Are Cathode Ray Tube monitors peak technology?

are Cathode Ray Tube monitors peak technology?

Attached: 1553378138382.jpg (2284x1377, 294K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, but they're miracle boxes for low resolution content.

>tfw I got rid of all my CRTs 10 years ago and I now regret it

This is really it.

dark souls poster in back
omegarofl

Replaced the tripler, still no luck. The flyback looks a bit toasty too...

Attached: IMG_20190312_115211.jpg (4032x3024, 2.83M)

Attached: e9918960629ee3ae.jpg (1109x1478, 225K)

>monitors
>posts a TV set

Attached: db2c695a6964b6f0.jpg (1109x1478, 242K)

Typical european gear from the time. Just rots and falls apart with time.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a yuro and most of my hi-fi gear is from Grundig, but holy fuck did European companies from back in the day make some shit components. Arcing flybacks(Philips), leaky/exploding capacitors (Philips, RDE, RIFA) and transistors that fail short and blow everything in their signal path.
This is quite the example.

All the caps look fine, but do you think its worth me replacing all the transistors before I power it on again with a new flyback?

I've got the maintenance manual so I know what goes where.

Attached: photo_2019-03-28_21-44-59.jpg (960x1280, 136K)

>All the caps look fine
They might look fine, but they're probably leaking current and/or have a horribly high ESR.
>do you think its worth me replacing all the transistors
Depends. If they're silicon and you've tested them good, you can probably leave them in place. If they're germanium, do definitely replace them.
What's the issue, anyways? Do you get HV? Are the h/v oscillators running?

Some of the HV side appears to be working, I can hear a high frequency whine for about two seconds before it fades out, its not constant like a functional CRT. I don't think the tube is being energised at all, not a single crack when I went to discharge the thing after testing it.

Doesn’t need a special chip for anti-aliasing.

The whine is comes from the flyback which is a good sign, maybe the overvoltage/x-ray protection circuit is being tripped

oldschool HV meters are pennies on ebay, there's really no excuse for guesswork.

Attached: high-voltage-meter-probe-picture.jpg (1278x640, 36K)

Thanks, I'll grab one.
I'll be picking up a second Microvitec monitor once this one is fixed for an Acorn Electron, this one is for a 128k Spectrum.

Pulled this lovely 100 Hz Grundig Cinaro of a dumpster a few weeks ago, it's one of the last upmarket CRTs they made. Whoever owned this set barely ever used it, it's practically brand new, it wasn't even dusty inside.

Attached: crttv.jpg (1500x1000, 604K)

I'll stick with my OLED thanks

Attached: IMG_20181228_201138-2320x1740.jpg (2320x1740, 407K)

enjoy your 3 year lifespan
>inb4 I own it since 1994

I've had it for like 4 years and have never had an issue. Things tend to last when you take care of them.

Attached: IMG_20190101_095331-2320x1740.jpg (2320x1740, 619K)

I'd tell you a long story about yellowing and burn-in but I'm just gonna let you experience it yourself while I lay back and laugh at you.

Enjoy your inferior products then. OLED is the gold standard in picture quality, and this TV will still last me 10 years.
By that point I'll want a glorious roll up OLED

Attached: lg-rollable-oled-tv.jpg (782x346, 48K)

OK now I know you don't know shit, I just suspected it before.
Have a nice life bro

Attached: fbadvibes.jpg (500x346, 43K)

look at this retard and laugh.

Do you take care of your cognitive dissonance as well?

>I'm going to tell you all about this product that I don't own and will never be able to afford
Keep crying poorfag

Attached: BF0EAD3940444B028FFE414DC74FA63B.jpg (2234x1801, 337K)

>being poor AND mad

Btw, for all you people out there, the only reason for having a CRT is so thieves don't break into your weekend cottage/house.

>Defending your shitty choices this hard

cope

Care to explain why an OLED is a shitty choice?

OLEDbabbys are as bad as iToddlers, case in point

Amazing, you can see even just from that photo that it has more ghosting than a CRT.

