Damn... so this is the power of software engineers

Damn... so this is the power of software engineers..

Attached: softwareeng.png (988x400, 209K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/parissathena/status/1068873547005812737?lang=en
twitter.com/ParissAthena/status/1101138310779621376
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Reed1981
It's a 38-year-old Redditor, probably with a humanities degree, trying to lrn2code. What do you expect

It's too easy nowadays to become a code monkey. Most serious programmers know that stuff.

This actually triggers me irl

>rebbit
kys and stay there, fucko!

that last post made me mad

One of the reason I went for EE. I can call myself a proper engineer and still write software.

Software "engineering" got diluted by brainlets like those reddit posters. They poisoned the well. Study something else.

This is the power of webshit.

I understand they points but it's a wrong attitude towards things. Some people are pathologically afraid of thing they don't know or don't remember. I am one of them. But it's better try do something buggy and half working than not do anything at all

>215 points
yikes

To be somewhat fair, outside of basic algebra I barely use maths at all in my programming job. That being said, it's easy to relearn this stuff whenever you have to.

thats life tho

no these are just stupid fucking redditors being stupid fucking redditors

this desu.

Rest assured, any comp sci. that didnt graduate from a clown university also knows this stuff. Please.

Attached: Fish_Visitors_Grab_6.jpg (1920x1080, 477K)

he's referring to software engineering, the bastard stepchild of EE and CS

you have to go back

You need at least calc 1 to get an associates in comp sci. How do you NOT have a basic grasp of algebra and calc at that point?

Attached: oh lord.jpg (536x572, 122K)

shitty high school math education.

Attached: algo.png (602x1137, 473K)

Attached: yikes.png (597x454, 63K)

I still think the time I spent learning integrals was wasted.

People are getting certs instead of going to college these days. My local uni seriously wanted me to take, like, theoretical wave functions or some shit, and I was like, "Sooo, do you want me to be a programmer, or do you want me to be a theoretical physicist who's good at computers?"

bro, waves are everything.

Wave functions are over the top. I don't think many unis do that though.

sorry, let me rephrase, wave functions may be irrelevant to software and system admininstration, but in terms of STEM there are a ton of applications in circuits, signal processing, chemistry and physics.

but...muh neural net backpropogation algorithms

So she's a fucking lying idiot hippocrite? An I reading that correctly?

Imagine having the gall to go to an interview without even being qualified enough to realize you're not qualified.

at first I had no fucking idea what histograms are
turns they're literally just bar charts, I just didn't recognize the name (second language)
how the fuck can't understand that

I'd agree somewhat with the tweet, if it weren't for the fact that there are really great resource (both free and nonfree) to prepare for SW interviews. Most notably, the Cormen Algorithms book and "Cracking the Coding Interview"
Of course, YMMV, but it's good to at least be aware that the resources exist and use them as the need arises.

its a type of bar chart where the area of the bar is proportional to the number of members in its domain

>219 upvotes
>110 upvotes
wew

Funnily enough I dropped CS because I couldn't get higher than a 70-ish in calc 3
I went into IT networking like a brainlet; considering all the dogshit """programmers""" i see nowadays i think i should've stayed in cs.

I'm a computer science and computer engineering double major. I honestly like that people think math is irrelevant for their careers. It helps my future job security.

that's every bar chart

That's computer engineering
Software engineering has no EE topics in it's curriculum, it's watered down CS with lots of administrative topics

wew lad

Wave function != wave equation.
Wave functions are a full, complete description of a quantum mechanical system, and the other is a differential equation describing the propagation of a classical wave.
I somehow doubt that CS majors would be recommended to take quantum mechanics.

>learn useless integrations for two years
>step foot into the work force
>doesnt know how to implement a basic two-way socket
>doesnt know how to implement a basic mvc crud application
>never heard about uml diagrams
>doesnt even know half the terminology thats needed to dupe the boss into thinking that you know shit

cringe

Attached: 1549729591307.png (591x864, 396K)

Sounds like a job for a bootcamp graduate

PhD is a meme

fucking javascript monkeys are basically niggers. they dont know cs theory or pure math theory. bunch of frauds.

Wrong.

>

>I wanted to go to culinary school to get a job as a chef, and they wanted me to take an organic chemistry class for no reason
>"well, yeah, organic chemistry is the basis of all cooking"

This is what you CSfag enablers sound like.

