I got a 120k offer at google!

>I got a 120k offer at google!
>Now I'll be able to barely afford rent living in a bedroom with 4 other guys.

Friendly reminder that the, "learn to code" meme is a conspiracy started by big tech to flood the market with retards to drive the salary prices down despite 100k being literal poverty level in silicon valley.

Attached: IMG_0282.jpg (2041x1141, 435K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/27/silicon-aa-cost-of-living-crisis-has-americas-highest-paid-feeling-poor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>have entry level programming job
>enough to pay for a big apartment in a comfy area of town with my best friend while keeping a shitload of money for myself.

Every programming job isn't in SF you dumb fuck.

It costs $30k a year to live in a one bedroom apartment by yourself in Silicon Valley.

theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/27/silicon-aa-cost-of-living-crisis-has-americas-highest-paid-feeling-poor

I don't believe people that day NYC and SF are expensive to live at on a 6 figure salary. Think you're all just living above your means.

>The biggest cost is his $3,000 rent – which he said was “ultra cheap” for the area – for a two-bedroom house in San Francisco
So it's literally nothing and he's just blowing money on a bunch of other useless shit. I bet he buys Starbucks and avacado toast every day and drives a Tesla.

I'm not sure how that one is working out. Assuming for argument's sake his salary is 120k, he's paying around 34,000 in taxes, after paying 3,000 in rent he's got around 50k left for everything from food, car, etc since that's all wildly variable.

Even IN high rent areas 3k a month will still get you a nice ass bachelor pad. No there won't be room for a wife, kids, and a dog. But claiming its poverty level is the biggest bunch of a bullshit I have read in my life.

having 50k after taxes and rent is a huge amount of money
people who've grown up in wealthy households have no concept of what it is to not be rich.

>theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/27/silicon-aa-cost-of-living-crisis-has-americas-highest-paid-feeling-poor

Is any of this actually fucking true? I've only ever lived in denver and socal.

>I don't believe people that day NYC and SF are expensive to live at on a 6 figure salary.
Based on what? Whatever you pulled out of your ass?
If you aren't a public worker or school teacher, NYC's CoL notoriously high. Landlords are greedy to the point where rent control has become a spectator sport for people in other states. If you don't want to have a three hour commute, food is going to be very expensive as you won't be able to live in a neighborhood that lets you have both a place to sleep AND a car. If you do have a car, you can get go out to the boondocks or buy in bulk, but have fun dealing with the rotting mass transit system.

Attached: 1214956340471.jpg (490x560, 39K)

It is true in the fact that there will be idiots who have no idea how to manage money living in any location.

Meant to quote

Phone posting problems

CoL isn't relevant for software developers. Their work campuses are nicer than hotels, they aren't being sent to a fucking coal mine or digging ditches all day. Muh grocery bill ? Oh boo hoo you can have Amazon delivery groceries to your door for a few extra bucks compared to suburban shopping.

Maybe Americans are fucking dumb, you don't need all that shit to raise a family. You don't need a huge house, you don't need a super expensive SUV. I was raised in a tiny ass Italian apartment with 2 rooms, one for me and my mother and the other were my mom and dad slept in, we didn't have SUV but the Fiat Fiorino van my dad had for work, we sat in tomato crates in the back. And at the end I turned out fine and so did my bother.

I get public education in the US is shit but but I think with $120k you should be able to send a kid or two to a decent enough private school.

I'm still a college student so I haven't had to deal with the real world yet but I'm venturing its a case of living above means.

>mom makes 100k before taxes in southern cali
>actually had to sell some jewelry of hers because it turns out you don't have very much money left when you take 3 vacations a year and lease a brand new lexus.

Most private schools are a complete fucking meme. As long as you live in a middle class predominately white/asian district you're kids will get a good education provided you make sure they are good students.

I live in a metropolitan area making 100k and rent is under 1k for a 1 bedroom and no state taxes. Sorry you got cucked by commyfornia and feel bittet

It's true. Average rent for a 1br apartment in SF is $3k; it's slightly - but not much - cheaper to live down on the peninsula. SF has become a hellhole where people are either working in tech and paying thousands in rent every month, or scared shitless that they'll get evicted and have to move away.

austin or seattle?

ikr. I come from a family of 4, and my mother on made 30k before taxes, rent, etc... The idea that you can't live off of 50k after that stuff is insane to me.

>entire family was originally from bay area
>granddad worked at stanford back in 50s-70s.
>mom showed me house she grew up in palo alto.
>it looks like a nice upper middle class home home
>now worth somewhere around 4-5 million
The bay area must have been such an awesome place to live back before silicon valley fuckers ruined it and back when california was apeshit over taxes.

I live in NYC and literally none of this is true or relevant.

just live in van, piss in the bottles and then move to slavic land like a king

Attached: 1474224791682.jpg (720x835, 194K)

I've worked for giant tech in the Silicon Valley for six years now.

People here honestly believe it's true, but it's not. Everyone thinks they're just middle class, no matter how much they make.

