I'm the CTO and co-founder in a (now) 5 people startup (3 tech guys and 2 sales/marketing guys)...

I'm the CTO and co-founder in a (now) 5 people startup (3 tech guys and 2 sales/marketing guys), we hired a new front-end developer this week and he received the company issue T470 with Ubuntu 18.04 installed. But he has been complaining about it, says he can't work without Photoshop (a lie) and he doesn't know to use Linux (the job advert explicitly said applicants should have some degree of Linux knowledge).

Should we fire him? The law in my country allows us to fire people within the first month with no repercussions.

Attached: 188116b226db4e64f0b862495ccf385d.png (1010x579, 508K)

Other urls found in this thread:

getpaint.net/download.html
pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Absolutely. If he's already a problem now, get rid of him.

Attached: 1548045251137.jpg (1226x1500, 441K)

Yes, if he is unwilling to learn a new skill on the job, how will he handle learning something harder than trivial linux skills?

How did you "hire" a guy without Linux knowledge without testing him on Linux knowledge in the interview process?

Does he have GIMP installed on the laptop?

i would

B-B-B-BUT I NEED PHOTOSHOP TO EDIT PNG IMAGES

I didn't get to interview him in person (I was out of town), my other co-founder did (lead of money team). When asked about if he had Linux experience he yes because he knew to ssh into Ubuntu servers and install apache.

remove immediately. youre making baby stallman cry

Using GIMP for professional work fucking blows. Maybe in your autismo mind him telling you that he needs Photoshop is a lie, but really he's just suggesting the tool that will allow him to do the fastest work possible for you.

Having Linux knowledge does not need to mean that one should need to readapt existing workflows.

Photoshop costs too much for anyone who isn't already successful. GIMP is good enough.

>t. OP's cuckloyee
Let OP be a retarded CTO. He's deserved it, the company is gonna fail anyway.

Send an email to Stallman, ask him what to do.

The post his response on Jow Forums

This
>GIMP is good enough
depends what for really. I suspect, Gimp is indeed 'good enough' for OPs particular company, its just fucking useless for most everyone elses. I'll guarantee you, that POS is (stastically..) the most last-used linux program ever. 'here -try this! Its like PS!' - and, its G'Bye, Linux

I understand if he was a web designer or UX designer, but he's mostly here for front end programming, we have a freelancer we hire for most graphical work. Most of the graphic work he'll do is resizing and cropping PNGs, and you absolutely don't need a $500/yr software package for that.

About the Linux thing, we'll talk to him tomorrow if he wants us to install Windows 10 in his machine.

If he gets win10 he can use Paint just fine.

maybe GIMP can do the job you want to, but in 90% of the cases photoshop will do it faster, is more intuitive and everybody knows it already. GIMP is really annoying to use. Krita is coming really close to being able to replace photoshop, but it is still missing certain tools and features.
And on top of that $500/yr is nothing for a company compared to the time it'll take him to get used to the new (and mostly worse) toolset and workflow

>with Ubuntu 18.04 installed
i'd be mad as fuck, anything but this atrocity of a distro

>but he's mostly here for front end programming
Then what the fuck does he need Photoshop for cropping some images?

I use photoshop and I can't fucking use GIMP.

You're an idiot.
If he's already giving trouble in the frist month in which he can easily be fired, what do you think will happen after that?

This faggot is right OP. If you're a startup, and you're worried about spending $500/year on a $75000/year resource, you have no sense of economy or money and you should cash out now.

t. I am a $60000/year resource and my computer is worth about $50 and the company has lost thousands because I was doing nothing because the computer is too slow.

Who cares if he uses linux or windows, its just the fucking OS. Your goal is to have your employees use the tools that they can be most productive with. If you are so autistic that this is actually a concern, and you took the time to put it on Jow Forums, I guarantee you will be part of the reason your company fails. Also nice meme “CTO” title for a 5 person company

$75000 for a front-end webdesigner that needs Photoshop to slice and crop a few images?
I'm always very generous in giving my employees top of the line hardware, but I don't hire people that insist on using Windows.
We once had a temp that brought his own Windows laptop. He wasted so much time getting the open source tools we use installed on that thing, and every now and then things broke down because of a Windows update.
If it would make an employee productive, $120 for Photoshop and a $250 for Windows licence is nothing, but it will give other overhead and it's an indication he is the kind of person you don't want to hire.
Better to give him a Mac if he needs certain commercial tools like Photoshop.

>front-end
>linux
Why is he supposed to have knowledge in linux aside from some simple apache stuff when he's a fucking front-end?

Stop being an autistic retard and just give him a mac and a copy of photoshop

There's always Ubuntu for Windows 10 aka "Windows Subsystem for Linux" if he needs to quickly use open source software.

If the frontend is using Node JS, his work should be pretty agnostic between OS'.

I generally use Windows 10 for programming and gaming, but when I need to use something that only works well on Linux, I use WSL or git bash.

That said, if he is truly deficient in his skills and his workflow is incompatible with everyone else, make the choice you have to make for the best of everyone. Best of luck.

you all say that because you are simply used to photoshop.
I learned to edit images on GIMP, can achieve the exact same results as my peers on photoshop. I once tried it when i had to edit some images over at my cousin's house. I honestly could not use it, the UI was all over the fucking place, the icons, tools, everything was different. Simply put, for me, photoshop is shit for the exact same reasons GIMP is shit for most of you.

works on my machine with kde plasma as de

Sounds like his preference is Photoshop but other graphics programs are very similar, with similar shortcut keys even so the learning curve is small. Why can't he use GIMP or some other Linux graphics program?

