How do you deal with the isolation and loneliness when programming?

How do you deal with the isolation and loneliness when programming?

Attached: FOREIGN201805020749000439740759008.jpg (450x300, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i7kh8pNRWOo&app=desktop
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You mean embrace? Being alone with a problem for hours and hours is the best way to program. Wish management would understand this too

Attached: mpv-shot0002.jpg (579x690, 93K)

I WISH people would leave me alone at work. Instead I get a bunch of
>"hey user can you troubleshoot/debug this code that I wrote?"

I like being alone for programming.
Not so much in general, though.

lol you get lonely when programming? It sounds like programming isn't for you.

When I program I'm sure as hell not thinking about relationships. I'm hyper focused and excited about solving the problem in front of me. If you've never felt that then you probably aren't cut out to be a programmer because you're not autistic enough.

But that's the good part.

this, fuck
>get a story to add a long-requested feature
>might take a couple of hours to do
>get about 10 minutes of flow all week because of "agile" memes
>pairing
>mobbing
>grooming
>retros
>scrums
>random fucktarded meetings
>other dev suddenly decides that "refactoring" means cramming all of the shit from 20 different small and nicely laid out files into one disorganized mess
>doesn't tell anyone
>breaks everything
>flaming bag of shit falls in your lap
>takes all of the next week to fix his mess
>he won't stop being annoying about attempting to help so that he can cover his ass
>murder isn't an option
I hope that I can save enough money to buy a house in rural japan and spend my remaining days welding random shit together and playing bicycle hobo

Attached: 1418292443704.jpg (640x702, 62K)

>other dev suddenly decides that "refactoring" means cramming all of the shit from 20 different small and nicely laid out files into one disorganized mess

and turning your single task functions that are well named into one liners that are 120 characters long and basically unreadable

How would that get past a pull request?

I don't worry about it because my employer pays for me to get blowjobs while I'm programming.

I refuse to believe someone would be this fucktarded.

wish I had my own cubicle I could decorate instead of this stupid (((open office))) meme

Attached: 1548539919443.png (657x527, 31K)

happens all the time. the best part is when they think they are helping by refactoring, and due to politics at work you can't tell them to stop or you will be replaced. CLOWN WORLD

create a tulpa
it really worked out for me

I'm used to it

>tfw I have my own office
Love it so fucking much. Also have lots of hardware to work with so I need the space.

Attached: 1553886841118.jpg (958x1024, 124K)

In most "agile" teams there are no pull requests and you'd be lucky to get code reviews. Developers just push whatever they write into a test branch, and after some basic testing it gets merged into production.

How do you even write programs with 9/10 hotties all over you and your dick?

>isolation and loneliness when programming?
Are you okay?

Attached: 1553339819486.jpg (350x370, 70K)

>tulpa

Attached: 1553108706726.jpg (324x419, 41K)

I allow it to slowly fester into a mental illness

>tfw project manager decides open office improves productivity
>entire department moves to open office
>everyone wearing headphones
>everyone getting sick of each other
>teams fall apart
>productivity grinds to a halt
>2/3rd of dev staff had to be let go
>manager gets raise because he cut costs by firing people

Attached: sultan.jpg (620x413, 79K)

Sometimes I cry.

>retard dev makes shitcode PR
>can't self-approve because someone in devops did his job right and probably got fired over it
>new devops trannie has been spending two months trying to figure out how to change it so people can self-approve
>can't figure it out so is piloting a project to move to gitlab
>@channel someone approve my PR
>dev steps out for a beer
>someone approves PR without looking at code
>shit breaks
>someone suggests reverting
>is fired
>bitch at the SAFe evangelist about this retardation
>they/them's face when
>get fired

Attached: 1363845914736.jpg (800x1004, 172K)

Install gentoo

this, it's even worse because i work from home and have two small children

I don’t, I’ve been programming professionally for over 10yrs, eventually landed a job at an SV company, and have been depressed almost the entire time

I fucking hate agile, especially when it's just the pet buzzword of some asshole with the means of pushing it on people without extracting any actual benefits.