When people say they "don't have any money left over", what they mean is "after paying $3k in rent per month, putting $18,000/y into my 401k and going to restaurants 3-4 times per week at $60 each, living comfortably in general while setting aside a thousand dollars per month for a rainy day, all I have left is my stock grants"

Honestly, it disgusts me how out of touch people are.

whats the work/life balance at the giant techs in the bay?

how do low level bullshit jobs work in an expensive city like that? if people making 6 figures can hardly get by how do gas station works survive there? do they commute 2 hours every day to work? why would you commute to a gas station?

meh, for some 35-40, for others 50-70. This can be different for different people even on the same team. A lot of it self-directed

wonder who's behind this post

>50k left for everything from food, car, etc
oh no, how will he ever survive

that's literally every place before (((gentrification)))

Even 500k a year is poverty tier.

Attached: FS-500K-Student-Loan.png (723x577, 131K)

is right. I work maybe 35, and I did reject a few opportunities

If he's smart, he's putting in around 20k into saving so he now has 30k for food, car, other bills, fun money.

Mind me asking how much you make and whats your job title? I would fucking kill to have a 35 hour work week.

>$18,000 on charity
There's your problem

finally, a post created by actual intelligence

>(((charity)))
>3 vacations a year
>average
wew

When you are your spouse are each making 250k I don't think it'd be out of the norm to want 3 vacations but the charity is stupid.

>Poverty

>Luxury cars
>3 fucking vacations a year
>Supporting a family of 4
>Insurance for everyone
>18k on fucking charity after paying 250k on taxes

jesus, you Americans really are out of touch with the outside world.

Attached: 12240037_447797168760672_6262715576771966146_n.jpg (206x213, 13K)

Senior SWE. I made $390k last year

no user, what im saying is after all of that shit how the fuck could you possibly feel only "average"

What is the difference between junior vs senior SWE?

Who in the fuck is raising those kids if you and your spouse are making 250k?? Either one of you is a bigshot corporate lawyer or an executive thats working 60-70 hour work weeks to bring home 500k, or both of you are working 40-50 hours and are leaving those two kids to be raised by a day care center.

>theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/27/silicon-aa-cost-of-living-crisis-has-americas-highest-paid-feeling-poor
What an article...all i get from this is that these young IT SV professionals are receiving a massive wage but have zero budget management skills and are whining like little babies to let someone else resolve it...pathetic.

All that and still have 7000 in cash, after giving away 18gs... 1.5 million home... Really I need to feel bad for them how?

years of experience, responsibility, some communication skills

The new boomers

I mean in terms of the actual work

also management skills.

junior software engineers are expected to implement known solutions to known problems. the more senior you get, the more is expected for you to figure out on your own. your higher pay is justified by the fact that you were the first guy to figure something out and you didn't fuck everything up.

a senior role is someone who creating creating the solution to a certain problem they handed. A junior role is someone who does the grunt work that was handed to them by the senior after the senior figured out the solution, or the junior is just implementing a known solution to a known problem.

Basically what sets a senior and junior apart is their algorithm capabilities.

At Google?

>with my best friend
he lives with a room-mate

Attached: 1516115685086.jpg (2544x4000, 906K)

It wont

You're not supposed to feel bad for them. They live well beyond their means.

It could help with taxes?

You ever tried living alone user? It fucking sucks. Its lonely as shit. Obviously a wife/gf would be better but living alone gets old REAL fast.

Yeah. Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, etc that it is the main distinction.

Fuck you, hikkilife is best life.

How do i make it If I am a retard outside of USA(for now) that wishes to learn?

You can find several 1/1 with 900 sq ft within 10 minutes of campus for $2400

America's problem is everyone sells themselves into debt slavery. Loans are a fucking scam. Rent is also a fucking scam. Both are designed to make OTHER people rich while you suffer in silence and pay them. If you can't afford something, you can't afford it. Debt is absolute BULLSHIT.

Step 1: Digitize your life. Re-evaluate everything you own, and ask yourself why you own that thing when you can just have a digital copy on your computer. Family photos, documentation, books, music, video, etc. You don't need any of that shit. You can fit your entire life on a storage device the size of your palm, assuming you aren't some faggot hoarding 10TB of anime. But hell, even if you are that faggot, those drives still take up way less space than a room full of DVD cases.

Step 2: Find a place where you can live for free. It doesn't matter if it's your parents, your relatives, a good friend, a government program, or even squatting on someone's empty property. Whatever it is, just find a comfort zone; don't worry about breaking laws, so what if they arrest you? Three square meals a day and free healthcare if they actually arrest you.

Step 3: Work, save money. If you aren't paying rent/mortgage, you will have plenty of money to afford food and shit. You should only need a few years to save up a boatload of dosh.

