Gaming laptops

>msi gs65 for example
>good specs
>good build quality
>144hz display
>ethernet
>connects to a proper monitor, keyboard and mouse
why build a desktop at all? actual question

Attached: noexif_17e40c63.jpg (342x342, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/MSI-GE73-8RF-Raider-RGB-i7-8750H-GTX-1070-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.309006.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>why build a desktop at all?
because

Yeah why not get a new computer when one part dies or old

which parts are likely to die besides the fans?

Attached: boomerfishing01.png (1500x761, 322K)

I've been going back and forth on buying a new pc or gaming laptop (been using an iMac I bought for college for the last 5 years).

I really can't see any point in buying a laptop other than portability, but I have no reason to bring a laptop anywhere with me.

I've put together a build for a PC including monitor and peripherals that costs around €1300, a similarly specced laptop costs upwards of €2000. What's the point?

>What's the point?
i have basically infinite money, limited space, and i don't want the girls im fucking to see a shitty glowing rainbow little kid gamerfat computer under my desk. video games are enjoyable and yet aesthetically disgusting

Attached: ihavenomouthandimustscreamquotes_745902.png (351x351, 145K)

A PC doesn't need rgb retard

fuck you it looks retarded just being a pc i don't need that crap in my goddamn house

A plain black box looks retarded? You must be severely disabled

what's the point? im asking

Attached: 8G8S.png (647x491, 283K)

com·put·er

/kəmˈpyo͞odər/

noun

an electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.

a person who makes calculations, especially with a calculating machine.

I've been buying MSI gaming laptops for the past seven years and in fact just upgraded to a GE73 last week for $1500. I can make that $950 after selling my 3 year old gaming laptop laptop and getting the manufacturer rebate. All four MSI laptops I've owned has been rock solid with zero hardware issues. Any other issues that crop up, Square Trade can cover.

I briefly considered a ThinkPad, but I'd be paying for worse specs and a 60hz screen. ThinkPad 17.3 options are also very limited.

The only reason to have a gaming desktop is if you're a NEET with no social skills. The money argument falls flat when you consider the amount saved by waiting for a gaming laptop hardware refresh vs upgrading piecemeal on the desktop.

Because you won't get the same performance as an actual laptop and you'll spend less with a desktop.

Also all mobility/portability is lost as soon as you use it for gaming as your performance drops by 80% or more when you game on battery.

ok thanks i totally forgot what we were talking about

so if you had the choice between a tiny compact kəmˈpyo͞odər that just worked and could travel with you, or a giant kəmˈpyo͞odər that weighed several pounds and sat under your desk, why would you chose the latter?
>you won't get the same performance as an actual laptop
what
>all mobility/portability is lost as soon as you use it for gaming as your performance drops by 80% or more when you game on battery.
or you plug it in when you get to your destination? because you would do that anyway

Say you have a 45W CPU and 175W RTX 2070 GPU on a laptop. Because of the laws of thermodynamics and how transistors work most of the power these components consume is for the most part turned into heat. This heat has to be removed else it causes components to at best shut down or just go up in flames.

NOW the cooling on laptops is extremely limited, were talking 15W for ultrabooks and 25-35W for generic wallmart trashheaps. A gaming laptop cranks this heat dissipation capacity to 65-95W.

You do the math.

im really bad at math and i honestly don't what kind of math to do here. my msi gs65 gets kinda hot, i guess? its not really a big deal since its on my desk like a computer. if i used it like a desktop with a keyboard and mouse, i wouldn't feel the heat at all. it doesn't seem to throttle in a way that is noticable. im personally very sensitive to input lag. its absolutely the most important thing

Attached: Screenshot_20190324103613_01.jpg (1080x727, 228K)

so far i have gathered that the issues are:
>cost effectiveness
>serviceability
>heat dissipation
>not being a faggot
no concerns with performance or input lag? sounds like its perfectly fine and you're all chumps

Attached: py35557868324243.gif (324x243, 979K)

>why build a desktop at all? actual question
It costs less. That's it, aside for what poorfag Jow Forums NEETs will tell you.

