I3

Convince me to use i3. Im currently using xfce

Attached: xfce-desktop-01.png (675x528, 292K)

Don't.

BSPWM is better in every way, unless you really need tabs.

If you REALLY want i3, go with sway. At least it's "new".

i3 is the easiest to learn tiling window manager. You basically need to memorize like 5 shortcuts and you can use it pretty comfortably.

Why is bspwm better?

I use a laptop and need basic indicator widgets like audio, wifi and power.
Can I get these to work without scripting them myself in i3?

Those are all already installed in i3-bar but as text. Do you want icons or something?

You can use your xfce4 bar in combination with i3

Because an i5 and i7 are better in every way, poorfag

1. You can specify exactly where the next window goes
2. The most customizable WM (with literally any programming language)
3. Follows Unix philosophy. It's just a WM with exposed controls. You actually control it with external global keyboard daemon (sxhkd)
3a. Doesn't have unnecessary extras such as bar (you can use your own) or tabs (you can use tabbed if you want).
4. One of the lightest, one of the fastest (xcb)
5. More settings (no mouse follow, no click follow, proper gaps)

Ty user. Ill try it out when I have the time

Use i3, bro.

You shouldn't.
Use a window manager that is actually good, like dwm, awesome, or the best one of all, xmonad.
t. former i3 user

Attached: catgirldancing.gif (300x385, 3.92M)

what about dwm

I have no experience with it.

Is it from "reckless" guys? Then I'd imagine incomplete standard compliance, recompilation for basic config changes and I'd assume it even includes its own local keyboard daemon, so it's less "Unixy" than bspwm.

>never used it in my life
>reckless guys
>compiling is hard

ye man. suck a niggercock

i would recommend i3 for the first tiling window manager, bspwm is better but i3 is noob friendlyier and more intuitive

>Compiling is hard
It's not hard, it's retarded when all you want is a config change.

But by your answer I imagine hitting the nail on the head even without using it once in my life.

I'd go with either Awesome (configs for anything on the interwebs) or Herbstluft (easy out of the box and is similar in behaviour to bspwm).

But that's just me. I never got hang of the tabs and windows inside windows stuff.

redpill me on xmonad, don't see much love for it on this board.
and explain yourself why there isn't bspwm listed

if you want a setup that is a lot more minimal than xfce but also has a gentle learning curve compared to other window managers then i3/ gaps is for you. If you aren't into that then you might as well stick with what you have.

the window inside window stuff is kinda neat if you are working on different stuff on different workspaces, like in bspwm when you stack windows on top of each other, just more intuitive because you literally got the name of the tab listed

awesomewm is technically most advanced, but it's so confusing to setup

i used herbstluft for a very short time when i began to use tiling wm's but it kinda felt like i3 at the time. but again, i was just starting and had no idea what to look for.
Awesome felt overwhelming for me as a beginner

i thought about going from xfce to i3 too, but by the end of the day i would've added i3bar and all the indicators i'd expect to see on an xfce panel so i just thought why the fuck should i change from a perfectly ok de to a wm which i'll most likely end up using as if it's a de. like what's the point? performance?

>redpill me on xmonad, don't see much love for it on this board.
See this post in another thread: , I also agree with it overall being a better dwm. It's not very popular here probably because it's written in Haskell, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.
>and explain yourself why there isn't bspwm listed
I have never used it and I know nothing about it, but most people I've seen using it seem to love it. I might give it a shot one day, but right now xmonad serves me well.

Sorry I'm retarded, I meant this post:

thanks man, will look further into it as soon as i get bored with my wm again

>I'm currently using xfce
Why would I tell you to pick something else? It's the best DE for Linux. Use i3 if it suits better your work/navigation flow, otherwise stick with Xfce, it just works.

to tinker around, test out new stuff, find out if it suits him would be my guess

Is there ANY wm that has good tiling options but doesn't require autism allowing me to also use mouse to move windows around?

>allowing me to also use mouse to move windows around?
All of them.

you can literally use your mouse to move windows in any window manager

you can just install a vmware read documentation and get done with it in like 2 hours. These threads are spoon faggotry and i bet you arent going to try shit anyways.

don't use it
Be modern and use sway

where's the difference?

Which ones have good tiling options?

it's newer and uses Wayland

please specify the question, i'm not sure what you mean

Stop fucking shilling Sway. Sway comes with a litany of problems that the user needs to be aware of. First and foremost you cannot use Nvidia proprietary drivers so anything requiring real GPU acceleration with decent hardware is ruled out. Secondly a large swath of programs outright don't work under Sway, all of the suckless programs are hardcoded for the X server and are nonfunctional. Using i3blocks I find I cannot bring up a menu on system tray icons. If I launch Deluge its literally missing until I launch it a second time. Sway may have hit 1.0 recently but it certainly isn't perfected mainly because of retarded programmers like the suckless crew or Nvidia that decide to hardcore their meme software into Xorg.

Lol, it's even funnier for me.

It has non-functional keyboard daemon.
As a result I can delete text instead of launching conky just because retarded Sway devs can't program proper global key handling.

Thats a limitation of Wayland not Sway. If anything the Sway devs have proven themselves quite competent because they're the primary group writing shit like wlroots for the rest of the community to use. Wayland desktop environments and windowing managers have only really taken off in the past year or so. Before that there was extremely heavy development on Wayland itself making it impossible. That such gains were done so quickly is quite impressive. I expect Xorg to start getting phased out entirely by 2021-2022.

>Thats a limitation of Wayland not Sway
Maybe, but in the end Sway is unusable piece of shit.