Solus 4 Fortitude

Solus 4 Fortitude was just released the other day, so now that the dust has finally settled, I think it's safe to say that Solus is the best Linux distro. I installed it on my Thinkpad when it was released and liked it so much that I completely got rid of Windows 10 on my desktop (shocking, I know) and put Solus 4 Fortitude Budgie on it. It's so snappy and smooth, it looks absolutely amazing and has all the programs I use and games run fantastic on it. For those of you who don't know, Solus is a rolling release distro (similar to how Arch Linux is rolling release) not based on something (for example, Manjaro is based on Arch Linux or Ubuntu is based on Debian), but also has the stability of a release cycle type distro like Ubuntu. You won't have to worry about having to have a potential failed system upgrade when a new release is out or just reinstalling every couple of months because it just updates continuously, so one install and you're done, but you also don't have to risk having the instability that other rolling release distros are known for. Solus is extremely optimized and they are also the creators of the steam linux runtime to optimize gaming on Linux. Solus is for everyone, whether you're a beginner or a veteran, it'll fit right into your workflow.

website - getsol.us/home/
blog - getsol.us/2019/03/17/solus-4-released

Attached: image0.png (1920x1080, 964K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=373
linuxfromscratch.org/
discord.gg/BPxUHXj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that solid black theme looks like fucking ass, what are they thinking?

i can make arch look like that in 5 minutes

It will never function as well as Budgie on Solus because of how deeply integrated things are.
It's very simple to change the theme if you don't like the default.

Fuck off kevin

I love Solus, but I have to use gnome boxes to run a windows VM to use L2TP because the Solus version sucks balls.

Install Solus

reminder that previous version was 3.9999.

Because they had hit pretty much all but the last few major milestones to warrant a new major release, and it was just to update the current base packages in the iso.

Is this the dedicated shilling thread?

Attached: iM59R8m.png (359x538, 131K)

You mean I can get paid for this? Which one of you lads are getting paid for this?

fuck off kevin
literal discord tranny

yeah but what if you want GUHNOME 3?

You better think twice next time how to talk to me otherwise there won't be a next time.

Attached: emote.png (128x128, 29K)

There's a GNOME 3 iso in the repos and it's easy to install if you went with the budgie iso.

>using 6gb out of 8gb ram
no laptop will ever truly replace a desktop.

It's on my desktop. I need to upgrade my ram up eventually, just had a game running in the background so it ate up my ram more than normal.

yeah BUT does it beat sudo pacman -S gnome-shell???

sudo eopkg rm lightdm
sudo eopkg install gdm gnome-shell gnome-desktop-branding-fortitude

does it run mspaint?

sudo eopkg install whatever
sudo: Permission denied: You're a faggot

You can likely run it with wine appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=373

I find budgie uggo but at least it has night mode

user error

You don't *have* to use Budgie if you don't want to.

HAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: LMAO.png (177x179, 50K)

Just shut go eat some donuts fatty

kevin still exists?????????????????????

?

Attached: .png (400x400, 709K)

hows that solus terminal colorscheme called?

Kevin/SUcc this thumb nigga

Attached: kevin parnell thumb.png (408x612, 97K)

Wow, Kevin. Looking nice today!

Attached: meme loard.jpg (400x400, 36K)

still lack shittons of dev packages the ones named libsomething-dev in debian/ubuntu
I have to compile everything or to use non-optimized binaries.
I guess solus is ok for the average user but it's still not there for developers.

?
Classic
Kek
H*ck yeah, just been busy
Actually I'm down over 20 pounds now :)
I would recommend talking with the devs and making a request for things that are missing, they're pretty good about it.

Attached: me.jpg (2320x3088, 2.82M)

>It will never function as well as Budgie on Solus because of how deeply integrated things are.
spoken like a true macfaggot. you dont even know what the fuck you're talking about. There's nothing "integrated". It's all just configs.

linuxfromscratch.org/

faggot

Absolutely
reddit
tier
please
stop

Attached: kevin.jpg (899x900, 433K)

>Actually I'm down over 20 pounds now :)
Nice! Keep it up my man.

