Are there any privacy respecting IM's for Android? Your opinions

Are there any good instant messenger programs for Android that respect user's privacy? What are your opinions on such programs? Telegram, WhatsApp, Viber, Signal etc..

Attached: Telegram.jpg (1920x1080, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

securemessagingapps.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients#Secure_messengers
privacytools.io/#voip
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvzw5x/secure-messaging-app-wire-stores-everyone-youve-ever-contacted-in-plain-text
wire-docs.wire.com/download/Wire Privacy Whitepaper.pdf#subsection.3.2
crysp.uwaterloo.ca/opinion/wire/
ssd.eff.org/en/module/why-metadata-matters
labs.rs/en/metadata/
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Telegram, WhatsApp, Viber
Don't respect privacy or anonymity
>Signal
Doesn't respect anonymity
>Wire
Same as Signal but doesn't need a SIM card

Best options in order:
Ring/Jami, Briar, TRIfA, Threema, miniVector/Riot.im

>Telegram
AHAHHAHAHA
>WhatsApp
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
>Viber
AHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAAHAHAHHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAA
>Signal
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA OH MY GOD YOU'RE KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1528565238895.jpg (320x238, 24K)

Thanks user, I'll look into those. It's gonna be tough getting people I know to use them though.

Thanks user, I'll look into those. It's gonna be tough getting people I know to use them though.

>Threema
shill detected. Not open source.

>not open source
Irrelevant. It was audited and it can be used anonymously. It's much better than Telegram, Signal and Wire, which are either partially or fully open sourced.

>irrelevant
It's not irrelevant. The thing is a black box, you can't say it respects your anonymity or security if you can't see what is doing

>Are there any instant messenger programs for Android that respect user's privacy?
yes
>good
no

>a java app which you can effortlessly decompile and recompile and test is a true blackbox
It's good enough for normies anyways.

>used by major industry companies
>used by the swiss federal government
>audited, whitepaperd, transparency reports available
i get why they don't open source the client itself, but yet they are still using open source encryption components and since they should not be compromised, i don't ask for more.

>says Telegram and co don't respect privacy
>suggests riot.im
What did he mean by this?

You want privacy , send a letter via the post office.

>muh Swiss cheese! J-just decompile it!!
The absolute state of Thr**ma shills

Nothing that isn't open source.
Signal is the easy drop in replacement for mobile SMS , open source and has lots of features including voice and video. End to end encryption verifiable. Yes they still need a phone number ( VoIP is fine) to act as an account and they have a server somewhere, but they are far better than most other options and have already released an alpha for running a server.
Wire is similar but no phone number an overall excellent Skype or similar messenger replacement.

Matrix.org and clients for it like Riot are the federated open source Slack or Discord style messenger.

Really all of the above are solid and have their strengths and weaknesses but they're all open source with end to end encryption , easy to use , and lots of feature.

Ring/Jami, Briar, XMPP etc...are all also possible but are either not ready for use by non tech users, limited feature sets, harder to set up etc... depends.

Telegram isn't open source and needs a literal spyware to be used. Riot.im and Matrix are open source and can be used anonymously and on any Matrix operator. Are you fucking dumb?

>Signal is far better than anything
Except literally everything recommended here Ring and XMPP aren't difficult to use, you idiot. Their setup is literally choose your username and password and you're done.

Snapchat, some parents of a British kid who was killed, their daughter was then harassed by maybe the killer or his mates and they didn't give the location or any details of alleged snapchatter she was just told to block the accounts

Attached: 1554092630914.jpg (918x719, 42K)

Signal and or Wire are better than any proprietary messengers ( you totally discredit yourself including threema) and any of the major non federated open source options. I'm also talking about ease of use features and experience. As I said Matrix is better as it is open source and federated but not as smoothly used and there is big variation between client features . It will make it in time just how others like Signal have improved.

Jami needs lots of work to be usable by normies. Audio quality and connection time is for shit, difficult userids and multiple types of account such as SIP vs Jami p2p. Encryption and other features are lacking but they're coming along just not ready yet . XMPP depends on the server and clients in terms of feature and can be complex for no technical users. This is not to say it's a bad tech but it's literally from a different time like Mumble or IRC and trying to get people off fucking facebook wechat , discord and others means both tech features and accessibility.

