Pic related is the industry standard and no freetard shit comes close

Pic related is the industry standard and no freetard shit comes close

Seriously if you really think libreoffice is better you are just a jobless NEET

Attached: 1552944386254.png (1200x780, 586K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=78912
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Daily reminder that Office 97 is where office software peaked

Attached: word97.jpg (1043x697, 67K)

Only word. You’ll never use the rest outside of school or an office job.

Sadly it's true, no professional business will accept any sort of work done in open document formats.

pdf

holy shit, such wasted trips, actually word is pretty replaceable nowadays, the thing that keeps MS on the top is Excel, that has no clear rival, even now

No actual work gets done in office applications, just busy work.

t. someone who actually has a tech job

WPS Office.

also most universities give their students a free office 365 subscription and 90% of the students here use these so have fun using libreoffice when you are doing a group project that would be excel, good excel skills are now a requirement for every basic office job

No one said Libreoffice is better, just good enough for most people (not power users).

I'm a consultant and I do everything in libreoffice. It's free so anyone can download and install it, there's literally no excuse.

I don't care if you like it or not, that's definitely not my problem.

>install libreoffice
>it doesn't scale correctly with 4k displays
>literally everything looks blurry as shit
it's ridiculous.

>install libreoffice
>works flawlessly on 4k
>on windows and linux
>point and laugh at other brainlets struggling with basic tech

so ... help?

Thunderbird is way better than Outlook nowadays

what is excel

I don't know a single person irl that uses Outlook.

That's because you're a NEET

Many municipal governments are switching to Libre office because it really is nearly as good. If you're a lawyer and need advanced drafting tools, maybe not. But for the average person who is simply writing reports it's fine.

>Many municipal governments are switching to Libre office
Such as?

From libreoffice.org, MIMO, France's inter-ministerial working group on free software, the administration of the Spanish autonomous region of Valencia, Italy's Ministry of Defence, Taiwan's Ministry of Finance and some stuff in Brazil.

It's not a standard. With a standard, anyone could get the specifications and build something with it. That's exactly what Microsoft doesn't want. "Industry standard" is a bullshit term.

I can just about manage with Libre Writer and Thunderbird, everything else in the Libre suite is kinda garbage tho

why whould I use office or excel, when I have R with tidyverse and R makrdown?

what's a good Windows markdown editor that's not built for coding. i just want a thing to make documents look like how i want them to look like

seems peculiar to me to have people doing work that ... y'know matters ... using software that was just downloaded from the internet. here, use this.

unless they're doing a Ubuntu thing where they pay some guy to troubleshoot/customise/whatever the LibreOffice suite. in which case, why not just use MS365 and pay for dedicated commercial support

I've seen plenty of stories about Libre office being such a fucking disaster they had to switch. Brazil dropped open source software YEARS ago, it just couldn't compete.

like a lot of the reeeeeing about office suites seems to be just because 'the other team' are dominant and it uses 'their' (open) format instead. purely ideology-driven, instead of 'this is how 'our software' is materially superior to 'their software' those sons of bitches are all messed-up and i hate them'.

i could totally understand a business wanting to pay for software with the understanding that in return they receive support, a reasonable guarantee it will work on their hardware, a reasonable guarantee that other people will be able to view and use their output, etc

> All my requirements documents
> system analysis stats

Yeah, nothing in Office format at all.

Your boss would like a word with you.

> Doesn't understand the difference between de facto and de jure -- or is vs should.

Defacto, you're right. De jure, nobody gives a shit about what standards board says is a standard--they need to get shit done.

Op is correct that MS Office is the De Jure industry standard.

"de jeure et le poisson et dans le voiture"
>every female within 50 miles starts orgasming

Duh, the DE FACTO industry standard.

I've been reading these fucking posts so long that I'm getting fucking dumber.

I'm out ...

being a jobless NEET is bad how?
I'm not giving a single dime for that overpriced shit, it's a pure meme and only used because of Jews pushing it

Attached: 1546429844947.jpg (1085x775, 510K)

Don't forget Outlook.

The number of people who need an office suite of any kind outside of highschool is lower than the number of Linux users. The number of people who need it at home is even lower.

You can live with LibreOffice or WPS perfectly fine since word format is rarely used in a way to be incompatible with LibreOffice. And LibreOffice is compatible with 99.99% of shit you'd need for school.
People send shit as pdf or as an online document, if you're thinking of "I need word to read files".

