/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1553290476619.jpg (3844x2164, 840K)

Other urls found in this thread:

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pan9wn/hackers-hijacked-asus-software-updates-to-install-backdoors-on-thousands-of-computers
agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=838
techquila.co.in/amd-radeon-rx-580-vs-nvidia-gtx-1060/
pcpartpicker.com/list/sgf7LJ
pcpartpicker.com/product/Pjzv6h/rosewill-power-supply-capstone650m
amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00119A-P12-Black-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07GB5JRTZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/XJ6hHh
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=439,391&sort=price&page=1
youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=1T2qmoKC8og&t=946s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are Corsair PSUs good? Talking about highest end, AX1600i.

Thinking of upgrading from my 3770k+r9 390. I'm currently using a 1080p/75 monitor, but I'll upgrade to a 1440p/144 monitor when I upgrade. Should I wait fo the next gen of processors (and possibly gpu's) or not?

AMDshills BTFO.

Attached: 1523803289376.png (266x336, 64K)

>should I wait when we've been on the same node for years and are finally getting a new node

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pan9wn/hackers-hijacked-asus-software-updates-to-install-backdoors-on-thousands-of-computers

>256-bit vector instructions (AVX instructions) are split into two micro-ops handling 128 bits each. Such instructions take only one entry in the micro-operation cache. A few other instructions also generate two micro-ops. The maximum throughput of the micro-op queue after the decoders is six micro-ops per clock. The stream of micro-ops from this queue are distributed between ten pipelines: four pipes for integer operations on general purpose registers, four pipes for floating point and vector operations, and two for address calculation. This means that a throughput of six micro-ops per clock cycle can be obtained if there is a mixture of integer and vector instructions.

>Let us compare the execution units of AMD's Ryzen with current Intel processors. AMD has four 128-bit units for floating point and vector operations. Two of these can do addition and two can do multiplication. Intel has two 256-bit units, both of which can do addition as well as multiplication. This means that floating point code with scalars or vectors of up to 128 bits will execute on the AMD processor at a maximum rate of four instructions per clock (two additions and two multiplications), while the Intel processor can do only two. With 256-bit vectors, AMD and Intel can both do two instructions per clock. Intel beats AMD on 256-bit fused multiply-and-add instructions, where AMD can do one while Intel can do two per clock. Intel is also better than AMD on 256-bit memory writes, where Intel has one 256-bit write port while the AMD processor has one 128-bit write port. As long as the software uses only 128-bit vectors, we will see the performance of the Ryzen processor as quite competitive. The AMD can execute six micro-ops per clock while Intel can do only four. But there is a problem with doing so many operations per clock cycle. It is not possible to do two instructions simultaneously if the second instruction depends on the result of the first instruction, of course. The high throughput of the processor puts an increased burden on the programmer and the compiler to avoid long dependency chains. The maximum throughput can only be obtained if there are many independent instructions that can be executed simultaneously.

>AMD has a different way of dealing with instruction set extensions than Intel. AMD keeps adding new instructions and remove them again if they fail to gain popularity, while Intel keeps supporting even the most obscure and useless undocumented instructions dating back to the first 8086. AMD introduced the FMA4 and XOP instruction set extensions with Bulldozer, and some not very useful extensions called TBM with Piledriver. Now they are dropping all these again. XOP and TBM are no longer supported in Ryzen. FMA4 is not officially supported on Ryzen, but I found that the FMA4 instructions actually work correctly on Ryzen, even though the CPUID instruction says that FMA4 is not supported.

agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=838

tldr;
Ryzen AVX and Intel AVX are NOT the same, and treating them as if they are is dumb.

So only MSI is an option now?

Zen still has higher perf/watt in AVX despite it needing combined FPUs. Imagine being this mad about that.

Also I love how your source is Agner, who will say that as well, but you're omitting it.

We have no clue if/when Intel will actually hit the new node. They've had to delay like half a dozen times so far.

I'm actually not the same guy and I agree with you on the perf/watt part. I'm simply pointing out that while AMD DOES have AVX support, there ARE some big differences that can make a major impact on performance if you're doing something in particular that requires 256-bit instructions.

Simply saying "AMD HAZ AVX" is kinda fucking stupid and will bite you in the ass in some niche use-cases, real time audio production is one of the main ones I hear about due to many layered effects using 256-bit AVX instructions which simply has much lower latency on intel due to not having to split it into 128-bit micro-ops.

Does anyone believe the rumors that 3rd-gen Ryzen chips will be out by July? I want to build an AMD PC but I really didn't want to wait until the Memorial Day sale, and it would be pointless to use that sale if Generation 3 is out for the same price points the month after.

