Is Gentoo really worth it if you only need a simple, minimal distro for programming work and shitpost?

Is Gentoo really worth it if you only need a simple, minimal distro for programming work and shitpost?

Attached: 1553432429093.png (1024x1280, 88K)

yes

No you retard

Install Arch. Just werks and you won't have to wait 3 hours while compiling some little program

No, msdos is better

simple and minimal conflict you know. Gentoo does enable you to have a very minimal distro, with absolutely nothing on it except what you need, everything else not installed or not compiled in. But that's not simple. You get to learn the ins and outs of absolutely everything and go down a bunch of rabbit holes for shit that's on your system but that you don't care about the inner workings of. In other words you clutter up your brain in order to learn how to unclutter your system. If you'd just installed Debian or Fedora or Ubuntu or whatever you'd have more clutter on your computer but less in your brain. You can decide where to put that bloat, in you or in your OS, but beyond a certain minimum level you can't destroy it.

>3 hours compiling a little program
>arch
t. archfag that is too dumb to install gentoo. The only thing that takes more than 5 minutes to compile are browsers.

Short answer, Probably no.
Long answer maybe, how fast is your computer? How much time do you wanna invest in the install process? Are alternatives like Arch/Void/Debian viable to you?

Depending on your computer, I rock a Celeron 3500M, compiling anything on it, even with the proper flags is a fucking pain.

>minimal distro
its basicly mean no GUI at all distro

I did use arch already and it was a good experience desu.
I understand the install and compiling takes its time, but what about after that? Is it not a mess to install or update new software? If managing packages is relatively simple then I'll go for it.
Not that fast but it's recent so compiling is still ok to me. I've used arch and enjoyed it, Void crashed all the time and Debian works too but had to enable non-free drivers

Void crashed for you? Interesting, I never had that problem, is your CPU overclocked?

>Is it not a mess to install or update new software?
well using the package manager is fairly straightforward, the complicated part is knowing enough about everything you're installing, so that you can instruct it what to do. Keep in mind that software changes so keeping up with all of this is an ongoing burden.

depends on what lengths you're willing to go to for your minimalism really.

Just install Debian and choose a lightweight desktop environment

that's a weird way to write window manager

No, it's a laptop but probably just a bad install or hardware related.
I'll look into that and base my choice by this. Portage sounds complex

Unless you have an explicit reason to use it over Arch, just use Arch. You literally won't notice a difference as far as usability is concerned.

But muh systemd?

That's the best possible use case

>Is it not a mess to install or update new software? If managing packages is relatively simple then I'll go for it.
Here's everything you have to know to use portage for most purposes

# emerge -aDNu @world
this is like apt update && apt upgrade

# emerge -ac
this is like apt autoremove

# emerge -a package-category/package-name
this is like apt install

# emerge -ac package-category/package-name
this is like apt remove

# euse -i useflagname
(part of gentoolkit)
this explains a specific USE flag if it exists, or reports that it doesn't if it doesn't. USE flags control what kind of support should be compiled into packages when they're installed

# euse -E useflagname
(part of gentoolkit)
this enables a USE flag, if you know you're going to use certain software that a lot of other software is optionally compatible with then you should add the flag for that common dependency, if you run this then you should follow it up with emerge -aDNu @world

# euse -D useflagname
(part of gentoolkit)
this disables a USE flag, if you know you don't want certain typically used software suites installed on your system then this can be a good way to make sure nothing that depends on them gets built, again if you run this then follow it up with emerge -aDNu @world

# euse -P useflagname
(part of gentoolkit)
this prunes a USE flag, if you had a USE flag enabled or explicitly disabled and then thought better of it then this is how you restore it to a neither enabled nor disabled state, again if you run this then follow it up with emerge -aDNu @world

# etc-update
sometimes when you try to install something it will tell you you have to update your config to allow the installation, you should carefully look over the required changes and decide what you want to do about them and then run etc-update, etc-update will provide an automated way to approve or veto the changes needed

>what is CCache

Attached: smart_weed.jpg (179x159, 6K)