Puts all the most used letters in optimal positions

>Puts all the most used letters in optimal positions
>Easy to switch
>Faster than QWERTY
>Proven to be better than both QWERTY and DVORAK
>Reduces RSI
>Prevents normal fags using your computer
Why aren't you using it Jow Forums

Attached: colemak_heatmap__to_build_a_fire.jpg (700x324, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/MadRabbit/halmak
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because I'd have to swap the keyboards of my desktop, laptop, phone and workplace computer. Non-qwerty is for basement autists.

What if I used nothing but AZERTY?

>Change keyboard in software once on those devices
>carry around portable keyboard layout on usb for use on PCs other than those
>learn correct touch typing method so you never need to actually rearrange keys physically
I don't see the problem, user

See

In that case you should consider suicide

Attached: 1553507924526.jpg (785x822, 266K)

/thread

this level of cope

tfw up to 40 wpm on colemak

or live in France or Belgium

frenchfag detected, kys you and your stupid azerty. it's like you're preventing yourself from working abroad

its literally easy as fuck you retard, takes like 5 minutes for a major WPM boost

literally this, there is no reason to use AZERTY, for a small boost in WPS you turn yourself into a 10 WPM retard if you ever work abroad

> autism intensifies

Why would I want to change my keyboard? That's just a pain in the ass.

literally you making excuses for your shitty layout

to not get RSI and to type faster of course user

>user, can i use your computer?
this way i know you're a virgin. It's fucking simple: if you have time to do all kind of unnecessary customization shit, you're a neet and an autist. You know when I realized this? When I got a job and I had to be efficient in order to have free time.

WPM does not matter as much, unless you are a secretary or a typist. A good programmer spends more time reading and designing reusable code than churning out boilerplate. Also, tab completion and snippets exist. If you are neither of the 2 mentioned above or similar, then you literally don't need to care about WPM beyond being faster than your grandparents.

how are you this Autistic? You can still type with QWERTY at work until you're proficient with Colemak
No but what if I'm not a programmer, or am a programmer and want to reduce RSI

Please be bait. You realize you can use you own kb, right ? You realize that, even when given a QWERTY laptop, you can still change your kb settings, right ?
>still looking at your kb
I shiggy.

DRY, create macros, snippets, templates and scripts to reduce your typing amount.

exactly this, these faggots still look at their keyboards, literally if you need to look at your keyboard you not typing correctly

vim

literally just install the Colemak bindings for vim

My most used letters are hjkl.

I'm not going to relearn 15 years of muscle memory to use a meme keyboard

because like most mid-20 year olds I learned how to type playing video games, so shit's fucked

Where are the nordic letters on this layout?

you know that AZERTY is internationally know for being fucking shit right?
rebind the keys in whatever meme software you're using
If you learnt typing naturally you're doing it wrong, learn it again
No, but the person who got me into Colemak needed to type those too, and could with ease

>learn it again

What am I doing wrong dip? I know where all my keys are for what I want to type while resting on the home row. Why would I throw all my muscle memory and fast typing away?

God damn I'm sick of you children posting your stupid meme shit here 24/7

>have to change every single device you use
>have to carry extra stuff
>have to relearn another keyboard layout nobody uses for a marginal increase in wpm at best and lower wpm if you have to use a qwerty keyboard from a computer that is not yours
>I don't see the problem, user

what about all the video games I play? It's a pain in the ass to rebind everything, I'd rather spend time learning haskell than learning colemak

it is really simple to just change the layout in software. How often do you need to type on someone elses PC?

This. If your job involves non-stop typing without ever taking a moment to think you should worry about improving your two digit IQ and get a better job rather than your WPM.

>swaps keyboards for changing layouts
You cannot seriously be that so tech illiterate to type while looking at your keyboard... right? Even my girlfriend is just fluent in both our local layout and EN_US, switching layouts on the fly.

Sorry if "even someone female is well capable in tech" is considered as an insult over there, it is just very so normal to me, not insulting, whatsoever.

what if I speak more than one language?

Sometimes you need to type with one hand. Don't know about you, but I never had the free time to learn touch typing with only one of either.

I've used Colemak before for weeks at a time so it's not like I can't learn it. It's just that I use QWERTY all the time, partly because QWERTY is used in most places, and I see no reason to not use QWERTY all of the time.

Alt Gr + q/w/r/p/z. Not ideal if you need to type them a lot, but it works.

Attached: colemak_alt_gr.png (694x186, 8K)

IT guy so quite often

STOP BULLYING ME
everyone is already making fun of my country and for too long I was stuck with "we are the only one to do this technology" for some reason
It's not fair /jee/

i prefer aoeu

I've recently started up with Neo v2.
Wish me luck. I wish my keyboard had suitable keycaps.

