/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: serveimage.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZxG3TB
pcpartpicker.com/list/TP6Mkd
nzxt.com/products/h500-matte-white)
noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification)
pcpartpicker.com/list/QFhPr6
inwin-style.com/en/gaming-chassis/Chopin/
pcpartpicker.com/list/Zg7Yjy
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9sTwsZ
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/xbKhP6/asus-monitor-vp228h
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7Yv6Hh
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is mini itx worth switching to over atx?

Go small if you like going small. But if you don't care about size, just go with ATX.

The 2600X is only like $20 more, is there any reason to go with the regular 2600?

>My AMD build list is only $45 cheaper than my Intel build list
At the $900 or so price point, does $45 matter at all? I can stick with Intel at this, can't I?

It's $20 cheaper. That's a good enough reason, I'd say.

2600 might not run as hot if you care? I never really bothered looking it up to see if that's true.

2600 only has the default fan. 2600X has a bigger RGB fan.

spend the $20 towards a decent cooler.

AMD is the way to go over intel imo. all the security issues Intel has had recently compared to AMD its not worth it, unless you care about 5-10 more fps.

fuck RGB. you dont buy a CPU because it has lights on it.

after my i7 8700 literally became faster because of a tower heatsink, i think everyone should have a beefy tower heatsink

but he should get the 2600x and get a neat heatsink. x will jsut save him hassle

But I do care about FPS because everyone says I should care about FPS since I need to build my build around my monitor. Also, productivity.

post builds.

i always opt for a aftermarket cooler no matter what the rig is used for, it makes the pc last longer.

not now they were father apart when the 2600 became the goto cpu

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZxG3TB
pcpartpicker.com/list/TP6Mkd

Case, memory, RAM is all just tentative stuff that I put in there to see what different budgets for those would change the final total.

I upgraded to a 1060 6 GB about two years ago. A few months ago I upgraded the rest of the system to an 8700K and 16GB DDR4. I have a 1440p monitor and am looking at upgrading my graphics card.

All the videos reviewing the 2070 etc. say "Just get a 10 series card, they're cheaper" but almost all of the better 10 series cards are way more expensive on NewEgg now (1070's in the $600 range). Does a 2070 seem like a reasonable upgrade for 1440p gaming?

Buy used and go SLI.

I don't like buying used and SLI is a gigantic pain/doesn't work that well in a lot of cases.

As added info I do also play VR so being able to push a Rift at 90 FPS is ideal.

Get a 1660 Ti. It's a stripped out, half-price 2060 without the useless junk.

if 1060 can SLI i think is right, best cost effectiveness for you right now.

2060 is best entry level if you really think RTX will be a thing. after that, only a 2080.

1660(Ti) will do if you dont belive in rtx. issue is that 2070 only has 10% extra performance over 2060, and even tho 2060 can do 1440p60, if you do RTX it will just fall short, so suddenly a 2080 is better performance wise.

This is probably the best alternative but it doesn't always hit 60 fps in 1440p. A 2060 isn't that much more at $350 and looks like it'll hit 60 fps all the time.

I want to sell my old i5 6400 and buy a new CPU.

I have an ebay account but I've never sold anything before. Is it hard? I can get like 100$ for it. I have the original box and fan too.

Attached: 1542881291707.png (289x289, 41K)

then futureproof like a champ and buy 2080ti

>1070's in the $600 range
Christ

I don't really care about RTX at all so if the RTX card falls apart with ray tracing I don't really care. The 2070 looks like it's closer to 15% improvement but it is $150 more which is pretty high on an FPS per dollar ratio.

I wish the next card was a 1670 instead of a 1650.

might as well wait for navi

If one went on a decent enough sale I could possibly be convinced to do it but I think I might wait for a 2070 at $450ish. With the game it comes with I think $400 is reasonable for that level of performance.

ebay takes a fee. best off selling on zuckbook marketplace or craigslist.

you should save for a 2080 really

nah wait for the gtx over 9000

I want to stay with Nvidia since I use a Shield for local game streaming. If Navi rumors start looking good before too long I might wait and use another form of streaming like Steam's or hope that they drive Nvidia's prices down.

Are these parts fine?
The USB ports on my current rig are in the process of shitting themselves out, and I figure if I need a new motherboard, I might as well upgrade the CPU as well (from a 3570k).

Attached: mild upgrade.png (1116x555, 88K)

Why did you cheap out on the motherboard?

There are better memory alternatives for DD4-3000, like Patriot or G.Skill.

both are good. maybe opt for AMD one and buy a decent cpu cooler. for the $45 you have left over.

Highest rated board on the website, what do you recommend for both the board and memory?
I don't need a lot of features for the motherboard.

I've got a 580, and want to get a new monitor for freesync.
It seems silly to get a new monitor just for freesync, so wanna up Res (currently 1080p)
So 1440p or 4k? I might be able to run some he's at native 1440p. But with 4k, even though 4k would be off the table for newer games, I could use one of those integer scaling programs to play at 1080p, and then 4k for movies and older games?

