I just acquired this old PC. Upon first boot, I see that it’s got a 933MHz P3 and 128MB of RAM...

I just acquired this old PC. Upon first boot, I see that it’s got a 933MHz P3 and 128MB of RAM. It currently has RHEL 6.2 on it, but I don’t know any of the passwords. What current distro can I put in this without bogging the old girl down? I would like a GUI. I just want something to fuck around with. It doesn’t have a purpose yet.

Attached: 0CCBE759-6924-4D33-A91D-0F1C0656DA7A.jpg (4032x3024, 2.54M)

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/legacyoslinux/
itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/
amazon.com/Aneew-Secure-Digital-40Pin-Adapter/dp/B074RG66ZV
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's the point? Specially with Linux.
I'd understand that you have old software/games that require specific hardware, but Linux? It's too inefficient for anything practical with Linux and no different than modern AMD64 running Linux.

Tinfoil Hat Linux

it's basically a paperweight. hope you didn't pay for it

Nooo, it's a rare old computer. Vintage!

Don't bother.

You are honestly better off without a GUI. Install and minimal distribution or unifonically Gentoo.

Couldn’t you just load up win98 and have it run alright? at 128mb ram i’m not sure any modern GUI based os would be able to run.

>it's basically a paperweight
Wrong. Old computers can be used today just as they were used in the past. It's only a paperweight if everything you wish to do requires a newer computer.

it's a paperweight. it was shit when it was new. it won't support a newer os and the os's that it will run are all laggy shit. there's a reason things advanced

Well you could always play muh gaymes on it and put Win2k on it and play Touhou.
Something like Slackware or Gentoo might work though.

>It currently has RHEL 6.2 on it
> 933MHz P3 and 128MB of RAM
Holy macaroni, and no GUI? I mean, CentOS 6 is still supported, so that guy probably knew what he was doing.

>it was shit when it was new
So is everything today.

true but they're less shit than old shit

Nah, it's all just the same shit. Just because it can't play 4k in a browser today, doesn't mean it was any more shit turning it's time. Just like todays shit won't be able to cope with shit 20 years from now.

so because todays shit won't be able to cope in twenty years we should pretend something old that was shit when it was new somehow wasn't shit and isn't even more shit now?

Because shit from that time was just as shit as shit from today is today and will always be shit and always was shit.😃

that's what the shit I'm saying man. shit

shit man, shit

hello butthurt contrarian angry that nobody cared about his new ryzen shitbox in the guts thread #6294

>mocking ryzen

windows 95/98

nah i’m mocking you because you probably have nothing interesting or otherwise worth making a thread about and are obviously butthurt that someone else is getting more attention than you

You cant even browse the web on those specs anymore.

>computers are only facebook terminals
the absolute state of “technology” forums in 2019

I shitpost here from hardware like OP’s all the time, it’s mostly just web apps and media-soma that suck ass and no functioning human being should be wasting their time and resources on those anyway. Use your phone or TV to jerk off like normal people.

I can browse Jow Forums in a 133mhz Pentium MMX with 32mb ram though

It's not "more shit". That all depends on what you use it for and how. You can easily use old computers productively in many ways even if their specs are shit in comparison with new computers. Obviously you can't use old computers with programs made for newer computers, but that's a stupid way to assess usability.

I didn't even make the thread...

wrong you faggot. Running 18.10 on my P3

but can you post? Links2 and Lynx and impossible to post with, just lurk and it is ironically better this way

>I don’t know any of the passwords
This has been mentioned uncounted times here, but you can add
init=/bin/bash
to the kernel command line to boot into a shell instead of the standard init system, mount the root filesystem writeable using
mount -o remount,rw /
and then reset at least the root password with passwd as usual.

It would make a good Win9x gaming rig. If it has an ISA slot it would be pretty good for late DOS games, too.

Why would you use those? Proper browsers for 95/NT3.5 and up work just fine with Jow Forums and the noscript captcha. Up until Let’s Encrypt shit all over the internet I could browse most of my usual sites quite easily from my Pentium Pro boxes, and I’ll probably be able to do that again when I get a proxy set up.