Problems with heat dissipation are problems with performance you massive retard.

maybe a better approach is to look at some performance metrics to find out what the bottom line is, instead of chasing red herrings around like an irrational fruitcake

Attached: peperetard.jpg (400x400, 22K)

Because at most you can only remove 95W of heat effectively it is not possible to cool said 45W CPU + 175W GPU so clock speeds are massively reduced on both to reduce heat output until the GPU and CPU generate 95W of heat combined or less.

In most cases this means performance gets sliced in half compared to a desktop PC with the exact same CPU and GPU.

What the fuck do you think these heat pipes are for, you massive mong? The manufacturers specifically engineer for this type of shit.

>actually gaming on battery
It's a fucking desktop replacement.

Attached: csm_msi_1_147f715abc.jpg (1541x1080, 580K)

>"it's a desktop replacement!!"
>"but performance is cut in half and then 80% more if you use it on battery"

Attached: 1434674334290.jpg (483x316, 100K)

Here is some actual data that completely BTFOs

Attached: Capture.png (796x674, 207K)

>infinite money
>limited space
If you really have infinite money then you should buy a bigger house first before coming here shilling for gaming laptop.

>I don't want girl to see a shitty glowing rainbows blah blah
Neither do I, but every fucking gaming laptop on the market right now have rgb everywhere so what's your point?

On top of no source being provided, what kind of retard tries to benchmark gaming performance by having the player character do nothing?

Well yes, desktop replacements are expected to be plugged in at the destination. Gaming on a battery is pants-on-head retarded.

why are you so insecure
you're not trying to talk, you're just trying to argue

you don't need validation for your decisions from this place
be more confident, nobody likes losers that act like that

sure, maybe. we can assume the laptop in question doesn't have these heat dissipation issues though, because the laptop in question does not. it literally doesn't.
nice. that is a completely useless graph. it isn't even indicated what this is benchmarking
no respectable person plays games on battery. that's not why you get a gaming laptop
>shilling
what?
>every fucking gaming laptop on the market right now have rgb
oh, really? can i also not fold them in half and put them away

Attached: 2.png (962x641, 1.77M)

notebookcheck.net/MSI-GE73-8RF-Raider-RGB-i7-8750H-GTX-1070-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.309006.0.html

Nice moving the goalposts. The claim was:

>In most cases this means performance gets sliced in half compared to a desktop PC with the exact same CPU and GPU.

Yet we can clearly see that while this phenonemon does occur, it's only a few FPS drop. Not moving the character is what we call a "baseline".

The thing that's irritating is that different classes of computers have different use cases. Gaming laptops are great as a desktop replacement and for people who don't want to upgrade shit all the time. They're shit for size and weight and battery life. If you want absolute maximum performance for your games, buy parts and cobble together your own PC. If you don't care about that shit, refresh a gaming laptop every 3 years

But you have the Jow Forums thinkpad shills come out of the woodwork any time a gaming laptop is mentioned. Not everyone is interested in upgrading a desktop year after year, retards.

Why do I need a lot of power on my laptop anymore?
I have a good workstation at home already which already takes care of all my heavy processing and can be be powered on with WoL.
>want to game?
>open a vpn tunnel to my house for Steam in home streaming
>want to watch anime?
>open up plex
>have a heavy workload?
>run it over ssh and download the result
>need to run vm's?
>connect to KVM

While I would hate if everything would move to "the cloud" I can really see a future in which I just have a powerful server that I use as my personal "cloud". For now at least I can't find any reason to own a powerful laptop or phone anymore. Just offload all heavy workloads and I'm fine, battery life is way more useful to me anyway. Also it's just really convenient to have all my data and resources centralized at one place instead of spread over dozens of devices.

Attached: bc57d8411547e773d8357b5447468d2edd106500.gif (555x666, 698K)

half the shit gaymen laptop