Preventing a Monopoly

Friendly reminder that if you use Chrome or Chromium you are contributing to the downfall of the internet.

Chrome has achieved 70% desktop market share not because it's a particularly good product (frequently shits the bed with a lot of tabs open, clunky space inefficient UI, extreme memory hog, featureless, poor add-ons, is a literal botnet that tracks you) but largely because Google spent about 8 years advertising it on the front page of the search engine, bundling it with Adobe Flash, and advertising it on the front page of Youtube.

With Microsoft deciding to switch Edge to the Chromium engine, Firefox is the last browser not developed by a for-profit corporation, the last browser that respects your privacy, and the last browser unrelated to Google that can trade blows with and even exceed the Chromium engine. It is also the last truly open source browser. If sites stop supporting Firefox because of retards like you using Chrome because you're simpletons and it "just werks", and Firefox subsequently falls further as a result (snowball effect), you will have a world where megacorp Google Inc (an ad company) controls the only remaining browser engine and singlehandedly controls all web standards going forward, and by extension the development of the internet.

TL;DR Use Firefox.

BONUS: Chromium cannot be "ungoogled".

It's "partially open source" and is entirely maintained and developed by Google employees who control what commits are allowed and not allowed. It phones home every time you open it, every time you close it, every time you check for add-on updates, the "sign-in to Google" profile shit cannot be removed from the URL bar, and Google's DNS servers are hardcoded into it.

>If you're thinking of switching to Chromium (Google's open source version of Chrome) instead, think again. For some time, Chromium snuck in a binary blob for voice recognition whenever you started it up.

Attached: d3d.jpg (610x900, 472K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spyware.neocities.org/articles/ungoogled_chromium.html
itsfoss.com/firefox-looking-glass-controversy/
ghacks.net/2017/10/06/mozilla-to-launch-firefox-cliqz-experiment-with-data-collecting/
github.com/mozilla/addons-linter/blob/master/src/badwords.json
toptenreviews.com/software/internet/best-internet-browser-software/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Chrome-Firefox-WebRender-67-68
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Too bad firefox can't match chromiums' performance

i like chrome tho

is there a chromium like theme for firefox that doenst suck

I switched to Opera.

Aside from not being able to translate pages, runs pretty damn good.

>BONUS: Chromium cannot be "ungoogled".

Then why does spyware.neocities.org/articles/ungoogled_chromium.html say it's not a botnet? Huh? HUH?

Attached: MarioDelete.jpg (750x718, 79K)

Opera was unable to fund the development of the super fast Presto engine they used to have, so after version 12 they switched to the Chromium engine. It's effectively a Chrome clone.

Also it was bought out by chinks a few months ago.

Maybe firefox just needs to git gud

Attached: webxprt-july-2018.png (910x661, 12K)

Firefox has built-in telemetry. This can to some extent be disabled by the user, through the micromanagement of dozens upon dozens of about:config and user.js values.
but Firefox is also notorious for slipping in stuff behind users' backs. Never forget this.
itsfoss.com/firefox-looking-glass-controversy/
ghacks.net/2017/10/06/mozilla-to-launch-firefox-cliqz-experiment-with-data-collecting/
It would seem that Moz://a doesn't have any concept of 'opt-in'. If they're willing to do this shit without telling users, what makes you think they won't silently revert your config changes and pass it off as one of their 'experiments'?
Furthermore, they actively analyze the source code of extensions for any icky 'problematic' words that might show up in there.
github.com/mozilla/addons-linter/blob/master/src/badwords.json
Long story short, Firefox is botnet.

Firefox is made by pro censorship cucks. Nice try Firefox trannies.

If you have any morals, you will use a browser that isn't controlled by Google. However if you are a pragmatist (which I feel most people are on this board) then you are going to use any type of Chrom* browser because it is avaliable, supported and partially faster due to the last two points. Fighting against the botnet and corporations has never been easy and never will.

Numbers are meaningless when browser itself hangs. Feels like using KDE in virtualbox - a complete shitshow.