>Outlook
Do people even use this? Thunderbird has been a standard for a decade and I don't see it changing anywhere.

Stop roleplaying. Nobody outside of your basement cares about this shit. A fuck ton of businesses use OpenOffice and LibreOffice because it's just as good for their needs and it's one less thing to pay for at the end of the year. Companies that stay on MSO do it because "muh legacy".

Legitimately, why do people use word processors when typesetting programs exist? LaTeX may take more effort to learn but it’s not nearly as hard as everyone wants to pretend it is, does formatting and other things for you so making changes doesn’t require manually moving shit, can make code generators for it with whatever language you want and edit files on any device that has a text editor since you’re working with plain text files.

Or at least why doesn’t word just have a publish button or something that would reformat everything like LaTeX does whenever you compile?

But yeah word and powerpoint can both be replaced by LaTeX (my manager wants me to help him get into since it looks so much more professional)

Excel is for people who don’t know how to program and it doesn’t scale up well (plus it’s impossible to not make a mess if you need more than a handful of calculations or need to use constants). You’re better off using python, r, sas, etc. even if you’re expected to output an excel file you’re better off using one of those to generate an excel file or csv that can than be opened in excel.

And as far as outlook goes I don’t think I need to argue there are better email clients out there.

I got a R7 2700 workstation with 32GB of Ram bud, I can run all the random required Windows shitware in a VM if I need to.

Why use LaTeX when you can write shit in html?

Well, what's wrong with downloading software?
What should matter more is the quality and reputation of the software, and LO has a pretty decent record there.
Plus, it's free as in beer.
paying for software doesn't magically make it better or more fit for purpose

I will say that I like MS Office more, because it has quite a few little quality-of-life features that LO doesn't (time saving features), but your post targets shit that doesn't matter over shit that does.

MS Office is a professional and the best tool. But people created a free and simple analog to satisfy their simple needs. It's freedom.

Attached: pics3.jpg (800x600, 123K)

OP is right
>need to edit docx for work
>open it in libreoffice
>work for 40 minutes
>file corrupted
>no backups as it comers turned off by default

At least we have WPS, strange as chinks are working on some nice projects: WPS, Budgie, Deepin. I'm pretty sure they're paying the westerns to fuck their projects up, just look at Gnome, fucking Gpick, a color picker, won't pick colors on default settings, LOL

t.freetard

Backups are turned on by default you lying piece of shit. It literally makes a backup every 5 or 10 minutes. I always have to disable this shit.

Students and scholars should learn free software.

Attached: pics5.jpg (800x600, 116K)

Recovery and backups are a different thing, backups will survive if your system wipe the temp partition. How does it feel being this black?
forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=78912

why is no one creating an office program to rival ms office? isn't there some anti-monopoly law?

Field tech for a fairly large company, since our Office 365 rollout, my job has changed to O365 Janitor. Especially Outlook and Excel. What steaming piles of garbage.

Why would your system wipe any of this? I've had backups survive literally everything, from loss of electricity to being shut down, forgotten about and unused for over a month and it still said "hey you have a backup file from the last time you used this shit" when I opened writer.
Tldr works on my machine. Stop using windows.

People are ridiculously dependent on Outlook. Most people in the company I work in use it as a literal file manager and have 30gb OST files. I love it when they start running into issues because it allows me to finally tell them you're not supposed to use Outlook that way.

they are. the trouble is, theyre garbage created because of ideological purity instead of being, well, good

stop using proprietary software it's harmful!!!! also our software looks like its from 1996 and if it breaks you can fix it yourself, why haven't you learned to code janice?

yes, harold from accounting, i KNOW that the software that everyone assumes you're using groups its interface into a ribbon. however our usability studies (a forum poll in 2005, 36 respondents) all showed that people want the old-style toolbar interface, so if you have a problem with that you should have engaged more in the design process

(pushes glasses up nose) uhm before i answer that, please remind me, how much did you pay for it? how much did you pay to use the software. zero? of course. well do you want a refund? lol.

I don't partake in the data input monkey industry.

Attached: season3.png (960x648, 764K)

Hold on retard.

