What are your opinions about Slackware Jow Forums?

I'm curious about this.

Attached: bluepiSW.jpg (232x227, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slack
youtube.com/watch?v=KE5FVKbQ4ow
team.net/mjb/hawg.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Last time I used it, it rm -rfd my whole drive when I tried upgrading the packages
10/10 would install again

slackware is GNU/Linux for windows users.

think about it:

- you have to install every program, besides the most basic ones, from some homepage after you downloaded it individually
- installing things takes time and often will break your system
- upgrading to new versions successfully relies on 99% sheer luck
- slackware had it's naming scheme altered by skipping from slackware 4 to slackware 7. like windows did multiple times as well, changing from version to year-based release names to simple names to version
names again.
- slackware still retains the same basic functions without any real innovation like windows does since 1.0. all they add is some more blingbling in the DE.
- slackware users are uncaring, egoistic children that think they are being clever for using a cumbersome operating system for a mundane reason. in windows, that is "GAEMS!!!!", in slackware "NO DEPENDENCY
MANAGEMENT MEANS FREEDOM!!!"
- they both have their own operating system cult leaders. bill gates vs that volkerding guy
- slackware and windows both dont care about support for architectures other than x86. only lately, after lots of nagging and threats, they have released a half-assed 64-bit version that breaks constantly.
ARM, PPC, they all will never see any slackware or windows on them.

SLACKWARE = GNU/WINDOWS

Attached: 1340541397959.jpg (302x320, 23K)

>and often will break your system
lol no
Stopped reading after that.

Slackware is the best Linux distro there is,

Linux does not get any better than Slackware

This. It's a rock solid distro. Boring really.

>- you have to install every program, besides the most basic ones, from some homepage after you downloaded it individually
I wrote slackbuilds and wrote down the required dependencies, so I can simply install it by executing my shell script
there's also slackbuilds.org
>- installing things takes time and often will break your system
tracking dependencies yeah
if you don't install new lib that isn't compatible with -14.2 then you're fine
the same goes for trying to install new lib on debian stable
>- upgrading to new versions successfully relies on 99% sheer luck
not true
>- slackware had it's naming scheme altered by skipping from slackware 4 to slackware 7. like windows did multiple times as well, changing from version to year-based release names to simple names to version names again.
means nothing
>- slackware still retains the same basic functions without any real innovation like windows does since 1.0. all they add is some more blingbling in the DE.
distros are simply linux kernel + programs, distros don't make anything new
>- slackware users are uncaring, egoistic children that think they are being clever for using a cumbersome operating system for a mundane reason.
again distros are simply linux kernel + programs, there's not much different between a certain distros
>- slackware and windows both dont care about support for architectures other than x86.
slackware is only being maintained by one person, so that makes sense unlike giant megacorporation like microsoft

I've been using it for nearly 18 months as my main OS. Four of my computers run it - 3 stable, 1 current branch.

It's an excellent, solid distribution which is the most Unix-like. It will teach you a lot about Linux. Once you've scaled the learning curve it's a great experience. Also the community is first-rate. I've tried other distros since but they're not as good, I always end up returning. I feel totally in control of my system. If something has screwed up, it's because I did it.

It's very unixy. I like it. The only issue one might have is that bleeding edge stuff isn't practical to install, but if you want bleeding edge stuff you should be using a rolling-release distro in the first place.
Manual dependency management is an adjustment. You can use slapt-get or other tools to do it for you, but I like to stick to the defaults with Sbo.
The main thing I wish other distros would take from slackware is the commitment to modify sources as little as humanly possible. This should have been a commitment for all distros starting in the 90s, but it wasn't so now we're stuck with a million distros with minor incompatibilities.

On another note, I find void to feel like a modern rolling-release slackware in some ways.

