How did people meet before mobile phones and internet were invented? I legitimately don't get it

How did people meet before mobile phones and internet were invented? I legitimately don't get it

Attached: 12746u.preview.jpg (512x398, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bbPqAI_wFzY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Classified ads (and the "agony column") in the newspaper
Also, clubs and churches

How do people meet period? I've never made a new friend since 6th grade.

You would call the landline and ask for the person you wanted to talk to. Then the both of you would agree on time and place and be on time. In case you wanted to meet with multiple people you would then each call the other people. Also everyone had kinda their spots, like cafes or similar where you would have been found if not in house. Generally i fine people where much more on time and reliable back then.

Carrier pigeons before we killed them all

Manual labor jobs, sports, church, and neighbors mainly. The goal is really to meet a "hub" friend who knows a lot of people, then you slowly meet their friends and they become your friends over time.

Attached: diner old men.jpg (960x639, 133K)

ham radio

Attached: lifeonhf_perfectlife.jpg (500x488, 67K)

I don't even know how people meet with mobile phones and internet.

Based

We weren't oversocialized bug people

>agony column
what’s that

Attached: image.jpg (729x638, 258K)

I've never made a friend.

Attached: groudon.jpg (225x225, 5K)

>church

youtube.com/watch?v=bbPqAI_wFzY

when I was younger (a teenager in the 90s, beginning of the 00s), your friends of school will show you other people. You could go to the park and talk with group of other kids. If that was too much, you could go to your local mall with specialized stores about hobbies (anime, roleplaying games, videogames, books,etc) and meet people with the same interests.

I never did it, thought.

People used to go out and socialize

country dance halls

bars have always been, and continue to be, one of the best meeting places..

I do sometimes meet new people but it's always superficial and everybody seems to be busy adulting. How do adults even bond? It seems so difficult.

>I never did it, thought.
FeelsBadMan

Stand on a box and start shouting.

This isn’t a Monty Python sketch.

>adulting

Attached: monopoly _20190211_191005.png (842x625, 701K)

I imagine it was a lot like the movie Dazed and Confused, which nobody born after the Internet will ever be able to identify with

that movie sucked ass. all bullying, no tits

Everyone in that movie would be in jail under today's nanny state regime. Sad that being a bugman on a leash has replaced those beer blasts. I remember when students could smoke on HS grounds.

/soc/ doesn't want people that aren't already normalfags

Basically, more specifically:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place

People would generally have home-life, work-life, and then one or many third places for their social life.

OP's picture is one example, and I still go to local diners just to socialize with a meal, though most people my age have their face in their phone.

Clubs, orders, and fraternities were especially common for single males and back in the day. The important thing most people forget is that they provided more than provide a place to meet, they were a societal safety net. They would serve food for cheap, employ the down-and-out members, be a network for opportunities all around, raise funds for medical treatment, hardships, widowed wives of members, etc.

This all worked because it was a shared responsibility, so people both valued the institution and felt obligated to put their time, money, and effort into it.

They still exist (clubs, obviously), but they are usually only filled with older members, and are a shadow of their former selves. It doesn't have to be that way, though.

Out of all the negative social changes in the USA, I think the general rejection of the needs of the community in the pursuit of individual success is one of the most obvious.

>How do adults even bond? It seems so difficult.
After meeting people, they do by putting in a lot of effort to meet up. It's as simple as that.

well me gran said gramps literally fell into her dick first but i think it was a joke

Organizations like that have two flaws that caused their decline. First, they depend on the community that they anchor being very persistent over a long period of time. This is at odds with the fact that the best way to get ahead in life is being willing to move to a new house, job or city, and to do so repeatedly over the years. Second, they're a bit like the old internet of the late 80s: They function well if most people in them are trustworthy and competent, but they aren't very resilient in the face of people actively trying to game the system. They lose all their advantages if you start building that resilience in: they become formal bureaucratic things, like an insurance company.

They went outside.

I agree entirely in the flaws, though I don't think the need for a third place in general ever went away, and that almost any heavily social institution is susceptible to those two flaws; that's human nature.

Those two flaws are also more pronounced when people are more disconnected from those immediately around them than ever.