Summer heat is right around the corner. How are you planning to deal with it...

Summer heat is right around the corner. How are you planning to deal with it? What do you think about portable air conditioners? Are they as good window units? Anyone have any experience with mini splits?

Attached: 163191-2.jpg (500x500, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ha2mrHucmYc
youtube.com/watch?v=4j_UjIshzMc&t=23s&disable_polymer=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

work blasts the AC in the summer to the point where I actually need to bring a sweater despite it being 100+degrees outside

I just open my window and have my box fan blowing out.

I bought a Toyotomi portable unit in January (southern hemisphere summer) and it's really good, the only downside is that's low as fuck.

I have a portable 5000 BTU aircon it's cool as fuck but also super loud. I turn it on when I go to sleep but otherwise I'd rather just endure the heat.

I bought a portable unit last year. It works, I hate heat so much, but with that unit it is really very comfortable.
The problem is, that it's a bit lud, but it's much better than the heat imo.
Protip: use active noice canceling headphones if you have them.

>loud
lud
Is it really that bad? Did you buy cheaper ones? I would figure the more expensive ones would not have this issue.

It wasn't very cheap, I don't remember the price but from the models on Amazon it was one of the more expensive.

You can definitelly hear it, it's almost like a small vacuum cleaner. Other people I know who bought portable ACs also say it's not quiet.

I plan to have one installed in my small room.
Wondering which brand I should go for

Lol at places too poor for central air

same here. And have triple layers in winter. Better than sweating balls off i guess

Expect them to be loud if they're portable. Split ACs are quieter because the compressor is outside home.

I can't wait for the summer heat, I'm sick of having to wear thick wool socks and two pairs of sweatpants under my jeans just to sit in my fucking chair

I've got a mitsubishi mini-split identical to the ones in OP's pic

Its pretty dope, actually. I've been impressed so far. It rarely goes above 90f here so Its not working super super hard, but my single unit is enough to keep my 1100sq.ft apartment warm and cool. I've got a bedroom, large living room with an open kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room. As long as I leave my interior doors open the whole place stays very comfortable with just one minisplit unit.

I have a window-mount swamp cooler. The house I'm renting has shit insulation so central air costs as much as my rent does.

why is mini split dead in the USA?

My workplace also blasts the AC, but since we have very poor insulation, it's still hot as fuck in there. Maybe this year, I can convince my bosses to let me paint the roof white.

>What do you think about portable air conditioners?
I wanted to get one, but I ended up getting cheap ass split, and making some environmentalist going bananas by releasing some R410A into the air.
Now I'm 100% sure that I will need an aircon due to global warming some 20g of freon had caused

Because they have windows, which are made for window aircons, which are better that splits, since there are no flare connections, which can be fucked up by installer.

>which are better that splits
i can't hear you over all that aircon noise

Hola!

Indeed.
But you can't beat factory brazed joints with exact amount of freon.

the ol reliable.

Attached: 61Zolmis6WL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 14K)

And yeah, it is insanely good heater. 2.5 kW of heat, when you pay only for 0,7kW is super good.

I wouldn't say dead, I would say just starting out.

Many people in the US have never heard of a mini split, I'm the first American I've ever known to have one, but I get asked frequently by my friends if its any good, because they're considering getting one too.

Its a trend thats picking up. They really are more efficient than window AC's, and are damn quiet. Not sure if its more or less efficient than central air but I've got NO complaints at all with mine.

>temperate rainforest summer
>105F outside/95F at night
>98F inside/90F at night
>95% humidity/100% at night

This is what I do. This right here.

Attached: ice bucket feet.jpg (600x447, 20K)

AC installers mark up installation of ductless systems to hell and back

mini split manufacturers should just hire people as employees to do the install

Btw, here is the guide on how to install non-diy mini-split yourself without tools.
Note: Use this method at your own risk, since moisture might kill compressor. So, better use it only for cheap units

>Make all holes required in wall, hang indoor unit, hang outdoor unit, connect wiring
>Route the copper pipes.
Note: They are kinked very easily, especially gas (suction) pipe. Use pipe bender, don't do my mistakes.
>Take some oil (compressor oil is preferable, but engine oil will do), cover flares in thin layer of oil (back side too), cover threads in oil.
>Hand tighten nuts, snug them with wrenches. Don't go full retard, otherwise you will have leak.
>Open service schrader valve (it is usually on gas port)
>Open liquid line valve 1/4 turn with allen wrenches.
Note: some freon will purge lines and coil from moist air. Keep in mind, that low freon charge is better, than moisture.
>After 5-10 second close the schrader vavle, and then close liquid line vavle
>Check for leaks with soapy water, tighten if it leaks. If it doesn't stop - game over, call professional HVAC.
>Open both valve fully (gas and liquid) with allen wrenches.
>Turn on air conditioner to test it.
Done.