Step 4: Build one bedroom shipping container house. A 40-foot container is basically enough for a single male. Absolutely dirt cheap. Depending on your job, you can probably afford to deck it out with solar panels, make it as energy efficient as possible, and fill the interior with luxuries. Who cares if you live in a shipping container if the inside is comfy as fuck? With your own electrical generation driving down the monthly cost and no need to pay rent, you only need to pay for food, water, internet, minimal electrical bill, and yearly tax. Even a minimum wagie could afford it and have extra to blow on whatever the fuck.

Stupidest advice I've seen all day.

I work in SV, $180k, live in a 1500sqft condo with [spoiler]my wife[/spoiler], 30-40 ish minutes drive to work. Yeah, traffic is shit, but I fucking love pocketing nearly $3k every week (yes, week) after taxes, rent and other CoL. But then I come from a fuckpoor family so I know how to manage my money, be frugal when needed, and not blow it all like a retard.

agreed

Typical American mindset. There's absolutely nothing wrong with building a small house out of cheap materials, as long as it's well designed. For less than the price of a typical family's SUV, I guarantee I can build a 40-foot container house with enough solar panels to bring my monthly cost down to almost nothing and it'll be nicer inside than a typical shitty apartment in the city. LED lighting, energy efficient appliances, solar hot water (with electric backup), comfy as fuck furniture, etc. The property value will be shit because appraisers think the same way you faggots do, so the tax will be negligible. I could work at fucking walmart and still live like a king. After a few years, I could build another one, on the same plot of land right next to the first and rent it out to someone for even MORE money. They're small enough that I could fit a whole row of them on one property if I felt like it.

Why don't you show us a picture of your container house then if you aren't larping?

I did it for 4 years up in some mountains. It was extremely comfy for a year, then it got a little lonely. I started to think about all the nice things I had but could never share. Nobody would visit because it was an hour away from basically anything. I started doing extremely autistic shit like micro-optimizing daily routines, trying to shave off seconds. I lost the energy to do much more than basic upkeep on the house, my initially vigorous renovations stalled. After two years I was definitely depressed, and i sailed right through two more in a total haze. It wasn't until after I sold and moved back to where my old friends were that I realized how much I took for granted in other people. We're social animals, user. I'm definitely an introvert, but I still need some kind of personal contact on a daily basis, and coworkers don't count.

> drive the salary prices down
Salaries go down -> real estate prices go down. It's like you don't know what economics is.

Fucking hilarious that eurofags often brag that their houses are built so much nicer since American homes are basically just 2x4s, drywall and vinyl. Yet you're saying our shit is overbuilt?
Shipping containers are just memes. You can just buy a single wide without having to put in months of labor and get a better result with some resale value. The steel walls of a container house basically guarantee a shitty time for at least four months a year in 80% of America unless you insulate the absolute fuck out of it, and the fucking things are more expensive than just framing a god damn tiny house with wood. If you've got the skills to make a container work, you can do the same with traditional construction for less. Derp. Container homes are memes for retards.

Salaries would go down LONG LONG before real estate ever followed

do you spend 100k on rent? Dumb ass nigger stop buying coffee and a tesla every year.

Not him but you don't have to literally live with the person to have human contact

The bubble has to be popped.

>I make under 20k
>there is a *significant* population of people who literally have multiples times my annual income for DISCRETIONARY expenses
>yet they still say things like "I can barely survive"
I hate the wealthy, the middle class, and the public so fucking much

Attached: 1506382566691.jpg (400x400, 30K)

Then don't live in Shiticon Valley. I fare a bit better in Michigan where at least I can put a LITTLE money into my retirement account cuz SS will never cover all expenses.

Silicon Valley is good if you're not a normalfag and don't care about normalfag shit.

That's why I work in a niche and earn £60k without spending even nearly half of that in rent and other outgoings. I also have job security for at least the next 20-30 years.

I feel the same could see it on my parents.
I was the only child of a shitty middle class in thirldworld making $200-300 dollars a month. Now they make good, money really good money that puts them top %1 in 3rdworld standarts, even when you convert to dollar they make low 6 figures. Which is upper middle class if not upper.
But they still live like frugal motherfuckers and thing is so am I. Just fucking bought a refurbished thinkpad because I didn't want to waste 2k (1/6 of my dads sallary) on a maxed out t480.
Thoguh I feel we are one civil war away from poverty, man It must be comfy in us of a. I rather be a middle class there than to be an upper middle here desu.

Hahaha.

Your advice: Live in poverty your entire life.

My advice: Find a partner, work together, pay off a house in 10 years. Have a comfortable place to live for the rest of your life whilst requiring very little income to keep living now you have shelter. Working part time would be enough to live if you actually already have shelter.

Your way is absolutely crazy.

According this thread. My only options are live in literal poverty and never enjoy my salary or live in excess

I had a friend who pulled this shit because he saw big numbers. Meanwhile I’ll enjoy pulling in 150k at an insurance company in an area where a 5000 ft^2 house costs 250k.

>kids
>McMansion
>'luxury' cars
>charity
>three vacations/yr

Entirely depends on the company and how good you are. I get 300 and work maybe 30 hours a week with the occasional 90 hour week every few months. Senior big tech swe.