>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
Why no RX 580? They are cheaper than 1060 6GB everywhere

>Trusting Motherboard
>Trusting anything under Vice

GOYIM THIS IS NOT EVERY AMD FRIENDLY!

Attached: 12.jpg (474x582, 60K)

well AMD themselves at CES said
>Mid-2019
whatever that means.

Attached: AMD CES 2019 KEYNOTE PREVIEW SLIDES_Share-page-005.jpg (9282x3375, 1007K)

So basically Intel's AVX is better at a higher cost but AMD's isn't as good but also doesn't take as much power?

Right but if that's like September or some shit I'll just build now/by May at the latest.

>0.94% of Steam users own a 580
>more people own the 2080ti than a Vega
fucking LOL at gaymd
techquila.co.in/amd-radeon-rx-580-vs-nvidia-gtx-1060/
imagine buying their crappy shitty garbage cards in 2019, they're only good for useless shits who use linux

Pretty much. And because intel supports more AVX extension sets for longer, it's more likely to be able to run legacy esoteric shit.

Yeah but they didn't talk price. If 3rd gen is cheaper than 2nd gen/at the same price, it's pointless to buy now.

Reasonable upgrade from 3770k, 780 and 1080p 144hz? Anything I should change? Budget is pretty much maxed out. I have an air cooler already.

pcpartpicker.com/list/sgf7LJ

Pretty much, which is why they use it to compare power and not performance.

Better not use the same logic on AMD GPUs.

Who cares when Intel hits a new node when they're nearly irrelevant at this point?
It would be like worrying about when AMD is going to hit a new arch and node back 6 years ago.

because dumb shill who thinks US prices, which over 50% of /pcbg/ builders are from, doesn't matter
>US doesn't matter
>only China matters now

q2 or q3
Actually seems it'll be June or so. They've already made boards.

Yes but AMD's is still better perf/watt at it lmao

GPUs aren't as equivalent and comparable as x86-64 CPUs.

Irrelevant? AMD shocked people with how well Ryzen performed and it's still not beating Intel's CPUs.

pcpartpicker.com/product/Pjzv6h/rosewill-power-supply-capstone650m

Good PSU?

I wanna upgrade from my gtx 1060 3gb to something that can give high framerates on ultra settings for 1080p 144hz. What are some good gpus for this? Also I am patient enough to wait for the navi gpus

2060/2070

Irrelevant because AMD is going to be leading IPC, and on a better node, in a few months.
The two were around even, with AMD having better efficiency and multithreading and Intel better single threaded and lower memory latency, but it's going to be heavily in AMD's favor soon.

1660Ti, Vega56 on sale, or 2060. Wait for Navi though. Worst case is that other GPUs will be cheaper then.

Currently there are only 2-3 games which i cant run smoothly. Ill just wait till August then

What are some small mATX or ITX cases that can fit a decent tower cooler (~16 cm) and a big GPU air cooler (3 slots, ~27mm)?

Corsair 280X LOL

I wouldn't make claims until numbers are out though the rumors are very positive looking. I was torn between AMD and Intel when I upgraded a while ago but I wound up going with an 8700K. I hope that AMD does knock Intel around though as I want Intel to have a strong competitor and for AMD to get some cash.

If the new Ryzen chips wind up being as good as they look I'll be building a system based around it relatively quickly. I'm upgrading from my 1060 soon but would like to pop it in another machine so my fiancee can have a gaming PC.

Recommending a $500 GPU that's barely better than a $300 GPU for 1080 is retarded.

Thermaltake is better. Made in Japan.

>GPU power consumption is in no way comparable to a CPU power consumption
>in fact when often comparing CPU power to performance, is no way is it comparable to GPU power to performance
And what do you have to back up this insane, illogical opinion?
>they are different things XD
wow, truly your wit has me at a loss for words.
No really whats the logic here?

>Wait for Navi

For my first build ever should I do something future proof or moderate and affordable? Building for games.

For my first build ever should I do something future proof or moderate and affordable? Building for games.

That says 1660 not 1060. Big difference

>because dumb shill who thinks US prices, which over 50% of /pcbg/ builders are from, doesn't matter
You are retarded. OP is based on US prices

It depends on what kind of money you have available, if you'll actually play on it, and if it has any other use to you as a high end machine.

What do you define as 'moderate and affordable'? That varies person to person.

Looking for static pressure fans, but I dont know where to start. What should I pay attention to when looking for these?

