What's actually wrong with using "botnet" or "non free" software?

I can't think of any real world consequences for this.
There actually isn't an evil "botnet" that's going to end the world.
Companies collecting your user data isn't what's making the user experience bad for you, it's really just your own paranoia that is.
When you go out of your way to find half baked open source alternatives for popular software, you aren't actually rising above anything, you're really just making your life harder for no good reason.

You'd think that, considering this is a technology board, the people here would generally be pretty high IQ, but whenever I see someone calmly trying to bring this up, the GNU plus Freetards resort to mindlessly screeching at them with either Jow Forums rhetoric or unfunny, forced memes like Satania.

>inb4 paid shill
But no one ever said anything about people shilling Linux, did they?
>inb4 seething
If you feel the need to say this, most likely YOU are the one who's "seething".

Attached: Screenshot_20190406-152238_Opera Touch.jpg (1080x1061, 158K)

>unfunny, forced memes like Satania
>posts pic of an unfunny forced meme
ebin

Contrarianism and a false sense of intelligence for using something worse as if it's difficult and not just shit

>listening to Jow Forums
OP, your first mistake was considering the opinions of paranoid schizophrenic paedophiles.

yeah probably desu

>Not mindlessly going along with the current popular definition of productivity is "making your life harder for no good reason"
Nobody cares that you were able to write 10 excel formulas today, or draw a perfectly realistic cock in photoshop, or whatever the fuck it is you're shilling. Free software is about freedom, not about making it so your boss can make an extra dollar off of every hour you work while subsequently signing your rights away to microsoft or adobe or whoever.

My opinion is that tracking and "personalized results" make for a worse product. The facebook news feed jumped the shark when it wasn't sorted by time anymore and instead they tried to guess what you wanted based on like 1000 different data points, thus introducing total randomness and unreliability.

>But no one ever said anything about people shilling Linux, did they?
I actually regularly complain about Linux Foundation shills, they are cunts. Their kernel is a decent project though that can be easily used without their shenanigans, the same cannot be said of the botnet junk you're shilling OP.

>My opinion is that tracking and "personalized results" make for a worse product
then you've never actually worked on a product

>emacs half-baked
>linux kernel half-baked
>sh half-baked
>git half-baked
t. tech tard

it's a discord tranny, don't expect much of it
just hide the thread the next time

I have and I leave whenever that garbage is introduced. Nothing about it is good, once you start doing that you lose the ability to understand what customers actually want and are stuck playing guessing games for the rest of the product's life. If you work for google or facebook or amazon, quit immediately.

>playing guessing games
tracking usage means you don't HAVE to play guessing games
you can see what features you customers are and aren't using and develop appropriately

>There actually isn't an evil "botnet" that's going to end the world.
You should stop misleading people. The way things are going now, you'll have to suffer through knowing you're complicit when everything goes to shit.
>But no one ever said anything about people shilling Linux, did they?
That's because it's not shilling if you're not being paid by a corporate entity that stands to benefit from people adopting the technology you're espousing. In the case of Linux, no such corporate entity exists. I guess you could consider Canonical et. al. to be such entities, but that's only for those of us dumb enough to unironically recommend binary-based distros.

>current popular definition of productivity
The definition of productivity has not changed within recent time.

>Nobody cares that you were able to write 10 excel formulas today, or draw a perfectly realistic cock in photoshop, or whatever the fuck it is you're shilling. Free software is about freedom, not about making it so your boss can make an extra dollar off of every hour you work while subsequently signing your rights away to microsoft or adobe or whoever.
No one cares that you don't have a job and have never used a computer in an actually productive way.

>My opinion is that tracking and "personalized results" make for a worse product.
"My opinion is that having more features ACTUALLY makes the software worse"

>can be easily used without their shenanigans, the same cannot be said of the botnet junk you're shilling OP.
Well if it's so hard and horrible to use, why does almost everyone with internet and a computer choose to use it?

>discord tranny
Not OP and I agree OP is a fag but what is this even supposed to mean?
Is this another one of these shit Jow Forums memes to signal to your 12 year old friends that you intend to invade chat rooms with pictures of frogs calling everyone SJW?

>discord tranny

You're proving the point I made about low iq screeching Jow Forums rhetoric

Free software == goog guys
Proprietary software == bad guys
It's that simple

Attached: cirno_penguin.jpg (480x577, 34K)

this basically. it's a boycott

No that is literally guessing. You are doing it because you made a feature that you aren't sure people will use, aka a guess. Do it right the first time and you won't have this burden of having to spy on your own users.

The problem with a lot of software is that it charges out the ass and people don't like that, also no customization. And a lot of the stuff is either too bloated or is so basic that it doesn't need to be paid for.

I use about 50/50 FOSS to proprietary software. I can use OBS, VLC, ODC, and GIMP just fine, but After Effects has functions that I could never find for free.

People like to shit on proprietary software, but a lot of them don't realize that being payed to make software and getting money for it promotes better products with more options than the last.

You could guess that the die hard FOSS users also don't have much going on besides jerking off over the fact that their software was a bot harder to install.

what the fuck are you talking about? you make something and you either track if people are using it, or you GUESS if they're using it
I don't think you've even had a job

You fell for the dumb meme of thinking that free means free as in costs nothing. Many free software developers are paid. Free software does not mean non-commercial, in fact it means the opposite, commercialization is explicitly supported, any license that tries to restrict people's ability to profit from the software is nonfree. If there are functions missing from some bits of free software that you use then I suggest you try to pay for them to be added and then try to profit from those additions.

I was talking about the "contributors" to certain products and projects. I know the goddamn definition

>>There's no real world consequences!
>He says while this is happening
Lmao imagine unironically believing that nonfree is a good way to go.

