Whatever "the YouTube algorithm" is, what are your opinions on it?

Whatever "the YouTube algorithm" is, what are your opinions on it?
It concerns me on multiple levels.

Attached: 2019-04-04 18.10.02 www.youtube.com 8ce1df06feb6.png (1347x299, 323K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QbhkvX659hA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It sucks. It's all shrouded in mystery and isn't publicly auditable. Like for example trending. There have been times where videos from big companies with very few views will all of a sudden be "trending". It's really hard to say whether there's some weird algorithm that somehow puts stuff up there, or whether it's all a lie and the videos get handpicked by someone at Youtube.
And speaking of handpicking, with the recent scares over copyright, and particularly borderline-CP content on the platform, I've seen some say that Youtube needs to "do something", or manually go through stuff and stop the problems. The issue is that hundreds of videos get uploaded every minute, and i'm probably lowballing it. To manually check every video would be quite literally impossible at the size that Youtube is at. Once your platform gets to a certain size and complexity, you only have two options: automate with with an 'algorithm', or just make it a completely open and decentralized wild west.
Like think of Jow Forums. We can have jannies because there's only a set number of threads that can exist at one time on a board, and that is at a level that is mostly manageable by humans. Now imagine if threads never died. Every thread that ever existed on Jow Forums still open and accessible. That would be impossible to manage with personnel, and you would have to set up some machine learning shit to filter out rulebreaking content and just hope for the best.

I appreciate the input, and share the sentiment. It is a very strange construct, with large implications.

>Now imagine if threads never died
So... archives? I think they have more lenient legislation, though. Pretty sure instead of any form of moderation they just rely on people reporting illegal content.

i watched the dachshund water race. its realy funny

Are you sure that's the right "unny"?

> Gohan the husky
Its owner must be Korean.

I've got an account, and it's actually reasonably good at guessing what sort of things I might be in the mood to watch. I do get weird shit in my recommendations occasionally when I watch youtubers who dabble in political histrionics on the side, but usually clicking the "Not Interested/Don't show me videos from this channel" button is good enough.
> We can have jannies because there's only a set number of threads that can exist at one time on a board, and that is at a level that is mostly manageable by humans
yeah, imagine if Jow Forums was less concerned with free speech and actually moderated worth a damn, it would actually be a decent site.

Attached: 1550297832073.jpg (777x1033, 121K)

Same.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-04 (35) Larry finds out that his lawyer isnt really jewish - YouTube.png (648x82, 11K)

>Click a joe rogan clickbait vid but then close it once you realize you got baited.
>Every other recommendation is now 'Ben Shapiro Anally Defiles Helpless Libtard With Facts, Logic, and the Almighty Power of the Chosen People of Abraham'

Attached: le youtube girl.png (894x894, 190K)

>less concerned with free speech
No thanks. It's not that hard to sift through the garbage.

>once you realize you got baited
Anger.

Attached: WTF IS DIS REAL.jpg (570x547, 92K)

My account is over a decade old, so I get videos that actually interest me.
I only see the disgusting cancer shit that makes me want to murder everyone when I accidentally click "trending".

Same, I know when I've been logged out when my recommended videos are all garbage. Not to say the videos I watch aren't garbage, it just smells better to me.

>mfw I've hit the updoot limit and continue to updoot videos to feed the machine so it can create more mental clones
These algorithms are great when you feed them as much manipulated data as possible to indirectly weaponize their algorithms against them to shape society

This is the only art I can appreciate.
youtube.com/watch?v=QbhkvX659hA

Attached: youtube- time traveler.png (896x227, 108K)

>weaponize their algorithms against them to shape society
Please don't!

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-12 (42) Xiao Mei Mei - YouTube.png (435x557, 29K)

It's surprising how well it guesses what I might be interested in and still fucking puts Luke in there.

Attached: 1530593919343.png (832x415, 352K)

I treat it as entertainment so I get my entertainment. Some people revolve their entire lives over some bullshit websites. Pathetic.

Attached: 1539481559171.png (1252x424, 667K)

Don't bully.

Attached: animebullysniffinghair.png (701x753, 296K)

In the dark days before I discovered uBO, I remember getting Huggies adverts on Electric Wizard songs.
It's all completely broken.

Attached: huggies.jpg (999x999, 70K)

To be fair not disclosing how your algorithm works kind of makes sense. If youtube explained how it worked shitholes would try to manipulate it for views.

kek, bretty good user

It really makes me laugh when people talk about it casually.
>Yeah, I don't know. I put up the video and the algorithm liked it so it got a lot of views

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-11 YouTube.png (218x212, 73K)

I use a Video Blocker extension. Problem solved. I can block channels and never see them.

wondering how solid and pen tested these recs are,

would be funny to fuck with peoples recommended videos.

I've actually had friends and acquaintances tell me otherwise, and it took me years to understand where they were coming from.
Most people don't want free speech for free speech's sake, they just want to have conversations about specific topics or just to shoot the breeze. Think about it - why would you willingly have conversations in places where nobody can stop idiots from shitting up your thread or chatroom when there are alternatives where that's not as much of a problem.
I can think of only three categories of people, you're either a free speech fundamentalist, naive as hell, or you specifically want the freedom to act like an asshole or in bad faith without repercussions - which is pretty anticosial on its face when you think about it.

I mean that whole Adnasium thing is basically that for targetted ads. Big chaff dumper.

Attached: 2019-04-03 14.08.49 www.youtube.com 9f3888052de7.png (872x223, 72K)

>surfing the web with a browser that's tainted with algorithms for a commercial video site
consider contemplating it

>Paying for People's Food then Taking it Cause It's Mine
LEL