Linus "retreat" did him good. See for yourself, he hasn't lost his touch:

Linus "retreat" did him good. See for yourself, he hasn't lost his touch:

«Quite frankly, I'd rather weed out the people who don't start being
careful early rather than late. That sounds callous, and by God, it _is_
callous. But it's not the kind of "if you can't stand the heat, get out
the the kitchen" kind of remark that some people take it for. No, it's
something much more deeper: I'd rather not work with people who aren't
careful. It's darwinism in software development.

It's a cold, callous argument that says that there are two kinds of
people, and I'd rather not work with the second kind. Live with it.

I'm a bastard. I have absolutely no clue why people can ever think
otherwise. Yet they do. People think I'm a nice guy, and the fact is that
I'm a scheming, conniving bastard who doesn't care for any hurt feelings
or lost hours of work if it just results in what I consider to be a better
system.

And I'm not just saying that. I'm really not a very nice person. I can say
"I don't care" with a straight face, and really mean it.»

Attached: 800px-LinuxCon_Europe_Linus_Torvalds_03_%28cropped%29.jpg (800x1113, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/linus-im-a-bastard-speech.html
lkml.org/lkml/2000/9/6/65
media.ccc.de/v/34c3-8968-are_all_bsds_created_equally
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Linebacker_II#Aftermath
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*slow clap*
But really tho BSD does everything Linux does with 1/10th the CVEs. Dumb Finn.

iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1522652420757.gif (500x281, 1.6M)

Whoever thought Linux would be gone or changed didn't really know him.
Linus is an asshole and that won't change.

The era of Linus is over. The 2020s will be the Decade Of Theo.

Mathematica and Dwarf Fortress are the only reasons I’m still on Linux, and I’m getting it set up on a VM in OpenBSD. I’ll simply use Xenocara to see it.

Bye bye botnets. Pretty soon the only Linux users left will be Android tards.

... Yeah Linus hasn't changed at all.

Attached: oAemb5Ll.jpg (640x427, 20K)

>1/10th the CVEs
Not so impressive when there's 1/50th of the people searching for them

That’s not it at all though. Linux reacts to security problems. OpenBSD is proactive. When shills faggots like you were mocking OpenBSD in early 2018 for disabling Hyperhtreading on Intel you probably thought you were being clever. Of course now we know that there are literally a dozen more Spectre variants which OpenBSD wasn’t vulnerable to because of this proactive outlook.

Every day you shills seem dumber. Is the HRT hurting your IQ?

What's the source on that quote?

Why is he such an asshole? He could basically do the same and just be a bit nicer about it.

Because you've grown up in a generation were you're given a participation trophy for showing up.

The only people of your generation who aren't molly coddled are those that join the military. And as a side not, Linus had to do mandatory military service. Getting yelled at because you're a gormless fuck is part and parcel of military life. But cry babies of your generation can't handle it because all your life your mediocre ass has been told you're special when you're anything but.

In the military, the mission is priority over your feelings. In the world of work, the product is priority over your feelings. And if your feelings are hurt because a superior told you your work was shit and detrimental to the product, your inability to handle that criticism is your problem. Ask anyone that ever served in the military how they dealt with getting yelled at and they'll tell you they developed the ability to tune out all the bullshit the CO was yelling at them and only take onboard the criticism so as not to do again what they did to fuck up.

If you break down in tears because you're being yelled at and your feelings are being hurt, you're the epitome of a fucking onions boy.

That mail is from 2000.

Haven't you ever been shamed by your betters for being wilfully stupid? Linus was typically only really mean to people who deserved it. If your patch had an obvious bug or your feature request was retarded he would chastise you for it.

Never worked in the military but I did do a stint in capital markets. The environment is somewhat similar. When your work is good, it's not good enough. When it's bad, it's shit. You gradually tune out the constant critiquing and only internalize the stuff that's actually criticism.

The problem with that environment is that it gradually turns everyone into bitter assholes who aren't happy with anything in their lives. When I found myself being negative about sunny summer days and berating junior staff for what was honestly good work, I knew it was time to leave.

