As a coding exercise for myself...

As a coding exercise for myself, I'm considering writing my own Jow Forums browser whose main goal is to make the site be text-only. Am I better off writing a standalone browser complete with its own rendering engine and whatnot, or should I make a website instead that gets a thread's page's HTML and trims the fat off of it before sending it back to the user's browser?

Attached: logo.png (192x192, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/siavash119/qtchan
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just ripoff clover and make it proprietary with a $5 entry fee. Change the UI up a bit and no one will really notice if they can't see the code. Make some easy cash.

Attached: daffy.jpg (640x598, 70K)

>that pic
the linux duck is in a cartoon?

that's daffy duck, you absolute retard

Not him but it's a fucking joke retard

Jow Forums has an API, why in the world would you want to parse the page's html? Or write a standalone browser? Literally just use the API and consume it with the frontend you write

Attached: 1532571916113.png (1164x1738, 2.17M)

excellent bait and what a bite you got

Attached: 1543353347670.jpg (267x323, 7K)

Text only image board eh

Because api can go away or change. Html will always be there until the whole site dies.

I doubt the API is ever going to go away, and APIs have versioning for a reason. Does the slight to null chance of the API dying justify going through the hell of inefficiently parsing the fucking HTML? My ass it does.

Attached: 655f71f26a9729104615098bb0933899.jpg (225x332, 12K)

You realize that the website is just a JavaScript frontend right? It just takes json data and renders it

Have you ever even right clicked and viewed the source? Jow Forums has been based on json data for years.

for $x in /4chanthread
return $x/post/text()

why do we need an api again

learned something new today, I always thought Jow Forums was server rendered, thanks anons

Based and crackpilled

what. this website is static html pages

but clover already has a text only mode

>the linux duck
Kek

My sides; thanks for the laugh user

Attached: 77.png (129x133, 42K)

parse the rss feed

Just fork qtchan and remove image support.
github.com/siavash119/qtchan