Anyone know of any good sales on 4tb drives?

If a case advertises 165mm clearance (nzxt.com/products/h500-matte-white) for a cpu cooler, does that mean I can use a 165mm fan (noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification) with some space for it to breathe, or does it just mean 'theres only 165mm of space'?

The latter.

Well, you need something that overclocks well if you've got the 2600X. It's "designed" to be overclocked, otherwise you could save $20 by getting the base 2600.

That's what I'm leaning towards since I really like the look and options of that more expensive computer case. Though I don't know if I need a cooler immediately; I probably won't step into overclocking until a year later.

GTX 1670 would defeat the purpose of RTX 2060/2070 and cannibalize sales.

how effective would this airflow design be in a regular tower pc?

Attached: corsair-one-1.jpg (1024x768, 81K)

So uh, any recommendation so for something that overclocks well?

AMD will be stronger in the long run as the upgrade path is way better compared to intel. you can upgrade a few generations before needing new stuff with AMD.

So I just got my 6TB WD Red HDD for my new build, and I'm curious.
Should I leave it as one big partition, or if I do partition it, what sizes would be appropriate?

I still want it though :(

You can save $20 and get the 2600 anyway as all of AMD's CPUs are unlocked. You can overclock the 2600 to the same performance as the 2600X easily. That's actually Gamer's Nexus recommendation to essentially never buy the 'X' version unless you don't want to bother with it at all.

the 1660 is better value and can be overclocked further than the 1660 ti.

Not really you when for 20 more dollars you can get the rtx meme. The prices are already too tight there is no room for it

is it multi-use? for instance do you need partitions for static archives like Original Content versus active project data? On the other hand, do you plan on using encryption? partitions can get hairy there. if you are not doing these things partitions dont matter. just use folders.

They went pretty tight with the 1660/1660 Ti, and there's a bigger gap between the 2060 and 2070. The 1660 Ti is only a little weaker than the 2060 on average (even completely matching in some cases) but without the ray tracing. GTX 1670 would be between the performance of 2060 and 2070, but the price might be closer to the 2060 since they have to subtract the RTX tax on top of justifying the pricing of a lower performing card. It would render both the 2060 and 2070 pointless for those who don't care about gay tracing and upscale with a side of instagram filtering.

Well you did a good job explained why the 1670 will never exist in this post. Nvidia isnt going to kill off its rtx line for no reason with no competition

which parts have the best linux compatibility? im looking to go bleeding edge on linux with a 10,000 usd budget. it's an airgapped workstation running Siemens NX. 128gb ram is acceptable but 256 is ideal because i dont currently have an nvidia tesla for FEA. main hard drives need to be the fastest available, i was thinking PCI ssd, 1 for OS, 1 for contracts and proposals, 1 for sim and live projects. there also needs to be larger format drives for archiving, the pci ssds are just for expanding the compressed worksheets from the archives. do we have 20tb drives yet? is sata still fast? i want to run multiple 4k displays to facilitate multiple programs including a proprietary microstation simulator, a winxp sim with autocad, (maybe matlab too if it foesn't run on linux) and linux CAM software simultaneously. oh and my software suite responds to clock speed more than cores, im looking to overclock to 4.5 ghz stable with water loop in an oversized case. i havent built a machine in 2 years, i dont know whats out there. the outcome is real, the budget is real, i need to get this done but im not in the mood to do hardware research for linux.

maybe i should pasta in the linux general.

Are you retarded?

im really drunk and high right now

Same

r8 this cheap build for my dad. He only browses the web and watches youtube videos. His current PC is from 2002 and is slow af.

In my opinion this is more than enough for that, what do you think?
> pic related
pcpartpicker.com/list/QFhPr6

Attached: wew.png (1756x1106, 271K)

iMac Pro with 256GB ECC.

Attached: kek.png (2016x888, 465K)

be a good son and buy him a 2200g + 8gb of ram in a pc case that includes a psu like the inwin chop in (comes with a 150w psu and its tiny)
inwin-style.com/en/gaming-chassis/Chopin/

i dont think that athlon would handle 1080p youtube.

>150w psu
is that even enough for the 2200G?

i'm looking to upgrade my desktop and finally build my own PC to use for work and occasional games/emulation, the 1080p basic in the example builds from the OP seems like it'll work well for me since i want to spend

You can overclock that thing to 3.9 GHz I think which is kinda nuts. Should be fine for reading the web and YouTube. If you want some more wiggle room without much of a price increase a 2200G is a pretty big increase in quality for only about $40 more.

Will he actually need the extra storage from the harddrive? could put that money towards the CPU.

2200g uses 65w. it'll also be a half decent cpu you wont need to upgrade for 10+ yrs unlike that athlon shitter you'll need to bin in a year.

>Will he actually need the extra storage from the harddrive?
yeah, he likes saving his smartphone pictures/videos in the PC

Fair enough. You might want to wait for a bundle where you can get the 2200G in a package at around the same price.

