Will smoking weed help me be a better programmer?

I'm a CS freshman and one of my classmates says he smokes weed when he does his homework because it lets his mind think more freely and connect with the code better. Will doing this help me write better code and understand concepts better or is he just going to end up a burnout or something?

Attached: 420-Gallery.jpg (618x412, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/what-are-marijuanas-long-term-effects-brain
forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2015/02/10/new-study-shows-smoking-pot-permanently-lowers-iq/#79d685582f5b
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=marijuana IQ
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4318349/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on the person. It has different effects on different people.

It might help a bit, it might do nothing, it might make it harder. Just try it if you're curious.

We had this exact thread 3 months ago.
Who would use such weak pasta?

Microdosing LSD would have actual benefits.

drugs will hold you back from ever becoming truly great

Nigga, u need meth

>connect with the code
dude weed lmao

y'all cowards dont even smoke crack

No, you'll just forget where you are in the code, what you were just doing, and you'll be slower.

Not if you smoke so much all day long that it barely even affects you any longer.

Attached: 3245234522.jpg (649x528, 14K)

What do you mean?

I smoke pure THC oil when coding and it’s great, mostly because it makes me feel good. Sometimes you can get really trapped in a thought tunnel and it leads to some cool ideas. A few of those ideas have turned into personal projects that made me some money and most importantly, got me employed at a great company.

I don’t touch flower or CBD though, only THC.

This, drugs are for degenerates who are trying to escape life because of how weak willed they are.

Why no CBD?

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

/thread.

Fuck no, but it is nice as a reward for finishing up for the day when you got no shit left to get done. It does help to be a better plumber or carpenter though

Literally decreases IQ.

>will damaging my brain cells help improve my mental performance?

drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/what-are-marijuanas-long-term-effects-brain

It affects you, but it will take time to notice it.

If you can find any actual legit studies showing that weed actually has any negative effects I would be surprised.

Every person I've known who has started smoking weed has become stupid as fuck.

Ok but show me research it makes people stupid. Weed helps unlock the deepest parts of the mind and connect with nature.

You can literally fucking google it.
I'm not going to spoonfeed user for the 1000th time.

no way to tell until you try it.
my gf in college smoked weed all the time and she could code all day with no problems. whenever i tried to code while high, i couldn't get shit done.

my system hates weed, i don't understand how people can enjoy being high

>actual legit studies showing that weed actually has any negative effects
do you mean every study on weed ever performed?

forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2015/02/10/new-study-shows-smoking-pot-permanently-lowers-iq/#79d685582f5b
there user, now go rot your brain away and end up a burnout drug addicted retard.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=marijuana IQ
You faggot.

This one seems to think there is something up.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4318349/
>Over the long-term, adolescent cannabis use may be associated with a decline in intelligence quotient (IQ). A recent prospective study63 showed that regular cannabis use during adolescence was followed by a significant decline in IQ at age 38 years, as illustrated in Figure 1. This finding persisted after adjusting for use of alcohol or other drugs, comorbid mental illness, and educational level. Additionally, among adolescents users who later became abstinent, cessation was not associated with restoration of IQ in adulthood. These results are consistent with the possibility that cannabis impairs normal brain development during adolescence, and that heavy use may result in persistent and potentially non-reversible neurocognitive changes. A recent review53 compiled studies on changes in cognition, brain structure and brain function among adolescent cannabis users; its summary of studies demonstrating an association between earlier age of marijuana initiation and worsened outcomes is shown in Table 1.

Again, link one and i'll look into it

But links have been posted in this thread.

will drinking alcohol help me drive better?

These. Even after years of quitting you never really "bounce back" 100%. Different weed strains also have different effects and because it's an unregulated any of it can be laced with oxy/fentanyl/morphine. The short term effects mostly wear off but you'll always feel a little retarded and zone out often when trying to focus on boring stuff.

However it really depends on how much of the stuff you consume, it's somewhat similar to alcohol in the brain/psych damage it causes. I know ultra mega bongheads who's brains are so fried they stop mid sentence and ask to be reminded of the topic of the conversation multiple times.

t. ex-bonghead

AMA btw

Attached: 1439710441071.webm (408x303, 105K)

don't worry user there are plenty of tards living kickass lives
I with you best

>Several studies, including two large longitudinal studies, suggest that marijuana use can cause functional impairment in cognitive abilities

>A large longitudinal study in New Zealand found that persistent marijuana use disorder with frequent use starting in adolescence was associated with a loss of an average of 6 or up to 8 IQ points measured in mid-adulthood.

