What year was the sweetspot for the internet and computers in general?

Attached: 2019-01-01-1546300061_484x405_.png (484x405, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9gvswd1I8qo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

300 BC

fpbp

Attached: 1551749425110.gif (300x250, 499K)

2011-2012. CPU performance hadn't completely plateaued, YouTube encouraged quality content, vidya wasn't cancer and filled with normies sucking mtx dick, internet still had freedom of speech, etc.

Late 90's/early '00s.
AOL and StarCraft was my jam.

I can't be the only one capable of encoding themselves into an AI for hard takeoff the moment the necessary technologies are in place... Can I?

2002. Broadband was just taking off. Windows XP still in its prime no Facebook Jow Forums Youtube etc just comfy websites. I got into Linux around this time.

2010-2012

When I was happy

Pretty much this. 2013 and beyond the internet and most consumer tech started a downward spiral amd/or small improvements per year, just enough to keep the sheep's buying and investors happy, if it was intentional or not, that is debatable.

comfy, I kind of liked 1999-2000 too

and*

>open website on desktop
>UI is now ultra simplified mobile shit with all options hidden behind slide-in side bars and burger menus

Attached: 1542213974703.png (1280x720, 1.17M)

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1536910606085.png (1017x955, 324K)

Also
"Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?"
>Yes
>Close (10)

2000-2004
no social networks, no youtube

>what is myspace

this

>what is myspace
>what is livejournal

>have decent internet
>site still takes 5 to 12 sec to fully load
>mostly because of tracking and garbage
i wish Reader View from firefox could be set as default to load newspaper sites, would cut the loading time by 90%

Xanga was a thing too.

Hasn't happened yet.

2023~2025

'Bout 20 years ago. It hadn't gone mainstream and was a place for savvy and interesting ladies and gentlemen.

2002-2007

myspace fad was 2004 and later

youtube.com/watch?v=9gvswd1I8qo

Several times were great

2000-2002 - lots of interesting websites and discussion/messaging platforms during this time. Ezboard vbb etc... also lots of great msn messenger chatrooms. Internet was like a MMORPG where you could go anywhere and find stuff you like.

2005-2009 was peak to me. Reddit was actually good for a year or two here. This was the last time internet was a decent IQ before smartphones came to market. All the niche websites were still able to be found. Bittorrent was huge during this time.

2010-2011 things never got comfy beyond this. 2012 the writing was on the wall internet had changed and catered to low IQ consumerists.

Attached: tumblr_o02uilgvWC1rqbtm2o1_500.gif (450x540, 42K)

2000 for me.
COHF, Diablo 2, Everquest, ICQ/AIM/Yahoo/MSN/IRC.

+I lived near a liqour store and a taco bell.

2000-9/30/2003

2007 was the final year. I was also the beginning of the end.

Attached: 2007.jpg (4576x2000, 1.85M)

this, and 2007 comfiest year.

Yes, normies were beginning to flood in via Smartphones, but early Smartphones were too limited to actually do anything and the normies were confined to doing meaningless shit like online shopping, which was all the rage at that point.

After that, slowly, but oh so surely, the normie ruined the FUCK out of the web.

Is everyone saying late 90s like 40 years old?

Why is someone being 40 so surprising for you? Just because you were still shitting diapers not long ago?

Attached: 1515110836670.jpg (800x1095, 58K)

Sleep tite little Rosso

62 here. 1998 was peak and went slowly downhill for almost exactly ten more years then in 2007 it fell off a fucking cliff.

October, to be exact.

im 32 and for me it was 2005

ITT millennials and zoomers

I was born in '88 and it definitely fell off a cliff in about 2007.
Personally it died in 2005, when I went to the Jow Forums panel at Otakon and found there were just normal people on the website and not a bunch of cave trolls. Kinda killed all the magic.

Get uMatrix, that way instead of waiting 10 seconds on page load you get to spend 30 seconds figuring out which fucking cdn is used for the article and not a random ad

2007 was undeniably the best and final year

It can be great again once HOLOchain privatizes the internets

Pre 2013

why was everything better back then? It's not even nostalgia

Somewhere in between 2006-2008.

Help me understand your mindset, why do you ask yourself these questions? You will never go back in time, so what is the point?

Attached: 14228525962.jpg (557x711, 52K)

Rip old man

Selection bias.

yep

Jesus Christ 2007 was a cursed year, it pretty much destroyed the entire fucking internet forever

Yeah I agree 2006-2007 was the peak
That right most image scares me, far more than 2009 vs 2014, the 2007 vs 2009 image is scarcy. Too many small cites were already devoured a decade ago.
And 2014 was 5 years ago...fuck.

I understand someone being republican even in late dubya era but
How the fuck you think king of queens as good is another question.

It's the best combo of highest level technology and lowest level of censorship. 2006 sounds good.

Attached: 1553403542895 (1).png (1080x1620, 1.09M)

Early to mid-2000s, in my opinion.
Pretty much right before before smartphones and social media got popular.

Unironically this

Forgot crysis, the peak of gaming technology

Crysis was an unoptimized piece of shit, so bad that it took nearly 10 years to have non-super expensive computers run it at maximum settings without issues.
It was the part of the beginning of the end, not part of the sweet spot.

Performance wise id say 2018
Midrange was great and cheap CPUs
Internet hasn't peaked yet but the peak free internet was definitely 1980s-2006

Just because it was graphics-intensive doesn't mean it was unoptimized.
It's 12 years old and still looks good.

fpbp

Kek no

I started to use internet in 2007 when I went to a college. That has to be it. I'm sorry, guys.