Currently suffering from this bullshit too. Holy shit it's so bad I want my waterfall back.

Drink

I know your pain user.

>programmer hired to work on company's main product
>show high level of expertise and competency right out of the gate
>leadership of company starts sending me all their shit because i can do it better than them
>never get to actually work on program the main product
>they complain work on main product is not progressing fast enough and perhaps i am not qualified to work on it
>continue to send me "emergency" jobs every single day

Attached: I hate this.jpg (302x225, 9K)

but thats the way i like it

>doing other peoples work
user i...

Talk to people user

But user, why would I feel lonely? My code keeps me company!

Attached: 1553779934778.jpg (362x346, 13K)

>when programming
When I’m programming I focus on the problem and don’t think about how lonely I’m in general. It’s when I’m not programming when it hits hard.

>How do you deal with the isolation and loneliness when programming?
as you can see, programmers love being lonely while working. perhaps you should rephrase your question, because you apparently meant "lonelines as a programmer", and not WHILE programming

Buy a silicone loli and sit her on your lap while you work

being alone while programming is a blessing
not having a toxic agile scrum open space environment is great
most devs I know that are around 30 are married or atleast engaged and some even have children.
The "programmers are lonely" meme is fake news.

Uh, I want to generally be left alone when I program. Distractions when dealing with complex tasks are seriously bothersome.

And yea, ~8h / 5 days of not much social interaction is just fine.

>Work at most 40 hours a week
>Don't be too emotionally invested in work
>Don't think about work when not at work
>Don't have tech related hobbies
That's how I do it.

Tech related hobbies are great, but I'd also advise against job related hobbies.

I'm sort of good at programming, so I work full time at home. For myself. Since I have a family, I really don't ever get lonely - it's more like I have to kick people out of my office!

what loneliness?

Attached: 1536568223421.jpg (488x700, 57K)

>their job includes buying programmers breakfast, chitchatting and playing ping-pong with them.

this is exactly what i need to cure my autism and loneliness

Attached: 1547283447374.png (251x201, 8K)

this is unironically a great idea but would never happen in the US because muh sexism.

Asia really is the future. Fuck the west(ern feminazis)

Usually I turn on live.pd, can be distracting though especially when a bravo mike starts running or gets uppity

It's shit, I don't need women pretending to like me. Just let me do my job in peace.

import friend

Attached: hammer.png (680x471, 108K)

SYSTEM CALL GENERATE GIRLFIREND

If you're not creating a general-purpose API, there is no reason for your method names to *not* be descriptive.
I'm sick of reading someone else's code where you can't figure out what the hell is going on until you look at the guts of the method. Method names like getData(), format(), export() are fucking retarded. eg: export(): "export what, you fucking asshole?!?!?!?"

I work from home: den, living room, music room, backyard...anywhere that the breeze is nice and the music is good. Cute girls walk by occasionally too. :)

yep. the matrix is my safe space.

>work full time at home...have a family
it's nice, isn't it? :)

Thank you. You are correct.

This is great and would cure my decades of isolation and fear of people. It's even better if these cheerleaders are genuinely interested in what's happening.

Goddamnit, wish we had this where i am.

programming is how you deal with the isolation and loneliness

if I couldn't go to work and dive into my job 40+ hours a week I would have killed myself long ago

Attached: 1422416867760.jpg (550x512, 78K)

it's not fair, bros

Attached: file.png (601x546, 583K)

this gave me anxiety? why don't you say anything?

How do you guys deal with staying marketable? I get stressed out to think if I get fired if I could find another comfy job like the one I have now, but I also get stressed at home feeling like I'm not developing skills

Go outside

By working with a team of artists, other programmers, PMs and designers. Why?

>this is unironically a great idea but would never happen in the US because muh sexism.
>muh sexism
Just make it equal opportunity. A few paid-bros to go along with the paid-hos. The handful of female coders might appreciate it as well as the gay ones who have a chad to ogle instead of fat neckbeards.
Even the straight guys might appreciate someone who isn't going to tell them their waifuashit

import girlfriend

holy shit, this sounds horrible. Nobody wins with booth babes. I cant imagine having them in work.
Just let me do my job.