Attached: microshaft shafting users.png (635x535, 326K)

No you are just so bought into the surveillance mentality that you don't get it. Quit your company immediately and go work for a real one. You are arguing that one form of guessing is somehow magically better than another form of guessing, just because it has ZOMG NUMBERS AND GRAPHS N SHIET. They aren't, it's still a guess, I cannot wait until society gets over this AI big data deep learning hype train

I own my own company, and I'm arguing that having data is better than having no data
No clue what the fuck you're talking about

oh hey nice thread, op

To everyone bringing up all the Google/Microsoft/Other Bad Gompany shit: I'm pretty sure OP is talking about software and stuff that isn't necessarily a whole operation system

It really is not. Your data is only useful when immediately actionable, 99% of data is not, and the other 1% can be gathered by communicating directly with users. If this is not possible then you have no control over your product and no amount of data will be able to give you a clear picture.

you cant communicate directly with every user, the users who bother to communicate with you are a biased set

I'm a bit of a techlet, but I agree. But you should always turn off "auto personalisation" stuff and shit because that can affect performance on browsers and such.

EITHER USER CONTROLS THE SOFTWARE OR THE SOFTWARE CONTROLS THE USER
DO YOU WANT SOFTWARE TO CONTROL YOU???

Then like I said you are already in a position where you lost control of your product because you have no way of knowing its usage without guessing or introducing bias. I really don't know why all you kids are obsessed with being the next google or facebook. Get a real job.

Because poorfags need to cope.

>if you accept these assumptions for X then I don't see how not-X is true.
I like free software because I like to own my tools.
>isn't what's making the user experience bad for you
What makes the user "experience" bad for me is not being able to have control of what my software can or can't do, which immediately makes such software insecure and inferior to free software.
Why should I and many others sit with our arms crossed because a certain company can't release a feature or fix a bug? Perhaps you should think critically about these issues, instead of begging the question and making ad-hominem attacks to avoid cognitive dissonance.

>you are already in a position where you lost control of your product
tracking usage has nothing to do with control of your product, tracking allows you to observe usage
you can complain about people making bad assumptions from that data, doesn't mean the data has no value

Actually it does and I already explained why, there is no way to make good assumptions.

>there is no way to make good assumptions.
you use your brain you fucking dumbass

Literally just another "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" shill. Pretty pathetic. Saged

I don't want everyone to know my enthusiasm for big tits and the White Race.

>You should stop misleading people. The way things are going now, you'll have to suffer through knowing you're complicit when everything goes to shit.
Schizo

>That's because it's not shilling if you're not being paid by a corporate entity that stands to benefit from people adopting the technology you're epsousing.
Actually retarded. Shilling is running around annoyingly promoting anything. Stop trying to defend freetard shilling, shill.

>he continues to mislead people
imagine the smell

Sickeningly low IQ

>he uses gnu plus linux
Imagine the smell

Attached: Screenshot_20190406-212539_Opera Touch.jpg (1079x590, 290K)

>he imagined the smell but unironically
imagine the smell

What's wrong with leaving your blinds open during the night and allow people to see everything you do in your house?
There's no real world consequence from it. If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear.

Attached: stalin gulag.png (642x792, 317K)

1) Digital data collection for the purpose of analytics is not realistically comparable to leaving your blinds open at night.
2) There are many scenarios in which leaving your blinds open at night isn't actually creepy, for example if you live high up enough in an apartment complex that no one could watch you from the ground, or if you live in an isolated area with little to no other houses or population nearby.

t. triggered tranny subhuman

The TL;DR of it is that technology has made men obsolete and they have nothing real to fight over and so they make shit up to struggle for. Read Industrial Society and Its Future.

>just for analytics goyim

>goyim

Attached: 1509044210040.png (546x700, 322K)

Just because you don't see it as a problem does not mean that the problem doesn't exist. Having control over things you yourself have bought should not be that alien of an endeavour. I personally am not fine with neither hardware or software that will be obsolete when the company that created them stops supporting it. Corporations having power over people either through the aforementioned problem, through the data they've collected (among other means) is disgusting. Selling their souls to make that extra half a cent from a customer that already paid through the nose for their products through means of """performance telemetry""" (or whatever you wanna call it) that is neither anonymized nor restricted to actual metrics required for the products improvement is even worse.
>I can't think of any real world consequences for this.
Every single entity holding your data is another link in the chain that when broken will compromise any or all of your identity, safety, property or social aspects. Just because your only interaction with a powerful computing device is using a phone to make the shitpost I'm currently replying to doesn't mean that others are like this as well. New cars come loaded with electronics that control just about everything about the vehicle and some of these systems have been compromised. Some use their computers for critical missions and simply cannot rely on software that they cannot audit, nor can they afford for their data to leak.
>Companies collecting your user data isn't what's making the user experience bad for you
Usually not directly. But it brings about several things: It normalizes the already absurd data mining, makes software bloated with this unnecessary feature and more importantly: is a security risk both for direct and indirect attacks.
>you aren't actually rising above anything
Can you elaborate? I don't see using libre alternatives as some kind of competition.
>the latter half of your post
Cope.

1) The purpose for data collection is definitely not just for analytics.

2) The moments where it's ok to leave blinds open or not is unrelated to our argument and my analogy.

Sorry but I don't keep up with Jow Forums memes, I still don't understand, is this supposed to offend me?

dilate

Post without using shit memes

>Jow Forums rhetoric
and this is bad how?
faggot

faggot

>not actually making a point

free software is like veganism. you know its good for you and the environment but it tastes like shit.