It should make for easier coding, as that was one of its main goals - programming on a QWERTZ keyboard is uncomfortable and QWERTY simply sucks for normal writing.

>muscle memory
>switching between layouts
Imagine being so autistic that you lack the neuroplasticity to even learn new movement patterns and dynamically switch between multiple keyboard layouts.

Dvorak user here, ask me anything.
Don't make the switch. You can't go back.

I'm too lazy.

>Using a keyboard with more than 2 caps

Peak efficiency is a 2 cap system. Shift, and an action key. Hold the shift key, and then press the action key a certain number of times to get your desired character. Starts with abcde etc, followed by ABCDE... followed by special characters. Now these are generated in a random order each time, to stop character elitism, so it's sort of a question of luck. Generally I like to stick with whatever character it gives me. Adds a bit of variation into my dull life. This has only taken me, 4 hours to write, so lets see if the thread has 404'd yet.

How long would it take to develop muscle memory with a new layout, such that you can touch type at about 70 wpm. Also, is it even worth it, or is it just an autists way of being edgy and unique. Lastly, if you do learn a second layout, how easy is it to switch between QWERTY and whatever you decide to learn?

As long as learning piano desu

No idea, it wouldn't take me more than a month or two, but I'm someone who does things with his off-hand purely because it's fun to learn new and unusual movement patterns.

You can easily switch if you learn "touch typing" on one layout and "hunt and peck" on the other

Using anything but qwerty makes your typing skill not very universal and "portable" to other machines.
Sadly, even if colemak is more efficient the only way to make it popular is establishing an international standard.
So we are probably cucked for life. :/

It depends on how much you do exercises to learn it. I always refused to learn how to touch type and now I'm learning Maltron lefty and I can tell I get better only after doing their practice exercises

Seems like a load of ARS to me bud.

the R and S keys should have been swapped so that S stayed in its qwerty location.
Don't (you) me.

I've tried before and it's just such a pain in the ass. Not the learning to type part, that's easy. If anything switching layouts will help you learn to touch type properly since you're forced to not look at the keys. It only took me a few days on colemak before I surpassed my qwerty abilities (which are pretty shit). The problem is support. Keybindings can become awkward. God forbid if you run into something that doesn't have rebinding and the defaults are shit in colemak, not to mention you can't rely on muscle memory for keybindings as much and it can be hard to remember where a key is when your pinky is on ctrl instead of the homerow. If you can rebind them you run into problems with programs telling you a keybinding is the old one because developers are idiots, not to mention cheat sheets are essentially useless now. And then there's the massive issue of using other computers if you have to. It's easier to just live with qwerty, even if it is shit.

Im pretty sure colemak was designed in a way that you could still use the major keybinds with ease. I switched from qwerty to colemak and havent had any trouble with normal keybinds.

Because QWERTY is left hand optimized and I'm left handed. COLEMAK is strongly right hand optimized.

>your a faggot
>qwerty: 5 keys on home row
>colemak: 5 keys on home row
Looks like nothing at all.

based. I don't think qwerty users are trying to pass it off as better than colemak or dvorak, but for the vast majority of people it simply isn't worth switching given all of the headaches that come with it in the world of computing that is built around qwerty. It's a case of 'It's good enough'.

Attached: Reading is for fags.gif (492x284, 1.36M)

>Sometimes you need to type with one hand.
not everyone masturbates on the job

Thank you for elucidating us on your employment situation.

Yeah, that's not ideal at all. I type them very often, since I spend half my time programming and the other half e-mailing clients.
Scandis are just doomed to not use anything but QWERTY.

Took me 1 month to get up to 70wpm on colemak-dh and have been using it for 5 months now. I always stayed with qwerty on mobile and I tried typing on qwerty on my pc yesterday and achieved about 30wpm.
Pretty sure I'll be able to get qwerty up to 70 in some days which I'm gonna try to do

>not workman

>tfw live in flanders and speak dutch but AZERTY is the most used/sold layout here despite most keys being useless for this part of the country
t-thanks

Attached: PSX_20190403_104931.jpg (1920x1080, 149K)

Someone needs to make keyboard for developers. Unlike normal people we also use :;()![]{}|\/+-& and those fuckers are always in stupid place.

I'm not using it on the sole basis that I am not fucking re-learning how to type for the sake of "Uhhh muh ged two moar words per minute with this keyboard hurrrr, normies btfo"

70wpm is a really terrible goal when I already write 130 in QWERTY.

This is such a stupid idea. It's like switching all the outlets in your American house to a European outlet because you read they're superior.

literally no reason not to use Colemak then, all the keys for typing Dutch are there and Dutch and English are similar making Colemak also Dutch optimized

>two moar words
try 30, nigger

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (250x248, 15K)

So you can type 30 words more per minute. Who cares? Are you an author? Shit is pointless.

