/tpg/

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: tpgidab.png (1080x2246, 1.9M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/neofetch
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No trannies allowed

bump

what's the oldest thinkpad one can get that can run rainbow six siege at medium settings?

>that dirty ass nail
what the fuck have you been doing to it user? 20 seconds should be the max you heat it before letting it cool down for 30-50 seconds to dab, then wipe the residue off before it solidifies and burns on next time you heat it. this triggers my autism.

Where can i buy a T450 whitelisted screen on the internet, that ships to Brazil.

Attached: memepad.jpg (4032x3024, 1.68M)

I have nicer ones too I qtip tech on

First for most powerful Thinkpad generation that still lets you run Coreboot, doesn't look hideous, and doesn't force you to use a shitty island keyboard with so low travel it breaks your fingers.

>Whitelisted screen
Wait... Nu-pads enforce specific display models? lmao

Attached: T430.jpg (2136x1424, 1.54M)

I use a w520

its much more powerful and nicer than that

idab here

any 30 pin 14" screen should work, wth you asking for? take a look at mercadolivre, there's always that kind of shiz there

Test

How do I hook up an external GPU to.my t420? What is the best method?

>No onboard usb 3.0
>No internal flashing with Coreboot
>Stuck using shitty novideo dgpu for video output
No thanks friend, try a T530.

Attached: 1521334578114.jpg (320x422, 22K)

cope harder

Unfortunately. The EDID is written in BIOS, if the screen is not whitelisted brightens control will not work win windows. Linux don`t care about EDID.

t440s doesnt have this problem #1 modern thinkpad

t440p based too

I do not want to loose brightness control in windows.

x40 a cute but a shit

Attached: IMG_20190404_215439.jpg (2160x3840, 657K)

Is that a crack pipe? Wtf

Sure thing XX20-let :v)

Nice island keys, little plastic clips that break the instant you try to take it apart, and no coreboot support. Cringe and bluepilled.

It is. A shame it's so old.

it has usb 3.0

it has coreboot

a new motherboard is only $60 if gpu fails

w520 based af

Ah you're right, it does have USB3.0. I forgot. However, the coreboot port doesn't allow internal flashing. Meaning you have to take the entire device apart every time you need to update your BIOS image. Very cringe!

$60 for a new motherboard is also cringe as fuck, way too expensive. Start buying BIOS-locked ones for nothing, or use the superior T530 motherboard.

>way too expensive

not really :D

>start buying BIOS-locked ones for nothing

will start trying to do this

I'm saying you can get them for better prices than that, $60 is steep. Especially if you ditch the shitty dgpu models.

is downgrading the BIOS (on a T420) easy? I'm on 1.37 but according to the german thinkwiki a higher bios version is better at fan control than thinkfan, so I want to update.

Can you actually swap a t530 mainboard into a w520? doesn't the t530 have mini displayport output or something and it won't fit in the case?

The only downside to my W520 is the Nvidia GPU being wired to all the video out ports, I wish I had gone for a intel GPU only model, but I got a really good deal on this one and I didn't know better at the time.

Also, 55W heatsink arrived for my W520 today, might install it when I can get around to it.

Yeah just read off a backup with your SPI flasher, and when you want to go back flash it back.

X390, is it worth it new? anyone here used one?

Attached: 1524682675398.jpg (3264x1836, 1.6M)

Well that's a tn panel if I've ever seen one. Also your slice battery is not seated well

Very nice JP keyboard.

I don't know, but you're likely right in that they're slightly different. Just search up some photos of the differences. Likely they're very minimal. Worst thing you might have to do is buy a T520 chassis and swap that into place alongside the motherboard.

Also from what I've heard, you can't use the dGPU heatsink on a iGPU-only motherboard. Unfortunately they don't fit so you can't reap those performance benefits. :T

No.

Very cute, nice slice.

That's a big old yikes on that WoW UI senpai
>Actually has fishing on his bars

I'm a 3d artist, and I use softwares like substance or mari that can be intensive on the gpu, is there a ThinkPad for me?

