/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1533170180105.png (835x1080, 875K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fzmm87oVQ6c
youtu.be/wsmHmYxyoxg?t=1802
pcsupport.lenovo.com/en/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x230/parts
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P1-Xeon-E-2176M-Quadro-P2000-Max-Q-Workstation-Review.337120.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

T410 a thicc

Attached: IMG_20190330_094409_compress_54.jpg (2328x1746, 2.74M)

youtube.com/watch?v=Fzmm87oVQ6c

Is 270$ too much for an x200s in good condition? Europe.

So do ThinkPads include AMD processors because of their inherent superiority, or for some other reason (like 2nd sourcing, 3rd-world markets,etc)?

It's really interesting to see a manufacturing with a mix of Intel and AMD.

Lenovo go out of their way to make sure the AMD chips never prosper, so it's definitely not the first reason.

Based, here's another thinkpad related talk that I enjoyed. I marked the relevant time but it doesn't work on the embed, only if you click the link.

youtu.be/wsmHmYxyoxg?t=1802

>Lenovo go out of their way to make sure the AMD chips never prosper
Really, what's the deal with that? Was IBM or Lenovo wronged badly once? Or does Intel have their claws in Lenovo right now?

Intel definitely have some shady deals going on with Lenovo.

They let some AMD models out but they're always subpar with Intel models, limited sale numbers, higher consumer cost and launched very late into the year compared to intel versions.

Mine cost 100 euro lol with with slight cosmetic damages, could spend another 100 to make it perfect. Bought mine 4 years ago too

any recc’s for a first time thinkpad buyer?

not that user but nobody sabotages themselves just like amd does, their chips are just inferior even the latest ryzen mobile has shitty idle battery life and no driver support and that is across all laptop brands and is not specific to lenovo at all, amd laptops are worse people don't really want to buy them they have smaller market share so obviously lenovo won't prioritize them as much as their entire rest of the intel lineup, not saying there are no shady deals but there are several good reasons why lenovo puts the most effort into their intel laptops

where did you get win98se JP edition

Attached: snapshot_18.42_[2016.12.23_03.25.19].png (1920x1080, 2.66M)

Worth it for 270$ in your opinion? It has my native country keyboard layout, so that's a plus as I would have to buy a new keyboard that would probably cost like 100$ alone.

nigga u gay

Any reccs for a good thinkpad alternative? I know probooks and latitudes but their model numbers are absolute shit, can't tell them apart very well. Thinkpads are quite expensive on my shithole country, even secondhand.

Will the slice battery be hot swappable with an unplugged Thinkpad W530?

Attached: sliceme.jpg (620x620, 51K)

what should i get?
im from germany
i want a fhd display
use it for light programming in school and comfy netflix machine
dont wanna spend too much but can probably make use of campus deals if its a newer model

any t-serie imho
also buy an onsite warranty, its worth it

Was looking for a t440s/450s but i cant find any reasonably cheap deals
most fhd models go for like 350-400€+

What are your opinions on the X230? I found a decent deal on one, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about this model.

sry i dont know where to buy em, i just know that yogas are the worst and beg people to avoid em
i can only give advice to what devices are ok
in general the t series should be durable and just werk nahmean
why the S version
i'd rather buy the one without the S
i have a feeling lenovo makes some mistakes when try to thin them down
for example dont buy t460s/470s
they have issues with hinges

theyre pretty slim and i think they look nice
also heard theyre made from better materials

Just get anything from the t or x 420-50 range

It's basically going to boil down to how you feel about the chiclet keyboard

I suffered with a Helix Gen 1 for a couple years, but the keyboard layout wasn't one of those issues. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting the i53320m version or look for a better one for 200 USD or less.

Why shouldn't I buy a newer Thinkpad model, like one of those new P series? I have a W541 right now, but I want a better GPU.

Whats the best thinkpad(performace wise)
money isnt an issue btw

P52 or P72

It's good if you aren't autistic about the old style keyboard (and even if you are, it's possible, albeit not easy, to nigger-rig X220 keyboard into a X230)

it's debian

Attached: 1553958839515.png (1280x800, 990K)

Redpill me on getting L580, yes from L series.

i7 versions are usually overpriced, and don't have any extra perks (unlike X220 where the i7 version is the only one with USB3). If you don't care about extra 10-15% performance on an old laptop, just get i5.

had a known issue where it wouldn't load over the dock which was solved with a bios update

Good to know, although I do not plan buying dock station. Overall I have got a decent deal on brand new for 800 euros

in general, L series is T series with no enterprise stuff like smartcard and a somewhat flimsier case
it's fine

Hm that makes sense. Does 200 sounds good for a backlit keyboard, dock, ips screen, fingerprint reader, battery and the CPU I mentioned? I did some through research and that's the middle tier CPU the x230's come with. I'm just not sure how I feel about the price.