Install Freedos

Attached: FreeDOS _ The FreeDOS Project.png (600x600, 37K)

He has a computer, not a boat anchor.

That's a dope case.
Given it's P3, it's probably a standard ATX.
I would use it with a newer hardware.

get at least 512MB of RAM if you want to run anything from this century

Arch x86 with windowmaker.
You can use QtWeb i386 portable for web browsing.
Also, don't try to install gentoo, I spent a week compiling llvm on a similar machine with twice the RAM.

Attached: cirno_penguin.jpg (480x577, 34K)

install something minimal like arch linux or debian minimal
then install a very light window manager like i3/sway or awesome-wm
and now you can get nvim or nano or whatever, modify them to your hearts content, and get a minimal developer box!

Attached: 1536060609188.jpg (720x528, 104K)

Install Freedos.

Install Freedos.✔️

I have Legacy OS installed on my P3 machine. It's designed specifically to run on old machines. sourceforge.net/projects/legacyoslinux/
It is a bit choppy by todays standards but it's a fucking P3 what to you expect.

Attached: 1.jpg (1024x768, 184K)

It was free
Thanks for the tip, but this was pulled from a medical setting and in order to comply with HIPAA I have to pull the HDD for destruction.
I was surprised to find a mATX board with only two PCI slots, unfortunately.
Thanks for the warning about Gentoo compile times, I won’t even bother

It seems like having anything pre-Pentium 4 is tough to work with in modern platforms because of the lack of the SSE2 instruction set.

Tiny Core Linux. Also install more RAM.

just use windows 98 it runs natively on pentuim 3

or better yet give it to me.

you can do anything if you stick to cli

ditch communist OS, install windows 98SE💯

Attached: snapshot_16.09_[2016.12.23_02.55.45].png (1920x1080, 2.66M)

Yeah, it's not worthwhile to try to shove anything current on it. Just set it up with 98 or NT4 and experiment with cool commercial abandonware, play old games or just generally enjoy something different that isn't just a shittier, slower version of the exact same thing a $5 core 2 duo machine does literally 50 times better.

Would be a fun candidate for experimenting with alternative operating systems too, older Linux distributions, BeOS, Plan 9, etc.

This. And then play Diablo

R u ok?

have you installed a Linux distro or old windows yet? If not, check these out: itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

I have an old compaq presario sr1265cl I found by a dumpster I've been meaning to install bodhi on. Or one of those other distros if that doesn't work

Also, I learned about this from LGR, it allows you to turn an SD card into a hard drive with a PCI slot: amazon.com/Aneew-Secure-Digital-40Pin-Adapter/dp/B074RG66ZV

Got that and some ram coming in the mail currently

Attached: 1553895594596.jpg (1080x1080, 66K)

not PCI slot, I meant IDE

Tiny Core Linux, it can run on it and has a GUI.

>An absolute minimum of RAM is 46mb. TC won't boot with anything less, no matter how many terabytes of swap you have.
>Microcore runs with 28mb of ram.
>The minimum cpu is i486DX (486 with a math processor).

>A recommended configuration:
>Pentium 2 or better, 128mb of ram + some swap

Yeah I really should. It’s certainly cheap enough. I wonder how much the motherboard supports... 2x512 kits seem to be really common but I’m not sure if the motherboard would even support a 512 module

Install Windows 98 SE and use it for retro PC vidya

You'd be better off with a CompactFlash adapter. You don't even need third party drivers since CF cards identify as and function as IDE drives.

I tried this but it's way pickier than it sounds. You can't use just any chinkshit adapter because they can't even wire them up right and you can get weird behavior. Also you can't just use any card because some of them absolutely will not ID as a fixed disk even with firmware tools and some OSes won't play nice with that.
SD card adapters straight-up emulate an IDE drive so they ironically don't have those issues. The problem is they're slow as balls compared to any good CF card.

I'd say Debian stable with a minimal install, throw openbox or some other lightweight WM on it.

Just do a 'yum update' and you'll be at v6.10. Not the latest, greatest, but at least it's still supported for security fixes. You can always add a GUI via the same method. Google is your friend (CentOS works just as well).

This, sometimes I wish I could play MAME.