>using KDE in virtualbox - a complete shitshow.
I feel ya on that.

this is fake news. Mozilla is a for profit company just like ABC. Also starting with v60 you cannot turn off telemetry the normal way. Its enabled by default and unchecking the box only partially disabled it. the rest is still sent to them for advertising purposes.

>Iridium is a FLOSS fork of Chromium stripped of as many botnet features as possible. This is not where it ends, though. If you go to their homepage, and read what they have to say about the privacy of their browser, it reads: "Chromium (which Iridium is based on) is a very secure browser, yes. But it does call home to Google. And we did even more to enhance security to the maximum extent possible". Smells like botnet.

You cannot ungoogle the Googlium. Not even autistic freetard software engineers could do. The idea that Chromium can be "ungoogled" is probably an idea pushed by Google's 100 billion dollar marketing/PR departments online.

>use botnet
>OR just use this shittier tranny alternative
the absolute state of free as in freedom

Then why does wireshark not show any traffic going to them when using my user.js?

toptenreviews.com/software/internet/best-internet-browser-software/
I'm not the only one who notices no speed difference

>use our botnet made for simpletons, it's not like you have a choice
Google's PR department has arrived. Ignore them.

Attached: f6200b8391291d0138e0982dcebd6e01.jpg (1536x2048, 395K)

Post Enji.

Look people use discord because it's so "convenient". You think the same retards would actually use a better browser than the mainstream one that is advertised?
You think people would actually not use windows 10?
I have bad news for you.

Firefox has always felt snappier for me irrespective of benchmarks.

>You think the same retards would actually use a better browser than the mainstream one that is advertised?
Yes. Chrome is the IE of web browsers.

>Chrome

Attached: 1521784485928.png (644x443, 10K)

>Then why does wireshark not show any traffic going to them when using my user.js?

nah mate i refuse to use their shit either.

>using Chromium instead of Chrome

Attached: 1507181736552.png (657x539, 110K)

Firefucks says it send every 12 hours.
telemetry.submissionInterval 43200

Stop using proprietary software.
It's botnet.

This thread again?
It's already a monopoly and only because the dev team cares more about showing off diversity than actually developing a superior product.

Maybe if firefox wasn't such a buggy piece of shit that constantly crashed whenever it went over 2GB of ram I wouldn't have switched.

You think firefox is a monopoly? And what do you call goodle?

Are you retarded? Why do I even ask.

it doesn't. with multi-processes it's more stable and faster.

myself and others do think firefox is superior though
see

Mozilla and furryfox deserved everything happened to it

>You shouldn't use this browser because the marketing for it is good
Fuck off communist

Except it did, I'll still to vivaldi until a better option than shitfox shows up.

Opinions do not change facts.
Just look at the various RAM leaks problems through the last few years that all took quite some time to fix.
By all means, use whatever you please, but do not shill it and claim it's superior when it's not.

Sheep like you should be slaughtered

>opinions
Do you think that's what was used during that sites testing? You're not that dumb, are you?
>ram leaks
Never new about it because I didn't have issues. But glad they fixed it. Got some links about it?

What would you know about sheep commie? Soviet Bloc countries are know for their shortages of livestock and other staple foods.

Ah yes, a typical hypelet. Keep leaping before you look because someone who has no stake in you apart from what's in your pockets talks sweet nothings. Words are cheap and empty, just like your head.

Mozilla had made their own decisions against a good part of their user base without listening to them at all, but if you stop using firefox somehow you are the bad guy.

Fuck them, they don't want to listen i don't want to use their browser nor recommend it or help people around with problems with firefox, they better start making better decisions fast if they want me back and it's the same way for a good amount of people i know.

Right now after every shitty decision they keep saying "it's not a problem we are not losing market share it's just new users choosing other browsers..." they are living in another f world so if they need to drop below 1% to wake up so be it, if they end disappearing i hope something better replace it with time, but I'm not gonna use it just to give them more time to make even worse changes.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Chrome-Firefox-WebRender-67-68

After that post don't tell me you use a chromium variant

Imagine being this upset by people using a service you don't like. What's funny is that you'd be perfectly fine with the current clime if it was reversed (Mozilla having majority market control).
Fuck off shill, I choose my services based on what performs best for my needs, not on the basis of feelings.