Signal, Wire, Matrix are the best at the moment

there already is xmpp, stop reinventing shit, you stupid niggers

Stop shilling (((Signal))) it's a fucking scam.

It doesn't matter. Any app is useless if the majority of your family and friends is not using it.

In that sense, any open source super crypto shit is great for privacy since you'll hardly talk to anyone on such networks.

It's useless even if they do because normies have spyware on OS level and a fuck ton of spyware apps like Facebook which have been caught taking personal info and screenshots while the app runs in background.

>>Signal
>Doesn't respect anonymity
How?

Minor issues:
The app is hosted on the play store so you have to self-compile it.
The website is behind Cloudflare.
Major issue:
The app requires a UNIQUE phone number which you can't get without an ID in some countries. Even if you can the number reveals which country you're in. Buying a SIM on a black market is retarded.
Compare this to Matrix, XMPP, Ring, Tox, Briar and even Threema which don't need anything to sign in and can be used fully anonymously with no effort. Even Wire lets you log in using email, though it has the issue of metadata collection.

>effortlessly decompile and recompile
Are you actually saying that you can effortlessly get the original code from any Java app?
Are you really this fucking retarded?

>it's safe and respects my privacy because government and companies use it
Do you also think Windows respects your privacy?
>audited
Literally irrelevant when dealing with a non open source project even if you trust the auditing process which you shouldn't.

>he doesn't know what decompile means
Stop posting. You can recompile the app and use it.

You can't analyze the fucking source you retard.
It is, in every way that matters, a black box. You have to TRUST the developers because you cannot audit yourself

>Best options in order:
>Ring/Jami, Briar, TRIfA, Threema, miniVector/Riot.im

How popular are these? I installed Briar a while back but no one I know used it so I just removed it

Wire is gutt. Too bad nobody uses it.

Attached: 1553994828412.jpg (622x1000, 752K)

Gotta evangelize, user. Can't just expect people to start using it. Get your friends on it.

Yeah, you are right.

the main problem is who the fuck uses them
what of your friends will use a single app just to talk to them?

WhatsApp for international chatting, imessage for the rest
fucking neets

>Ring/Jami
Why the fuck is this app endorsed by the FSF but doesn't function without microphone and camera access? Can I not enable them when I want to/need to?

Fucking Stallman has lost his shit.

Stll better than Wire, and its metadata whoring...
Whats more, it's nice altrrnative for normies for Messagner and Whatsapp

I don't understand why you have problem with giving phone number even dummy prepaid one, than giving email address, while latter is more prone to stealing your data.

Use telegram. It's the best messenger

Signal has APK hosted on its official website page.

What about XMPP and OTR (or whatever OTR's replacement is called these days)?

How come LINE is so popular in Asia, but non existent in the West?
Is it better than whatsapp?

this

Signal has the best protocol while also being normie friendly

Attached: lxFDD-4n.png (512x512, 24K)

Telegram

Meh, I use Telegram. It's good enough.
But if you want to do shady shit, Wire.
> Signal
It's shit. When you have to use your fucking phone number... it's just shit.

that always worked on PC, I used Jabber/XMPP + Pidgin + OTR for like 5 year daily. But that's only comfy on PC. I tried to use it on phone, but due to how keys behave, it was extremely clunky.

not OP just a user.

this
>homebrewed unaudited cryptography by some russian guy is better than giving your phone number
top kek user

>shady shit
>wire
They keep metadata. Using Wire, Signal or Telegram for something that's illegal is retarded.

Is there any secure and anonymous messenger for android that also has video calls? Must be normie usable, otherwise it is useless. I use wire atm, but Im reading here it keeps metadata, what do they keep, where can I read more about it?

Why would you want to use some obscure message client if nobody uses those? You do realize the objective is to talk to other people, not yourself, right?

