in my case. I don't like the current trajectory mainstream technology is on, so I try to avoid it as much as possible. Many people on Jow Forums share the sentiment, I wouldn't say it's the majority though.

>try harder

Attached: suckless.png (1351x643, 9K)

>The code is copied from the 90s and barely maintained.
That's how stable code works.

>any technology zealot who uses 4kun is a luddite
Modern is not always better, why the fuck would you use bloated software when the same shit can be done using 1/10 of the resources and a bonus of reduced attack surface?

>look at the website you are browsing for the moment
Looks almost like Reddit, if you ask me.

Attached: Screenshot_20190324-140631.png (1080x1920, 247K)

I actually miss the days when this site could be unironically considered old. Back when it didn't have 10^10 trackers. Back when it had cool J-list ads for tentacle grape that we didn't have to block because they weren't malware. No bunch of modern javashit """features""" like a catalog, infinite scrolling, quick reply, hover replies, hiding posts, well, anything on the extension anyway. Back when we would lose the thread we replied to because we forgot to noko. Back when we had to manually F5 (and it actually worked when we did).
Fuck. This site actually used to be good one day. Now it's basically the same shit as every """modern""" website everywhere.

>nokosage goes in all fields

Quite the opposite actually. If you love nu-technology you don't actually love technology. Technology is so consumerist now that anybody who actually likes technology clings to how technology used to be before your grandma could even understand it. Technology isn't made for those who enjoy technology these days.

The only reason you would use suckless programs is because you have brain damage.

ChristChurch shooting

Pretty much, I still like the format, but technologically it's pretty WEB3.0 now, whatever that means.

>Back when we would lose the thread we replied to because we forgot to noko.
wtf? i remember having to noko when creating a thread, but not while replying to one.

This is how I remember it too, might be mistaken though.

>Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Clover for Android

waaah no like functional things

If your idea of advanced technology is a pretty user interface this is 100% correct.

I'm sorry you are poor and have to resort to using your cum encrusted shitpad :(

Functional means different things to different people. Some prefer the preconfigured just works out of the box with a nice UI experience, I like a more modular approach. Those are both valid ways to go about something, but it's hard to combine them successfully. Sometimes it's easier to just string some stuff together in bash than trying to bend some UI application to do something it wasn't really meant to do (as an example).
I don't know why I'm responding to a low effort bait post like this.

you're so full of vague shit you should consider a career in politics

I partially agree. Jow Forums needs a massive overhaul of its GUI. I mentioned on /qa/ how Reddit is ahead of the game with their recent update and my thread was shat on from all sides.
I'm not asking for an account and username system or even an upvote system, but there needs to be a better way to browse this thing. The thread watcher sucks and even the functionalities provided by 4chanx are subpar.
I do feel threads shouldn't 404 so quickly too. I mean, if you set up an image limit, what's wrong with storing fucking text? I feel it would improve the quality of discussion too. Look at some boards like /tv/ and it's 100% shitpost. People don't even bother elaborating their ideas or sharing interesting content because the thread will be gone in a few hours anyway.
Another example is Jow Forums which used to be good when it was a slow board now it's all about mu feels and memes.

Less so than your post.

The current reddit overhaul is universally loathed and seen as a transparent tactic to integrate more ads. track more and generally go further down the path of facebookification. Do you want that to happen here too?

>Another example is Jow Forums which used to be good when it was a slow board now it's all about mu feels and memes.
That's not a UI problem. Jow Forums a victim of its success. Everything is better in small groups.

>That's not a UI problem.
True, but it's definitely exacerbated by the cheapness of threads becoming read-only so quickly.

>shit english
>posted from my android phone

If threads didn't 404 so quickly then any discussion of news would be impossible and over-analyzed. The great thing about Jow Forums is if that quality content does come along then it is instantly recognizable.

Honestly Jow Forums will probably look the same forever and it's not really much different from Jow Forums or other boards where real life is talked about often. If Jow Forums's resident population increases I could see the need to redo thread layout but as said the limitations are inherent and it wouldn't really be the same Jow Forums.

I do agree with you on that btw, a longer lifetime for threads would be preferable in general. Not like if that wasn't ever the case, I remember times when we've had more pages/posts/pictures. The reason to prune more aggressively was always server cost and performance, everything else is just made up bullshit.

I agree except I think that it would be even more minimal if all that there was was the catalog and nothing else.

That's not what the fucking point of the thread is. It's good because it's old not the other way around.

That's how I did it for a while. Catalogue like surface, threads I've posted had a visual indicator and refreshed automatically.

>opera
I've literally never seen anybody recommend that chrome-skin on here