I'm a programmer. I got to choose which programming language to use to get the job done. So I consider myself lucky. But if you want me to learn a whole new language that will take time. But it will take much less time for him to learn GIMP or some other Linux graphics pgm.

Does paint.net run on Linux? Maybe he could use that. Hm, nope, it's Windows only. getpaint.net/download.html

But it sounds like you don't have the resources for a PC that runs Photoshop and a Photoshop license.

yes and fire the other faggots and apply for another high interest loan and spend $100,000 of bitches and blow

thank me later

>uses somebody's custom program
>the UI was all over the fucking place, the icons, tools, everything was different.

GIMP is disgusting a I know anyone who says it’s usable or even “good enough” is full of shit. GIMP is a troll program (how does the name not give that away?) and you fell for it, the designer set out to make an obtuse interface and wagered people would still use it no matter how bad because they are either autistic or blindly devoted to opensource no matter how bad it is, the joke is on you, the joke is that you used and have a low enough iq to recommended it to people.
Use krita or psdfiddle.com instead

Attached: 2D43F6CF-4BC5-4CD0-94A9-1F35381078C3.gif (351x324, 1.16M)

You learnt to ride a bicycle without a seat so you just got used to the anal penetration with every ride, you still got the same results as some one riding a bicycle with a seat. You then tried your cousins bicycle which actually has a seat but it feels weird to you because you miss the Ana, stimulation because you’re a faggot

Attached: F10724E7-43CA-4F1C-9AE8-14869255D3B2.gif (480x434, 2.74M)

This.

Based. OP BTFO'd

people here will tell you to fire him but that would mean big waste of time and money. Its a kid and kids are retarded.
i say force him to use Pinta, because why the fuck would you need photoshop for begginer front end shit, and if he refuses put him in his fucking place.
Another retardation from him and start looking for a replacement and drop him once he finish his job or the month ends.

>resizing and cropping PNGs
Outsource this. There is zero reason for you to hire someone to do this. Even if the employee is not giving problems you are a brainlet

I'm sad to listen to such a lost cause trying to defend everything wrong in this world.

Fire him. C'mon, OP. You know this.

Why do you "require" linux?
Your company, if it's not dogshit, should be using docker and he should be able to use any operating system he wants, and if he enjoys windows or mac, it would not matter.
If he's really just front-end then there's absolutely no reason he SHOULD know linux, why would he? He works with HTML/CSS/JS, maybe a bit of backend every now and then, but he was hired to not touch the back end or deployment.

Your company probably sucks dick.

Why would a 'front-end developer' ever need Photoshop, or anything similar? They should be writing code.

Attached: 1336343849885.gif (512x384, 2.56M)

Why? Just because you like riding a bike without a seat and seek out to hit every bump on your journey for your masochistic enjoyment doesn’t mean we have to do the same, some of us are not retarded and actually have to be productive. You don’t have to use photoshop either, any alternative is better than gimp, like krita or psdfiddle.com

Attached: F711BE77-7B4E-491C-8F72-C0CF17A32684.gif (300x169, 2.77M)

I mean... are you really going to decide how to manage a company based on a bunch of autists on a Vietnamese gay basket-weaving forum?
Imagine hearing you got fired because of Jow Forums...

Attached: 1486685675437.jpg (500x500, 58K)

Just have him install Photoshop in a windows VM. wanting Photoshop over GIMP for professional work is perfectly reasonable; while GIMP has become pretty powerful, it's much, much more awkward to use than PS, especially for those who are already used to working with Photoshop and has a workflow which allows him to do his job quickly and effectively with it.
don't budge on Linux though

>Most of the graphic work he'll do is resizing and cropping PNGs
Maybe he doesn't want to use piece of shit that takes longer to start than full-fledged PS for that? Paint.net or Krita are million-times better in every aspect than GIMP.

The more you post, the more I think the retarded one here is you you know.

You sound like those "bitcoin enthusiast" kind, when people ask him to make software for cow-milking pump, he makes the whole system use blockchain instead of just passing data like a normal human being.

I fucking hate Adobe but Photoshop allows me to work a lot faster on whatever project I'm doing. I just saw this thread by chance on the front page and Photoshop is the best software out there to save time and headache. Fuck GIMP, whether or not you like their gay subscription model.

i've been using photoshop for years and have tried to switch to GIMP several times. Most things you can find a way to do in GIMP, but each one requires googling every step as a PS user, so a 30 second project becomes a 15 minute project. For more advanced stuff, there's just flat out no way to accomplish it in GIMP

>tfw taught myself to use gimp years ago because my pc was too slow for photoshop
>i know photoshop is way better but i can't be bothered to learn it now

It does not but there is a clone that comes pretty close
pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/

Are you sure he only needs to do that? If that's true you should speak to him for a last chance, but if he does in fact need to do some work you cannot pretend he does that on gimp.

I do work a lot with the adobe suite and various other tools to make designs but I must tell you that when I have to do some resizing or cropping I always do that on linux... being able to do that stuff with imagemagik or inkscape on the command line is way faster than photoshop's macros!