Why have you not joined the AVIF master race, Jow Forums?

aomediacodec.github.io/av1-avif/

Why have you not joined the AVIF master race, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1280px-AV1_logo_2018.svg.png (1280x710, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/AOMediaCodec/av1-avif/issues/44
flif.info/
github.com/dropbox/lepton
github.com/packjpg/packJPG
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Encoder is slow as your mom

Why do people keep shilling this bullshit

50 years from now JPEG will still be the overwhelmingly predominant image format.

github.com/AOMediaCodec/av1-avif/issues/44
>As of now, there is no plan to have an "official" reference library for the AVIF layer on top of libaom. We rely on non-official OSS like libavif or mp4box.

I want flif to succeed
flif.info/

What's really necessary is an image container format that will contain all of these stupid hipster image streams.
You don't see anyone saying AV1 should be its own file format, it just gets integrated into MKV and webm by extension.

You mean HEIF, which AVIF already uses?

>IF
>image format
nobody gives a shit buddy, this isn't about the video spec

AVIF is not supported by anything yet. That said, being royalty free it has the potential of replacing jpeg.

Personally I'm more interested in PIK, it's an upcoming image format which is not only supposed to be much better than jpeg, but also able to _losslessly_ recompress jpeg's intro the PIK format with ~22% compression improvement, thus it offers a lossless transition from lossy jpeg (which is the format that 99% of images are) to a new format.

>but also able to _losslessly_ recompress jpeg's intro the PIK format with ~22% compression improvement
Too good to be true.

AV1 in WebM when?

you know FLIF and PIK are doing a collab right?

Why bother when 4chin will never support it.

Will AVIF ever get support on ereaders so I can easily store my lawly comics?

You can already put AV1 into MKV, WebM and MP4.

Is there any new infos about it after that mail list announcement?

Because it's gonna be good and this is Jow Forums where we impatiently aspire to see progress but contribute nothing because we're busy wasting our lives looking at what we don't (yet) have (such as anime cat girls).

Why won't Jow Forums support it?
It's already annoying that VP9 isn't supported...

I remember HD-DVD too

Because Hiromoot is useless.

Digital distribution is a completely different universe to physical distribution.
Pure digitally, anything convenient is silently valuable. e.g. Netflix is already using AV1
Physically, there are huge barriers of cost-benefit analysis and active participating/awareness by the users. e.g. much physical digital storage tech flopped.

>Too good to be true.
Not at all, there are already jpeg recompressors out there which has a similar compression ratio:

github.com/dropbox/lepton

github.com/packjpg/packJPG