What do we think of Intel® Linux?

What do we think of Intel® Linux?

Attached: image.png (1230x655, 164K)

>Linux*
gender neutral

Why are you asking a question to yourself?

Intel made their own version of the Linux kernel?

Botnet

>guys I have no ability to form my own opinions, tell me what to think

>ah bloo bloo no technology discussion allowed on a technology discussion board

>he doesn't already know what we think
OP was a trick question to out newfags

>intel
trash

Linux is just a kernel, saying "the linux kernel" is like saying "the sun star", "the car vehicle" etc. It makes it appear as if linux is something else and you are talking about the kernel part specifically

>the sun star
This is correct
>the car vehicle
This is wrong

Saying the linux kernel is specifying which kernel (There are many kernels around) is meant by telling the brand name. It's like saying "the BMW car". It does have its uses.

it's not redundant. A lot of kids don't know that sun is a star.

>He thinks the sun is a star

Attached: 1526517667790.gif (220x165, 661K)

The Linux kernel is just part of the Linux operating system.

In that case you can say "Linux, the kernel, ..." Saying "the linux kernel" implies there is something else to Linux other than the kernel itself, which is incorrect

>ITT a bunch of retards spout nonsense.

I installed in a vm for a while after seeing how well performs in the phoronix comparatives.
At the end I uninstalled it: it has too many quirks, the package manager is weird (installs bundles instead of packages) and the foot is the default DE, using it with plasma or xfce made it bearable but you cant unistall all the gnome crap.
Also, config files are not in the common places so it takes quite some time to set everything.

They say they are starting to work in a more desktop oriented version in the future, so is in my radar for now

>Also, config files are not in the common places so it takes quite some time to set everything.
>config files
>common places
You mean the fifty different places that they can generally be found in?
How could Intel be worse than that?

>How could Intel be worse than that?

I forgot to say, their documentation sucks hard

What are you on about?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm terribly sorry, but I would like to interject for yet another moment. What I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system, "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU needed, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really just distributions of Linux.

atheists kindly leave

Based on what I saw on their page I get the impression they’re trying to make things as hands-off as possible. With their bundles, containers, and whatever their updating system is. Which is fine for getting non-tech people a system that’s easy to set up but not really interested in that.

The diff based updating sounded neat though. Instead of installing an updated version of a package it just installs what’s changed. Like a patch.

It's fast af and there's not much reason to use else.

You're going to have to build or use snaps for most apps though. They don't have that many bundles for the apps you want.

Intel is as usual very slow at sensing the shift in technologies, already coreOS and rancherOS took over that market

Too little packages, use Solus(tm)

are you retarded? this distro is not for users, this is a distro for servers designed specifically for container based deployments (k8s, docker, etcd)

I do a lot of scientific computing and I look forward to someting usable with this distro. The python phoronix benchmark look really promising

holy shit you're beyond retarded, this is NOT for fucking users, this is for kubernetes based deployments (distributed systems and that stuff)

You make it sound like desktop usage is mutually exclusive. The optimizations for speed work great on my i7 laptop.

>that nose on the penguin

This is true.