Ruby appreciation thread

what's the last thing you used ruby for and why

Attached: ruby.png (995x996, 192K)

Other urls found in this thread:

crystal-lang.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Never used or learned it as I thought that Lua and Python were enough for me (regarding interpreted dynamic languages..)

Isn't it dying anyway as Python beat the shit out of it?

Ruby hasn't done anything new in years, except for some basic performance improvements. Python evolves every single day (not always for the better, mind you).

>Isn't it dying anyway as Python beat the shit out of it?
Where did you get that from?
Ruby is anything but abandonware and the performance greatly improves with every update.

Python is a mess compared to ruby (python3 != python2, shitty forced indentation, mix of oop and functional programming)

Ruby doesn't need to do anything new. It already has all the fanciness one might need for a scripting language.
It only needs perf now.

Dude I'd love to trust you but I've tried to learn so many fucking languages that I realized that only about 2-3 are actually useful or are some that I actually enjoy

I don't want to force myself to think "oh well Python is shit, I'll learn Ruby now" just to search for a job and see that everybody wants JS/Java/Python/C#

its hardly dead, check the job stats. Rails is alive and kicking inb4 without rails ruby would probably be dead but thats not the case

fellow men of culture :smug_pepe:

i would give it a try, it has a lot of things python doesnt (even though python devs will tell you its sooo easy to emulate them with a dictionary or nested ifs etc. my answer to that is why should i have to)

I don't use ruby at work, well not exactly. Sometimes I use ruby to automate tasks, for example, morphing data, cleaning up files, sometimes even writing code in other languages. That's not too often though. Mostly I use Ruby to make my computer do what I want it to when I have something more complicated than bash, a file manager, or a spreadsheet can solve. Ruby was never meant to be an infrastructure language. It was always meant to be the nicest way to write some quick code that does something for you.

rails assignment for uni. bloatmaxx

dont blame rails for your shit code ;)

why do you think top websites don't use it? because it's bloat
>twitter
doesn't use it

"top websites" is one of the worst programming argument ever.
Top websites have much bigger requirements in terms of everything. Such sites build their own frameworks, languages and interpreters.

How do you even hope to compete when
crystal-lang.org/
Does everything you do, only better?

no libs

twitter is the most famous site to use it you brainlet

yeah and they don't use it anymore

Attached: twitter_fail_whale-1-730x276.png (730x276, 169K)

Elixir is better.

Give them a year and they'll have everything you have. Great web frameworks are already there.

I love the syntax of ruby, but I don’t see a reason to learn or use ruby considering python is the standard now and I can do everything in it that I can do in ruby.

I doubt it has all the syntax sugar and features of Ruby.
Also:
>compiled

And Ruby will get proper JIT soon.

>python is the standard now
Is it really? And if yes, then which one? 2, 3?

yeah you can do everything you can do in python in ruby, switch/case.. ternary.. use symbols.. read your own code..

elixir is very nice, you cant compare the two really as one is pure OO and the other is pure functional

It has all the syntactic sugar and features of ruby. Name one you're missing. Protip: you can't because there are none
>compiled
Yes, because scripting langs are garbage

>Elixir
>Pure functional

Attached: 1516452376937.png (812x900, 36K)

>what
Write automated Selenium WebDriver autimated tests.
>why
The framework was already done in ruby. It is enjoyable though.

I used Ruby to write a quick-and-dirty SEO tool that computes keyword density for a webpage.