It's a dock station.

Attached: 1522997246476.jpg (3264x1836, 1.57M)

>>No internal flashing with Coreboot
i'm sorry that your too dumb to figure it out but that is simply false.

Where have you guys bought coreboot stickers?

are you the retard from the other thread asking for final year student project ideas? if you aren't kill yourself anyway, disgusting redditor.

Well then I have dumb friends that can't figure it out, I wouldn't be caught dead owning a XX20 machine. Just werks on XX30 machines with 12MB of onboard flash memory. ;)

I also want to know this.

what error did they get when trying to internally flash?
what do you need the 12mb of memory for anyway?

Yes he is the faggot that boasted about hes xx40-series nupad shit, got roasted and started crying all over how good hes laptop is. Now he's come to the realization and just bought w520 to play fucking videogames on it. What a fucking faggot redditor. He also likes to post hes own or someone else's retarted looking face.

I bought a dell XPS 15 9570 then I learned of the thinkpad meme. So I bought a t420 and a x200 and I like them more than the XPS. Now I want an x200 to add to the collection. Thanks Jow Forums for making me realize I wasted $2000 on a shit laptop.

I meant I want to add an x220 to the collection. I am brainlet.

Meant to say I want to add an x220 to the collection. I am brainlet.

Friend of mine over on the #/tpg/ IRC on Rizon was having the issue. Seemed to me that he wasn't supplying a proper flash descriptor, but I didn't look too closely into it. It just wouldn't boot after he flashed.

The XX30 machines have two flash chips that are virtually combine together, one 8MB and one 4MB (In that order), totaling to 12MB. I don't need that much, but apparently Lelnono thought they did.

I hope I'm not coming off as too much of an asshole, I get caught up in shitposting when I stare at Jow Forums's interface.

Pretty awesome setup, the X200 will be well worth it. I use mine at work every day, perfectly capable of lightweight tasks, and can be Librebooted!

Get a X200 instead, Coreboot the T420 and Libreboot the X200.

Attached: programming_socks_thinkpad1.jpg (1709x1139, 782K)

Fat feet

Why is it so perfect bros?

Attached: thinkpadx200.jpg (1129x1521, 267K)

I’m a little scared to libreboot the x200. I don’t want to become a tranny.

Don't worry ur gonna enjoy it. I like red and black striped ones

You should see the fat thighs above those feet. UwU

Then Coreboot it instead. Just don't pass it any blobs and it's literally Libreboot without the ancient software and attached tranny-ness.

I like thick thighs tho. Your feet just seem disproportioned to ur pretty thin thighs

Could you post your thighs for me, cutie?

i got a maxed out t470p and it couldnt play siege min graphics 1080p 60fps. dont try to game on thinkpads

I'm not a foot fetishist, they seem fine to me. Not my legs btw.

I'm a man, you would not want to see my thin bony thighs. This is also very off-topic.

It's it what it is man. I get the same way when I post Jow Forums, I think my first comment came off as passive aggressive.
>one 8MB and one 4MB (In that order), totaling to 12MB
I know this. I just read your comment as that you were running something that required more tnan 8mb or even the full 12mb. I just run grub and nvramcui on my x230/t430
>supplying a proper flash descriptor
>It just wouldn't boot
probably or somehow he relocked his flash regions
he probably messed up some settings, I couldn't boot when i was messing with raminit cause my 16gb kit of ram wasn't working(worked fine on stock bios).

But isn't that ur thinkpad?

you already bought a thinkpad. that the 1st to becoming a tranny. next thing you know you install a free os and start using free software. then you liberate your system. then buy some anime dolls. then programming socks and a skirt. then start taking hrt and then you rope

Attached: IMG_1468.jpg (2268x3024, 952K)

I can't believe how powerful my w520 is even with just the i5 2520m

Insane performance. The i7 2640m is only $30 for another boost. Amazing.