If you can get vacuum pump - use it. It will make sure there is no water in system.

I've got a mini split installed in my condo. It was an option from the builder, and I'm fucking glad I took it. It wasn't cheap (only option I spent more on was upgrading the flooring throughout the entire unit), but it's gotten a lot of use over the last few years.

>They really are more efficient than window AC's,
They have same internals, as cheap split.
Same non-inverter piece of shit.
>Not sure if its more or less efficient than central air but I've got NO complaints at all with mine.
It is more kosher, since you run it only in room you are, but central air heats/cools entire building.
Why would you need AC in toilet, for ex?

>Why would you need AC in toilet, for ex?
You ever take a really, really big shit? The kind that gets you grunting and groaning and straining to push it out? Or how about the kind of diarrhea that makes you feel sick to your stomach, with last night's spicy food added in as an extra "fuck you"? That shit will make you sweat, and in those moments, you'll swear the central a/c was worth every penny.

You know that holes, when heated are expanding?
This is why AC in looroom is not needed.

How does multi-split work?
How does freon know where it should flow?

Oh so that's what mini splits are.
It's the most common type here. I'm considering one too, not sure if I should spend extra for that Panasonic.

No AC, Heater all summer/winter, 100 pushups/situps/squats, 10km run Every Single Day.

Don't forget the banana.

Hell no, I like having hair.

>facility I work in generated 100 million last year
>still so fucking hot it causes the machines to spaz out
Fucking corporate overlords, you don't have to worry about the wagies but please think about the machines.

Was thinking of getting one of these babes (Stadler Form Peter tower fan).

Not sure if they suck or not.

Attached: j5q1xjlw.jpg (2000x2000, 161K)

Portable AC are basically shit.
I'm setting up to install my own soon.
There DIY kits that bypass the need for an HVAC guy.

I have a Mitsubishi mini split system (newly Installed last year).

I was super skeptical, but they totally surpassed my expectations. Do it if you can’t get ducted/you plan on staying in the house for a while.

The only maintenance item you really have to do is vacuum or wash the filters once a month. Vacuuming does just fine, washing is more of a deep clean sort of thing.

3 local companies here in Tacoma WA quoted me $4,000-$6,000 for a single zone mini split.
The higher end units are only $1,800
So they basically want $700 an hour for a 6 hour install.
Fuck that, I'm ordering the DIY ones and avoiding that shit.
An idiot can install one of these.

The building I live in was built the 40s when 30°C days where a in exception, not the norm from December to March. It used to snow frequently around June-July too, and both the living room and my master bedroom have provisions for a chimney, but nowadays it rarely snows a couple of days a year.

It was 5k here in oregon for my mini split. 2 zones, LG. It's not the labor. That $1800 is for the head unit, you still have to buy a freaking heat pump.

I have HVAC, good insulation, a billion pane window, and a cold jewish heart. OTOH I'm paying $2200/m for 900ft^2 so I'm still a fucking cuck!

henlo fellow Tacoman

Not the same poster, but damn... really? $1800 seems like a lot for a unit with a condenser and a fan with some circuitry to control it.

What are you, a woman?

$1,800 was for the entire unit. Although they are more expensive ones.
I feel like HVAC guys are just ripping people off.

I had to do this when i was an intern, we had to sit in the server room cuz there was no where else for us. cold as fuck in there.

>I feel like HVAC guys are just ripping people off.
They want to eat too.
Better getting EPA loicense and installing yourself for some $50-$200.

What the FUCK is it made of gold or something?
It shouldn't cost any more than $800 for even the higher powered models.

that in romania costs $80 and they're done in 4h with drilling holes in masonry walls.

Cold beer

I sweat. Fuck air conditioners.

Nope, just had summer.

I live in NYC where half the buildings are 100 years old because it's impossible to get a buildings permit. Not only do I not have central air, I don't have grounded outlets and only one electrical outlet per room.

Ballsy they'd let interns with in the server room.

Should I fall for the inverter meme?

Depends. They have much better than temperature control. (More precise).
Efficiency, on the other had, mainly depends on metering device.
Most cheap mini splits will have capillary tube. More expensive would have electric valve, which is much more efficient.

4000 bucks?
I'm fucking moving to us now and starting my own mini split business

I going to buy a portable one. I live in a 25m2 apartment, it should be enough. I have motorized ventilation that can be used at night or on cool days.
My neighbour is a mason, I asked him to "drill" a large hole in the wall for a permanent exhaust.

i was smart enough to do an underfloor piping for a geothermal exchanger

the house in the winter is constantly at 12 to 14c
and at summer 20-24c

and that is purely by using the small pump a 12watt thingy that just gets used to send the water to the first floor and gravity takes the rest

if i use the heat exchanger the power shoots up to 500watts

Just why? Window AC allows for kosher heating.
Mini split requires just 6 cm hole

Portable is a meme, since compressor is in your room, not even in the window

I have a mini split installed in my office/computer room. It works very well, is quiet and it doesn't use much power, around ~150W once it reaches target temperature (which I set to 24C in the summer). The room is warm as fuck too. I'm really impressed with it.