Russian goddess ASMR

There's a ton of them...

At first this might seem good but it will get old fast. I don't want people disturbing me when I'm working.

i've been a freelancer for 35 years. it keeps me on my toes and keeps me learning new things and staying sharp. i could not imagine having one job that my life depends on. sounds scary.

I just assume that if I am good at my current job then I can find another job if this didn't work out. I happen to be working in a trendy field (ML) so generally speaking my skills are sought after. But generally it's good to do some external stuff e.g. attend conferences, work with external clients. Just to know something of the world outside your company.

I prefer programming on my own at home.

Attached: adult with steady income views his steam catalog.png (500x442, 418K)

your life depends on being able to find someone to contract you. its a constant hunting game. that sounds more scary than being 100% guaranteed a paycheck as long as you show up to work and aren't a complete ass.

>Cute girls walk by
do they have nice dicks?

Easily fixable with Git, or any svn for that matter

this desu

I don't get how a version control system could help in this situation, unless you mean something like pull requests

As for the initial question, I don't find myself isolated enough, but I'm not bothered too much when I work where I am now. I often receive emails and annoying requests that change my schedule, but in the meatspace, when not around newbies it can be pretty enjoyable, my manager knows programming take time and requires some focus.

Would fucking love a full remote jo, provided that I don't have to do dump Agile Skype meetings everyday. That would be better than open space AND Skype meetings though. I hope contracts involving those kind of conditions are easy to spot early in the process...

is this a thinly veiled request thread for pic related?

Attached: 290.png (1024x1023, 506K)

more for me then

People around me while I'm programming is a negative. It's distracting. It's best when it's just me, my computer, and the problem at hand. I can socialize afterward, when I'm done or when I set it aside for a bit.

Aint that the fucking truth

>I don't get how a version control system could help in this situation, unless you mean something like pull requests
Undo fucking everything the guy did

#include

Attached: images_30.jpg (739x415, 36K)

fuck off normie

By shitposting on here with you Anons

Attached: 7cd5748c44ae6b018f0f26856efb97d1.jpg (480x360, 20K)

Sounds like you're a genius in your own mind but a sub performing code monkey in reality.

Fancy being such a brainlet that you need total silence, no interruptions and 'flow' to program.

What the hell is "agile" working? I see it mentioned all the time in shit like careers brochures, but I've never found a definition.

Advice from based JBlow youtube.com/watch?v=i7kh8pNRWOo&app=desktop

Sometimes, people go overboard with modularity and separate logic that should belong together. I see this a lot in OOP, often to the point of creating classes that don't correspond to any meaningful need to be its own class, just to stick to an object oriented paradigm.

Depending on what happened, this really isn't a bad thing on its own.

Here you go
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

Not him, but I would expect that both have it's pros and cons, I have a comfy job that I held for more than 3 years now but I'm constantly nervous about whether or not I can compete in the market should I lose this job or quit for whatever reason. I'd say that, when you freelance, at least you know how much you're worth most of the time.

Lecturing birds how to fly

My best programming is done under those conditions. Concentration and focus with no interruptions.

God knows I need as much practice talking to qts as possible. Would be good just for that.

Attached: 1553874049211.gif (680x383, 1.59M)

I would hate to work like that. The girls might notice how little coding I actually do during my day.

They are sabotaging you for personal gain. You're completing their work which makes them look good but not completing yours which makes you look bad.
Document the shit you've done then let them know in w/e way works that you have to do your main task to completion before putting out other peoples fires.

No, chad will now bring the qts to me

Based China, wish they did the same in the West, instead of having obnoxious female koders demanding equal pay

Attached: syntax error recipe.png (1255x2048, 1.73M)

I'm married so I'm not lonely at all at home, at work me and my colleagues strike a decent (sometimes at least) balance between chitchatting and working, so Its all good

Do you actually do machine learning shit? I hate how much of a buzz word it has become.

I have a math degree and I've done plenty of scientific computing work during school but now I'm doing low iq (albeit extremely not stressful) stuff at work.