What's so bad about spending $3k in a computer you use for work? Let's assume you're a programmer...

What's so bad about spending $3k in a computer you use for work? Let's assume you're a programmer, a systems administrator, an accountant, a designer, etc, something that actually makes money with their computer.

I don't understand this poorfag mentality of cheaping out in such important things. I'll spend over 8 hours a day, 260 days a yeer staring at it, what's so bad about buying something good?

Attached: 61203-workhorses-open.jpg (612x408, 173K)

>What's so bad about spending $3k in a computer you use for work?
Nothing. But if you buy macshit, you're just retarded and would've been better off with a $500 Acer that has better build quality and reliability.

>3k on a laptop
Don't fall for this meme
Spend the money on a desktop or get a good but cheap used thinkpad or better yet do both

>Implying you need a computer that's worth more than $200 for any of those jobs.

Attached: Comfy with woman.jpg (333x477, 30K)

What does it do that something with an i5, 16GB RAM, an SSD and a 1080p screen can't? Because that doesn't cost anywhere near $3k.

as an Acer user. no the plastic feels like shit and the screen has shit viewing angles too. i cant do photgraphy edits on it or anything for color work

get nerd pussy or hipster

>as an
stopped reading right there.
you need to go back.

I have a 2.5k surface book 2 and it's by far the most versatile piece of tech I've ever owned
>10-12 hours of battery life during normal use, 4 hours more than an XPS13 for example
>can dettach the screen and watch movies on it in bed
>touchscreen and pen support
>can use it as a tablet for notetaking and sketching in university
>navigating pdfs is much more comfortable than with keys
>3:2 aspect ratio is objectively better for reading
>graphics card in the keyboard base let's me play any vidya that interests me
>keyboard has lots of key travel unlike macshit
>decent IO

There simply is no competition that pulls of the tablet/laptop hybrid as well as microsoft, even if they are expensive

Attached: Surface-Book-2.jpg (940x580, 27K)

If it's an investment for work and you're using it to its limits I don't see anything wrong with it, overspending on performance you don't need is bad tho.
My last work-laptop was a hp elitebook 840 which was like 600€(?), after the lease ended they got me a Dell latitude which was 2.2k€ - all I do with it is writing emails and doing ms office, I have 0 advantages from the additional money they spent

>for work
That's a tax creditable business expense, not spending

I'm really afraid of carrying that much value with me.
I work at a university and as in some campuses it is surrounded with sketchy places, the college itself is fine but as soon as you walk out you invite trouble.
I would be extremely paranoid if I had such a machine with me.

Though I want to ask you how is 3:2 ratio? is it that different from 4:3? in x4 it is 12:8 vs 12:9. Should I settle down for 3:2 or would you reccomend me to go for 4:3?
the only 4:3 big tablet is ipad sadly...

My university is in a good area, but my flat is sourrounded by turkroaches. Though I don't really fear getting mugged in public transport and I'm relatively fit. Can't you just drive home?

3:2 and 4:3 aren't all that different I think. Depending on what you wonna do with the tablet I'd very much recommend the Surface Pro 6 over the recent Ipads. If all you are doing is note taking and modifiying PDFs they might be fine, but the typecover keyboard on the Surface lineup is simply better in every way than apples solution and even if they are changing iOS to be more PC-like on ipads, they don't come close.

Nothing wrong with it. Ignore all the Jow Forums used-thinkpad fetishists. If you really need the performance but you need to move around then you may not have a choice but to get yourself a decent laptop

Literally every programming job I've had, including startup positions with

Attached: pyvv4jq88eo21.jpg (708x773, 69K)

>implying you need a car worth over $500
>implying you need food that tastes good in addition to providing sustenance
>implying you need more than 4 articles of clothing

The only reason you'd need a $3k computer is if you did video editing in 4K.
For other heavy duty graphical tasks something between 1k and 2k will suffice depending on your needs.

for all other purposes you could do with less than $500. Especially for the jobs you listed.

>I don't understand this poorfag mentality of cheaping out in such important things. I'll spend over 8 hours a day, 260 days a yeer staring at it, what's so bad about buying something good?
You're the one bringing it up as if its relevant. Its just a laptop, if its really no big deal to you, you'd already own it.

And since this is a MacBook thread and you mentioned working with it, anyone who does any amount of typing wouldn't find that keyboard acceptable. Its completely shit and I hear the new models are even worse.

>What's so bad about spending $3k in a computer
being a bootlicker to big companies that overprice their products

get a good bag and get insurance if you're really worried about it

It's your money and your time. For me I found a 1070 laptop for 1k, it's be almost twice that for one with a 1080 or the 3k if I want aethetics too

Law of diminishing returns, you don't get what you pay for, a 3k laptop is only if not less than 30% faster than a 500 used one, there's no way you can justify spending 3k in a tiny improvement, meanwhile with the same 3k you could build server/farm with way way way more processing power than any laptop if you really need extra processing power.
I could buy a 100e watch too, but a 12bucks casio does exactly the same thing so why should I buy it over the casio? There's no way you can justify it same way you can't justify a highend laptop.

Nothing wrong with a 3k laptop. Terrible idea to buy a macbook for 3k tho

You're right, spending 3k on a computer is a wise investment. Just don't waste it on a Mac.

>What's so bad about spending $3k in a computer you use for work?
Assuming that you can’t keep the money for yourself or you genuinely need such a beefy machine for something like CAD, there’s nothing wrong.