I also have a portable unit, but that one was loud as all fuck and much less effective when it comes to cooling, plus it has the disadvantage of needing to have its exhaust routed outside. If you can't do that without keeping a window open, it's effectiveness goes to complete shit. The mini-split is much, much better for me.

With small compressor and geothermal you can get 20 in the winter and 20 in the summer.

4 hours?
Pros can install one in 1 hour, but only if you have access to it (under the window, balcony, etc)

no need to spend more electricity

No need to live in Frozen baked shithole

a small wood stove with my system is enough to fucking make the house a sauna if i so wish

but thats besides the point there is literally NO reason to spend more electricity especially when its expensive as shit

I have a window a/c that I take out during cold times and prob need to put back in soon. Heavy fuck. Though a downside is that with it and a minifridge (for drinks) sometimes my UPS ends up tripping for microseconds because of electrical noise. Wiring aint the greatest here.

The place I live does have central air but since my room is on the top all the heat from downstairs comes up here and makes the central air not really that effective.

Do you live in thermos?

no i fucking know how to insulate my house

But summer is just ending right now.

How can I insulate roof?
Walls are good, but ceiling gets hot in summer, which I have never seen before

what kind of house?
is it european wooden house? is it chad concrete? is it pleb american wooden house?

where do you live?

Machines are replaceable on the cheap, just like you

maybe with cardboard walls like in the US. It takes 1h if the hole is already there and everything unpacked b the client, otherwise no way.

>$4,000-$6,000
Jesus fuck, getting mine installed was

I live in weird house. First floor is chad reinforced brick, and I have no problems with it, besides giant single glazed window.
Second floor is virgin metal cardboard composite, but with double glazed windows.
It can get 35 c there, and ceiling is hot. Walls are cool tho

Making 6 inch hole in concrete is easy with proper tools

Btw here's what my minifridge looks like. Anyone else have one? Small, comfy but great to hold da drinks.

Attached: minifridge.jpg (600x600, 68K)

Cm. Fix.

I have a standing unit with a window vent and it's pretty sweet. Actuallybuses way less electricity than I thought it would

well shit..

one quick way to reduce the temp is to paint the roof white literally white it will reduce the temp quite a lot

but i think you cant do that eh?
its a weird situation tho those fucking composites are already a clusterfuck to begin with

not when they can't move because they're half frozen. it's genius.

By composite I meant cement siding, metal studs and drywall.
I checked attic, there is insulation, but it is super thin. And in can see osb sheet, on which asphalt shingles are installed.

is this your house? can you actually do anything on it or nah?

BTW, roof is painted by (((seagulls)))

Good fans here cost a lot. More than a cheap window unit

Yes, I can do whatever fuck I want.
Except painting I guess

Ac companies see them as a threat. Why have a cheap, efficient, easy to control, silent AC unit in the room people actually sit in 95% of their time at home, WHEN you can get a loud, expensive, difficult to install and maintain, hugely inefficient whole house forced air unit for ten times the price?

Fuck HVAC companies. I installed a kickass Fujitsu ducted mini split in my home theater for $2k including all the tools in Chicago. The cheapest any of these ass pirate "pros" in Chicago would quote a ductless (inferior) one was $8k and they all said a forced air system works better.

Check out how clean and awesome one of these looks when installed vertically. ( not mine but inspired me to do it myself)

youtu.be/ha2mrHucmYc

making your house totally white is probably the easiest way to be honest

then the most efficient way is to use foam insulation panels
thats basicly the cheapest shit
after that you can always do what the swiss do
2 layers of wood
youtube.com/watch?v=4j_UjIshzMc&t=23s&disable_polymer=1
which probably is the best solution but i guess it costs quite a lot there

In Chicago its twice the price. You can buy a heat pump Pioneer one from Amazon for like $800 delivered. You can technically do it with standard tools, but I recommend you get a good vacuum pump($100) to vacuum out the lines before releasing the refrigerant for maximum efficiency of the unit. I also bought my own flaring tool to make custom length copper line sets to further increase efficiency.

It is white already. Except roof.

I would not recommend to flare. You should have at least 3m otherwise you will have problems with oil return. At least manufacturers say this.
Also flaring requires skills. I made 20 flares before doing it for real ... Still not sure if shit leaks or no

well if you decide to paint it white too make sure to pass a alsan 320 or similiar(make sure its uv resistant tho) and then paint it

filthy plebs that cant work remote desperately trying to convince themselves its worth it