Jow Forums, what’s the closest thing to a pocket sized meme laptop like pic related, except a lot cheaper...

Jow Forums, what’s the closest thing to a pocket sized meme laptop like pic related, except a lot cheaper? I want something for now that’s small (preferably with no track pad), and I can mess around with. Like using a few programs, YouTube, and studying programming, maybe a virtual machine, etc. Basically a small meme laptop that if I fuck up, it’s no big deal.

Attached: B81AF9AB-84AD-4350-83DF-F2347D865892.jpg (1600x1200, 188K)

Other urls found in this thread:

n-o-d-e.net/ubuntu_laptop_overview.html
n-o-d-e.net/terminal_2.html
extremetech.com/mobile/286640-the-fxtec-pro-1-is-a-qwerty-slider-blast-from-the-past
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why not just get a phone

There was a guide on making mini raspberry pi computers on n-o-d-e.net - but while that's cheap in terms of money it's time intensive to make yourself. Plus the site seems to be down.

>ishit
Found your problem.

iPhone SE

better specs, keyboard, easy to change between OS.

Why haven't chinks been able to replicate these and sell them for cheaper?

Here are some:
n-o-d-e.net/ubuntu_laptop_overview.html
n-o-d-e.net/terminal_2.html

does the node guy do stuff anymore?

Idk, seems like they should’ve by now. I mean if you ask me, looks like something you could pic up sub 100 bucks.
Wouldn’t all that be too powerful for a Pi though?

Last update was ~4 months ago. He used to post almost weekly.
What - watching youtube, programming, using a 'few programs'?
Depends what OS you put on there. Admittedly I can't remember if the pi can handle youtube, but my core 2 duo from 2001 handles it fine, so a modern ARM processor should(?) be fine too so long as you use a lightweight OS like arch for arm or something.
Yeah, depending on what you consider acceptable latency, a pi should do you fine, especially a modern one.

Interesting..what about Linux? Would that be considered a lightweight OS?

but linux is a kernel

Because that one is already made by chinks.

My brain no understand.

toy OS for facebook toddlers

Small meme laptop, like so small you can type with your tiny prick?
Notebook/laptops are computers for people who want to waste their money on under powered computers with shitty life cycle to garbage.

Linux on a chromebook.

you don't usually visit this board, do you?
it's not that important, but if you lurk a bit moar you will see a copypasta beginning with "I'd like to interject for a moment" wich basically explains what I just said

Wow, the quality sure is going down these days.

why isn't there a simple and cheap ~7 inch screen (doesn't need to be a touchscreen) for the raspberry?

this costs like 300 bucks?
no touchscreen tho, but you're getting the win2 screen and it's also more powerful than win1 so you can do everything you said

Attached: micro_06.jpg (900x721, 84K)

Now that sounds like a meme. I don’t. lol Ah ok, I gotcha.
Yes

That’s actually a good point.. again, are you guys positive a 3 B+ could handle all that? (doesn’t have to be at once) Oh, and I agree, I have no use for a touch screen.
Exactly, for 300 bucks I could buy a new motherboard and CPU for my main.

op asked for a cheap small laptop
there really aren't lot of them on the market

>Exactly, for 300 bucks I could buy a new motherboard and CPU for my main.
It baffles me why people shit on something that costs $300, yet they will go and spend $500 on the new Oneplus or 2 Xiaomeme phones per year.

So basically OP could use a Pi and it’d be a valid meme PC that he could still actually use for his needs?

Virtual machine is out the picture, but you can get yourself a raspberry pi 3 b with one of those case + screen combos.

Attached: dunn.png (501x495, 217K)

are there *any* good SBC cases that don't look like dollar store plastic toys or shitty anachronistic retro throwback trash?

it really grinds my gears that nobody with taste designs pi/odroid accessories

No because there isn't any cheap and reasonably sized screen to attach it to. Probably laptop manufacturers cornering the market. I'm sure if you start manufacturing those kind of screens they'll simply shoot you dead.

Attached: 1553982830719.png (1920x1080, 1.44M)

I feel ya brother. You're either stuck with whatever the chinese designers feel like making or learning how to use 3d software to 3d print your own case.

Can you run a VM on your phone?

I am tempted by the GPD pocket, its not really what i want or need. But conceptually it's so cool.

>i want something i don't want or need

Speak and Spell

Since most people don't. Most people, especially budget conscious people, tend to hold onto phones. I upgraded from my Mi3 to a Pocomeme only because I wanted better emulation abilities while traveling an assload, and the 7kg carry on means I can't really take my tablet due to how much my clothes weigh and shit.

do yourself a favor and simply buy an ipad

You know what, fuck it, why can’t I just buy my own screen, a keyboard, and a motherboard, then use a spare hard drive? I can make my own.

I have an aluminum rpi case that i think is pretty cool. 10usd

What cool hackerman stuff can Raspberry Pis actually do?

Just design and build your own

Attached: unknown-51.png (960x1050, 101K)

>sketchup
shit program desu

>zoomers only understand phonez and view-centric interfaces
btw im posting this from my phone while taking a burning shit cuz i ate way too much chili

It just werks™
¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

Attached: unknown-50.png (960x1050, 112K)

You can remote desktop Windows on your smartphone and get a portable bluetooth, walla you have pocket sized laptop.

it could be B A S E D blender.