If neither of the above are true, then what’s the point? It’s not as if you’re going to be able to play high end games constantly without getting fired, so just build what you need.

3k is a shit ton of money for a laptop, if thats the amount you have to spend then do it. you can get fantastic machines for just about everything for half that

Maybe some programmers with badly maintained environments need a lot of memory or maybe good CPU for building.

I'm a sysadmin and even though I have a good computer because I can, I would be able to perform equally with $300 computer. Not laptop though.

Accountant here. You definitely do not need a $3000 machine to do our work. That being said, I really wish my company would spring for something better than the bargain-basement business laptops they keep getting. When I first started working here, they were using ancient 15" HP Probooks with Sandy Bridge processors and 1366x768 screens, which were probably around $600 new. I thought those were bad until they replaced them with a fleet of Dell Vostros about a year ago. Not only are the screens still 15", 1366x768 on a computer that's SEVEN YEARS NEWER, but the Dells' screens have a horrible bluish tint that strains your eyes (I have the Windows 10 night light turned on 24/7), they use mechanical hard drives (because fuck spending an extra $50 to configure it with a 128 GB SSD) and the overall quality of construction is worse than the HPs. Knowing the cheap bastards who run my firm they're probably going to try to squeeze 7 years out of these as well.

Also this. I personally don't buy expensive portable tech because I don't want to risk having it stolen.

3 grand won't get you a high quality compootah, just a luxury item.
1.2k should do it, that's what a brand new memepad/latitude costs.

because $3k is overkill. I have servers to do the heavy lifting.
plus i can't find good business notebooks anymore anyway. i don't need a super thin machine where everything is soldered/glued so i can't replace/repair shit. also don't feel the need to carry adapters because there was no room for ports.

I work as a sys admin and all our current machines are from dell. the newer generations tend to break after about 4 years. bunch of 2015 machines died in the last few months. bunch of doa units too. meanwhile the old models are still running fine.

this is something I don't understand. why do they always cheap out on the screens? the price difference between 1080p and shitty low resolutions is marginal but thats what people look at 8 hours a day.

Too expensive. Tablet devices are a meme.

nice try buypig

t. lucrative career in agribusiness with a $100~ used stinkpad for fieldwork

Attached: mi.png (959x630, 68K)

because 3k macbooks rely on shitty kernel with support only for what apple specifically believes you should be able to use?

If you're going to drop dumb money on a laptop, get an xps and install linux on it. You'll end up paying less anyways for a better machine whose hardware will be supported by linux well into 205X.

a lot of good points in this thread OP. me personally, i don't need the power of a new computer, and sometimes the older laptops can be better (not made with chink quality). I have a T430 with an i7 and some extra RAM and its been more than enough for me and i program at least 8 hours daily

>why do they always cheap out on the screens?
Because they're cheap, they don't understand the value of good screens, and they get bad advice. My company is too small to have a dedicated IT guy but we do have this Indian tech consultant. His rationale for not spending literally $100 more per computer to get an SSD and a 1080p screen was "you can't tell the difference between a hard drive and a solid state drive unless you're moving a lot of files all the time" and "1080p does not matter unless your eyes are a few inches from the screen, at the distances you guys work, 768p is fine". Ignoring the fact that on a 1080p monitor, I've got an extra 312 vertical pixels to work with, which is a 40% increase over 1366x768. I can literally fit an entire extra spreadsheet in that space, and I can see the fucking difference when I move an Excel window from the laptop's screen to my external 1080p monitor. Also, Windows 10 boots up slower on my 1-year-old fucking work computer than Windows 7 does on my 10-year-old T500, and the difference is literally all in the SSD.

Sahil, it does make a difference you dumb motherfucker.

do you use it to plow the field? goddamn peasants, I swear.

shut up, yankee fuck. I bet you're even using toilets in your absolute wastefulness while there's a perfectly good street right outside the door.

One of my old friend's spent $300 on a laptop for college to use Maya on.

top kek

>shut up, yankee fuck
Leaf but yeah sure

I had two friends who went into engineering and both "needed" AutoCAD. One of them spent about $900 on a desktop which doubled as a gaming rig, and then another $300 on a used T60p (at the time, that was actually a really decent deal). $1,200 in total. My other friend dropped $2,800 on a 15" Macbook Pro. The desktop consistently beat the Macbook in AutoCAD, and the Thinkpad could remote-in to some powerful university computer to do AutoCAD reasonably fast. The Macbook friend would never admit to wantonly wasting money.

>have macbook pro 2013 from Tech school
>have mid/upper-tier 2018 HP laptop from University
>Have (few years old) high end custom desktop for gaming

I use the Mac whenever I am not home just because I like OSX on laptops. But I use the gaming desktop whenever I am home.
Would have probably never gotten either laptop if I didnt need them for school.
If I had my choice of laptop I probably would have gone with a Surface laptop or a Lenovo ThinkPad.

>that doesn't cost anywhere near $3k.
Yes it does, if you buy enterprise workstation laptops
Which you should not since the company you work for should provide what you need.

A T480 with those specs is less than half that, and my work laptop is a woefully underspecced T470. What machines are you looking that?

Only pro-gamers really need all that beefy power. Everyone else who would need an ass load of power will use a more expensive computer that has even more power and it won't be available to the general public.

go for a used z workstation