Is it me or does the new "NET" feel kind of empty?

I feel like the old net held a lot more... "Secrets" it felt as if you could hear whispers behind websites. there was always something being discussed and things to be found. Now it feels kind of dead. have any of you experienced this?

Attached: tumblr_ov8chnEzJW1w39ueyo1_400.jpg (400x244, 52K)

never mind, I figured it out

wut...

I still feel like there are secretes, I just can't be bothered to find them

sent you the fix, check your pms

There are secrets, they're just harder to find than they once were.

>I feel like the old net held a lot more... "Secrets"
Only someone who wasn’t around for the “old net” would say something so retarded

yeah likes and upvotes ruined everything for that
not that anyone tried to be secretive before but people didn't have any incentive to repost stuff 9000 times

old net was hundreds times better and more interesting. But it has lot to do with what kind of people were online at that time

Thread closed.

=====================================

You must register to view this image.
Topic locked, use the search function next time.

this. netiquette is dead, and any nigger can get an internet connected phone on layaway. hell, even after eternal summer, AOL still wasnt nearly as ubiquitous as internet-connected phones are today.

>eternal summer
It was the eternal autumn, newfag.

The feeling is largely due to click bait shill sites showing up in the first 3-10 pages of search results for just about anything.
When everyone blocks ads, advertising agencies have to turn the whole internet into ads.

Just hang out on i2p lol.

I miss the old net too, it's sort of brainlet tier nowadays. I blame two things: commercialization and too accessible. These combine into a normie experience of the internet being the new television.

>netflix, youtube, music streaming, reddit for yellow press and awful journalism that relies on clickbait, unemployed English major grads that simply copy articles by each other, etc.

Also google making the net more idiot proof. Hard to find exactly what I want, especially "more advanced" subjects. And I don't use google account for searches.

TL;DR the internet and computers are the new television of 2000s+

The cure may be making affiliate sites a thing again. Best way to escape google and faceshit is by not using them.

>tfw ywn have a cute geocities page with cool buttons on the side bar of 90s anime girls linking to other websites

endless autumn is usenet, eternal summer is Jow Forums.

These faux nostalgia fags should be called.

I was born in 98.
Been on the Internet since ~01, but back then I only watched brainpop. By about 2005 I was playing flash games on newgrounds and addictinggames. That was about it. I remember myspace and aol, but never used them. My mother uses aol occasionally just to spite google.
My parents owned an ISP, but most of my early 2000s networking was over intranets my father would set up to play DOOM

Well the internet definitely lacks uniqueness.
>NPC #83837 would like you to follow his twitter account.
>NPC #828291 would like you to follow his instagram account
>please look at these pictures of my dog.
>look how good my life is. please, give me the like button dopamine.

It's because a few gigantic companoes like Facebook, Youtube and Reddit have caused millions or billions of disparate groups with different interests to coalesce onto just a few centralized platforms. Then they take away the actual experience of exploring the larger Internet by building apps that only go to their sites. Apps are the reason the worldwide web is dead.

When I say intranet -
I shit you not, my father would set up a server tower and some desks in our living room and then he and his nerd buddies (mostly his clients or prospective clients) would all hook up to the server over ethernet and play a large multiplayer game of DOOM. He won a few advertising contracts with the city this way.

Old internet had a lot of medium and small sized communities who cared about the shit they did.
Flash game sites, forums, art,...
Now everything is merged into a few sites with clickbait and karmafagging. Everything has to be social and welcoming to newfags/retards. Every 5 clicks someone tries to sell you some dumb shit. On many sites you can/have to log in with your google mail or facebook. It all became a money thing. Google and other search engines actively try to steer you back to your coporate approved controlled internet experience while other sites starve as a result of this.

I think that's because the Internet has conglomerated. Someone post that info graphic about how the internet's traffic was spread out in the 2000s versus today (2016 in the chart iirc)
Back then, everyone you met on the Internet would have used sites that a small amount if other users did as well, since it was an enthusiast thing back then. Now everyone uses it, and a lot of people's attentions have been drawn to the mainstream sites. Those enthusiast sites are still there, but they're just a lot harder to find since most people you meet on the net these days are unlikely to go looking for them or know about them.

Works on my machine

Even on the sites they send you in circles and only show you stuff you already know.
Just look at the shitty youtube algo.
My feed is full of stuff I've already seen multiple times. And from time to time there are these "random" videos you get recommended all of a sudden and when you click on them the only comments are people who noticed the same thing. Log out, clear cookies, get a new ip, click on a video you like(music, band, whatever) and be amazed at all the new stuff which you've never seen before. This works for about 20 minutes. After that it's the old shitpile again.

Attached: 1553363628210.png (960x684, 106K)

In amount of data or number of requests?
Videos are big guys.
also
>mobile

Not the one I was talking about, but thats neat.

You have to be at least 18 to post here

>1998 started 21 years ago
Kill me

So you want everyone to be a retarded normalfag?

That pic is mostly right: change Google for Altavista, IE 3 for IE 4, the new Netscape logo for the old one

i miss blogs. you really got to see what people were about and what designs that they were into. most forums were utter shit though

What's the difference between web browsing and others? Is it any traffic like torrenting?

>miss blogs
1/3 of the web is wordpress.

this makes me never want to use youtube again desu.

is youtube an even bigger botnet than facebook?

fpbp

Attached: 1544776016351.jpg (900x2002, 827K)

This image should be updated for 2019.

>several thousand
>only 1,440 are shown there
uhhh

>counting them
why

autist or a vampire

yes

Geocities hosted the best content on the web at one time.