Word.
> has to fucking click twice to get a new document.
> cant easily differntiate between one or two pages at times.
> still annoying to use compared to old Word.
> still has to take five hours to open a document because it sends the copy to MS.

Excel
> ctrl + F isnt find lol
> still gets corruption issues with files that are completly fine.
> still has to take five hours to open a document because it sends the copy to MS.

Powerpoint
>powerpoint

Outlook
> the mac os version is 500 times better.
> other free mail programs are better.

I agree that libreoffice and the other is just crap. but so is Office after Office 2010.

fpbp and op is a faggot

I use Office 2013 at work regularly and they're both shit. Peak office was 2007 or 2010. I use Office in a VM under Windows Vista to do work.

>being proud of being an office drone

Attached: 1536584856017.png (490x586, 44K)

I couldn't figure out how to get office 365 for free so I just pirated 2013 (specifically because my physics class gave instructions for making graphs using that version and I didn't want to fuck around with things if differences arose)

>none of his work makes its way to executive management's eyes

it looks like your work is exclusively busy work

ah, when office wasn't a broken piece of shit.

>won't use Excel outside of school
Nope.

It's about as equally useless.

>Companies that stay on MSO do it because "muh legacy".
Or confidentiality.
Confirmed for not a professional.

are these jokes or does no one in here actually set foot outside their house or had a job, ever, in their entire existence or did any kind of group work?

Office formats only matter if you're collaborating with others on a file. Otherwise you can use whatever the fuck you want and export to PDF.

OneNote is ridiculously underappreciated, especially its ability to allow you to copy/paste text from an image or screen clipping and make the text a searchable keyword.

it had the best package

This. WPS Office on a chromebook.

>Not using LaTeX as text renderer
Pathetic.

Based.

who the fuck uses Outlook when webmail does all the shit?

LibreOffice is probably the best for personal use. I mean, it basically has all the features I need as a non-business user and it's FUCKING FREE. I don't have to pay $100 a month for doing fuck all.

>school or an office job
What part of "industry standard" do you not understand?

They're a lot of fucking industries faglord

webmail is bloated

web page vs 1GB desktop client

Install Gentoo

Protip: everyone knows Excel. Learn Visual Basic instead

no web browser (that can run bloated webmail JS) will use less than 1GB open

I like composing mail on the web client but outlook you can open multiple tabs of mail and it closes to the tray. I like them both

>Outlook
Thunderbird is better for the paranoid and webmail is better for normalfags, who would use this other than boomers who don't know anything else?

What makes thunderbird better than outlook? Also I notice when I compose in web client and then view my sent mail in outlook, the spacing is all off making me look like a fucking amateur

If Libreoffice was the same price as office would people buy it?

Assuming everyone else uses it already, just like with the ms monopoly? Sure, why not.

>learn a language that was deprecated a decade ago

just use some .NET meme language that can interface with office products

>all that wasted space
>peaked

T H I S

turkey

Libre office doesn't hold a candle, sadly.
Still, msoffice is so shitty and buggy, it's hard to believe it's been in development for more than 20 years. It's not like the features have grown that much. Yet things still go all over the place if you even think about getting a bit too creative with your layouts, especially if you even think about using tables.

blame MS for their proprietary shitware monopoly

I'm forever skeptical of such claims that FOSS supposedly wasn't good enough. In Munich they switched back to Windows after such claims. Not too long after, bam, massive MS office in Munich. Supposedly those two events had nothing to do with each other.

How well does crossover work? Should i just dual boot or maybe put Win10 in a virtual box?

Attached: 1552968488490.jpg (1080x1047, 250K)

Nothing stopping you from paying a support contract to a company for LibreOffice. You can probably find one with devs for it too. And since everybody can read the source, they're no worse than official support for proprietary software. Support for proprietary software is a meme.

Not if you're a data scientist like me whose daily work includes making pretty visual models :^)

It's not a standard of any kind, it's just used a lot. Something being used a lot doesn't make it a standard. That's why you can verbalize it, to standardize.

For personal use, great. Don't bother trying to do some collaboration at work with it though, unless your colleagues are equally autistic.

PowerBI?

>"data scientist"
>using excel

you got me good

Office is default and completely botnet but that doesn't change the fact that freecultists are subhuman trash.

Learning LaTeX is honestly not harder than doing anything complicated in Word. Or a lot of the not so complicated things in word.