2004-2007ish , or like 1994-2004/2007

Attached: 1552293655328.gif (280x210, 436K)

Im 50 and can still whoop you, we built this mother fucker you whipper snapper

>2006
this, anyone who says later than this is a newfag

>youtube just released, and is a comfy af site to share videos
>Jow Forums is in it's prime, pre-super-serial-scientology-shit, habbo raids every day, /b/ is still the most popular board and is actually fun to read, cockmongler and happy negro are still very much the most famous memes
>the golden age of mozilla firefox, IE starts taking a fucking pounding at this point, microshit start crapping themselves, web designers the world-over rejoice at the death of the worst browser in history
>internet is still mostly filled with straight white men, online intelligence levels and humour will never reach this peak again
>no phonefaggots, no facebook, no twitter, very few SJWs, feminazis, faggots and other gibs minorities, the utopia is now gone
>still many interesting websites out there, the great consolidation hasn't yet begun
>google not yet completely evil

>Crysis was an unoptimized piece of shit,
Not really. It was future-proofed in a way. It still looked great on lower settings which were very playable on 4000/5000 series cards. Years went on and you could finally play it on max, but by then all the other games were just as demanding but looking worse.

>It was the part of the beginning of the end, not part of the sweet spot.
The sweet spot is the beginning of the end. Some say gaming was more superficial after crysis, and gaming absolutely got more superficial after 2007 but I say good graphics are a part of depth.

early to mid 2000s.
-Internet was the wild west, everything was allowed
-compooters were finally affordable for everyone
-online gaming was fully developed
-first years of 4chin
-iPhone didn't exist
-Applel still made good compooters
-You could still get an IT job while not being from India
-OP wasn't born yet

Attached: 65307.original-7129.jpg (300x300, 38K)

>AOL
Man of culture

2006-2007, after that it all went to shit

Between 2004-2008 especially with Newgrounds. Honestly that is when we had edgy stuff posted here like lollicon, raids, people who were legitimately Autists discussing about things they liked rather than trying to fit in. Also it seemed like most people who were offended usually stayed away or went to their safe sites. Nowadays thanks to the convergence of normalfags that come here and to other places it is harming the site from being unique and it's own brand. I would not mind phone posters and the like if they legitimately talked about the topics and tried to give insight than to shit up the board with one word sentences and the constant repeat ad nasiaum of the same shit thinking it's funny. Forced humor is not funny and neither will they ever be recognized as such.

1998 to 2006 was the prime time of Internet.
Computers started to be fast enough to cope with most of the shit you could imagine.
Operating systems started to be very stable and offering a good GUI in combination with good functionality.
You were not forced to be or stay online in order to use/install programs/services and games.
Chat clients were not bloated with shit. They were just a small window in some corner of the screen. Now we have screems with 4K but Skype and the other shit takes up the entire space nonetheless. Fuck this shit!!!
Internet was quiet unregulated and the fucking jew had no lobby in it.

And now, the internet pretty much consists of commercialized shit, attention whore platforms such as tinder, instashit and jewbook.
Jow Forums was pretty much THE /b/ and it was fun to read and comment on all the jailbait and happy nigger shit memes.

It was glorious as long as it lasted.
Miss my queen Zoe

Attached: Zoe.jpg (600x722, 82K)

this but +1
Something happened in 2007 that 180'd the repulsive nerd culture and led to a massive infestation of normies who never used a personal desktop computer before and it only became worse as those people were given access to the internet without even having to buy that nerdy PC at all. Just like that one graph of Jow Forums posts and how phoneposters appear in 2012 which is also around the same year this site started going rapidly downhill, so you can correlate phone users to the quality of the internet and end up with a similar graph

Attached: 1522719388613.jpg (1436x674, 218K)

Smartphones are really great in terms of having an all in one device always with you, but it destroyed so much of our society as well.
Girls mostly are unable to have a conversation nowadays. They constantly look on their fucking smartphones while you try having a conversation with them.
It's not because you, or the topic is uninteresting, it is because these fucking whores are addicted to the shit.
Normies phoneposting is also a big issue as you mentioned.

All I know is that it's universally agreed that 2007 was the peak and start of the downfall. The smartphone allowed the worst of humanity to finally be able to use this wonderful creation where as before there was a technically barrier forbidding their entry. These last few years have really shown the damage they can do where everything has become so politically heated with the risk of censorship around every corner. When old harmless memes that have been around for over 10 years start getting removed you know something is up. Massive aggregate sites like Reddit are perhaps the worst creations ever along with social media trash like Twitter giving every retard a voice.

>online intelligence levels and humour will never reach this peak again
I'm going to stop you right there. Any year after the Eternal September has a gradual decrease in user intelligence. So the real answer to OP's question is the summer of 1993.

Yeah, 99-00. Slashdot, good games, good hardware. Social networking and cell phones hadn't ruined everything yet.

I'm still incredibly angry that, after fucking up my old YouTube account with Google+, Google just up and cancelled the service.

This, early youtube, Jow Forums producing best content, Facebook, Twitter, and all those social platforms were either very young or not even around yet, pre smart phone age, but post youtube, but also when youtube wasn't a corporate shit hole.

Yeah 2006 was pretty good, I could argue that 2005-2007 was peak. But who knows, it might just be nostalgia.

Bingo

Attached: 1507829485455.jpg (1556x2284, 861K)