>from the t or x 420-50 range
What the fuck you on about? What's the shit about suddenly t440 etc being GOOD? Shittier cpu ? keyboards ? No coreboot? Seems like when the prices drop, suddenly the newer generation laptops, that were shit before, turn into recommended ones. Fucking poorfags, you just want newer shit but can't afford it.

T. Corebooted IPS i7 x230 with x220 keyboard swap

What about memory and hard drive/SSD?

I need a new charging cable for my x230, which one do I get / what do I have to look out for?

Better battery life? FHD on T440s?
It surely isn't worth upgrading from T420/T430, but it has its uses.

The only thing I'm not really a fan of is that the memory is only 4GB. But there is a 256GB SSD installed. This seems to be the best deali could find for the x230. But, I'll be honest, I'm not to knowledgeable about think pads.

Even with all the research I did last night. My laptop died and I need an affordable replacement asap.

enter your serial number here pcsupport.lenovo.com/en/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x230/parts
and youll find all the compatible ac adapters and cables for ur device

Wasn't good enough points compared to xx20 and xx30 before, really makes you think huh?

are you so autistic that you can't understand that there are people with different needs than you?

yes

well at least now you know

$200 with a SSD and dock sounds fine. Unless some joker swapped the RAM to smaller modules, 4GB leaves one slot free, and since it easily accessible, upgrading is trivial.

What a surprise, people care about performance/price ratio! It wasn't enough points when 40-series was significantly more expensive as 20/30, but may be acceptable now when prices are almost the same.

Those needs were not even listed in the first post. The problem is, that here you boast about how better the old thinkpads are, how new ones are "nupads" with shitter everything. Now, when the "newer" ones drop price, their lacks are forgotten, the benefits are recognized and they are praised and recommended. Don't you think that's artificial? You know how this makes you seem like you are making excuses for you being poor and buying inferior product, and praising that product over other with made up excuces just to drop them when you can afford the newer one?

Not me, just a salty nupad owner btw.

Seriously considering getting a either a x1 extreme or a p1.

-engineering student who uses Autocad and Rivet
-light pc gaming
-lot of video watching
-overall lot of general web browsing and work software (word, power point, etc)
-Use a lot of electrical engineering software like LTspice and PowerWorld.

Any opinion if one is better suited for me than other, I dont use autocad and rivet that much as I'm EE.

Also I'm looking at the similarly equipped models
Best i7 on the extreme vs the xeon on the p1. Single 16gb of ram, 256gb ssd, and the 4k display.

>What a surprise, people care about performance/price ratio!
I rarely see anyone bring up this point, however I can understand it being taken as somewhat of an assumption. However what I see usually is calling newer thinkpads SHIT compared to the older ones. Concrete things, like I have many times brought up, like keyboard and the ultrabook gen cpu's performance being shit are brought up. These points go boof tho when poorfags can afford them.

deciding between P1 and X1E is simple, ask yourself do you need xeon, ecc or a quadro? if answer to any of those is yes pick P1 otherwise X1E

it is me
im scyzophrenic and autistic at the same time
don't believe aynthing i post

Thanks, I appreciate the help

Read the sticky you fucking mongrel troglodyte

I dont need ECC

I dont NEED quadri, but it would benefit me for what I do.

My big question is whether I'm going to notice a performance enhancements in my tasks by going with the xeon over the best i7.

Also is there a a major difference between battery performance.

>calling newer thinkpads SHIT
Newer thinkpads have significant issues like limited upgradability and lack of clit buttons on 40-series, but if you see anyone calling them shit in block letters, it's autism. I remember when Jow Forums was sperging hard about 30-series being LITERALLY UNUSABLE due to a different keyboard, but now that mostly quieted down.

Have an upgraded t420, love it but I need to use it outside and the TN screen is god awful, small dimensions, low brightness and bad viewing angles. Worth upgrading the panel or just buy a new laptop with a nice IPS FHD?

If the new ones are missing a feature that you consider critical, well, then they really are shit.

30 series is now accepted becouse keyboard mod.
i dont say nupads are shit, they are very good compared to other laptops, but my t450s i picked to replace my x220 is now my mother's laptop, i picked an x230, i cant stand new keyboards, thats doesnt mean others cant.

Just ordered x1 Carbon 3 Core i7-5600 2.60ghz 8GB 256SSD for 389 euro. Did I get a good deal?

Mad cos poor
They ARE lacking like I've noted multiple times already, something /tpg/ used to note too.

Another round of x230 BIOS flashing. Now signature is fixed so no more beeping on boot when TPM is enabled.

Attached: 1537766288103.jpg (4032x3024, 1.53M)

What is a good price for this?

Attached: nhg.png (565x755, 114K)

>My big question is whether I'm going to notice a performance enhancements in my tasks by going with the xeon over the best i7.
99% percent sure you wont, what matters here is which has better cooling because those 6c intels are gonna get hooooot.

