/hsg/ Home Server General

/hsg/ Home Server General

>Why should I have a homeserver?
De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your firends feels good because service to others feels good. Put your Jow Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups, don’t let googlel/applel/microshaft botnet them.

>How should I get started?
NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Emby to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>Links
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index

previous thread

Attached: hsg.jpg (1277x1029, 510K)

Any bittorrent server that doesn't require constant babysitting like Rutorrnet+Rtorrent?
Possiblily something with a web interface

i use qbittorrent, has a webui

>70318094
>Can I ask what made you lean towards snapraid?
my intention is to use snapraided drives for storage and backup
i chose snapraid because fuck unraid and fuck paying for stuff and real raid is not a backup solution

Attached: 1525923805635.png (1092x1080, 662K)

Sauce on the original image? For research purposes

sonarr, radarr, jackett.
enter to check on things once a week

s-sauce

transmission, unironically. I was against it for a while until I realized how beneficial it is to keep shit simple. Just werks™

Attached: 1529498793232.png (394x107, 5K)

>snapraided
wtf snapraid seems too good to be true.
what's the catch?

WHERE IS THE FUCKING SAUCE?

not real-time parity, i guess
you need to manually do a sync to update parities, but it seems pretty simple to set up a cron job to do so every now and again

This is a good thread
Keep up lads
Currently have a rpi with nextcloud.
Any option for remote file access? Had a samba share open to the internet but that was just about the stupidest thing ever. Any (sane) alternative?

Anyone got experience with passive cooling?
I got a 4U 365mm 19" case, top and bottom panels are "ventilated" basically a lot of cutouts to let air circulate. I am planing on building a pretty large pfsense box with it. I think natural circulation wouldn't be enough even with a low power embedded chip and 2x Quad Port Intel NICs right?

Oh that's no problem.
>Any option for remote file access?
(s)ftp

is it a good idea to run docker containers for everything that i want to do with my server?
say i want to run two separate transmission instances, one for public trackers and one for private trackers, is it a good idea to create docker containers with transmission and openvpn?
is this how its supposed to work? i started reading about docker for the first time 5 minutes ago

sftp maybe, i just literally configured a samba share on my server and considering replacing it with something else later

>Oh that's no problem.
then i dont really have any complaints about snapraid, it was easy to set up and seems easy enough to use and a sane foss backup solution
i pooled my disks with mergerfs as well so theres that as well

Attached: 1550554456683.jpg (664x703, 39K)

The Momoyuri Academy Secret Soapland Club R

That was pretty obvious, but I didn't even consider it. Thanks.

Also, if someone doesn't mind answering, in a scale from 0 to "your files are in a torrent somewhere", how fucked am I if someone found out my smb share? Local user required obviously, but since it's notoriously a POS in terms of security it would not surprise me if any script kiddie could have gotten hold of it by running a port scan.

Remember children. ALWAYS use UFW+fail2ban on your server.

I use docker containers for EVERYTHING. It's just so convenient. In case of server migration just copy volumes and docker-compose folders and that's it. However be prepared to fuck around with UFW since docker messes with iptables for port binding.

>how fucked am I if someone found out my smb share?
I wouldn't worry so much. Most likely no one bothered

I hope so. But looking at UFW's logs had me quite bothered. Motherfuckers port scan 24/7 holy shit.

Isn't the smb config option of only allowing connections from your own subnet sufficient?

it seems really handy, how lightweight are docker containers really though?

Attached: 2019-03-27-210020_625x283_scrot.png (625x283, 28K)

A program to run programs can't be lightweight.

So I have been using a Inel NUC7i7BNH as a Plex Server, i can do ranscoding but the thing does like to overheat at times.

Are here any small footprint devices hat are designed to be servers or used for high speed video transcodes?

How much should I stuff my Raspberry Pi 3 b+ with? Am I able to host plex, web server and Pi-hole and other services on it without any trouble or should I just try and see if its too much for the little guy

> use UFW
Another iptables frontend. nftables were invented and went down already, no point in learning another netfilter/conntrack "not-invented-here" utility. Let's wait until something entirely new and widely accepted, like systemd or ip utility, that would be something worth using. Unless there's an agreement between Canonical, Debian foundation and RH, I'll stick with iptables.

it's lightweight enough on a 2gb vps, maybe it's a concern on rpis but not too much... the problem is finding/writing the pi version of the image.
I'd say it's harder on the hdd usage than memory/cpu overhead. It can create a problem on a vps with only ~20gb.

unironically the Mac mini is a screamer. Small footprint, very low power usage, but can be spec'd up to beastly proportions. NUCs are limited by core count, unless intel has released some 6 cores recently?

you can host all of that, but you will be severely limited by the shared usb host for the ethernet jack. Yes you can host all that stuff, but not for many users (like one plex client, with no transcodes). Try it out and see if it fits your needs.

And for OP of the thread, you sir are based. Thanks for using the copypasta and keeping these threads alive. /hsg/ is the comfiest place on Jow Forums

transmission

I also use qBittorrent. There's a docker container that supports OpenVPN so mine runs exclusively through my VPN and is web interface only. Took a few hours to set up as I'd never had a VPN before but now it's perfect for all my needs.

author is 焔すばる (Homura Subaru)

sshfs requires little to no config

Are there any downsides to sshfs? I’ve only ever used it on WiFi pineapples and other lowspec devices.

not that I encountered, maybe CPU usage is a bit higher as the rpi is pretty weak. give it a test.

The only downside is that you spend encryption time despite transmitting over a channel that is inherently secure (assuming you use WPA2 or ethernet). This can slow down your transfer speed significantly.
I'm not sure if sshfs has a "no encryption" setting but maybe look into that.

If a reality-critical platform must be launched today, and I believe it must, then let that platform be time travel.

Freedom is not having to believe in future technology.

Sorry for derailing this thread if that ends up being the effect here.

To unlock a timeline where I am forced to fully unpack my beliefs to an anonymous audience, please ask me to move this to a new thread.

Is Windows 2000 Server worth getting (for free)? I’m getting into several hobbies including retro PCs, ham radio and coding so I was thinking of making retro themed tower build using a repurposed case and new internals. I was going to add various PCI card connectors for older digital radio modes while using W2K as the main OS so I can fiddle around with 8, 16, 32, and 64 bit programming languages on separate partitions.

Hey I have an old Dell power edge with 2, 4 socket MB's and 4 opterons 16 core 2.3 GHz 64gb ddr3 , servers really aren't my thing so can some one tell me if this hardware is still good by today's standards in a power/performance way and if so would it be worth to get more cpus and ram to get it fully operational?

uTorrent

stop being a fag and just get a Xeon-d instead

stop being a fag and just a KMS emulator and Server 2019

its absolute horse shit by todays standards

Is it really that bad ? Is there any practical uses for it would it make a good render farm ?

Getting ready to put my 3rd Freenas Server into production. Gonna replace my old windows media server/torrent/client pc backup box with a newly built Freenas box that runs plex and transmission.

Testing it out now, found one gotcha; plex hates .flv files. Streaming software (Serviio) on old box didn't care, it'd play .flv no problems. So it seems I'm gonna have to convert the .flv media to .mp4 to get plex to play them right. Lucky the .flv media files is very small number.

It would make a good space heater in the winter if electricity is cheap around you. Thats about it.