Why did we go backward?

Why did we go backward?

Attached: crt vs lcd.jpg (1149x1476, 710K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode-ray_tube#Ionizing_radiation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Am I brainlet for liking motion blur? I feel like fast moving shit shouldn't be perfectly clear, it reduces the sense of motion to me.

I like how people will pull all these bullshit tests out their ass, but when you actually see these monitors in person, playing actual content like movies and games, the flat-screens always look better.

Bigass screens at lower weight without the hassle of a projector setup.

MORE MONEY FOR CHEAPER PRODUCTS IS THE WAY FORWARD!!!!

Now go botpost on another website, newfag.

Attached: bots.jpg (1349x1488, 285K)

> cheaper to make
> better colors
> thinner
> there's barely 60+ fps content widely available to this day
> much more energy efficient
120Hz OLED is the future.

CRT causes cancer remember

depends on the context, depends how significant it is. Sometimes it just sort of sucks, and honestly there is no reason to add more motion blur because if something is moving in your field of vision (be it on a screen or in real life) it will blue a bit anyways; why add more?

Breathing air causes cancer too.

Wait what? I have two CRTs

Attached: 1552528241369.png (600x617, 323K)

not the way I do it

F

F

rest in pieces

subjective opinions don't make you a brainlet

LCD is much more profitable.

This. There's nothing wrong with liking something unless it's literally hurting others

you're a fucking retard. your brain already blurs objects which are fast moving by default, why the FUCK do you want even more added by shitty monitor response times?

this is Jow Forums, anyone without the same brain as me is a retard

And even then it's debatable

F
I hope you kept your anti-Nuclear radiation shades on.

Correction: CRT's from the 50's
everything after had leaded glass

>OLED
0/10

Two things: power consumption and physical size/weight. Most people buying monitors don't care much about response rate because they aren't playing fast-paced games.

Cost, size, weight, durability, refresh rate, etc.
We can make LCD panels almost any size. The largest consumer CRT TVs were only 32", and those weighed about 150lbs.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode-ray_tube#Ionizing_radiation

We're fine now.

Attached: ulmb.jpg (1468x266, 122K)

Attached: VRB.png (724x459, 50K)

>Willingly firing an electron beam at your face for hours
no thanks, homos

>Photons are the same thing as electrons
How fucking dumb are you?

I don't want to go back to 25fps crap, so fuck off.

CRT still have superior black levels and colors

>Photons are the same thing as electrons
they aren't...

He was doing this newfag thing where they purposefully misquote you to make it seem like you said something wrong. Ignore him, he's a stupid /b/tard who got lost. He will wander back to his newfag containment board soon enough.

Alienman brings me joy.

Attached: alien.gif (127x189, 770K)

>Am I brainlet for liking motion blur?
Yes

>I feel like fast moving shit shouldn't be perfectly clear, it reduces the sense of motion to me.

Fast moving objects are clear in real life while you track them with your eyes. They should only have blur if they're moving and your eyes are stationary.

Move your head left and right then up and down all while keeping your eyes on a fixed point. Now do that in a video game with motion blur. It's just a fuck load of blur where it's not physically supposed to be... at least it is when you have working eyes and are actively paying attention/tracking the moving objects.

Background elements should blur with only moving object that have your focus staying perfectly clear. Simulated motion blur effects fail because they do not know where your eyes are looking.

Oh yeah and

>video game
Please fuck off. We don't need you nu-males here.

Nostalgia is a meme. You never owned a CRT.

Attached: 1554597668363.jpg (1148x2114, 1.18M)

This

Attached: rofl.gif (220x123, 113K)

High FPS games like CS 1.6 was like a totally different (better) game on a good CRT vs the equivalent LCD. Zoomers will never know the feel.

Attached: F8834D87-9320-4370-B890-CF68F11C9ACA.jpg (443x455, 96K)

Size matters and projectors are not very convenient for most rooms (though if it is a special room for watching films projector is king, nothing compares to big picture).

use VSYNC, retard

>Pre 2000s gaming
>Vsync

Are you even old enough to post here?

le v face get out rrreeeeeer xddddd

Yes, you are a brainlet, because your eyes/brain are the ones creating the motion blur, not the thing you're looking at

Same reason we ditched infinitely superior plasma and OLED
90% of people don't care and will buy whatever they're told, and even defend it

Attached: DmrgVPYUwAAfP5h.jpg (691x722, 83K)

Low bait

Do you eat bananas? Eating a banana exposes you to more radiation than using a CRT for over a month.

You can play modern games on a CRT as well.

i agree, it is the one thing that is missing for example in animation for me

I feel like I'd rather try to get a CRT monitor than some overpriced pile of gamer bullshit just to not have ghosting (is that really too much to fucking ask for?)

Your eye's blurring effect doesn't work on monitors because they are a flat plane.
You're not looking out a window when you're looking at a screen, so the eyes don't blur shit.
Which is why motion blur exists.

Plasma and oled get burn-in. they can't be used as PC monitors.

>Am I brainlet for liking motion blur?

Motion blur added by games (though interpolation, not framebuffer alpha bullshit) is based. Monitor blur is bullshit. The former makes it easier to track objects, the latter does the opposite.