Wisdom

>- you have to install every program, besides the most basic ones, from some homepage after you downloaded it individually
sbopkg and slackbuilds - you have a generic automatic pkg manager just like your gay fedora
>slackware and windows both dont care about support for architectures other than x86. only lately, after lots of nagging and threats, they have released a half-assed 64-bit version that breaks constantly.
ARM, PPC, they all will never see any slackware or windows on them.
what are you talking about cunt, slack has at least ARM and Alpha ports
2/10 bait made me reply
>

Unironically this.
Install Gentoo.

waste of time, just buy macbook and use macOS

it's called slackware because the developers are slackers

>that logo
looks very 90s graphic design desu

you have probably never seen circular dependency conflict
I have no idea what people do in that situation, but it happens even nowadays
(had it this year on debian bedrock strata, and just dropped it, waste of time)
on slackware you just compile both packages against themselves

nobody download packages "from homepage"
we have our ports (slackbuilds) and just use them
it's not like in BSD but pretty close to

it's only unstable on current, but what distro isn't

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slack

youtube.com/watch?v=KE5FVKbQ4ow

This guy gets it.

Attached: subgenius.jpg (469x338, 44K)

>I have no idea what people do in that situation
Use a non-shit package manager. So just about anything other than apt.

>it's only unstable on current, but what distro isn't

I've just started using current, I'll see how it goes. I can't use 14.2 since it doesn't support my nvme drive.

Everything is great so far, I imagine I just have to be careful about updates and checking dependencies.

Apt is an exceptionally bad package manager, I'm not surprised. Even something as basic as installing multiple package versions side-by-side leads to dependency hell. I'm amazed Debian got this popular despite this.
Considering the state of apt, sure, no package manager at all is better than a shit package manager. But luckily, good ones exist (Guix, Portage).

i wish slackpkg supported multiple repos

slackpkg+ does

>Normal and relaxed slackware users responding to cult members.
I would never know if slackware wasn't being discussed, its weird that actual people use linux.

have another (You)

Attached: excellent-quality.jpg (680x681, 53K)

Novelty OS

>Have dependency manager
>Tries to uninstall a text editor
>The whole OS gets uninstalled
Imagine being this retarded to use anything else than slackware

>this is what slackwarefags delude themselves into believing.

Attached: 1527130853361.png (650x650, 13K)

I use it for my home server and for kiosk devices.
I really just werks. tm

>On another note, I find void to feel like a modern rolling-release slackware in some ways.
i think arch fits that role a bit more, especially considering the aur and slackbuilds.

I like it and I used it for years, but 14.2 is super long in the tooth, so I've moved everything to Gentoo while waiting for 15.0 to come out. And even then, if and when 15.0 does come out, I might be tempted to just stay on Gentoo.

Attached: 1550937287573.jpg (499x499, 130K)

The first time I used it I was so lost and found out how inefficient it was to manually install slackbuilds and the fact that it doesn't have packages in its main manager.

But then I grew up and used slpkg, sboui and slackpkg+ that support multiple libraries and mirrors.

It's really not that bad. It made me more comfortable with installing something that doesn't exist or from source. Also, supports appimages which is nice.

Use it for a year and let's see what you think. Sure some things might require some extra work to get em running, but it's not that difficult really. The system isn't supposed to be updated repeatedly. it's built to last and not upgrade every damn week. A solid OS.

I just wish I can get some time after graduation and help the team maintain the scripts and all.

It's the ultimate cracksip of the GNU/Linux world. Comfy/10.

I run slackware as my daily driver for work. Multimonitor, winshits 8 in a vm for that one odd application I can't replace, vpn connection to my amazon aws document server, and a rats nest of other assorted servers and python scripts I use constantly and cant live without. The init system is caveman simple, just chmod +x the relevant script in /etc/rc.d. Slackware just fucking works.

It's the only distro I feel truly comfortable with, everything else is abstracting more and more away from the user's immediate access and comprehension: LVM, systemd with binary logs, apt-get install, pulse audio, etc etc. I just need my work computer to work, nothing fancy or sexy.

Minor complaint is the package mgt, so I installed sbopkg for something with a lot of dependencies. Just do sbopkg -i {pkgname} and it fetches everything for you.

>If something has screwed up, it's because I did it.

THIS, so fucking much. Slackware reminds of that Unix story about the industrial power drill by Milwaukee Tool, The Hole Hawg.

team.net/mjb/hawg.html

Slackware is The Hole Hog of linux distros.

this
>literally one (1, read as one) dictator developer
yeah no, Fedora rocks.
Dnf works as expected, literally just undoes the transactions instead of deleting everything like apt

It lacks all the things that make Linux in 2019 usable. If you want to see why Linux in 2005 was a fucking joke; install this.

nostalgia.
my first distro was slackware 7 in 1998 or so

Good read.