Signal > Wire per security and privacy reasons,
but whatever, they both good alternatives, as they completely Open-Source,
not like Wickr

Signal - "Does the app encrypt metadata? = YES"
Wire - "Does the app encrypt metadata? = MOSTLY"
Source: securemessagingapps.com/

Signal - "Does the company log timestamps/IP addresses? = NO"
Wire - "Does the company log timestamps/IP addresses? = SOME"
Source: securemessagingapps.com/

Signal - "Profile information = STORED; CLIENT-SIDE ENCRYPTED"
Wire - "Profile information = STORED; NOT CLIENT-SIDE ENCRYPTED"
Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients#Secure_messengers

Signal - "Chat metadata = NOT STORED"
Wire - "Chat metadata = STORED"
Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients#Secure_messengers

Signal - "Profile information = NOT STORED"
Wire - "Contact lists = STORED"

"Wire - Caution: The company keeps a list of all the users you contact until you delete your account."
Source: privacytools.io/#voip

P.S. If you care about needing phone number to register, just get free pre-paid even internet one and forget about it.

"In May 2017, Motherboard published an article saying that the Wire servers "keep a list of all the users a customer contacted until they delete their account". Wire Swiss confirmed that the statement was accurate, saying that they keep the data in order to "help with syncing conversations across multiple devices", and that they might change their approach in the future."

Source: motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvzw5x/secure-messaging-app-wire-stores-everyone-youve-ever-contacted-in-plain-text

"Wire maintains the following metadata about conversations on the backend
servers:
•Creator: The user who created the conversation.
•Timestamp: The UTC timestamp when the conversation was created.
•Participants list: The list of users who are participants of that conver-
sation and their devices. This information is used by clients to display
participants of the group and to perform end-to-end encryption between
clients (see Wire Security Whitepaper for further details).
•Conversation name: Every user can name or rename a group conversation."

Source: wire-docs.wire.com/download/Wire Privacy Whitepaper.pdf#subsection.3.2

"In December 2016, Wire's whitepapers were reviewed by a security researcher at the University of Waterloo. The researcher praised Wire for its open approach to security, but identified serious issues that still need addressing. These included a man-in-the-middle attack on voice and video communications, possible audio and video leakage depending on unspecified codec parameters, the fact that all user passwords are uploaded to Wire's servers, significant attack surface for code replacement in the desktop client, and the fact that the server is not open sourced. The researcher described the security of Wire as weak in comparison to Signal, but also depicted its problems as surmountable."

Source: crysp.uwaterloo.ca/opinion/wire/

>BLA BLA BLA, it's jsut meta-data.
No, it's fucking no. It's TRACKING mechanism.

Source:
ssd.eff.org/en/module/why-metadata-matters
labs.rs/en/metadata/

the problem is literally every program that respects user privacy is faggolicious and for retards, thus you'll never get anyone using them

this + pgp

This. Try getting normies to install anything else. Out of all the encrypted comms. out there I've had the best luck getting family and friends to install signal. Easy, secure, multiplatform and vetted. Anyone saying not to use any one of these tools without a recommendation sounds like a sub-saharan bioluminescent faggot.

Based. Signal is the best drop in replacement for SMS, video and phone calls.

Why the fuck are you comparing Signal to Wire and implying that Signal is better? Your communication is equally well protected on both platforms and that's the only thing that matters to most people. Wire is just more convenient because it lets you use email instead of having to buy a SIM card.
Signal can immediately uniquely identify you because it needs a fucking phone number which is more dangerous metadata than "muh they store IP". If FBI wanted to track you on Wire they'd need to make sense of the metadata which takes more effort than just looking up who owns the SIM card or where the SIM card is active. Both messengers are UTTER SHIT if you want anonymity. Especially when you consider that Signal is hosted in the fucking states.
>get a free internet phone number hurr
You can't. It needs to be unique. You can't register the same number for multiple accounts. All the free ones are already taken either by drug dealers or bots.

Ring and TRIfA.

You're telling me you dont text, make phone calls or video chat people? You cant use ring for everything.

The fuck are you talking about?

Someone email Stallman about this pls

>having to buy a SIM card
It's app for mobile sperglord, no wonder why it need mobile number and SIM card. It's more convenient that way for normies, then registering by email.

It's literally the same shit for normies. Stop thinking everyone has 20 IQ. People have gmail and register to Facebook with it just fine.

> it was audited
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Can you change your login details (password) with phone number you use for account on signal?

any matrix client