"why yes im 16, what gave it away?"

This.

Back then I played on cafes with CRT games were smooth as fuck.

When my dad bought us a PC and with the advent of flat screen monitors, I never knew why our PC was laggy as fuck since the 7 year old me didnt know about refresh rates and shit.

>not owning a 165Hz monitor

Attached: 951.png (474x711, 90K)

>paying the nvidia tax

CRTs blink and it's annoying as fuck, you can see it very clearly with peripheral vision even with high frequency monitors. It's stupid and it used to drive me mad. God bless the LCD

we sacrificed quality for form factor and portability

all half life engine games felt completely different on a CRT

The good old days man, i went batshit insane when i got my Doom copy and played the shit out of it with my dad, goddamn it i miss the old geezer RIP in piece old man if you only knew how bad things turned out...

Attached: 1531379630446.png (719x768, 753K)

>finally finally FINALLY get the new fashionable lcd thing that's getting memed everywhere
>turn it on to play doom 3
>grayish
>blurry
>laggy
>shit

I felt betrayed.

I Vsync'd with my Voodoo 2 SLi, are you even old enough to post here?

>mfw I got the monitor for free due to a shipping error

Attached: 1480286984294.png (500x560, 16K)

based

t. retard

To be honest, it depends. Typically, when you focus on something moving and follow it with your eyes, there is no visible motion blur. That only happens when you don't actively focus on moving things.

I wonder if you could estimate this with eye tracking and render only the focussed parts.

>this expensive professional use CRT is better than this cheap 15 year old lcd!

i can't be in the same room with a running crt because of the high-pitched noise they emit
boomers can't hear it tho

We already have a thread for this. Also 240hz strobe my nigger

the heat makes me feel sick desu, but i have strong nostalgia for crt and analogue tv

Attached: giphy-3.gif (500x690, 891K)

>infinitely superior
>plasma and OLED
Yeah no I guess you never owned either of those. I like to use my monitors for longer than 5 minutes before burn in or OLED rot kicks in thank you very much. And even when they actually were used for TVs the downsides of plasma were not worth the one upside of better contrast. And I will not pay literally 3 times the money to have a TV with a fucking expiration date even if the colours are indeed great compared to most TVs.

that's prolly what your parents thought after meeting you

What, is 165 Hz an Nvidia only thing?

Dubs of truth. Being square and retarded is totally ok. :)

you're gonna get double the cancer. sorry lad

CRT gives off more radiation

Less than a banana though

Show me a CRT that is the size of an LCD.
Also >2019
>using LCD still

LCDs come in all sizes, so my old 17" CRT is the size of an LCD.

Are you comparing shutter vs no shutter? Because you know otherwise this picture is bullshit.

Enjoy your input lag. You realize FreeSync works on CRTs now?

>unbelievably heavy
>dangerous toxic waste, millions are sitting in warehouses because it's difficult to safely dispose of them
>hurt your eyes
>blurry as hell
>make noise even though their sole purpose is to display images

don't worry, we made a huge leap forward getting rid of these pieces of shit. just looking at my crt tv gives me anxiety. whenever i move out and get rid of it, it's going to be absolute hell trying to move it and dispose of it safely.

A REMINDER
There are no flat screen CRTs.

>Not using greentext

I play fast paced shooters but im using a crappy tv, what monitor under 200 should i buy

Xg2402 by viewsonic. Best 144hz mobitor for its price range

Double the cancer. Double the fun.
It's the answer that you're after with the cathode ray gun.

Attached: double-mint-gum_1024x1024.jpg (640x480, 30K)

Like you said yourself, fast moving objects aren't perfectly clear already due to your brain, you don't need something to add even more blur to it.

CRT still have superior black levels and colors

We didn't. We sidestepped. We got better resolution, thinner builds, and lighter builds in exchange for a worse frame refresh in comparison to the best CRT tvs.

But as someone who took a 32-Inch Trinitron CRT TV to college my freshman year, and a 32" LCD to college my sophmore year, I can tell you that I have no interest in going back to the days of tube TVs.

This. I had to lug a 170 lb TV out of my truck, across a parking lot, up a flight of concrete steps, and up 3 flights of stairs, and then set it on top of a shoulder height dresser. Shit fucking sucked. Even back in those days, I'll higher resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio, lower refresh rate, and 40lbs of weight (including the box, which has handles) over lugging around a CRT. Besides, the refresh rate is already solved if you want to put enough money into your set.

Lmao i remember watching on my 4:3 set, shit fucking sucked because everything was 16:9. Before that i remember having a 17" or so set.

I had pic related, and paid like 350 bucks to get a 32" Olevia LCD from Circuit City back when it was closing down. Moving this was a god damned nightmare.

Attached: triniton.jpg (1024x768, 354K)

Superior to TN maybe.

see

Looks similar to my last crt. My fav was my black and white 13" one i had in my room. Shit was $20 new and was great for watching simpsons reruns at 9pm. Had a wire running across the room, tripped on it and it smashed. Shit sucked.

So this is why i used to be able to go 1 vs 32 in online shooter games back in the 90's?

rip

crts are heavy, bulky and use more power
I don't see why you'd go back