I came across this one so far that I might buy.
amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00119A-P12-Black-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07GB5JRTZ

>latency of your world on your computer is the same as
>latency of other players effecting the world

Because perf/watt is one of the few measurements of CPUs.
They don't have shit like "10 years before finally adding full DX12 support" and "spyware drivers" like Nvidia GPUs to compare and contrast.

>Actually seems it'll be June or so. They've already made boards.
Fuck. Having to wait 2 months for prices to drop on last-gen hardware is the worst. It's just short enough that I feel impatient to get started, but just long enough that I know I can't buy a board or CPU.

>That says 1660 not 1060. Big difference
Yeah, but the 580 is way cheaper than the 1060 while performing better than the 570. It makes the perfect barely minimum for high@1080p and is totally worth the $40.

I would do something like this instead
pcpartpicker.com/list/XJ6hHh

1660 is even better than 590

Attached: relative-performance_2560-1440 (2).png (500x850, 50K)

There's no such thing as future proof. The biggest decision will relate to the monitor: do you want to pay 350-600USD for a 1440p 144Hz monitor, or do you want to pay 200-300USD for a 1080p 144Hz monitor? I would suggest the 1440p monitor, and a build to match; however, OLED (or an equivalent technology) isn't really out for monitors yet, and there's no word on when it will be. So I'd be torn between getting a cheaper 1080p monitor with a plan to upgrade when better 1440p or 4K monitors are out or just biting the bullet and getting 1440p now.

Whichever res you choose, I'd probably go with an RTX 2060 (for massive framerates on a 144Hz 1080p monitor or decent perf on a 1440p monitor). With that card at 1080p I'd buy an R5 2600X and at 1440p I'd buy an R5 2600

>this whole post
Who fucking cares? The 1660 has mostly superseded the 580. The only reason the 570 is still in the OP is that it's the best price/perf 1080p card

>You are retarded. OP is based on US prices
spammer who also posts the OP claims US prices don't matter when it comes to listing AMD GPUs

>nvidia powerup

580 have been $160-180 or so for a while plus the 2 games included.

>Because perf/watt is one of the few measurements of CPUs.
Okay, why, doesn't it apply to GPUS?
Explain to me how AMD GPUS which consume more power, and thus run hotter, and thus either need more expensive cooling or run louder driving up either the cost or quality of the product is not the same.
Explain to me how AMD GPUs which consume more power and thus need more power phases to deliver a stable current while not overloading/overheating the phases is not a problem as it leads to either using insufficient VRM components and phases which leads to coil whine, power loss, unstable boost, or more cost into actually making enough phases for the VRM.
Wont even mention the electricity bill meme.
Explain to me how it's not a problem.
Explain how one piece of silicon producing lot of heat while delivering LESS performance is completely fine when it's AMD GPU, but when another piece of silicone that delivers more performance but runs hotter is suddenly bad.
Explain this to me AMDfags. How can you apply logic to one thing, then completely turn around and say it doesn't matter at all when it's your precious AMD?

I never mentioned it.

Attached: 1553140971264.jpg (1920x1080, 359K)

yes that a very high quality one, even better than the T2 1600 watt by EVGA

Attached: oy very goy don't get nvidia they have RTX price to performance doesnt matter dont you know.jpg (1919x1079, 379K)

It does matter but there are way way more factors than perf/watt for GPUs

Anyone use a 2060 and overclocked it? What core/memory is optimal?

First time building a PC. What youtube video would you guys recommend I watch? I saw a good one a while ago posted in these threads but I lost it.

Thanks.

Not at all. I claim occasional sale prices don't matter, and also (mostly) included games don't matter. Obviously for people who catch those prices or really want those games, the promotions might make the cards worthwhile. That doesn't mean they're going to get listed in the OP. Cheapest RX 580 on PCpartpicker is $180 WITHOUT any free games

>nvidia powerup
Good to see you have no answer for any real data, shithead.

PCpartpicker link
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=439,391&sort=price&page=1

I have a GTX1070, and I want to upgrade to a 144hz monitor. Should I downgrade to 1080p 144hz instead of sticking with 1440p/144hz? Will I be able to pull of that res with that high of framerate in most of the new games?

Attached: 1546554895011.png (1144x772, 267K)

I watched two when I was building my first PC over the weekend too.

youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=1T2qmoKC8og&t=946s

Both are pretty good.

your eyes can't tell the difference between 144 and 60fps, just stick to 60 hz monitor at 1080p. In a blind test you won't be able to tell 1080p from 1440p.

Based.

Attached: 1549320724644.jpg (364x598, 44K)

Remove the blinders, friend.