OLEDs degrade from normal use regardless of care.

crt

Attached: IMG_1806.jpg (1242x1648, 88K)

It shows signs of burn-in way too soon for how expensive it is. If it was cheap this would be excusable.

Which model is it?

I'm pretty bored, so I'm actually gonna argue with you.
If you seriously think that technology old 20+ years, low resolution, and fucking heavy is better than a modern, thin, lightweight, large and a sexy piece of kit, that might if not cared for burn-in soon~ish (CRTs burn in too btw)...
Well I hope you get what I was trying to convey (but you probably won't)

Is a 1080p CRT theoretically possible? How much would it weigh?

I don't care about CRTs, but anyone shilling OLED as a flaw-free display tech is full of shit.

Long-life phosphors are my fetish.

Attached: lain.jpg (6000x4000, 1.93M)

Goes to show you don't know anything about OLED. They don't ghost like that, it's obviously the camera that can't keep up

A lot.

The fuck do you mean "well cared for" retard, you watch your OLELD tv 1 hour every other day, with intensity set below half? Great tech you shill faggot.

It's currently the best one available for reasonable amounts of money. (consumer microLEDs are still a few years away)
The only problem is the blue subpixels degrading a lot faster than others, which causes burn-in after a few years. And it isn't going to be noticeable, if you watch a lot of varied content.
Just google the rtings oled test.

Possible, and exists. It's just heavy and expensive.

FW-900 was 1200p and that thing was a complete tank.

I mean you don't watch CNN (or other video with static content) full brightness 24/7.
Google rtings oled test.

>muh spinning rust
>muh roentgen radiators
>muh transistor-free setup

Attached: 8bitboomer applelfaggot.png (489x429, 43K)

LMAO you have to literally be careful what you watch

Talk about being cucked by your tech

>FW900
I would get one but they sell for more than a reasonably high end PC

>2000+19
>the colors on the last CRT you had were still better than the colors on your modern and overpriced TN

>What do you mean I can't abuse my sport car? Why does it need more maintenance than a Camry, I paid a lot of money for this!

>old 20+ years
OLD BAD
NEW GOOD
>low resolution
There are CRTs with dot pitches equivalent to modern OLED/LCD pixel densities.
>thin
Ah yes, because the part of the display you want to look at is the back.
>lightweight
I, too, carry my monitors/TVs everywhere I go. Why settle with a laptop display?
>large
There are 40" CRTs, though they realistically topped at 32" or so. That's your only good point.
>sexy
See pic. There are (very) sexy CRTs.
>(CRTs burn in too btw)
Every. Single. Fucking. Time.
CRT burn-in is different from OLED burn-in. OLED burn-in just happens inevitably with use, as it is caused by the degradation of the organic components of the display. It is not avoidable. CRT burn-in on modern tubes (Anything later than 1970 or so) happens only when static images are displayed on the tube for extremely long periods of time (In the order of months without turning off), and it is caused by an overheating of the phosphor elements, hence the name "burn-in". It does not happen with normal use.
Most late 4:3 high-end CRT monitors could do 2560x1600 without a problem. They were very heavy, though.
Try 2304x1440. Though the FW900 is not the holy grail of CRTs everyone thinks it is. The gamma being fucking awful on it, the support wires being more visible than on DiamondTron tubes, and many other things make it just a meme that went too far, just like the Model M, the AT101 or the Sansa Clip.

Attached: avant_8-crt.jpg (800x600, 37K)

>They were very heavy, though
for you

If I watch an OLED set for longer than 1h at a time, will it die?

>Most late 4:3 high-end CRT monitors could do 2560x1600 without a problem
Meant 1920x1440. Had a brain fart there. Sorry.

Do you really think that if CRTs were end all for TV technologies companies with much smarter and more capable people than you, would've invested exorbitant amounts of money into research?
You do understand that you don't live in a vacuum, right? Soon~ish CRTs will fail, and no new ones are produced so it doesn't make that much sense trying to get another when the one you are using inevitably fails.

Redpill me on CRTs please. What are even the advantages of them? A quick search tells me that they are shit for your eyes, consume a lot of power and the only thing they have going for them is less input lag, not to mention these shits are fucking huge.