Feel free to try to get it to work just as well as it does on Solus, I'll wait.
Please stop posting
Thanks king, I am, the days I don't go down I at least maintain the weight instead of fluctuating.

hello kevin. didn't bother reading anything but I'm glad you're still alive

That's alright, and thanks, just been busy as of late.

I mean the whole appeal of most distros is to eliminate the need for that. You can set up and maintain any POSIX system to act the same way as another, but the whole point is to eliminate the need for that.
You could read the updating notes and do all the comparisons, etc. but what if someone else did it for you.

I prefer setting things up myself sometimes, but not all the time. My servers, for sure. My desktops with 8 gorillion different packages made by randoms who have no care about maintaining compat or stability, no thank you, I will entrust a maintainer.

Attached: 1552875161804.jpg (800x800, 102K)

This is probably why containers such as docker are becoming more and more popular

From my understanding docker is basically like a BSD jail with common expectations. In my own systems I use jails extensively because it's incredibly convenient and low cost.
I use the FreeBSD handbook configuration to end up with a single (read only) shared directory for the userland, and a home for each jails writable space.
With that I can create an entire new OS instance by copying a template directory which consists of a few etc files. So the disk cost is kilobytes and the memory overhead is nothing over native. You can just tar up the writable space and send them to another machine. So I can install and configure a web server, stop the jail, tar and send it to you, you untar it, start the jail, and the server is running in an isolated instance. You can give people root access to it without fear too.

If docker is like this then I get the appeal. But my understanding is that it's not as free in terms of resource usage, both disk and memory.
The concept is nice when done right though.

Docker has overall less functionality and options compared to jails, but is more straightforward to set up.

Okay, but why not gnome?

Back to your roots, huh. You still have a discord server? I remember joining it and contracting aids.

Attached: 1531606570777.jpg (286x378, 63K)

in which thinkpad are you running it?

>come to g hoping for a destep fred maybe microsoft is dum
>its another kevin thread

Agreed the new theme looks like shit.

But sudo eopkg install adapta-gtk-theme solved it

I'd insult you for paying for discord nitro and using discord & steam but you're the guy who's mantaining Jow Forums x now and that's pretty based.
oh, but don't you fucking dare get near my little sister

Fuck tripfags

#HNz=lf)JuB

was looking at the manjaro site the other day and they have a budgie build ready to be used.
I dont mind shilling but this thread is just attention fagging. Kill yourself.

Attached: manjaro-budgie-16443-5.jpg (1366x768, 74K)

>That music
My ears started bleeding just by imagining listening to that

Nice try, Kev

Attached: 1501801571273.jpg (1836x2295, 705K)

You can use GNOME as well if you please
Yes - discord.gg/BPxUHXj
I did it on my W530
It's OneeChan actually
Budgie on Manjaro is nowhere near as good as Budgie on Solus
Okay

but can run fortnite

Attached: fortnite dance.gif (931x682, 404K)

Kevin, why do you shill so hard? It's just sad.

I suck cocks for free

No, I charge a nickel

fuck off retard

Install Solus

test

Attached: 1429555792784.png (448x357, 3K)

We are all Kevin

lol

Kevin, the only Linux I’ve ever used was Ubuntu in 2010, should I install solus on my laptop? I fucking hate win 10

No, use W10. Solus is a meme.

How long to compute?

8 hours

hardware?

testan

why's it still on 4.20 fedora is already on 5

>can't mirror displays
Leeching off gnome was a mistake. Inb4 muh xrandr.

oh is this his tripcode or something

t. newfag
t. same person

Kevin is there a minimal iso with no DE/X11 installed?

Ikey is gone. Solus doesn't have a taste maker anymore. Its still the best Linux distro, but it only has a couple more years in it, unless Ikey comes back.