Why doesn't any other file manager have a tagging system?

Why doesn't any other file manager have a tagging system?

Attached: tags.jpg (800x496, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

alexandrupandelea.wordpress.com/2017/07/26/tags-in-nautilus/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Deepin file manager does have it

Attached: unnamed.png (837x622, 233K)

now we just need satania

Because other filesystems don't have tags.
As for why other filesystems don't have tags, that's because they're useless.

i'm deepin ur mom lmao

What other file managers do you have in mind?

Attached: if only there was another file manager with tagging.png (1032x664, 191K)

>someone made a tagging system for nautilus
>gnome devs rejected it
>they added "starred files" instead which is fucking useless
fucking gnome

That's not the same.
Link?

Tags are quite useful.

can you imagine not knowing about relational databases in 2019

L O L, jesus christ you boomer

alexandrupandelea.wordpress.com/2017/07/26/tags-in-nautilus/

Why do you use it?

Dolphin supports tags.

that's it I admit it Macs are the true masterrace

fedora package is broken :(

I use tags all the time to mark projects as finished etc. It's a great feature.

Tagging has been in Linux file managers and file systems for a long time. Actually, I think the first time I heard of this as a consumer feature was in the old Windows Longhorn goals, but of course it got scrapped from longhorn/Vista. However, around that time, it got implemented in kde at least. Extended attributes allow arbitrary metadata such as tags. I use filesystem level tags to sort images on btrfs. Of course, tagging can be inplemented on multiple levels, either the filesystem, the file format, a database, or as a side-by-side file (like each directory has a .tags file or each file has a hidden tags file)

>knowing almost nothing yet thinking the opposite
It been in windows since at least vista. What modern file manger doesn't have tags would be a less brainlet question. I don't know but I would assume since it's a old feature thats not at all special, all of the most likely.

>That's not the same.
You're right. It isn't the same, it does more though applying the tags is not as simple. You can see the tags as columns in details view, put whatever you like in them, search for them, and sort by them. That offers a lot more flexibility than tagging a file "red".

What you're talking about is editing metadata of file types that support it, like JPG, MP3 and so on. What OP is talking about is a file manager that adds its own kind of tags to any file or folder.

Neat feature but is useless to me because indexing doesn't work on network shares

B-)

>macfag makes post asking why Linux doesn't have some retarded niche feature
>immediately someone posts a pic of a distro having that feature
EVERY
SINGLE
TIME
You morons are Satania fodder.

mad cuz we make it better and you're all too much of niggerfaggots to make use of it

MacOS has the worst filesystem ever

ranger does, just write up a plugin in five minutes

how is it better? it's literally the same fucking thing

Honestly what’s the point of tagging?

What problem does it solve that a properly organized computer has?

Why do relational databases exist?

Why?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-26 15-34-06.png (1366x768, 520K)

IT'S A FEATURE NOT AVAILABLE IN VAST MAJORITY OF GNU PLUS LINUX FILE MANGERS AND CONFIGURATIONS THEREFORE YOU DO NOT NEED IT

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 56K)

Tell me, why do relational databases exist?

What is a rleational database?

Seethe

iTOODLERS BTFO

Attached: 1551612617498.gif (500x281, 1.6M)

>OP has never heard of folders

Folders are ancient technologies. Even MS knew this when it introduced libraries in Win7

Why?

No compression
No checksums for user data
Can’t use Time Machine with it

Cmon user

Suppose that in your pictures directory you have two images of landscapes. You want to put them in a landscapes directory to organize them, but one of the images is a photograph, the other a painting. You’d like to classify that too, so what are you gonna do? Create a landscapes/paitings and a landscapes/photographs directory, or are you gonna make a paintings/landscapes and a photographs/landscapes directory? Maybe you decide to make both, but then what? Are you gonna copy the files to both possible configurations? Or keep the files in one and symlink to the other? Which one should have the actual files? Or maybe you should put the images in a special directory from where they’re symlinked to both? Now you’re just forcing the filesystem into being a makeshift relational database.

Based and pajeetaniapilled

> fedora
> broken
It is Fedora, what do you expect. They'll fix it i the next release in half a year. Or not.

How about you just not be sutistic and have an Images folder and dump it in there. Just put it in the Images/Landscapes folder

It’s useful for collating different files on a unified topic, moreso when those files may be stored in different areas.
I think you’re right in that it doesnt surpass a well organised file system, but for the layman it can be useful.

Not other user but that’s when tagging is actually very useful. In your example you could just dump every picture you save online into one folder. Then by using tags, you could filter it down to paintings, landscapes, technology photos, memes etc.

Install KDE.

Attached: Screenshot_20190405_090830.png (919x569, 89K)

Attached: griz.jpg (1024x683, 94K)

no thanks, it's unbearable

Doesn't it take the same amount of time to tag something than just dump the picture into the right place

Point is, there is not one right place.

Aight, I get that. I guess I don't save that many pictures.

So are you're puns.

Attached: 1532359600861.gif (342x342, 777K)

Maybe if your doing so retroactively. But like says sometimes items belong in different areas at the same time.
Alright heres a contrived example, say your a neet from /a/ but you also love /h/. You sort all your manga into various folders, your anime into others. Likewise you put your hentai and your doujins neatly into other folders. Rather than manually go through all the subfolders, with tags you can pull up any content featuring say mechs, harem or whatever.

