I just call it Linux and not gahnoo slash linecks, but it must really suck for this guy

I just call it Linux and not gahnoo slash linecks, but it must really suck for this guy.

He and his team autistically built an operating system from scratch in a record time, only for people to start calling that operating system the name of ONE of the dozens of components that make that system.

It must really suck that people are not able to recognize the work he did. It makes me -kind of- understand his autistic interjections.

Attached: rms.jpg (1024x768, 294K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My heart breaks every time I get reminded of his story.

lmao bro just get win10

it's his fault, this is what happens to freetards to be honest others WILL steal

This thread again... just piss off

reminder

Attached: GNU+LINUX.png (800x360, 216K)

How much of the whole GNU/Linux is the GNU part? I always thought the GNU "tools" as I've heard people refering to them, was not THAT big of a part of it, but I'm a brainlet so can someone give me some ESTIMATION of a percentage?

~67%

a better question is how much linux is in gnu/linux: just the kernel. android for example contains the same amount of linux.

This is what happens when you build every part of the operating system except for ya know... the single most important part.

Better question: how do you meausre how much of GNU *is* GNU/Linux?

Should it be Lines of Code? A million lines of code that never run doesn't sound like a good measure. Maybe it should be clock cycles instead. If that's the case, it might be better off calling it SystemD/Linux, init/Linux, what have you.

I was a lot more sympathetic to the argument back around 2000, but it's been almost another 20 years and they still don't have a GNU kernel yet.

Why would they? The goal is to make a free OS by combining free software. At no point did they intend on designing every part of the system. If I remeber correctly RMS said they were looking for good free software and wrote what they couldn’t find. Well they found a kernel that worked well and used it. So even if there still is a hurd project being worked on it’s not important and GNU shouldn’t actively care about it.

What even does a kernel do?

It pops.

not gonna back up this claim... with anything... at all... no?

Fucking this. Hurd stopped developing because there was no more need for it. Hurd is now more of an experimental research project in the same vein as plan9.

Are there any "GNU tools" one should care about if they only use Windows?

If you are a Windows user you need no GNU tools whatsoever.

Maybe if you use the command line a lot you will want to install the bash shell and all that instead of using powershell, but you don't really need to. Or maybe you want to change the BIOS on your computer to a libre one. But, again, you don't need to.

Sour grapes?

>He and his team autistically built an operating system from scratch in a record time, only for people to start calling that operating system the name of ONE of the dozens of components that make that system.
Yeah? What about the other, anonymous people around the world, that contribute to Linux everyday without any recognition? Why this insufferable faggot hobo degenerate should get any attention? Just because he's an attentionwhore communist schizo that wants public toilets to be free of charge? I say FUCK Stallman and FUCK GNU-losers. This is LINUX, without "GayNayOoo".

>He and his team autistically built an operating system from scratch in a record time, only for people to start calling that operating system the name of ONE of the dozens of components that make that system.
then complete that fucking hurd things and ship it as a GNU OS before its 2090 fucking idiot

I would like to see people using the format "Linux plus GNU" and I have a reasoning for this. People are already saying Linux and they always will be, but when GNU tools are included people could specify that this one also has GNU. They can even say Linux first and remember mid-sentence that they should be mentioning GNU as well, so it can just go like "Linux.... plus GNU". Linux is a sexy name and globally recognized already. GNU cannot overcome that name, but they could be added to it.

Actually it wouldn't even have to be "plus", even more casual way of including it would be "Linux with GNU". It's easy for the ears and does the job. After all Android is Linux without GNU so it would be like specifying that you're not talking about that, you're talking about Linux with GNU.

I like both Torvalds and RMS btw, I hope they have a long life.

Android is Android. GNU is GNU.
Both systems share the same kernel, but Android nor GNU is "Linux". People need to realize that Linux is not a system GNU wants to be attached to or prefixed in its name; /Linux is postfix, a friendly move by GNU.
>we should treat Linus the same way those who call the system “Linux” treat us. We strongly disagree with his political views, but we deal with that disagreement honorably and openly, rather than by trying to cut him out of the credit for his contribution to the system.
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu

The official GNU kernel is GNU Linux-Libre. A fork of Linux without nonfree bits. That's why Hurd development stopped decades ago.

>gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu
>Since Linux is a secondary contribution
Linux is not a secondary contribution made for GNU project to fulfill their project. It was an entirely separate operating system project which started from the other end, the kernel. GNU doesn't own Linux nor is GNU software used every time Linux is used, so they don't get to dictate everything.
>Since many people know of the system as “Linux”, if we say “GNU” they may simply not recognize we're talking about the same system. If we say “GNU/Linux”, they can make a connection to what they have heard about.
Even the GNU project realizes that people commonly say "Linux" anyway so they encourage using "GNU/Linux" instead of "GNU". My suggestion, "Linux with GNU" rolls off the tongue easier and still gives the important recognition.

>I feels bads for a cult leader whose made millions scamming gullible idiots with his pseudo-religious cult propaganda.
I think there's room in the oven for all of you cultists.

The GNU system exists since 1983. Linux first showed up in 1991 and people combined it with the GNU system. It literally is a secondary contribution. You're not trying to tell me that if I install bonzy buddy in GNU, that it's from now on bonzybuddyOS right. I hope.

Yeah, Linus is truly a faggot.

>made millions scamming
you should look up how much the linux foundation makes in one year and then combine it to the nothings the FSF makes, which only exists thanks to donations

I am aware that GNU project is older and so is Linus Torvalds. Nevertheless as quoted before, people all around the globe are saying "Linux". Torvalds didn't force them to do this, it just happened anyway. The ship has sailed for GNU project to get to call the shots and there's nothing I or you can do about it except try to come up with a name that people might bother to use. My suggestion is "Linux with GNU", what's yours? As we have already noticed, people rather say "Linux" than "GNU/Linux" so we need a new name. Unless of course things are perfectly fine like this.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-31-04-54-42.png (720x731, 112K)

Or we just stop being faggots and call it GNU. Just worked with Android.

Well, (You) can call it whatever you like. You can start calling it a trampoline if you want. You might still want to read the full post you are replying to. The general trend will still be to call it "Linux", or so it seems.

Also
>since it worked with the most powerful ad company on the planet I'm sure it will work every time, even though it has been attempted for decades already with no effect
sounds just a little bit too optimistic.

No

low level hardware stuff

> What even does a kernel do?
depends on the system, for example
nt kernel does a lot of stuff, inclusive stuff like font tendering and other crap
linux kernel only allocates machine resources to the system above
generally speaking, the kernel does at least all the low level stuff, depending on the system more or less

dumbfuck

GCC alone is bigger than the entire linux kernel.

Hurd development is still happening. Just slowly due to a lack of developers.

What political views of his do they disagree with? Just the blobs?

Last stable four years ago, last commit three months ago.

Hm? what story?