REEEE THE KEYBOARD IS CRITICAL FOR *EVERYONE* WHO IS NOT A FUCKING PLEB

>i7, WQHD

>8GB non-upgradeable RAM and 128GB SATA drive

shit nigger what are you doing

Mine the RAM it's upgradeable.
The drive it's SATA3 M.2

>I just picked up a i7 thinkpad x390 /tpg/ true thinkpad recommendation today btw! God I couldn't stand the new x999 models they come with [insert some "forgettable flaw"]. Never buy fking nupads. Not a thinkpad btw (also am definetly not just poor)

I got an used/good condition E460 with 8gb ram for 300 eurobucks. This is good right ?

Is it a mistake to look into the X1 Tablet (current model)?

You can get pretty solid specs from the outlet store right now. I mean, it's basically just the Carbon in a different package.

I mean they seem almost identical, in terms of build construction. I would assume the consumer level CPU will draw less power than the xeon,

Sounds alright if you don't mind the plastic

actually the hinges on my last 2 laptops both nearly broke after 4-5 years ,so fingers crossed this time

damn I wish the x220 had a better screen, my dudes

Xeon does 6% better in single core, almost identical in multicore
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P1-Xeon-E-2176M-Quadro-P2000-Max-Q-Workstation-Review.337120.0.html

also, CAD still accelerates on consumer cards right? I think you should get the x1e

Thats why u dont buy shit overpriced thinkpads

How does anybody use anything other than at least FHD IPS in 2019?

T430 and older have such disgusting displays.

Y'all poor or what?

Attached: tpg.jpg (4160x3120, 3.14M)

Well, if you run it in a docking station, who cares?
You can buy a decent external display.

I own an x60 and a t61

They have the good keyboards.

T420/t410 and x series dont. Only 1/4 of them came with the original manufactured keyboard. Many are mushy and shit.

Don't fall for the meme.

T440 or newer!

That is what my desktop is for. Laptop is portable.

I can't imagine using those old displays. Its hard on the eyes.

I own an x60,t61,t430

They are simply toys in 2019 and unusable.

If you can't afford to spend $250 on a good laptop, you probably don't work and you should have other priorities in life instead of getting a t420 toy.

Not *THINKPAD* Real Business Experience P1??? Lmao you poor or what?

mod it, you can have a nice 12.5 fhd or 2k screen with some soldering skill and less than 100$ or a 13.3 fhd screen if you have some manual skill to mod the lid and bezel to fit it.

I don't do any major processing on my laptop.

Planning on getting the t480s when Classic WoW launchs in July or August.

The mod kills the dock port unfortunately ;_;

where to buy a GENUINE x201 extended battery in SEA/Aus region? I got given a brand new generic when I bought my x201 and it's fucking dogshit

It's not "hard on the eyes", you're just a fag.
Keyboard is far more important in a laptop. It doesn't matter if the text is sharp as fuck, you can see the letters clearly.

And when I'm not being productive, I'm watching videos over a mobile connection so the quality is shit anyway. Doesn't mater im in it for the audio.

I have a very nice 4k IPS at home. If you feel the need for a fancy screen on the go you are truly poor, because you clearly are stuck somewhere without anything interesting to do irl nor anything productive to do on your laptop.

Pic of me with my mint condition x60

Display sucks.

Slow and underpowered.

Poor cooling technology. (My t440s doesn't require the fan to be on, 100% silent)

Battery technology is dated.

USB 2.0.

anybody using something older than a t440 is clearly a poor neet or larping.

The keyboard is the only nice thing, but they switched the manufacturing companies with the t400/x200 and 1/2 of those have mushy cheap keyboards.

Attached: 1533879548650.png (194x259, 74K)

what are you using the dock for?

No reason to not get a t440 or newer

Your insults aren't facts.

Cope harder poorjeet.

X220/t420 DONT HAVE the glorious keyboard manufactured by the same company as the x60/t60/t61 etc.

you are right, wealthy people uses x210 or x62

>ootism rant
he'll grow up eventually and lose the bieber haircut

X210 has the mushy keyboard too. Only nice thing is the layout.

The benefit or quadro is that these software companies certify their drivers for those cards to work for their software. If you have an issue, and you call support, and you have a certified device, you are taken much more seriously than someone without a non certified device.

$100 is the difference between X230 and X250 though. Not to mention a chance of killing the laptop if you fuck up.

your mother is mushy, but we like her anyways

Looks like someone got real butthurt over being called poorfag. I hope you'd understand that ur just making my point exactly.

I dunno, docking?

Pic is almost 2 years old now. I look different. Imagine that.

Attached: Snapchat-343767982.jpg (1296x2536, 690K)

if you dont value the old keyboard and the ability to strip intel botnet engine then go for x250, it has a nicer battery too.