>Advantages
High end ones has slightly better picture quality than shitty LCDs and far worse quality compares to OLED
>Disadvantages
Who would want a tv that you need a fucking truck to get it from the store to your home?

Is that one of those rare PALPlus TVs?
Or a 1080i one?

All these lies about OLEDs
It seems samsung went full on leftist fake news on them
They tried to make them as bad as plasmas.
I own both a 10 year old plasma AND a 2 year old OLED, never had burns, just slight temporary image retention on the plasma.
I really don't get the hate. I'd hate more having to deal with gray blacks and washed out colors.

Attached: 1490888128826.jpg (750x750, 49K)

What is the thinkpad of CRTs? I'd like a small one but a lot of the enthusiasm around CRTs causes the cost of good ones to skyrocket

the internet ruined the CRT experience for me
when I was a kid
>plug snes, put channel 3 or video 1, play, enjoy
now
>remove overscan
>wtf the geometry is fucked up
>play around with the service menu
>this snes sucks, get the 1chip, rgb mod
>rgb mod you tv too
>get a 240p downscaler
>etc

I've spent like $2000 on my "retro setup", that started with a $30 trinitron

Attached: 1512076371496.jpg (1080x814, 57K)

First of all:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display
Second:
Do you really think those people, being so smart, would choose to keep making displays that lasted for decades, making people not upgrade and thus not getting any profit from them, rather than shit out a display technology that is WAY cheaper to produce, renders itself obsolete in less than eight years' time, and can reliably be made to break in a shorter period without any possibility of repair?
Do you really think the fact that the only current display technology with display quality near that of CRT also happens to be the quickest to degrade is merely a coincidence?
The goal of these "much smarter and more capable" people is to maximize profits, not to make better products.
>advantages
High-end ones have better colors and better contrast than anything but OLED
They don't degrade as quickly as any other display technology, including CCFL and LED LCDs
They used to be cheaper for equivalent specs, though zoomers are slowly but surely killing this advantage.
Zero input lag on models that don't do upscaling/line doubling.
>they are shit for your eyes
Shit CRTs will absolutely destroy your eyes due to the flicker. 85Hz+ is a must. Current shit LCDs will also fuck up your eyes due to blue light cancer and PWM backlight flicker.
>consume a lot of power
Not really that much. They use about 10% more power per screen area than CCFL LCDs, which is the only other display technology you should be using.
The FW900. It got memed out of proportion. If you actually want the absolute best for cheap, you should go for monitors with DiamondTron tubes. Some lesser known brands equipped their displays with these, which ones is up to you to find out.
>People still believe the 1chip thing
>Apparently no one has bothered to feed their 2chip with a better PSU with more smoothing after the rectifier
>rgb mod you tv too
Oh wait, you're just American.

not US american, and I didn't mod the TV, I'm afraid of getting shocked.
I just bought some RGB to component adapters.

>not US american
My apologies then. Now I feel sorry for you, having to stand all their shit "standards" constantly being forced onto you.

Now, you see, supply and demand is a thing.
See this for exorbitant amounts of money and no profits. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc
Also scalability and mass production.

I miss my Sony 32" flat 100hz TV. it looked genuinely amazing. The secret sauce was the ccfl lights they stuck in (yeah like back lit Lcd) so you had really low input lag, high refresh rate and hi resolution 1280*720 HD via component. And it was eye poppingly bright compared to its crt competition

They are free, I got a working 17" monitor for free.

>>only 60hz
Nigga my flat crt TV is 100hz and accepts HD.

>Now, you see, supply and demand is a thing.
Quite clearly, seeing current CRT (and old computer gear) prices. Didn't say otherwise.
What does CED have to do with "exorbitant amounts of money and no profits"? It was a system designed from the ground-up to use existing record pressing plants and cheap materials, thus maximizing profits. It didn't take off, but not making profit wasn't the goal of the format at all.
>Also scalability and mass production.
But that has nothing to do with LCD being cheaper to produce. The manufacturing costs of LCDs probably matched the ones of CRTs back in 2005-2006, when they really started taking over.
The real advantage in terms of production cost for LCDs vs. CRTs is in the material costs. LCDs are just a bunch of plastic and fiberglass, with a little bit of silicon and copper sprinkled on. Meanwhile, CRTs needed shitloads of glass, copper (mostly for the flyback transformer) and other metals (for the shadow mask or the aperture grille).