Doesn't mean it's me.

Cute.

Hurry up and get a quad core, fuck that pussy shit dual-core stuff.

Would ur boyfriend show off a little more?

what about eGPU setups?

how did you get bios to show up in neofetch(?) thingy

What's the difference between 440p and 450? 440p has socketed CPU, right? Anything else?

I don't think I need a quad core chip

I need to upgrade everything else first

That's my wife, sorry to disappoint but she does not have a penis. :(

Modified Neofetch. I can post it if you'd like.

It's well worth it, and if you're not using the dGPU it would run very cool on your W520.

Attached: 2019-04-05--1554491003_650x310_scrot.png (650x310, 16K)

I use the dGPU to play WoW, I think I'm just going for the fastest dual core i7

>Modified Neofetch. I can post it if you'd like.
if you don';t mind

My job just gave me an 2nd gen x1 yoga for a travel laptop
How did I do /tpg/?

lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/neofetch

But you need to add:

>info "BIOS" bios

To your ~/.config/neofetch/config.conf

>yoga

Throw it away, has no value.

well it's light, convertible and the battery life's great, what else could you want from a travel laptop?

i never dabbled with them, because i dont see the point. just use a desktop if you wanna game

thanks brah

Hey, my T530 spews some ACPI errors on boot and hangs on them for a few seconds. Which is literally half of the overall time to boot so I'd like to get rid of that. Kernel is 4.19 and it looks like this:

[ 4.778125] ACPI Error: Field [TBF3] at bit offset/length 262144/32768 exceeds size of target Buffer (262144 bits) (20180810/dsopcode-201)
[ 4.778134] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.PEG.VID.GETB, AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT (20180810/psparse-516)
[ 4.778158] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.PEG.VID._ROM, AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT (20180810/psparse-516)

Any ideas?

cute!

Attached: smol edition.jpg (1024x768, 241K)

>"socks"
you were the chosen one

How does 768p screen looks on 12" laptop?

fine, depending on how powerful the laptop is you wont want anything higher res

eye cancer inducing tier

Just fine, in fact you probably need scaling so any higher resolution doesn't come out too tiny at that size.
1366x768 is only really terrible on displays above 13".

I'm currently using a R40 with windows xp for old vidyas (and sourceports for older vidyas) but the hard drive is incredibly fucking slow. I was thinking of replacing it but the best thing I've found are some fucking chink PATA SDDs that are kinda cheap but scare me. Have someone here bought one of those?

Or should I just straight upgrade to a T60 that actually supports SATA?

Looks fine on mine.

Absolutely fine.

Installing a windows partition too

Attached: Screenshot_20190405-152255_Camera.png (1080x2246, 1.92M)

Enjoying some icecream as I install software on my new w520

Attached: Screenshot_20190405-152953_Camera.png (1080x2246, 1.83M)

That's a popsicle, you fucking nigger.

no its icecream on a popsicle stick

i'm quite surprised that it came with hardly any shiny keys

I just got a used T480s but it just has a lil 128gb ssd, I'm pretty sure there is an available slot for an additional ssd but I'm not sure what form factor. I don't have any product sheet from Lenovo since I'm but the orig owner. Is there any documentation available that lists expandable in slots? Or any terminal programs that could check?

I wish we could have a line of thinkpads with this size, using atom cpus, but lenovo would figure out a way to fuck it up.

Time to make some baked chicken and rice!

Attached: 654F6FD7-4E2B-4324-892E-B540033CAF68.jpg (4032x3024, 3.11M)

have they made update Jow Forums toaster stickers yet

>windows
>vlc
you disgust me

Doing my best

Btw the meal came out amazing. Thanks for asking!

Attached: C0431147-951A-41EF-A3E0-C8BD6926E931.jpg (4032x3024, 3.08M)

Looks tasty. Good job, friend

looks great user

uwu

Looks really bad

what is the part number for the DC Travel Adapter for a T530?