Too bad it's shit on mobile, where most normies use now...

You're acting like it's unethical for Google Chrome to have earned a huge market share. Google hasn't done anything wrong in promoting their browser, unlike when Microsoft got sued for bundling Internet Explorer with Windows.

You first

I don't care what other people use and I'm not saying google is wrong for promotion, the crux of my point is good marketing doesn't automatically make a product good.

Don't chromebooks come bundled with chrome? I also heard it's impossible to uninstall chrome and you can't use other browsers with their OS.

I never claimed that Chrome was good, I claimed that Google Chrome's market share was honestly earned.
A Chromebook is advertised as a cheap laptop that makes use of Google's online suite, though, which is best accessed with Chrome.

>A Chromebook is advertised as a cheap laptop that makes use of Google's online suite, though, which is best accessed with Chrome.
ok, now you sound like a google employee. You never addressed the statement that it comes bundled (like the argument you made against IE) and you can't uninstall or even use other browser.

>I never claimed that Chrome was good, I claimed that Google Chrome's market share was honestly earned.
I don't disagree with any of that, especially since I never explicitly said chrome was bad either. My original post was calling out this retardation.

mainly waterfox and i've been looking at vivaldi cause i like how users can request and vote features directly and they seem to be listening to them, right now it seems a little wip but maybe in 6-12 months if they do things right it could be a decent alternative.

If you could read between the lines you would find that I did address that point, but I guess I have to spell it out for you. Chrome comes bundled with them because their OS is literally built around Chrome. Google Chrome is such a pivotal part of a Chromebook's OS that it's part of the name (CHROMEbook). You'll also find that stock Chromebooks run what is known as ChromeOS. This is different from when MS bundled IE with Windows because it violated anti-trust regulations IIRC. The reason for that is that Windows is advertised and sold differently than ChromeOS.
Those are both me...

Don't firefox come bundled with most linux distributions?

vivaldi is shit with their js UI

To add on to my previous reply, when you buy a Chromebook you're literally just paying for access to Chrome. That's why Google outsources the actual laptops' construction to multiple different companies.

> What's funny is that you'd be perfectly fine with the current clime if it was reversed (Mozilla having majority market control)
Non-profits are superior to for-profit ad companies when it comes to your privacy, yes. Moron.

>Google hasn't done anything wrong in promoting their browser, unlike when Microsoft got sued for bundling Internet Explorer with Windows
Google has done worse than Microsoft, in that the front page of Google is something everyone uses. Advertising it there, which they did (as well as the front page of Youtube, bundling it with Flash, etc), is something that no one could compete with in terms of exposure.

Use Icecat, if it is good enough for Stallman's paranoia it's good enough for everyone else

I use both Firefox and Chromium. Sometimes pages don't work right on one or the other. For personal stuff I normally use Firefox but I usually use Chromium when doing work stuff.

So you admit that you're monopoly-scare is just concernbait?
kys

Firefox is best girl.

Attached: Firefox+is+best+girl+welcome+to+_ceda320269c921724ee6144bad13b002.jpg (480x324, 66K)

Google has also been known to manipulate search results for their own agenda

Nobody is forced to download and use Chrome, bud. You literally have to use IE (or Edge) on a fresh Windows install even if you wish to install another browser.

If your original stance pertains directly to what you outlined in later posts then it's literally a case of lost in translation.
>refuting You shouldn't use this browser because the marketing for it is good
vs
>Google Chrome's market share was honestly earned
Maybe next time don't truncate your point so sharply to the extent that either its meaning diverges or facets of main argumentation are revealed after the fact.

>Mozilla is not for profit

Attached: 1546461520300.jpg (219x239, 7K)

>have to use IE (or Edge) on a fresh Windows install even if you wish to install another browser.
No you don't. You can download a different browser exe on a seperate device or before a fresh install and transfer it via USB.

my pc is a potato and runs it without problems, I've disabled the animations, and made some adjustments on settings and it's not that bad...

also i've read somewhere that they are keeping it this way cause it's easier/faster to make changes and they may switch to something faster once all the features are in place and more "stabilized", seems a legit use case for me and they sure are making changes fast.

ps. firefox is porting everything from xul xbl xpcom to html/js/css, and most of the time the xul widgets were a lot faster than the new ones...