I would get a 1440p 144Hz monitor if you can find one that you're happy with. The 1070 can use Freesync, so you don't have to worry about getting super high framerates

>1070 can use Freesync

Are you sure? Since when did those become compatible?

any 10, 16, or 20 series GPU can use freesync now.

>games included don't matter unless they're not included for RX580

why are there so many poorfags on this board?

>muh performance/dollar
>muh ayyemdee
>muh power consumption

like how can you guys no be able to afford to spend a few grand every few years on a computer? you're arguing about a hundred dollars difference on gpus that are already years outdated.

fucking poorfags shitting up my board baka.

As there are for CPUs. Perf/watt is only one of many factors for both CPUs and graphics cards

Stick with your current i7 (with a moderate OC)
Turing graphics cards can use Freesync (no reason to get G-Sync anymore)
Use your saved cash to get a 2080

>this greentext
I don't understand

Attached: Capture.png (1634x794, 231K)

So you just enable it in settings like you would for freesync, and it works? interesting

What's the best 1440p FreeSync monitor that works well with Nvidia cards? I know some had issues.

New Nvidia drivers.

>I know some had issues.
Marketing FUD. Any Freesync monitor that works well period (i.e., no flickering with AMD cards) will work well with Nvidia cards

How good/bad are ilyama screens? Is there any reason to go above 75 Hz?

In that case, what is any good 1440p FreeSync monitor with accurate color? It doesn't have to be perfect but I do some color work for videos/photos on the side and would like to have it be reasonably accurate.

What do you continously bring up the same "arguments" you've been BTFO on dozens of times?

Why do you spend all day in /pcbg/ arguing with people and never helping anyone with their builds if your memory is so bad that you can't even remember things from a previous thread, and often times can't even remember things from earlier in a thread?

Like right here, you're reposting that same graph that was proven to be wrong as you desperately tried to say (with no evidence) that it was peak and not average power cosnumption and that's why some numbers were demonstrably wrong.

The shill says the games included have no value and only price of card matters.
But then when an AMD card is cheaper still without the games included, he says that doesn't matter as well.

Any DECENT Freesync monitor should work.

So don't get the cheapest shit monitor out there.

Look for monitors with large variable refresh rate ranges and LFC.

I know I probably won't get an answer. But is it easier to replace parts in a prebuilt or just buy everything and start from there? I kinda don't want to throw out my current PC but a lot of it is outdated since I haven't gotten into PC building.

What are some good cases without glass window memes
I was thinking of a be quiet silent base 601 or a Corsair carbide 270r
I was going to consider fractal but their cases have a gross brushed look

>What do you continously bring up the same "arguments" you've been BTFO on dozens of times?
>Like right here, you're reposting that same graph that was proven to be wrong as you desperately tried to say (with no evidence)
I keep seeing a pattern here, you keep claiming things but with nothing to back it up.
Is this what you have been reduced to?

>I keep seeing a pattern here, you keep claiming things but with nothing to back it up.
No point in reposting the shit that BTFOs you when you 'll keep posting the same fake and out of context "benchmarks" like the one with the wrong Vega56 power consumption and who knows what else is wrong.

>No point in reposting the shit that BTFOs
Claim
>you when you
Claim
>posting the same fake and out of context "benchmarks"
Claim
>like the one with the wrong Vega56 power consumption and who knows what else is wrong.
Claim

Proof?

Attached: really makes you think.gif (177x177, 653K)

Proof was posted LITERALLY YESTERDAY

You're a troll who just spams and shits up pcbg

>gets asked for proof
>makes another claim
lel

Hi hello where is the ram?

Huh, I thought the 2700x was worse than this considering how many people swear on Intel being much better for gaymes. The only mediocre to bad one is Hitman, the rest are fine desu.

For what CPU and motherboard combo?

Does power consumption really matter that much? How much more money would you pay for 1000W if you play for 8 hours every day?

Ryzen 2200g, Asrock B450M.

Power consumption matters more in terms of cooling requirements and noise than it does in terms of your electricity bill.

Something 3000-3200mhz and CL14-18 (16 should be the best price point) is the ballpark.

You're the one who gets BTFO'd repeatedly

>when an AMD card is cheaper still without the games included, he says that doesn't matter as well
Not at all, fucking moron. user (probably you) said

>580 have been $160-180 or so for a while plus the 2 games included.
which is false, as proven by the rebuttal,

>Cheapest RX 580 on PCpartpicker is $180 WITHOUT any free games

>Does power consumption really matter that much?
Refer to this