>walla

I don't know how to use blender though, and I can shit out these half baked designs in sketchup in a day.

Attached: IMG_20190307_014814.jpg (2688x1512, 658K)

At iPad prices you can get shit like a Surface Go

>custom keyboard layout with a cunny mouse
>custom heat pipes
Where the fuck are you having this fabricated?

ITS PROPRIETARY REEEEEEEEEEEE

What the hell is that thing?

Attached: 1551595251574.gif (460x243, 1.16M)

The keyboard is mechanical and see pg1350 and cherry ml switches, so you can just lasercut a backplate and slot/glue the switches in.
The heatpipe isnt custom, it's the heatpipe from a dell 7375 just bent to fit because I'm a madlad.
The screen is some off the shelf 1920*1200 eDP Panasonic thing, and just werks with a custom passive adaptor board thanks to eDP.
The whole thing is basically a mechanical keyboard and a fucked up dell 7375.
It's also running on windows
I call it the soulja switch, pic related.,

Attached: IMG_20190307_005334.jpg (2688x1512, 447K)

No its called a fire hazard just biding its time to kill you.

Attached: D0vha3-U4AAQAih.jpg (470x547, 81K)

Don't worry it's only got 64wh of batteries, what could go wrong?

Attached: JPEG_20190328_182617.jpg (3120x4160, 1.27M)

Attached: IMG_0461.jpg (744x858, 329K)

It's probably ok, I look like I know what I'm doing if you squint enough

Attached: JPEG_20190308_002900.jpg (3120x4160, 1.66M)

I would love to clamp that thing on my penis

My ASUS EEE 900SD nearly dies on youtube and fading recaptcha bullshit actually kills it. That's a single core 900Mhz CPU. I'm sure pi could do better, but only if you have a good power supply to keep the voltage up properly.

the fuck is that netbook?
seems nice

Wait a second... so say I have a Raspberry Pi; could I control my main PC via WiFi if I’m not in on the same network?
>mfw

Attached: 19F24288-BA9D-4BED-95A0-E4E853E2C8C6.jpg (400x460, 36K)

I just realised I never answered your question properly.
In the unlikely event that I make this thing, which probably won't happen because it's like 800leafbux, it'll be assembled on a burn-marked desk in my room, using only a hoof-tip soldering iron, with the 3d printing and laser cutting being done at my uni.

Attached: JPEG_20181226_012223.jpg (3120x4160, 1.83M)

Attached: 1550368513261.png (642x485, 544K)

Would you believe it worked?

Attached: JPEG_20181226_180718.jpg (3120x4160, 1.96M)

Oh I believe it. I'm still terrified.

Did I mention I only use a hoof tip iron

Attached: JPEG_20181225_230613.jpg (3120x4160, 1.72M)

Just look up GPD laptop. You’re welcome.
How do you make your own? Hello??

You just design and build it, ez.

Attached: unknown-52.png (960x1050, 88K)

What the fuck are you talking about? OP's pic isn't even made by crapple

Spotted the liberal

curious why you think you want it, because
this seems to be the right answer.

>keyboard
have you even seen something like that in real life? that it's got a keyboard that's way to small to use comfortably doesn't really matter. at all.

my honest advice: either get a cheap 13.3" laptop or get a small tablet or a phone. keyboard on anything smaller than that is pointless. oh btw, if your argument to that is something like but I can use an external keyboard then what's the point of having a device with one, just get something like a Pi if you are going to use external keyboard and mouse anyway.

what the actual fucking shit is this

A cf to 44 pin ide adaptor I hand wired.

i can see, but why would you?

PajeetBot's AI vision is malfunctioning.

i already had the connectors, and $0 < whatever it would cost to buy it

Gemini. Thank me later

Yes. RDP supports public network connections.

this is impressive

Attached: Franz Kafka.jpg (480x360, 10K)

>*blocks your path*
extremetech.com/mobile/286640-the-fxtec-pro-1-is-a-qwerty-slider-blast-from-the-past

How about the GPD Win 2? It has an Intel CPU and a 6" screen.

Attached: GPD_Win_2.jpg (1152x1220, 355K)

Good: Literally pocket sized, maybe the smallest real computer with a real CPU
Bad: That fucking keyboard, the fucking controls, the pricetag (nearly $1k USD)

that looks like a nightmare to type and play.

does anyone have any ideas for keyboard, mouse or screen for custom laptop?
im thinking of using lattepanda

my dick

I'd own one of those micro-laptops if I didn't already have 90% of the functionality I need from my old Huawei P8, which is still going strong after a few repairs and a forced software update.

I used to have one of those EEE 701s and the keyboard was far better than any touchscreen shitshow despite it being so small. It'd probably be fine to use an even smaller keyboard once you get used to it.

user, that's fucking based, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Attached: 1549163933918.jpg (512x445, 25K)

pinebook

Attached: slisho2.jpg (2000x1868, 571K)

>10"
When will Microsoft make an 8" Surface and show all these jokers who's boss