I’m with this guy. Then instead of devising of a folder scheme you have to devise a tagging scheme. What if you tag one image differently? How many tags is enough?

For that landscape image you were talking about are the tags just landscape and then the other landscape, painting?

What if it’s buy a specific painter do you put that as well? What about color? How many tags is enough? How many is too little?

Instead of a dozen folders now you have a hundred tags

Many tags is hardly a problem. Tagging schemes are also far less rigid and easier to change than directory schemes.

Not them but in windows you can tag anything, op is op.

KDE is based.

Tags aren’t OS agnostic

Directory schemes are just as flexible you just change the name

they are still just folders

Everytime macfags shitpost about some unique fagOS feature it turns out KDE has done it before. And better. And not gay.

fukn rekt

KDE's Dolphin has it.
I remember Thunar supporting it too.

What if I have a separate folder for cuckold, milf and interracial but download a video that is all three? Tags fix that problem.

Oh yeah, like the iconic global menu or split fullscreen, or processing files automatically when dropping them into a folder. Yeah, those apple bastards taking features from KDE.

This

>or processing files automatically when dropping them into a folder
Huh? Doesn’t every os do this?

Yeah what if you move to a different os? Tags aren’t interchangeable beteeen the different platforms since they all implement it differently

No? user, do you know what I'm talking about?

No actually

You're just retarded at simple compare and contrasting. You only need what you as the user would search for if you ever needed something. For example

>"Hmmm, I need pics of firearms"
>search firearms
>shows every firearm pic you have
>"But I need a specific firearm, maybe assault rifle"
>search assault rifle
>shows every assault rifle pic you have
>"ak-47 is just what I need"
You're basically google searching but much faster and without the need to type stuff out as most programs have the ability to drag and drop tags or click or other methods. And just like using google, you can also combine or omit searches. So you could want assault rifle+shotgun -12guage and you get both rifle+shotgun but no -12guage images.

Now if you only cared about the guns in the pic and not people who are also in the pic, maybe holding them. Then you don't bother making tags for them. Tags are for YOU and what you would want. While it can me helpful at times, tags aren't meant for loads of very detailed descriptions like hair color, teeth color, cloths brand or shit you normally wouldn't care about unless you REALLY care about that stuff.

Attached: 1532543741625.png (613x434, 36K)

Folders are a deprecated concept burrowed from physical file management.
That's gay.

Automated folders. You set a folder that does something specific (running a script on files, renaming them, converting them to a different format, adding them to a specific program or like 70 other fucking things) upon dragging or copying files there.

By default at least, on any popular distro you can't do that. On Windows that's not possible. Only way that it can work is if you have a program in the background monitoring a specific folder you point at, for one specific action.

Yeah but now you have to tag every single AEK-971 picture with firearm and aek instead of just saving it to it’s aek folder and being done with it.

Oh shit that’s cool what else can you do? I’m curious

Yeah but now you have to save every single AEK-971 picture to aek folder instead of just tagging it with firearm and aek and be done with it.

What I’m saying is now you have to enter three pieces of metadata and spend more time than dumping it in its proper folder which if you know where everything t was in a properly organized computer would save you time.

inotify should come bundled on linux, of course you have to write scripts yourself, no drag and drop for very simple things.
for simple scripts that take short amount of time to finish, macos watched folders are alright, for scripts that take long time to finish it's bad because it starts leaking memory for whatever reason, don't know if it has been fixed yet.

Upload it to Google photos and have them automatically tag it for you. That was easy.

or you could just have a proper filenaming convention, colored tags are retarded

>just use the botnet and give it your personal photos lol

>drag several firearm images over the "firearm" tag
>all images are tagged with "firearm"

or

>drag "firearm", "assault rifle", and "ak-47" tags over an image
>image is now tagged with "firearm","assault rifle", and "ak-47"

It just werks

Attached: 1534813818242.png (252x258, 37K)

I don't really care for colored tags either, text is better. Filenames are a makeshift solution as a metadata field, I know Unix weenies are really into approximating proper databases with hierarchical filesystems, but I'm not. I prefer the real thing.

Any sufficiently powerful and usable tag system would have support for tag implications, so you would only have to tag the AK-47 picture with "ak-47", "assault rifle" and "firearm" would be automatically implicated.

What’s a proper convention for filenames tell me

What’s the real thing?

A database.

in his example landscape_paintingXX, landscape_photoXX
then everything sorts well alphabetically

Because it's unusable to color blind people. Why not just tag it by putting it in a specific folder or adding [red] to the beginning of the filename?

For your personal pc? Isn’t that overkill? Who even wants that? How do you even put one on a laptop?

You probably have several databases on your computer.

You use custom names for the tags... obviously.

Attached: 1538308059078.jpg (619x559, 104K)

Doesn't that just change the image metadata? (and update the modified date, I don't want that)

It's helpful to not to destroy the original filename or hash, it considerably it easier to find the origin of the file if you need to.

This is why folders exist you know.

It's like arguing with a goldfish

Okay, retard, do you have any actual argument for why you shouldn't just use an "OSXDaily.com" folder?

Attached: previewfile_874012108.jpg (1440x1440, 748K)

>why don't you tag your files with fruity colors to organize when
This is what folders are for.

OWNED

read the fucking thread you spastic

What if the data being organized is not hierarchically related?

>tag red
Gee thanks fisher price, I mean, apple.