Just started learning python on codecademy today

just started learning python on codecademy today
how long will it take to start earning money programming?

Attached: 078.jpg (369x387, 35K)

well, if you go off of me as an example, it would take about 6 years and still not be making money

by the time you learn "coding" all "coding" will have been outsourced to india and vietnam

but what about all the silicon valley workers and diversity hires?

they will all be rainbow haired soft skill women.

get a liberal arts degree and get a job that centers around human interaction and gay shit like that which can't be outsourced to someone who speaks broken english in an incomprehensible accent. also a sex change. then you can be one of them

Bay area programmer here... on my 3rd job in the last 3 years because each startup (while each progressively a better place to work) has outsourced more and more of the programming jobs to India and Vietnam.

> fun fact...
> vietnamese legacy code is the worst kind of legacy code

what are you gonna do once all programming jobs are dead?

I'm hoping AI will have kicked us off into the singularity by then so I won't need to work in the post-labor utopia

As soon as your skin turns brown

so... when people think of "tech" (what an awful word), they think Bay area.

there's a shit ton of jobs outside of NY and SF in the US, let alone the world.

start my own app/company that hopefully doesn't do something shitty, that i enjoy at least 51% of the time and hopefully it pans out.

i'll be fine.

how do you survive?

gibs

As long as it takes you to learn a real language

in all seriousness...

i guess codecademy and other sites are alright for learning the basics of a language.

the real question is... "what do you want to build?".

games: C/C++/C#
rocket ships: C, COBOL, Fortran, Pascal
F1 cars: C/Python/and machine learning stuff +learn CFD shit and CAD
web shit: Frontend JavaScript (React/Vue) and pick one [Ruby/Python/Node (JS)]
bank shit and old shit: Java

> if i could do it all over, i would've paid more attention to C when i was younger

I have a comp sci degree, applied to 100+ companies, graduated a year ago.

I have not even been asked to come in for an interview. I've gotten 3 phone calls, 2 told me I needed more real world experience despite having 1.5 years internship experience. My friend with far less experience got about 7 interviews in person but that was 2 years ago.

I am growing tired of my shitty warehouse job and will probably quit soon because I can't take it anymore.

>i guess codecademy and other sites are alright for learning the basics of a language.
Is it though? I remember codecademy's courses being all about just copying lines of codes it gives you itself. How is that learning?

Or have they fuckin changed?

for real... keep your head up m8

> keep applying
> keep building stuff in your free time (i know its tough)

1,000% honesty... getting the first job is the toughest. you may even hate it once you're there but you now have that experience. you go Jow Forumsirl

i did it like... legit... 5 years ago or something. caveat is i had prior programming knowledge

> was going from C/Java in academics
> had an algorithms class the next semester in Python

people have said it before... learn 1 language, any language. who gives a shit which one (wren is cool)... but once you got 1 down and know how to duckduckgo things, you'll be fine

Go onto fiver and offer to write a script. There you just made money

Here, I'll help you out OP:
print "DEATH TO ALL JEWS"
Should be a good starting point for your career.

what about app shit?

>people have said it before... learn 1 language, any language
How easy stuff is to forget though... 10years ago I was doing lots of stuff in C, C++, Java, HDL languages with FPGAs - as a hobby but still - then I had a couple years break and it's as if I've never been programming anything at all.

Sometimes I wonder if I had some sort of micro-stroke that damaged my memory or something.
Never did weed and I'm not a drinker.

like mobile? You "could" do it in JavaScript but then you've made a shitty app so...

Java and Objective C... I guess Swift. My Nokia has snake.

Or, get ballsy and use Kotlin b/c fuck Java

Thanks user, it is hard. My optimism is running out after nearly a year. I will try to keep in good spirits though.

this but me

>graduate
>apply for gibs
>don't apply for a job and sit in my room for 3 months because I want to play video games
>finally have to pretend to apply for jobs so I don't get my gibs cut off
>get hired at the second place I apply to

Attached: cute.jpg (225x225, 8K)

bruv... part of applying for a job is timing

> companies hire less in Q3/Q4
> companies hire more in Q1/2
> startups with no funding for 2 years aren't hiring
> startups just finished funding will hire like mad
> big companies have slow turnover... you'll learn more and wear more hats (TF2 taught me well) somewhere

> careers.mclaren.com/job/Woking-Senior-Software-Engineer/523147301

I want that job. I don't meet the qualifications. Guess what I do when I get home... learn that shit. It sucks. But I want it. Get mad, idfk

thats a cute pepe,
pepe are technology
post pepe

Attached: pepemusic4.png (512x512, 258K)

kek me altho i won a hackathon with phat prizes

hackathons are ridiculously stupid