But I get to call myself an engineer and make $90k/yr. Cope more, NEET.

the funny thing is if you're not using this high school algebra/linear algebra out in the real world chances are you're not doing anything particularly interesting

the black woman is right tho, college is for retards

t.unifag

So how is the google crash course?

all tech based jobs are the fruits of all science and math

so yeea you can be ignorant of the science beehind but at the end of the day, PHY LAYER is king

So, serious question, I have some savings saved up to get me through 2 years without having to work, in which time I planned to change industries to something more programming related...

What do I learn to find a job asap? Europe based, and I have an abundant math and logics academic background.

I was thinking about starting with Python, to get the grip, and then to move on to C++ or so?

I am not looking for that six figure career down the line, just something that will get me a decent job programming job.

Also, is freelancing in the programming industry a thing?

You really think front-end webdev positions actually benefit from people being systems engineers? I know you just want to ride your high-horse but actually think about how much math and data structures knowledge is needed for your standard LOB app, then take that down another order of magnitude and you've got how much is needed for a react UI dev. Yeah, they're not the cutting edge of compsci but thinking that should be a selection criteria is as stupid as saying you need to be able to rebuild your car's engine to be allowed a license to drive.

Not if you're in academia. Too bad academia is a circle jerk club.

>wants to learn machine learning
>can't be burdened with the difficulties of variables and coefficients
These are the people taking all the cool CS jobs

>I have an abundant math and logics academic background
Depending on what courses you took, you might be able to get a CS degree in 2 years. I assume you have all the gen ed requirements fulfilled and that you have all the calc requirements fulfilled, probably linear algebra too. If by logic you mean discrete math, then that's another requirement. Most universities accept some math classes as CS electives. At least my school accepts some logic based philosophy classes too, so if that's what you meant by logic then maybe that works too. Might be worth looking into

twitter.com/parissathena/status/1068873547005812737?lang=en

twitter.com/ParissAthena/status/1101138310779621376

>I took this support job because it's less pressure. I promise it's not because I'm dumb
>You can tell I'm smart because it says "support engineer"

Attached: Screenshot at 2019-03-29 11-12-37.png (641x661, 371K)

Based commie

that's fucking sad

>be black lgbt? woman
>every company is trying to hire you and pay you extra to ease the SJW bullying
PROPHET!

Mire like every company is trying to take pictures of you for their website

Link to the Reddit thread?

He was too weak for IT.
Moving on.

There are stock photos

Imagine not even being good enough for becoming a diversity hire.

>Fucking whitey and their “algorithms”

Attached: DF49FC54-A6D9-4582-87EA-0EEB8CA20BC3.jpg (750x258, 83K)

How is that possible? Teach at a community college or something. There's more to this story than is being told

Which, quite frankly, is the vast majority of software jobs out there. Even at google, somebody needs to take care of the “create new” button in gcal or some shit.

This is the power of Learn2Code.

Fucking hell the math lvl in the US is terrible.
No wonder why french engineers coming from medium tier school make 10k a month in their first job when going there.

I have a masters degree in mathematics and I can't remember the last time I used a graph of a function or a histogram in any programming job. What did I miss?

Imagine being a self taught "coder" lmao

kek

Really fucking sad. You can joke all you want about Jow Forums but reddit just worship shit like this

>food analogy

Jesus Christ

This is seriously fucked up. These people don't understand that software engineering is legitimately engineering. Meaning there is a heavy dollop of math and science involved. You can only fake it for so long with plugging together npm lego in JavaScript.

The only time ive used high school math using c# was in unity

Figure out what you want to go for, embedded low lvl programming, web shit, mobile etc
Webshit has high demand, + you get to freelance WordPress sites for local businesses

If you're any good, then you have an intrinsic understanding of the math to the point where you don't think about it. You understand sets and categories, the principles of algebra and functions, etc. And most importantly, when you run into something you haven't done in a while you don't shy away from it, you do an hour of research and learn how to navigate the problem. This is if you're any good at all. Carving a tiny niche and refusing to leave it like the Redditor did doesn't make you an engineer, or developer, or computer scientist. It makes you a code monkey, and a really useless one at that.

mine isn't. At one point I thought it was too but it really ramped up in the last year(s). Could I have learnt all that shit without college? Probably most of it but it would have been harder and no diploma at the end. Also couldn't get motivated enough to do it without the structure.