Who cares? No one who wants to make money works for this dork.

>im 12

>He could basically do the same and just be a bit nicer about it.
You're a child thats never done anything. You'll never understand.

>Hyperthreading
do you have any idea what you are talking about?

why are Finns so autistic?

you live on a cold island for 200 years and see how you turn out.

He did Finnish conscription which isn't exactly the same as US army we-can't-be-FMJ-but-damn-we'll-try bullshit.

Yep.

A quick search says that was in 2000 according to linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/linus-im-a-bastard-speech.html

Hmm...this is what you deserve, cultists.

Linu(s/x) is dead

LKML

Do you seriously believe that?

Even if that idiocy you vomited onto this thread was true: the whole retarded idea of "participation trophy" was made up because moron boomers wanted it. Kids always make fun of participation trophies they get, whereas old shitheads have to stroke their ego.

Attached: when-boomers-whine-about-participtrophies.jpg (500x498, 57K)

CoC'd

>finland
>island

Attached: Dz84u6qXQAIe_3V.jpg (959x499, 41K)

thats from a year 2000 email thread..
lkml.org/lkml/2000/9/6/65

based bs?
media.ccc.de/v/34c3-8968-are_all_bsds_created_equally

If only he knew how bad things truly are.

you're a fucking moron

>You're only a man when you go die in the middle east in a war for oil

Attached: 1533496212416.png (645x729, 58K)

>t. insane finn #33847

You can be meritocratic and at the same time show basic emotional intelligence, you know? They are not mutually exclusive.
Behavior as described in the OP can be tolerated, but it doesn't warrant more respect than trying to be nice and polite.

>*crack* kids these days man...bunch of softies, not like my buddies in 'nam

>People think I'm a nice guy, and the fact is that I'm a scheming, conniving bastard
Oh linus. we respect your contribution to gnu and to the free software movement in general,
but we do know you're a prick.

/thread

I just realized that yellow thing is a microphone. I though it was some photoshopped earring.

He didn't contribute to gnu, gnu contributes to him. Nobody gives a shit about gnu, but we do care about Linux.

>comparing being thrown into a bloody, un-winnable war against your will to a kid's soccer game

Attached: 1519524907837.png (230x219, 7K)

can we get a link to that post?

You sound like one of those faggots in 2008 screaming >hurr macs dont get viruses, or one of those retards today still screaming > hurr linux doesnt get viruses.
the only reason those were even borderline true is because nobody makes viruses for platforms that are barely used. The more people that use a platform, the more malware will be made for it.

>we respect your contribution to gnu
Linus doesn't give two fucks about GNU.

>un-winnable war against your will
And lo and behold! That's how some children feel about soccer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Linebacker_II#Aftermath

I wish people would stop spreading this leftist lie. Carpet bombing civilians ended the Vietnam War with a victory for the southern allies.

>SYSTEM FIRST
>HUMANITY SECOND
so that is why linux is so shit, he doesn't understand users at all

I had boomer parents that kept me in line, but keep in mind who handed out those participation trophies.

Linus IS polite 99% of the time. He chews out people who are being lazy and negligent. There is a E-mail thread where a newbie college student asks him if it's even worth doing small submissions at all. Linus told him that he HATES doing the pull requests for drive by submissions but feels it's supremely important for the younger and newer developers to both interact with veterans and to learn the processes involved in a large project, so he always goes out of his way to do them even though he hates the process. A decade later that newbie guy is still doing submissions to the Kernel. Linus isn't going to chew out some newbie, he chews out people funded by major corporations that are doing substandard submissions that could cause regressions or outright exploits. There is a reason why Linus is well regarded on Jow Forums and Lennart is hated. Lennart just leaves shit for other people to solve and improve.

kek, yeah, if you take a very loose definition of victory, sure

>ME ME ME ME!
tard

See: The Matrix, for an example of a system where humanity relies wholly on the system.