I can do that, which means overall I'm typing for a far shorter amount of time, additionally I no longer get wrist strain or anything else like that, btw it took me less than 2 weeks to hit an acceptable speed with Colemak

Not really, due to all the other issues and non standardization.

I'm already having problems from using a Mac at my new job where the command key is not at the corner, while my windows pc the ctrl key is in the corner. I can't imagine how much switching every single letter around would fuck everything up.

>Mac
user, Macs support Colemak out of the box

Trying to use the built in options to switch the control key was so fucking cumbersome I switched it back and live with the descrepency.

>Go into built in macOS settings app
>Keyboard
>Layout
>Colemak
Are you this fucking lazy, user?

Did you read my post? I already switched the control key before, and that was a grueling expirience with 2 keys. 32 sounds like a nightmare.

Colemak? You might as be using QWERTY! Halmak is the only keyboard layout designed by machine learning trained on a modern English corpus and achieves nearly maximum typing efficiency.

Just look at the numbers:
* QWERTY - 0% (base line)
* Dvorak - +77%
* Colemak - +84%
* Workman - +101%
* Halmak - +134%

Start using Halmak today! Your hands will thank you. github.com/MadRabbit/halmak

Attached: screenshot.png (1471x495, 50K)

desu it would ruin my data entry job if i changed keyboards :^)
not allowed to bring in your own at work (would've brought one with macro keys to help me do stuff faster) so i would have to constantly use both layouts and i bet that fucks with ur brain :^)
t. unemployed
How long did it take you to learn DVORAK?
Is it really so good that you'd never use QWERTY again? How has it affected your personal and professional life?

>Peak efficiency is a 2 cap system. Shift, and an action key. Hold the shift key, and then press the action key a certain number of times to get your desired character. Starts with abcde etc, followed by ABCDE... followed by special characters. Now these are generated in a random order each time, to stop character elitism, so it's sort of a question of luck. Generally I like to stick with whatever character it gives me. Adds a bit of variation into my dull life. This has only taken me, 4 hours to write, so lets see if the thread has 404'd yet.
Nice dubs. Didn't expect to get my daily kek from Jow Forums
I guarantee any dvorak/colemak/azerty faggots would be btfo by me in typeracer. aiming for 70wpm what cucks lmao.

>sole basis
mmmm....soles....

Attached: gtechnology.jpg (1288x2276, 311K)

Why in the ever loving fuck should I switch to another layout and throw away literally 20 years of muscle memory? With this layout I can do 10 finger typing, ~80 WPM, and so on.

The central issue is that QWERTY is a good enough standard and has been for more than a century. Going against that standard means huge lack of support, as a prime example. But if you *ever* want more legit support, you have to show your layout is at least a viable alternative, and due to the lack of any (non-theoretical) studies on the supposed benefits of using a non-QWERTY layout, you're just left with hearsay and "lel works for me, so it'll work for everyone!!!"

underrated comparison

>good enough
that's where you faggots are wrong. QWERTY is not even qualifiable as "good", much less as "good enough". Just because something is standard it doesn't mean that it's "good enough" - which also means that it being standard should not imply that everyone should be using it. If something standard is dogshit - and everyone who cares clearly sees it - it should be immediately changed for something better.

Even Linus Torvalds explicitly ignores the C """"standard"""" when it goes against common sense and messes up with his code, rightfully so.

Nevertheless, I've been using colemak for quite a lot of time and I find it better than QWERTY - which is not that impressive. IMO what should be done is ISO ammassing all of the known text written in latin-letter languages proportionately to its speakers and users and run it through whatever algo github.com/MadRabbit/halmak proposing, possibly with some changes; then putting the outcome of the above on a kinesis/ergodox-like layout, and declaring it *one* *true* *only* fucking standard for the entire planet. Because fuck RSI and fuck the staggered row keyboard layout.

How fucking stupid are you? Learn the new key placement and your hands will thank you

*ding ding ding*
*ahem*

Attached: jannies.png (650x216, 38K)

Because I'm not a secretary and wpm barely matters for programming.

I tried but it sucked with two keys.

based frog

Only a problem in English. Many keyboard layouts are frequency-optimized from the start.

Attached: 600px-KB_Russian.svg.png (600x200, 24K)

Upsell me colemak
Dvorak user here

>uppercase-only comma

Attached: 29667955.jpg (500x374, 108K)

jiuken/jcuken was introduced decades before gommunism though

>Even my girlfriend

lel

>Just because something is standard it doesn't mean that it's "good enough"
No, it's good enough precisely because it's standard.

Attached: 3d4.jpg (600x606, 35K)

>12 hours a day on computer
>6 while playing games
>nowhere close to RSI
i guess i have superior genes, dvorakfags btfo