I see a lot of people programming on Macs

I see a lot of people programming on Macs.

Is there any reason to program on Mac instead of Linux?

What is so great about macs that attracts so many programmers?

Attached: 1541204319336.jpg (360x479, 22K)

Is there any reason to do anything on Mac instead of Linux?

That is my question

Because it's pleasant to use compared to the hacky half-assed clone DEs used in Linux distros, and is useful in the way that many parts of it can be automated and customized. Plus it's a BSD userland underneath so much of it will be familiar to Linux users.

>DEs
Found your problem

Allows you to test your program on macOS, GNU/Linux and Windows on a single device.

>Is there any reason to program on Mac instead of Linux?
You need a Mac if you're doing any native iOS or MacOS programming.

The only real reason.
Just use mint to code for linux.

macOS workspaces are god-tier.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: parrot-love.jpg (1180x790, 50K)

Gnome or KDE can be gussied up and foggoty too.

Duh. Shove your semantics up your ass, they've called it linux since the 90's and that won't change. It's a colloquial term for all those fucking gnu distros, don't tell me your so socially inept you can't even keep up with modern English?

Most people probably get a Macbook because it looks nice and they see other people using them. Apple is good at marketing.

Its a copypasta poking fun at RMS a lazy jew riding the coat tails of others hard work.

haha he fell for it

It has actual software

If you are programing Mac applications you are going to need a Mac. Bash scripting is compatible with Mac OS X so maybe that is why also.

Damn, I'm an idiot

If you see something long winded like that without any real contextual trigger it is often satire around these parts...often but not always.

go back to where you came from

Mactards are total dumbfucks.

Attached: ยป Ultimate Circumcision_ CastrationGet Default - amputation and regeneration Get Default ___.jpg (320x446, 22K)

Well for one thing it has (for the time being) plenty of the major professional software suites such as Adobe Creative Cloud while also supporting UNIX commands. Just set up brew and you basically have all the good aspects of Windows and Linux in one OS. Let's face it, nobody really likes windows for anything other than proprietary software and muh vidya

> cd coders

and all GNU things that have alternatives are unironically shit.

>Is there any reason to program on Mac instead of Linux?

If you already use Linux and like it, the only reason is Apple software development.

While there's a whole variety of reasons why someone would use a Mac for software development, they are usually not something which either Linux or Windows can directly substitute, like:
1. Apple ecosystem development
2. Preference towards mac hardware or OSX UI
3. Company-issued laptop for UNIX-y development, or something similar for university

For 1, Apple forces you to use OSX, so Linux is a no go.
For 2, the user just wants OSX, and doesn't desire Linux
For 3, the company/school uses standard hardware/software, and if Linux is needed, it will probably be accessible via a jumpbox

/thread