Say hello to your replacement

Attached: R7140098-01.jpg (444x304, 18K)

nice head unit dude

That looks cool. What is it?

a PLC, basically an industrial Arduino board for automated equipment.

>le high tech automation equipment
>still has a serial port like it's still the 90s

Why change what isn't broken? Not like bandwidth matters there.

getting rid of serial port for simple communcation that "just werkz" is like removing the attached wheel from the car and completely trusting bluetooth handheld controller for controlling the car manually (automatical control is by AI)

USB has been standard for 23 years and even USB 1.1 is faster than most serial ports.

it is also more complicated so more things couldgo wrong

>PLC
i flip burgers
go back to your factory

And a lot less robust for no benefit. Even 115k is unnecessary for that interface.

I work as a Control engineer and my job is to design and program PLC logic.
Yes, PLC is taking operator jobs everyday, but you dont have to worry if you have at least a high school diploma.

but who gives a fuck when it means literally nothing

why do people like you obsess over such meaningless things

>serial port
>70s tier lcd
>buttons

What year is it? im pretty sure it isnt 1990s

>what is industrial equipment

There is an enormous amount of overhead and complexity in USB. With a serial port push bytes in one end and they come out the other.

Try programming anything complex into one of those bastards with ladder logic and you will realize it won't replace you.

Hello based PLC

A lot of the equipment these things control was built in the 90s and earlier. You don't replace a massive piece of industrial equipment every few years like you do with consumer tech. PLCs that only have USB and Ethernet ports don't sell so well.

(My company came out with a PLC that only had Ethernet and USB. We ended up selling most of them with an ugly looking USB->RS485 dongle hanging off the side)

there is zero reason to use something like USB for basic industrial networking. even CNC machines don't operate fast enough to necessitate anything faster than communication over RS232, or a DNC controller if the project is more complex

Based on what?

Stop using 'murrikan plcs that only support ladder.

Looks like retro junk.

Who'd buy something like that?

People who like money.

>not dipping fries in oil

Hello, I say it every day as it does my job while I read books.

they can program themselves now wow

RS-232 is just GOAT for this kind of stuff. Period. Look at this. You can't fucking break it, which makes it perfect for heavy-duty environment. Industrial dust ? Just blow in in it. Water, oil, grease ? Look at it not giving a fuck. Meanwhile your USB is begging for mercy. Interoperability ? You bet it does. There's no single excuse for not supporting it the way it was intended. Don't like the manufacturer's driver ? Just make yours. With USB you'll have to stick with the provided software which will only work with Windows Vista. And the guy operating it ? He has a bunch of big cables in his pockets, complete with zip-ties and ductape and you know he's not fucking around and using his cargo pants to the full extent. Now look at you. That's right, all you have is a puny USB cable and skinny jeans.

But I'm an Mechanical Engineer with experience with automation and PLC programming.

who's going to program it if i'm fired

oh yeah, that thing will replace me, of course!

Attached: PLC.jpg (418x141, 17K)

function over style LIKE IT FUCKING SHOULD BE

>using PLCs
>unironically
Lrn2Ldr dude.

Attached: 1536821824696.png (876x556, 512K)

>some retard trips on the serial cable or rips it out in a fit of potatorage (it happens)
>can't just plug it back in because lmao no hot swapping
>have to shut down production just to plug a fucking cable back in
platinum yikes

>doesn't hotplug serial cables
>unironically

Attached: 1537597309342.png (1920x1080, 2.71M)

Can a plc cook?
can a plc clean?
can a plc raise a family?

Incels!

KYS

With right programming, I don't see why not.

Allen-Bradley > Siemens > Schneider Modicon

I kinda miss working with big retarded robots. The ultimate engineering job is truly programming big hardware, then ripping out cables and plugging them back in.

It's a legacy thing. Industrial automation people don't just discard the old.
That's why you can program PLCs using order list (assembly based), ladder, structured text (pascal based), Function Block Diagram and Sequential Function Charts. It's about inclusion. This way an electrician who has been in the industry for 40 years or an automation engineer fresh out of college would be able to deal with the PLC the way it's comfier for them.

>not using a distributed solution in 2019
Turck > all

This is for people who don't stay on their desks all day. they are prob brutes and will be dirty when dealing with the PLC. this is not a google office machine. retarded.
do you want industry plants to stop every time a PLC gets its glass touchscreen cracked because it fell when someone was doing some maintenance work?

Attached: 1537889614282.gif (487x560, 898K)

Less is more.

this, just fucking use IP already

probably uses alkali batteries

>You can't fucking break it
*bends one of your pins

now what the fuck are you going to do nigger

> pockets full of keks

>all the zoomers complaining because of the serial port
The absolute state of this board.

half of it is bait
the other half is genuinely misinformed retards who probably left /pcbg/ for the first time today

don't make me laugh pls. Allen Bradley better than siemens, WTF

Bend it back. Or if it's completely fucking broken swap the port out for a new one since it's on a module precisely because shit happens on the shop floor.