Emacs

what's the best way to use emacs for c/c++, ruby, python, go development ootb? plugins, etc.? preferably not meme-tier shit like spacemacs unless it isn't broken like it was a few years ago

Attached: emacs.png (1920x1034, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

martinsosic.com/development/emacs/2017/12/09/emacs-cpp-ide.html
tuhdo.github.io/c-ide.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm using Spacemacs on develop branch and it works fine.
Just make sure emacs knows how to find all the golang shit (i.e. knows both where GOROOT and GOPATH are and that they're pushed into the exec-path).
Python also works fine OOTB on memecas.
If you don't want to use spacemacs just go see how the layer is configured and take the package list from there.

I followed this, using irony. Pretty good.
martinsosic.com/development/emacs/2017/12/09/emacs-cpp-ide.html

There's also LSP, but you may or may not like it.

> what's the best way to use emacs for c/c++, ruby, python, go development ootb
It has syntax highlighting. Just write some fucking code.

shove it up your ass faggot

Get real ide. Emacs is fun and all for hobysts, but it will not help you get real job.

Uninstall Emacs and install Vim

Neovim* please stop recommending new users to Vim it’ll be dead soon. NVim is the same thing, with more support and a cleaner codebase.

>install Vim
Every real distro already have vim installed.

Stop being a memer and use VS Code. If you are genuinely a productive person, the memory cost won't matter. You can't even force tabs on Emacs.

First, purchase a space cadet keyboard clone (or an original, if you've got thousands to spend on a keyboard), now you're all set. Seriously, why do people use emacs without the keyboard it was designed around? It seems akin to playing top tier driving sims with a keyboard and mouse.

>run vm
>need to edit source files
>hurr just use vscode u retard it doesn't matter that it lags like shit and takes forever to startup because it literally just werks for me and only my kind of use case is important

Attached: d27.png (645x729, 75K)

Stupid nigger. most of the best qualified and highly appreciated at my workplace use Vim and Emacs. You can almost guarantee an employed developer is competent if he uses either.

This. VSCode is next generation Emacs.

t. ex-emacsfag

>using autistic 70's terminal editors in 2019

I take the advice from this guy tuhdo.github.io/c-ide.html

Emacs is primarily run outside of the terminal now

Idiot memelord

Use CEDET, Helm or Swiper, and auto-indent/auto-parens

Can any Emacs users describe these parts of their workflow? I'm coming from Vim.
>Buffer handling - tabs used to allow me to manage window layouts quickly, which was convenient even though I mainly worked with buffers
>Quick navigation to near areas - I used to use relative line numbers to quickly jump to nearby lines but I hear relative line numbering is slow in Emacs
>Getting help for packages - I'm used to being able type in the name of a package and get more help, "C-h p" doesn't seem to be what I want

Excuse me?

Attached: emacs-interview.png (854x642, 146K)

you don't, you use VSCode.

You left out Emacs with Evil mode at +300%

>space cadet keyboard clone
Where can you find one of those?

window-configuration-to-register and winner-mode, if I understand what you are talking about.
Relative line numbering works fine now. Emacs 26 added a new, fast line numbering mode.
There isn't one place for package help unfortunately. If you just want a package overview go find the readme, if you want specifics then that will be in the help system but you need to learn how to find it.

Or just design your emacs to work with your keyboard. It isn't hard to make your own mode for keybindings.

>>Getting help for packages - I'm used to being able type in the name of a package and get more help, "C-h p" doesn't seem to be what I want
# Menu
F10

# Tutorial
C-h t

# Manual
C-h r

# Browse manuals (inforeader)
C-h i

# Browse manpages
M-x man

# Apropos
C-h a

# Show the function of a key
C-h k

# Show information on function
C-h f

# Show information on variable
C-h v

# Show libraries of functions and packages
M-x find-library RET

I am making a cheatsheet as you see.

>Browse manuals
Perfect. I do miss having omni-completion on :help though.

One thing I forgot to mention is
M-x customize
which has a search bar.

For help with help
C-h ?