> 2200g uses 65w
yeah, that's on stock speeds. In my knowledge, it the thing boosts all cores that shitty PSU will shit itself.

if you have a microcenter nearby, the ryzen 1600 is $80 with $30 off any b450/x470 mobo.

oh really? maybe if the poster goes that route he might need to turn off turboing, etc.

Don't fuck with power. Just get a PSU that's not a piece of shit.

the nearest microcenter to me is about an 11 hour drive so sadly i can't take advantage of any of their good deals and i'm stuck with prime/newegg

yea psu, motherboard and case are things i dont cheap out on.

Only if you're ok with lower power parts. I fell for the itx meme but kept having overheating issues. I still like the size but don't like having to underclock my stuff.

yea thats why i havent bothered with super tiny cases like the dan a4 or shit so tiny its hard to work in, 2400g only build would be nice in a really tiny case if you can fit a big heatsink. i like the form factor but in a bigger case like the nano s or something around that size where you can fit a massive cooler or a 240mm rad + good amount of fans to cool parts.

Thoughts on the Radeon VII? I don't see any GPUs mentioned in OP post besides Nvidia stuff which to me seem way expensive for what they offer.

What's a good processor to upgrade from my i3 8100?

Housefire/10. Just get an RTX 2080.

There any news on the 1050ti successor?

I'm hoping for a card with at least 1060 performance and 4GB VRAM, if not I'll just get a 1060 6GB.

VII is the same price/performance as the corresponding RTX card but provides none of the additional benefits. If you want an AMD card waiting till Navi is probably the best bet.

Rumors about the 1650 are starting to surface and it's allegedly releasing in April. 1050 TI performance at like $180 according to the rumor mill.

Are you talking about the 1650? Not out yet, but a leaked FFXV benchmarks might suggest its performance is only slightly above that of the 1050 Ti. Consider getting a GTX 1660 non-Ti, which is about 15% faster than the 1060 6GB, unless you find yourself with quite a bit cheaper 1060.

in that case i'd go with this build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/Zg7Yjy

how due for an upgrade am I

Attached: Untitled.png (603x446, 19K)

thanks for the build user, i'm probably not going to buy the pc until uni is over in a little over a month so i'll keep an eye out for any deals, the gtx 1660 seems a bit expensive but it's not a whole lot more than an rx 570 for better performance so i'll stick with that unless i can find something better for less between now and then

You aren't unless you aren't getting acceptable performance in the games you play. Next upgrade would probably be SSD, 144Hz monitor, i7 4770K/90K

SSD would be a big upgrade. That CPU actually could still probably last for a while. I only recently upgraded from a 2500k. GPU could be a nice bump as well.

>SSD
never got one. what kind do you recommend? Idk where I would put it in the computer, is it the same thing as the storage
I have now?

It would connect the same way your current hard drive does with a SATA cable and power. Your motherboard can support it. An SSD will make your boot times, program launching times, and load times a lot faster. Like, brand new computer fast comparatively. It's a huge QOL upgrade.

If you want to save money you can buy a 256 GB (Or 120 GB if you're really pinching pennies) for OS and important programs and then use the hard drive for extra storage.

Ill prob spring for a whole TB if I got one, keeping the old one for project files and such. thanks for the advice

Why is 256GB+ ssd considered mandatory in the OP? Would 128 + 1tb hdd not suffice ? Or what about 500gb ssd standalone?

My laptop finally died (just the HDD but I figure it's time for an upgrade - it's the Asus x551c from 2012ish lol) so I'm browsing parts currently

What CPU did you pick? r5 2600 vs 8400/ 9400f?

I wouldnt recommend buying a 6core without SMT today. If the past years are any indication a slower CPU with SMT or more cores will run games significantly better in the future. If you bought an i5-6600k or i5-7600k you get seriously shafted in some games while older i7/ Xeons with SMT or 6+ cores run them a lot smoother. Heck, the 8core FX-processors run a lot of games better than the i5-2500k/ 3570k nowadays despite being way, way worse when they came out.

>it makes the pc last longer

No it doesnt, the CPU is by far the most resilient component in your computer unless you give it extreme voltages. Heat doesnt do shit to it unless its a hotspot issue that isnt registered by temp sensors.

> ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9sTwsZ

am I doing this right
I've never made my own build , kinda just looking for cheap and powerful, while also standing test of time

256 GB is not normally *that* much more expensive than 120 GB and provides a helluva lot more use. You can store some games in that space on top of the OS and not constantly be worrying about low space warnings.

>Patriot
>Better

>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9sTwsZ
What monitor are you planning on using?

I would try to step up to the 8GB variant of the RX 570. Maybe swap out that PSU for an 80+ gold as well.

>someone buys a prebuilt that uses a beautiful case, tons of LED fans and an insane watercooling setup
>the internals are a Ryzen 2700 NON-X, shit RAM, and a barely-above-midrange GPU
>my fucking face when

Yea I decided on 250 w 1tb hdd
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/xbKhP6/asus-monitor-vp228h
I think, anyways

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7Yv6Hh

How big of a difference would I be seeing? Really would like to stay in $800 range if possible, above is updated build