Is "bloat" just a Jow Forums codeword for "I wasn't skilled enough to program this feature into my software so I'm...

Is "bloat" just a Jow Forums codeword for "I wasn't skilled enough to program this feature into my software so I'm going to pretend it's unnecessary"?

Attached: 1553203651728.jpg (1024x1012, 89K)

Nah. Bloat is more like “I wasn’t skilled enough to create a program that does what it’s intended to do perfectly, so I added all these unrelevant useless features to it that no one will use but it will look like as if my program can do a lots of things.” Or something along these lines, at least in my interpretation.

Yes but unironically

Cope from the featurelet.

No. Bloat is 800 lines of code for something you could've implemented in less than 40.

Attached: longcat.png (1126x10000, 1.45M)

Bloat is anything not necessary to the original task.

At some point you can ask whether that should be 2 programs instead of 1 ogre.

whats in u.h?

bloat is like when ubuntu used to bundle amazon search in its desktop environment

bloat is asking 'why cant my web browser play videos or do email' unironically

bloat is the antithesisof the unix philosophyof small, chainable programs that do one thing very well

>muh unix philosophy
Not an argument.

Meant to quote as well

bloat is why ive been compiling icecat for the last 16 hours and its not done yet.

fuck you, rust tool chain

>bloat is asking 'why cant my web browser play videos or do email' unironically
Imagine living in 2019 and not using a browser with webm support. Yikes!

the unix philosophy is where anti-bloat stems from. You can't talk about anti-bloat without mentioning the concept of unix and single purpose programs.

at what point do you stop adding features then

like should photoshop and firefox merge into one app that is like 100GB to install

why not bolton a web server while we're at it, and support for the gopher protocol in one whopper of a binary

im hoping bynow you see my point: one application with support for every possible use case is the antithesis of the unix philosophy

There is nothing to argue here. Just a definition of a word which is always the subjective choice of it's users.

Pic related.

Hey Pajeet. How's the weather in Mumbai?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-25-12-19-13-1.png (918x2125, 267K)

>i dont have an argument so I'll call him pajeet
Not an argument.

point me to anything you have actually coded op

oh wait you cant

because that would expose yourself

not only to the fact its feature incomplete, but it would mean your work would be open source, and i could add to it, and call YOUR ORIGINAL WORK featurelet :)

(nigger)
>implying "muh unix philosophy" is an argument
Give an argument to get an argument.

Attached: 1530853677995.gif (112x112, 20K)

photoshop edits photos.

it should not format or compress images.
it should not play music or try to manage files
it should not have a built in web browser

why not just compile the whole system into a single binary????

what part of the web is in video form exactly

but user...
"why not just compile the whole system into a single binary????" is the is the exact prerequisite for the unix philsopy

So you're going to pretend that webm doesn't exist?

Remember, if your browser can play the attached video, it's bloated according to the geniuses on Jow Forums!

Attached: 1551707845201.webm (720x404, 2.97M)

it totally exists but should it be sent over the hyper text transfer protocol

Attached: 2wwlr0.jpg (577x433, 44K)

is it really best viewed in a website browser? maybe they could invent a video player to play videos. idk just rambling here

bloat is inevitable in a market economy because devs always need to add more shit to their products to look more impressive than their competitors, regardless of whether or not the feature is warranted.

it is the predecessor, not the prerequisite.

A true unix philosopher will say that photoshop should be a collection of tools in separate binaries, each of which does exactly one thing to an image. Each of these tools should be accessible at the system interface to prevent a need for X. Use the framebuffer built into linux.

Linux, ironically, is a terrible kernel according to the raw unix philosophy, but you have to draw lines somewhere.

browsers can pipe video to a video player.
images can be piped to a image viewer.

http is bloat too, links can be parsed by the browser, no need for masking the url.

pardon me

without linux we wouldnt be here

no wonder gnu/linux is shit

what i was trying to say is that the tongue in cheek argument "well why not compile it all into a single binary" is perhaps predecessor to realizing the value of the unix philosophy

That's feature creep not bloat

Bloat is unnecessary features like line numbering in gnu cat or pocket inclusion in firefox. It also can be unnecessary code/abstractions like the javascript, css, html frameworks infestation in modern websites. Bloat is also fatties, they bloat.

Feature creep is the process that leads to bloat.

I don’t write programs man, I’m a network adminlet