Histogram is often the first feature extraction you try in ML.
For example, it's trivial to create an algorithm that recognizes frog memes around here, just take the histogram and check whether it contains mostly a single tone of green.
Graphs is just visualisation for brainlets.

I'm not sure why more people dont go into mobile development.
It's in high demand and for the most part it's just plugging in APIs.

I get like forgetting HS math if you don't actively use it and haven't really studied beyond that.
I barely remember much beyond basic algebra since I don't work in a job that requires more than that, but if your high school self can learn it and pass the tests, surely you can relearn it without too much issue? Math is just another skill that requires practice.

Attached: 1495789837136.jpg (638x746, 69K)

i think a lot of us kinda see it as a backup plan or for when we get sick of doing the more complicated and interesting stuff

hack up a couple shitty apps for android/ios and get a job at a bank or somewhere working on their mobile shit-sandwich

>Algortihms from arabian mathematic named Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi

Use it or lose it. You don't need any of that shit in a serious Software engineering role like Kernel Dev, Embedded systems, Network infrastructure, etc etc....

So, if you haven't used it in a while, you know it but aren't a guru. If that's all the job requires, go hire a highschool grad. who completed AP Comp Sci w/ a 5. They wont because obviously there's more to it than just highschool math anyone can refresh themselves on in a week.

So, it's a crash course.. cool. Should be able to breeze through it. As for meme learning, it's definitely not a pinnacle of software engineering. It's pleb tier shit like web dev. So, no... one shouldn't expect someone to be proficient in it out of the box because it's shit tier monkey code and thinking to get a computer to fake intelligence while brute forcing through large data sets.

> Co-efficients as in spending a week playing with weights on a neural network that wont resolve

Algorithms are generally dog whistling. An engineer is rarely going to implement one from scratch. The ones taught in school are often developed over 5 years+ by a seasoned professor with a doctorate degree and are 'encoded' as such. When not engineering one from scratch, any serious company should have a standard library of low level algorithms so as to ensure consistent code bases. Algorithms are a fucking meme as is big-O notation.

Which is quite frankly all you'll be doing after you jump through a 1000 step interview process that grills you as if you're going to be writing a search engine from scratch.
> Oh i see you passed our insane interview process ...
> Now your job assignment : Add a new button to gmail
> Oh, no.. you wont be doing that in the way you think...
> Here's our 5000 page software development guide ..
> Yes, you're not writing any new code.. You'll be calling internal standard libraries.

Math isn't terrible in the U.S. However, use it or lose it. Software engineers rarely use math. Anyone who tells you different is a fuckface clown... which is almost everyone in the UK

I wish i was that brave/lacking in self awareness.

You missed the part where meme learning a.k.a (((AI))) is nothing more than getting a computer to bruteforce through a state space. So, underneath all the marketing, you have the following kind of turd doing vision processing :

Studying CS is pointless. Study a real STEM subject and then just learn how to write programs on the side. Big O notation takes less than a week to understand and each class of algorithm is 1-3 days work to understand in enough depth. Everything else is a fucking meme CS majors use to justify their pathetic degrees.

there are people in this threads who only use the mathematics they know without having to prove them all first
i hate programmers

doesn't matter if it boils down to control system if it works it works u dumbass
try developing anything like it without using it.
you probably think calculus 1 is so fucking obvious and dumb because its fucking ez. well its ez because 100 genius behind you have worked on it

>use archaic gibberish and symbols
>"why doesn't anyone know what i'm saying?"
>"they must be brainlets"
why don't you fags try speaking like a normal human for a change instead of using 1000 year old terms to describe everything? nobody is impressed by somebody who walks around talking like shakespeare, we think he's a faggot. math isn't hard, sorting through the bullshit terminology is a pain in the ass though.

that's how I got my job as a software developer

have fun with your $50,000 debt and wasting 4 years of your life while I made $50,000 each of those 4 years and learned on the job

Dunno in your country, but in mine CS degree = it's half maths, half cs subjects.
However the most prestigious masters in AI or crypto prefer people who have a BSC Degree in Maths rather than CS.
But i'm not sure if i'm that good in Maths, so i will keep it the safe way.

as if learning about transistors will help you be a good programmer? not in this day and age. in the end it boils down to what are you going to do in the future.
a purely coding programmer don't need to bother with engineering bullshit like calculus. just go straight to databases for all i care.

machine learning is closer to applied math/statistics than cs in my opinion. you need a strong understanding of probability or you'll get lost really quickly if you aren't just translating pseudocode some other person wrote