Don't forget shipping cost.....crts were heavy as fuck and the boxes were huge

Jesus dude. SNES 9x > add scan lines > 2x super sampling. Plug in xbox controller. Enjoy. It's better than original and you don't pummel your eyeballs with alpha and beta radiation and 60hz flicker. Pic related Yoshis Island on a 42"

Attached: IMG-20151113-WA0002.jpg (4128x2322, 1.02M)

>It's better than original
Yeah nah.
Pic related Yoshi's Island on a 17"

Attached: IMG_20150821_003806.jpg (2560x1920, 1.8M)

As much as I hate silver plastic, I have to say that looks pretty good. Nice find, user.

CRTs were really killed off because they would never pass any RoHS compliance (They require a ton of dense, heavy metals in their construction).

>he can't afford a $2k TV once every 6 years
Poorfags

Attached: 1543016542207.jpg (378x378, 19K)

>Though the FW900 is not the holy grail of CRTs everyone thinks it is.
To be fair, it's the holy grail of widescreen CRTs. The FW900 is the most versatile of its class and all the alternative options are either inferior or cost orders of magnitudes more.

I myself am more partial to presentation monitors, but that's more for /v/ than PC purposes.

>Shit CRTs will absolutely destroy your eyes due to the flicker. 85Hz+ is a must. Current shit LCDs will also fuck up your eyes due to blue light cancer and PWM backlight flicker.
tfw i use my CRT at 50Hz to prevent burn in and my eyes are still completely fine

Attached: thought process of the low iq.png (361x281, 8K)

Brainlet people act exactly like a intel branch predictor.
If there are more hits than misses, they assume it will be a hit every time, because they will be right most of the time.
And in most cases nowadays Old thing > new thing

>And in most cases nowadays Old thing > new thing
see

You should learn how to understand the implications better.
(Most old good > Most new bad) != (All old good > All new bad)
Brainlets do the second thought because in most cases its true.

The brainy thing is to just judge things by individual basis, as we're not intel CPUs and can actually do it.

>tfw autism let's me keep everything

Anyone have/tried using 1080p CRTs?

>A quick search
This is how I know you're a dumb fucking zoomer with no context or even concept of the godlike improvements CRTs have over everything else

>Using CRTs in 2019

It's pure nostalgia at this point. Better displays exist... But not if you get something like a dell P1230 for $15 locally

so there are monitors that can scale very well, that flicker, and have no input lag out there now that arent CRTs?

Explain the shoes while in bed.

Shoes hanging off the edge of the bed. Indoor shoes only. Only posed like that long enough to take picture. I'm a degenerate boomer sure but not a shoe on bed degenerate I swear on me mum

Shoes hanging off the edge of the bed. Indoor shoes only. Only posed like that long enough to take picture. I'm a degenerate boomer sure but not a shoe on bed degenerate I swear on me mum

>full 4 years
Whoa dude, I got a shitty LCD from 10 years ago used almost daily still working properly. Could you say the same about your overpriced garbage ?

>shoes indoors
>ever
For what fucking purpose

Still got my flagship Sammy plasma from ten years ago. Still looks great with deep inky blacks.

Thanks to all you dirty hippies in SV who lobbied for TVs to have energy efficiency standards and made the PROVEN tech unprofitable.

Really appreciate filling all our landfills with $500 TN panel LCD shit TVs as a substitute. Way to save the planet.

Attached: images (1).jpg (275x183, 9K)

>indoor shoes
still disgusting

nice ghosting

>ghosting
jesus
wave a hand in front your camera when taking a picture, retard

lmao my electronics teacher taught me to forget about high voltage testing and just tap capacitors with a screwdriver and rubber gloves. Miss you Mr Matthews but also I turned out to be a tranny so he can fuck himself for all i care.

They feel horrid and flickery on interlaced sources, but are excellent for the lower res progressive modes