Fpbp

Anxiety. Not sure why but THC soothes my mind and makes my body all twitchy.

Oh, I forget that there is a good probability that you won't be able to handle long sentences. Let me retry:

>marijuana use can cause functional impairment in cognitive abilities

>associated with a loss of an average of 6 or up to 8 IQ points

In other words:
>"dude weed lmao" = stupider

OP, you are going into CS, so "stupider" is not really going to hurt you, but you would be better without weed.

I never went full bonghead but I did smoke many strains during my time in college. Also partied too much and smoked too much on the weekends though which eventually led me to dropping out. Now work in manual labor but kicked drugs completely. Hope I can stay sober long enough to move out.

sure, I suppose you also think that having a mental illness like autism gives you magical powers

Attached: 43f7034.png (469x469, 457K)

Have you even seen the Rain Man?

I love these images, it's almost like mega potheads made them. This one doesn't even have a device capable of 5G.

Attached: 07e3b-toxic2bemf-bmp.jpg (568x426, 52K)

new and improved meme

Attached: 1553648645202.2019-03-27 02_14_38.gif (408x302, 351K)

checked and saved

LMAO wut in the fuck is this, spear chuckers don't even have phones

Attached: Maori.jpg (1398x1080, 486K)

Just get high on life, bro.

In the new predator they said autism was the next link in the evolutionary chain

>Weed helps unlock the deepest parts of the mind and connect with nature.
duuuuude

I mean that as long as you're doing drugs, you will never become very good at anything, when compared to how good you could become if you didn't do any drugs.
I spent many years doing drugs while working at some big SV companies and while I thought I was advancing and developing as a programmer, I was really standing still. Now that I've been clean for almost a year, I can tell you that *for me*, clean programming is far far better of unclean.
I'm not here to preach though, just sharing my personal experience with this. I know you might not care about this now, but maybe some day you will.

Attached: 164810276-super-metroid-wallpapers.jpg (1024x640, 118K)

Depends how much you do them but once most people embrace them the attrition that ensues is unavoidable. Nobody who starts smoking pot or other drugs on a regular basis is ever going to be content with just lighting up a joint once a month, humans are greedy by nature.

I used to smoke weed and program and it was great until I only became interested in coding when I was stoned. Now I smoke a lot less but I still enjoy coding stoned.

What movie is this from?

Attached: Screenshot_20190326-221629_Clover.jpg (952x1907, 777K)

Uhhhh have you seen Limitless? Case closed.

/thread

it'll make you feel better about sucking

it helped me code, but in a different way.
it makes development of uninteresting / boring parts suck less
however i wouldnt recommend trying to debug or develop complex parts high, since you will forget where you were.

Do drugs == weed in your case?
Or booze / others?

Weed, booze and cocaine mostly. Occasionally MDMA and LSD. Usually at home but sometimes at work.

True Detective season 1

Based

checked

>CS is a meme degree
CS is arguably the hardest major ever. Its pure math and engineering on an easy day. Don't even get me started on a hard day. I've seen plenty mathlets and "allstar" physics and engineering students drop classes and leave crying because they couldn't hang with the intellectual elite. CS students are typically the intellectual titans.

No papers to back me up right now, but AFAIK weed messes up your hippocampus (which helps with short term memory) if you use it frequently while being young. If your anxious it might help you relax, but you can develop a bit of dependency on it if you abuse it.
Connecting and that stuff depends on your level of focus, so YMMV, there's a risk of becoming a burnout with or without drugs.

If you're anxious* hehe

maybe, or maybe he told you that so you would smoke week and do shitty work and he can get ahead of you in class and in life.

>weed laced with oxy/fentanyl/morphine
ok retard

Attached: .IMG_20170820_020415.jpg (1024x764, 121K)

Depends on the strain
I used to work with marijuana research so he would give me stuff that would help me focus when working with electronics and diy.
Some strains I got while in Vegas would make me all silly, some I'd hallucinate, so you gotta know what you're buying.
If you want hippie advice, try bee pollen from some local beekeeper. Don't get that health food store shit. It's snake oil.

Led Zeppellin disagrees

Attached: 1538539244108.jpg (750x919, 126K)

>shithead boomer disagrees

>laced weed
Yeah you know how drug dealers make money, putting the expensive drugs in the cheap drugs for free

It will probably do the opposite

Pink Floyd disagrees