>you're monopoly-scare
>you're
No wonder you're a Chrome/Chromium user.

Attached: 1521784485928-2.jpg (641x443, 26K)

Google Chrome's market share was honestly earned through Google's terrific marketing of the browser.
Yeah but no reasonable person is going to go through the trouble of doing that, as was implied. Though I'm sure now you're gonna say I moved the goalposts because you're running out of arguments.

Yes it phones home for shit like search suggestions
Everything else it literally tells you "fyi were pinging google at this uri just so you know in case you want to turn it off"

>using inferior browser for whatever reason
"no"

>Though I'm sure now you're gonna say I moved the goalposts because you're running out of arguments.
I don't need any other arguments. I proved you wrong. You saying people won't go through the trouble doesn't disprove the fact that you CAN install a different browser without ever using Edge or IE is wrong.

That's why I don't use Chrome

Attached: 3453452.png (1280x816, 121K)

lol
the fuck is this?

friendly reminder that firefox based browsers are the best for anti-fingerprinting

Attached: 1553259576332.png (1406x1878, 87K)

>Google advertising their browser on their own website is worse than Windows bundling their own in-house web browser with their OS and making it unreasonably difficult to avoid using it because you can technically avoid using it at all if you have prior knowledge on how to, which average consumers wouldn't.
You haven't proved anything here.

what meme page is that cause you can be fucking sure that firefox security is a joke.

doesn't look very trustworthy

Attached: 1534727505213.png (1826x1009, 51K)

new firefox is unironcally becoming more secure than chrome

>no arguement

Attached: 1447289159935.jpg (777x656, 79K)

Attached: pb-browsers.png (1046x385, 68K)

You said
>You literally have to use IE (or Edge) on a fresh Windows install even if you wish to install another browser.
I proved you wrong
stay salty ;^)

I use Microsoft Edge.
Get on my level furfags.

>now he's the one moving goalposts

It's missing the botnet column. Chrome would get a 0 in that one and the score would be even lower.

As soon as there's an option for Firefox to support hardware accelerated video on Linux, I'll be all over it.
Right now, I like using the internet on my laptop.

"on a fresh Windows install" implies that the user doesn't have another computer on hand with which to make an install drive for another browser. This is an unreasonable expectation. Your argument is unreasonable and you are wrong.

daily remainder that firefox uuid leak is still not fixed more than 2 years later.

They are still trying to catch up with spectre meltdown they are now just decreasing timers precision and that is not a real fix, chrom* uses strict site isolation, firefox will have that soon but it's still not in place.

>YouTube mainly uses VP9 and already a bit AV1. Every major website will switch to the AV1 codec.

>Mozilla is working on Dav1d (VLC's fast AV1 decoder), Wayland, WebRender (their new graphics engine), Vulkan/Metal/DX12 support for WebRender, Pathfinder for WebRender (fonts and SVG on GPU), scrolling using the OS compositor (e.g. Wayland) to save more battery with WebRender. (Support for WebRender on Wayland is being worked on in bug 1514156.)

Try WebRender (if you're on the beta or nightly channel). Open about:config, set gfx.webrender.all to true.

>"on a fresh Windows install" implies that the user doesn't have another computer
I think you implied that. The fact still remains, you can transfer an exe installer via USB and not have to open Edge. I have actually downloaded a new firefox installer before doing a fresh install for this reason.

>VLC

Attached: madotsuki.jpg (687x740, 149K)

Cool but that doesn't disprove my argument. You're still wrong. Pretending to not understand the point is cute and all but it won't win you any points in the debate category.

>YouTube mainly uses VP9
YouTube isn't the only video site in the world, and VP9 is accelerated on a modern systems with vaapi enable Chromium builds.

Other than that, you're telling me about half-finished features on beta builds that sounds like it STILL doesn't accelerate VP9 and H264, helping me exactly none right now.

layers.acceleration.force-enabled;true
layers.omtp.enabled;true
layout.display-list.retain;true

or just wait for it to be ready cause right now is not worth
see